Skip to content

Hawkins

The Browns Board
23 11 1.2k
  • Cinci has to regret letting Hawkins go. Big time. Sometimes you don't know what you got till it's gone.

    @manzier said:

    Cinci has to regret letting Hawkins go. Big time. Sometimes you don't know what you got till it's gone.

    Pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Thanks Joni.

  • He's definitely been productive. Hopefully now that he broke the seal with his 1st TD, he starts scoring more frequently.

    About Austin, am I the only one who thinks he's being underutilized??? He's averaging 3 receptions and 5 targets per game and 12 ypc. I know he' not going to produce like its 2009 again, but with his size and hands, I'm just a bit suprised they dont try and get him the ball a little more. Especially considering all our other WR's are smaller shiftier guys. He's the only WR that can use his body to establish position and shield off the DB's.

  • I love Hawkins. I loved him in the Michael Irvin/Dallas Cowboys reality show. I wanted him to win.

    I love what he's doing for the Browns right now.

    I think he's a long term answer in the slot once Gordon comes back.

    But I'm also really, really impressed with #18! Taylor Gabriel! He's making plays man! That's all this kid is doing right now is making plays!

  • If I remember correctly, Cincinnati wanted to resign him but Cleveland offered him more money than Cincinatti was willing to match. Also I believe we will end up having to give Cincinatti a compensatory pick.

  • We won't have to give Cincinnati anything. The NFL hands out compensatory picks.

    And while the algorithm for how compensatory picks are handed out is convoluted at best, I don't believe an undrafted free agent will get you anything. Compensatory picks are handed out based on the drafted position of the free agents you lose.

  • If I remember correctly, Cincinnati wanted to resign him but Cleveland offered him more money than Cincinatti was willing to match. Also I believe we will end up having to give Cincinatti a compensatory pick.

    @slimdawg said:

    If I remember correctly, Cincinnati wanted to resign him but Cleveland offered him more money than Cincinatti was willing to match. Also I believe we will end up having to give Cincinatti a compensatory pick.

    Nope, no compensatory pick. Just a FA signing.

  • If I remember correctly, Cincinnati wanted to resign him but Cleveland offered him more money than Cincinatti was willing to match. Also I believe we will end up having to give Cincinatti a compensatory pick.

    @slimdawg said:

    If I remember correctly, Cincinnati wanted to resign him but Cleveland offered him more money than Cincinatti was willing to match. Also I believe we will end up having to give Cincinatti a compensatory pick.

    @thaak said:

    We won't have to give Cincinnati anything. The NFL hands out compensatory picks.

    And while the algorithm for how compensatory picks are handed out is convoluted at best, I don't believe an undrafted free agent will get you anything. Compensatory picks are handed out based on the drafted position of the free agents you lose.

    @manzier said:

    Nope, no compensatory pick. Just a FA signing.

    for clarification, Cinci tendered an 'Exclusive Rights FA' contract, meaning they had first refusal on any contract; if they refuse, they are entitled to a compensatory pick equivalent to where the player was drafted. However, since Hawkins was a UDFA, no pick is 'traded'.

    We'd be in the same position with Gipson, FWIW.

  • @manzier said:

    Cinci has to regret letting Hawkins go. Big time. Sometimes you don't know what you got till it's gone.

    Pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Thanks Joni.

    @the-gipper said:

    Pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Thanks Joni.

    lol.. Who's next? Melanie?

    @slimdawg said:

    About Austin, am I the only one who thinks he's being underutilized??? He's averaging 3 receptions and 5 targets per game and 12 ypc. I know he' not going to produce like its 2009 again, but with his size and hands, I'm just a bit suprised they dont try and get him the ball a little more. Especially considering all our other WR's are smaller shiftier guys. He's the only WR that can use his body to establish position and shield off the DB's.

    Austin is essentially seems to have settled into the "possession" role. Which for his size and relative lack of speed seems appropriate.

    As for try... no. Take what the D gives. Mix it up. Trying to target a WR often ends badly.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Thanks Joni.

    lol.. Who's next? Melanie?

    @slimdawg said:

    About Austin, am I the only one who thinks he's being underutilized??? He's averaging 3 receptions and 5 targets per game and 12 ypc. I know he' not going to produce like its 2009 again, but with his size and hands, I'm just a bit suprised they dont try and get him the ball a little more. Especially considering all our other WR's are smaller shiftier guys. He's the only WR that can use his body to establish position and shield off the DB's.

    Austin is essentially seems to have settled into the "possession" role. Which for his size and relative lack of speed seems appropriate.

    As for try... no. Take what the D gives. Mix it up. Trying to target a WR often ends badly.

    @tour2ma said:

    Austin is essentially seems to have settled into the "possession" role. Which for his size and relative lack of speed seems appropriate.

    As for try... no. Take what the D gives. Mix it up. Trying to target a WR often ends badly.

    I agree with this. Hoyer doesn't seem to play favorites and is spreading it around pretty good. I'd guess Austin gets targeted when he's open, eh? Seems to have good hands, but maybe a little slow. So not open as often as the younger guys. And not likely to provide the same YAC either. A very good role receiver, but not a 1 or 2 anymore.

  • We won't have to give Cincinnati anything. The NFL hands out compensatory picks.

    And while the algorithm for how compensatory picks are handed out is convoluted at best, I don't believe an undrafted free agent will get you anything. Compensatory picks are handed out based on the drafted position of the free agents you lose.

    @thaak said:

    We won't have to give Cincinnati anything. The NFL hands out compensatory picks.

    And while the algorithm for how compensatory picks are handed out is convoluted at best, I don't believe an undrafted free agent will get you anything. Compensatory picks are handed out based on the drafted position of the free agents you lose.

    Gotcha, I had it in my head that it was all about the players production the next year.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Thanks Joni.

    lol.. Who's next? Melanie?

    @slimdawg said:

    About Austin, am I the only one who thinks he's being underutilized??? He's averaging 3 receptions and 5 targets per game and 12 ypc. I know he' not going to produce like its 2009 again, but with his size and hands, I'm just a bit suprised they dont try and get him the ball a little more. Especially considering all our other WR's are smaller shiftier guys. He's the only WR that can use his body to establish position and shield off the DB's.

    Austin is essentially seems to have settled into the "possession" role. Which for his size and relative lack of speed seems appropriate.

    As for try... no. Take what the D gives. Mix it up. Trying to target a WR often ends badly.

    @tour2ma said:

    lol.. Who's next? Melanie?

    Austin is essentially seems to have settled into the "possession" role. Which for his size and relative lack of speed seems appropriate.

    As for try... no. Take what the D gives. Mix it up. Trying to target a WR often ends badly.

    Nah I wasnt talking about trying to force any throws to him, more like making him 1st read on more plays. Similar to the play they ran in back to back games which both resulted in TD's. I absolutely see him as a possession type reciever, he reminds me of Joe J. alot but I swear I remember Joe being more involved than what Austin is though

  • @the-gipper said:

    Pave paradise and put up a parking lot. Thanks Joni.

    lol.. Who's next? Melanie?

    @slimdawg said:

    About Austin, am I the only one who thinks he's being underutilized??? He's averaging 3 receptions and 5 targets per game and 12 ypc. I know he' not going to produce like its 2009 again, but with his size and hands, I'm just a bit suprised they dont try and get him the ball a little more. Especially considering all our other WR's are smaller shiftier guys. He's the only WR that can use his body to establish position and shield off the DB's.

    Austin is essentially seems to have settled into the "possession" role. Which for his size and relative lack of speed seems appropriate.

    As for try... no. Take what the D gives. Mix it up. Trying to target a WR often ends badly.

    @tour2ma said:

    lol.. Who's next? Melanie?

    With Candles in the Rain

    Austin is essentially seems to have settled into the "possession" role. Which for his size and relative lack of speed seems appropriate.

    As for try... no. Take what the D gives. Mix it up. Trying to target a WR often ends badly.

    We will target Gordon when he returns.

  • @slimdawg said:

    If I remember correctly, Cincinnati wanted to resign him but Cleveland offered him more money than Cincinatti was willing to match. Also I believe we will end up having to give Cincinatti a compensatory pick.

    @thaak said:

    We won't have to give Cincinnati anything. The NFL hands out compensatory picks.

    And while the algorithm for how compensatory picks are handed out is convoluted at best, I don't believe an undrafted free agent will get you anything. Compensatory picks are handed out based on the drafted position of the free agents you lose.

    @manzier said:

    Nope, no compensatory pick. Just a FA signing.

    for clarification, Cinci tendered an 'Exclusive Rights FA' contract, meaning they had first refusal on any contract; if they refuse, they are entitled to a compensatory pick equivalent to where the player was drafted. However, since Hawkins was a UDFA, no pick is 'traded'.

    We'd be in the same position with Gipson, FWIW.

    @gftchris said:

    for clarification, Cinci tendered an 'Exclusive Rights FA' contract, meaning they had first refusal on any contract; if they refuse, they are entitled to a compensatory pick equivalent to where the player was drafted. However, since Hawkins was a UDFA, no pick is 'traded'.

    We'd be in the same position with Gipson, FWIW.

    Not to be nit-picky here, but compensatory is the wrong terminology here. They would have been compensated with a pick equal to where he was drafted. So if he were drafted as a 3rd rounder, and they failed to match the Brown's offer, they would have owed Cincinnati a 3rd round pick.

    Compensated with a pick is different than compensatory picks. Maybe not in plain English, but in NFL football business jargon it is.

  • @thaak said:

    We won't have to give Cincinnati anything. The NFL hands out compensatory picks.

    And while the algorithm for how compensatory picks are handed out is convoluted at best, I don't believe an undrafted free agent will get you anything. Compensatory picks are handed out based on the drafted position of the free agents you lose.

    Gotcha, I had it in my head that it was all about the players production the next year.

    @slimdawg said:

    Gotcha, I had it in my head that it was all about the players production the next year.

    Trades are often done in such a way that a team can owe a pick within a range based on production for the new team.

    But this has nothing to do with signing a free agent.