Skip to content

Pettine might wait another game to name starter.

The Browns Board
52 35 2.4k
  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Splitting reps is not good at this point. Both performances were very discouraging, but what I saw out there last night was a guy in Manziel who needs to take more time to develop. I know Hoyer looked pretty bad, but it's hard to get into a rythym when one series is marred by penalties/bad snap and the other stalled quickly. Give Hoyer the reigns, give Manziel time to grow. Pretty simple looking at the film last night to make that call.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Agreed. Hoyer should start the first three games and Pettine can reassess during the bye week.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Hoyer should start. Johnny panicked under pressure.

  • cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Hoyer should Start without having to look over his shoulder prematurly. (Which he has been doing from the start of camp). Take away all the dropped passes by WRs for both QBs and this "compitition" isnt even close. I watch Redskins 2nd string wrs do 360's on the dead run to catch a ball thrown way behind them, as well as the ones that hit them in the numbers.

    When Hoyer came in the second time last night after the 2nd pick. He hit Gordon in stride in the numbers with one guy to beat for a TD or at least to be on the doorstep. (Dropped) And then Hawkins drops an easy TD pass. And dont give me shit about it was behind him. Thats a Fucking Loser Statement. That throw was only where he could caught it we paid him decent money to make those catches. ( Every throw isnt going to be on a TEE)

    Hoyers inaccuarcies are less than that of JF and thats just a fact.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Why is it that just about every commentator (and anyone else with a football brain) knew that the 2 series alternating was a bad idea well before this disaster ever started? He should have kept his word to JM at a fair shot with the 1's both in practice and in game 2 just as he did for Hoyer in game 1.

    I said before the game the decision had already been made for Hoyer. This was a setup to make that decision palatable for Browns fans. Unfortunately it backfired since Hoyer had a bad game as well.

  • TypicalBrownsT TypicalBrowns wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Hoyer should still start but the window is much closer than I thought.

  • C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Agree with those who say the eventual starter needs reps. He'll, even Earnhardt Jr said it. Both of our QBs are not getting enough time with the receivers or the offense they're running. Hoyer and Manziel are 2 different types of QBs and the rest of the team and the coaches have to have time to adjust to them. Name a starter and go with him.

  • Agree with those who say the eventual starter needs reps. He'll, even Earnhardt Jr said it. Both of our QBs are not getting enough time with the receivers or the offense they're running. Hoyer and Manziel are 2 different types of QBs and the rest of the team and the coaches have to have time to adjust to them. Name a starter and go with him.

    cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @cuwoohio said:

    Agree with those who say the eventual starter needs reps. He'll, even Earnhardt Jr said it. Both of our QBs are not getting enough time with the receivers or the offense they're running. Hoyer and Manziel are 2 different types of QBs and the rest of the team and the coaches have to have time to adjust to them. Name a starter and go with him.

    This shoulda been done two months ago.

  • C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

  • Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @cuwoohio said:

    Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    Only upside to this would be figuring out quicker if hes the guy. But no development comes from it.

    I dont want to be sitting in First Energy Field and get the bird from JF just because im booing him after he just threw his 3rd int of the half.

  • Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    D Dste Ace wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @cuwoohio said:

    Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    The problem with JF starting at this point is that he isn't Andrew Luck. He isn't close to being ready.

    He has major happy-feet. Several times last night, with a strong pocket he started dancing and I lost

    count of the throws he made off his back foot. He has to learn to go through his progressions, step up

    int the pocket and deliver the ball with authority.

  • Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @cuwoohio said:

    Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    I don't think anyone is sold but with the early bye you can still do exactly what you're talking about while giving him another month to develop.

  • cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I think I see now why they kicked Bernie Kosar off the broadcast team. Hed have a field day with JF, Hoyer and these WRs

  • Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    MasterDogM MasterDog wrote on last edited by MasterDog
    #18

    @cuwoohio said:

    Honestly, I'm not sold on Hoyer as the starter. We're basing his worth on 2 games last year and the 1st game was not pretty. I say go with JF and let the pieces fall where they may. Note, I said Johnny Football, not the guy the coaches are trying to mold into John Manziel.

    When are people going to get it.

    Johnny Football is a style that can only work in the back yard, highschool and college.

    The improvise shit that folks throw around all predraft is nothing but a product of chaos football and a superior supporting cast. He tried to dance and run yesterday without much success. He was chased down from BEHIND by a 3rd STRING DE yesterday.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Call Romeo Crennel and find out if you can borrow that coin he tossed.

    WSS

  • B BrownsFanatic wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Start johnny football. Remember how russel wilsons struggled almost his entire rookie season, if we have to go through that go through it. We drafted him in the 1st round so lets get him all the experience. Throw him in the fire vs pittsburgh

  • bjh2130B bjh2130 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I don't remember how Russell Wilson struggled at all? He had 3k yards 25 plus tds and 10 ints.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #22

    All pettine has shown Me so far is hes a nincompoop.

  • D Demoted wrote on last edited by Demoted
    #23

    It was a dumb move to say a deadline in the first place. You have the owner trying to shove Manziel down Pettine's throat and you have a new HC who wasn't first, Second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth choice that might be in over his head.

  • Start johnny football. Remember how russel wilsons struggled almost his entire rookie season, if we have to go through that go through it. We drafted him in the 1st round so lets get him all the experience. Throw him in the fire vs pittsburgh

    D Demoted wrote on last edited by Demoted
    #24

    @brownsfanatic said:

    Start johnny football. Remember how russel wilsons struggled almost his entire rookie season, if we have to go through that go through it. We drafted him in the 1st round so lets get him all the experience. Throw him in the fire vs pittsburgh

    Russell Wilson has brains , something that Manziel is missing which is why he can never be compared to Russell.