Skip to content

Changes / Improvements during the Bye-Week

The Browns Board
91 32 2.9k
  • I'm beginning to think that our ST and D coordinators may need to be upgraded during the off-season. Our coach shouldn't do two jobs (didn't we already make that mistake) and we definitely have the talent on those two units.

  • Too early to talk Coord. changes IMO... long way to go yet.

    ST Coord. is on his third (?) regime now, I believe. So he has done something right. Tinkering with personnel is underway and ought to suffice.

    Pettine's choice to take the reins to Pettine's D is O'Neil. That is not going to change after one season... and personally I would not want it to. I'm more than willing to invest a year in a DC's (and a D scheme's) growth to reap dividends down the line.

  • Well, it's a win now league and those coordinators need to demonstrate their ability to coach players and a system that works. I'm just not seeing that right now. Everything on D is not working right now. Running, passing, pass rush, it all needs to get a lot better because I'm not that invested in O'Neil.

  • I can't agree with starting Sheard and Kruger at the same time unless you're convinced the team you're facing runs on early downs. Both players aren't very good in space and them dropping into a hook/ curl/flat defense is especially frightening.

  • As much as it pains me to say this, start Johnny Football. I don't think this team will win any more than 6 games this season and I want to see him make it or fail going into next year so the circus will be only one year.

  • Our offense is not the issue.

  • As much as it pains me to say this, start Johnny Football. I don't think this team will win any more than 6 games this season and I want to see him make it or fail going into next year so the circus will be only one year.

    @baconhound said:

    As much as it pains me to say this, start Johnny Football. I don't think this team will win any more than 6 games this season and I want to see him make it or fail going into next year so the circus will be only one year.

    Clearly it did not pain you enough...

    @tiamat63 said:

    I can't agree with starting Sheard and Kruger at the same time unless you're convinced the team you're facing runs on early downs.

    Simultaneous Sheard + Krugs would be damn close to fielding a 5-man line...

    Last time I can remember that as a base D in a game would be all the way back in George Allen's days as WSH's HC... I forget who it was he sprung it on, but it shut their run game down cold.

    @frenchie said:

    Well, it's a win now league and those coordinators need to demonstrate their ability to coach players and a system that works. I'm just not seeing that right now. Everything on D is not working right now. Running, passing, pass rush, it all needs to get a lot better because I'm not that invested in O'Neil.

    Win now? Keep changing Coord's every year and it'll be win never. And you seem unwilling to wait even a year...

  • As much as it pains me to say this, start Johnny Football. I don't think this team will win any more than 6 games this season and I want to see him make it or fail going into next year so the circus will be only one year.

    @baconhound said:

    As much as it pains me to say this, start Johnny Football. I don't think this team will win any more than 6 games this season and I want to see him make it or fail going into next year so the circus will be only one year.

    Yeah because it's the QB that is losing us games.

  • @baconhound said:

    As much as it pains me to say this, start Johnny Football. I don't think this team will win any more than 6 games this season and I want to see him make it or fail going into next year so the circus will be only one year.

    Yeah because it's the QB that is losing us games.

    @mark-o said:

    Yeah because it's the QB that is losing us games.

    Hoyer hasn't been the issue through 3 games but at the end of the year if Manziel hasn't played it will be a QB battle all over again and is that what this franchise needs?

    I see what the Jets are going through right now giving Geno Smith his chance and it has set them back 2 years.

  • @BaconHound

    I'm sitting here trying to figure out what fucking games your watching? Have you watched a Browns game yet this season?

  • @BaconHound

    I'm sitting here trying to figure out what fucking games your watching? Have you watched a Browns game yet this season?

    @sienn13 said:

    @BaconHound

    I'm sitting here trying to figure out what fucking games your watching? Have you watched a Browns game yet this season?

    Do you think they drafted Manziel to sit him indefinitely? At some point he is going to play. I'd rather have him get his shot at 1-2 with obvious problems on this team then have Hoyer go 6-10 and then see Johnny start 1-3 next year.

  • @mark-o said:

    Yeah because it's the QB that is losing us games.

    Hoyer hasn't been the issue through 3 games but at the end of the year if Manziel hasn't played it will be a QB battle all over again and is that what this franchise needs?

    I see what the Jets are going through right now giving Geno Smith his chance and it has set them back 2 years.

    @baconhound said:

    Hoyer hasn't been the issue through 3 games but at the end of the year if Manziel hasn't played it will be a QB battle all over again and is that what this franchise needs?

    I see what the Jets are going through right now giving Geno Smith his chance and it has set them back 2 years.

    If the offense continues to play like this, in particular Hoyer, I hope we never see Manziel play.

  • @baconhound said:

    Hoyer hasn't been the issue through 3 games but at the end of the year if Manziel hasn't played it will be a QB battle all over again and is that what this franchise needs?

    I see what the Jets are going through right now giving Geno Smith his chance and it has set them back 2 years.

    If the offense continues to play like this, in particular Hoyer, I hope we never see Manziel play.

    @mark-o said:

    If the offense continues to play like this, in particular Hoyer, I hope we never see Manziel play.

    I'd love this to be true but traditionally, and maybe this is where the new Browns will be different, a QB drafted in the 1st round plays in his first 2 seasons.

    This has been true of everyone except for Aaron Rodgers in the last 10 years but he was sitting behind a hall of famer and face of the franchise

  • @mark-o said:

    If the offense continues to play like this, in particular Hoyer, I hope we never see Manziel play.

    I'd love this to be true but traditionally, and maybe this is where the new Browns will be different, a QB drafted in the 1st round plays in his first 2 seasons.

    This has been true of everyone except for Aaron Rodgers in the last 10 years but he was sitting behind a hall of famer and face of the franchise

    @baconhound said:

    I'd love this to be true but traditionally, and maybe this is where the new Browns will be different, a QB drafted in the 1st round plays in his first 2 seasons.

    This has been true of everyone except for Aaron Rodgers in the last 10 years but he was sitting behind a hall of famer and face of the franchise

    Hell, trade him tomorrow to the Vikings...they're on their 3rd string QB now. I'm sure they'd give us something good for him.

  • @baconhound said:

    I'd love this to be true but traditionally, and maybe this is where the new Browns will be different, a QB drafted in the 1st round plays in his first 2 seasons.

    This has been true of everyone except for Aaron Rodgers in the last 10 years but he was sitting behind a hall of famer and face of the franchise

    Hell, trade him tomorrow to the Vikings...they're on their 3rd string QB now. I'm sure they'd give us something good for him.

    @mark-o said:

    Hell, trade him tomorrow to the Vikings...they're on their 3rd string QB now. I'm sure they'd give us something good for him.

    I'd throw a party but teams typically don't admit they got duped

  • I think bacon was baking when watching.

  • Not admitting they got duped....Cassel is on IR...Bridgewater just went to the locker room for xrays on an ankle injury. They need a QB now.

  • @Bacon

    Keep praying at your Saint Johnny of the Clipboard altar.

  • Not admitting they got duped....Cassel is on IR...Bridgewater just went to the locker room for xrays on an ankle injury. They need a QB now.

    @mark-o said:

    Not admitting they got duped....Cassel is on IR...Bridgewater just went to the locker room for xrays on an ankle injury. They need a QB now.

    No the Browns would be admitting it. They have come out saying that Johnny's the guy, he's on pace, he's looking good, he's their guy. When we all know they now wish Jerry drafted him.

  • http://offtherecordsports.com/2014/09/29/browns-sticking-with-hoyer-over-manziel/

    Excerpt from the above linked article:

    According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the Browns may have re-thought the position, but that doesn’t mean they are making a change.

    “In preseason, it made sense #Browns would reevaluate QB position after the bye. They have. It’s still Brian Hoyer. Not time for Manziel yet,” Rapoport tweets.