Skip to content

Where did this team come from?

The Browns Board
19 11 1.0k
  • A look at who is responsible for getting the foundation of this team put together:

    QB Hoyer - Lombardi (UFA)

    QB Manziel - Farmer (Draft, 1st)

    RB Tate - Farmer (UFA)

    RB West - Farmer (Draft, 3rd)

    RB Crowell - Farmer (UDFA)

    FB Small - Farmer (UFA)

    WR Gordon - Heckert (S.Draft, 2nd)

    WR Austin - Farmer (UFA)

    WR Hawkins - Farmer (RFA)

    WR Benjamin - Heckert (Draft, 4th)

    WR Gabriel - Farmer (UDFA)

    TE Cameron - Heckert (Draft, 4th)

    TE Dray - Farmer (FA)

    LT Thomas - Savage (Draft, 1st)

    LG Bitonio - Farmer (Draft, 2nd)

    C Mack - Mangini (Draft, 1st)

    RG Greco - Heckert (Trade, 7th rounder)

    RT Schwartz - Heckert (Draft, 2nd)

    NT Rubin - Savage (Draft, 4th)

    DE Taylor - Heckert (Draft, 1st)

    DE D. Bryant - Lombardi (FA)

    DE A. Bryant - Lombardi (Draft, 7th)

    DE Winn - Heckert (Draft, 6th)

    DT Hughes - Heckert (Draft, 3rd)

    MLB Dansby - Farmer (UFA)

    OLB Mingo - Lombardi (Draft, 1st)

    OLB Kruger - Lombardi (UFA)

    OLB Sheard - Heckert (Draft, 2nd)

    MLB Robertson - Heckert (UDFA)

    MLB Kirksey - Farmer (Draft, 3rd)

    CB Haden - Heckert (Draft, 1st)

    CB Gilbert - Farmer (Draft, 1st)

    S Whitner - Farmer (UFA)

    S Gipson - Heckert (UDFA)

    CB Skrine - Heckert (Draft, 5th)

    CB Williams - Farmer (UDFA)

    CB Desir - Farmer (Draft,4th)

    @thenew23 said:

    And a look at what Ray Farmer has brought in since spiring

    QB Manziel - Farmer (Draft, 1st)

    RB Tate - Farmer (UFA)

    RB West - Farmer (Draft, 3rd)

    RB Crowell - Farmer (UDFA)

    FB Small - Farmer (UFA)

    WR Austin - Farmer (UFA)

    WR Hawkins - Farmer (RFA)

    WR Gabriel - Farmer (UDFA)

    TE Dray - Farmer (FA)

    LG Bitonio - Farmer (Draft, 2nd)

    MLB Dansby - Farmer (UFA)

    MLB Kirksey - Farmer (Draft, 3rd)

    CB Gilbert - Farmer (Draft, 1st)

    S Whitner - Farmer (UFA)

    CB Williams - Farmer (UDFA)

    CB Desir - Farmer (Draft,4th)

    Thanks for that list! Very very impressive. Indeed.

    THIS is why all the naysayers who talk and talk about old GM's and their drafts are just spewing idiotic crap.

    Cant wait to see what he does next!

  • 37 players listed:

    Ray Farmer - 16

    Mike Lombardi - 5

    Tom Heckert - 13

    Eric Mangini - 1

    Phil Savage - 2

    37 players listed:

    Drafted - 20

    Free Agency - 10

    Undrafted - 5

    via Trade - 1

    Supplemental Draft - 1

    For those complaining about the "Browns draft history," remember we've had 5 different people trying to put this team together in the past 7 years...

    @thenew23 said:

    37 players listed:

    Ray Farmer - 16

    Mike Lombardi - 5

    Tom Heckert - 13

    Eric Mangini - 1

    Phil Savage - 2

    Nice... thanks for pulling this together.

    I was actually wondering about this the other day and thought Heckert might be either #1 or a close #2...

    Then I started wondering what chuckles was up to since his DUI...

    Then I started wondering if Farmer could use a "Special Assistant".

    Clearly I have too much time on my hands...

    What's cool is that:

    • Farmer has had such an immediate impact... does not hurt that it also happened to be a positive one.
    • Heckert's fingerprints are still clearly visible.
  • Here is an interesting list...all the Browns GMs in history.

    Paul Brown Browns 1946 1962 Head Coach/General Manager
    Harold Sauerbrei Browns 1963 1973 General Manager
    Peter Hadhazy Browns 1974 1984 General Manager
    Ernie Accorsi Browns 1985 1991 Executive VP of Football Operations/General Manager
    Bill Belichick Browns 1992 1995 Head Coach/de facto General Manager
    Ozzie Newsome Browns 1995 1995 Director of Pro Personnel
    Dwight Clark Browns 1999 2001 General Manager
    Butch Davis Browns 2002 2004 Head Coach/General Manager
    Phil Savage Browns 2005 2008 General Manager
    George Kokinis Browns 2009 2009 General Manager
    Tom Heckert Browns 2010 2012 General Manager
    Michael Lombardi Browns 2013 2013 General Manager
    Ray Farmer Browns 2014 2014 General Manager
  • Heckert was our best GM since the return... by far. I'm not mad with Farmer, but I wonder what could have happened if Holmgren would've kept Mangini on with Heckert putting the team together?? I know it's speculative and a waste of energy, but I remember the day they announced that Pat Shurmur was taking over for Mangini, and I literally almost vomited in my mouth... I tried to defend the guy, as I always do, but that was a hard one...

    Also, the 2012 draft is a head-scratcher. Given Hecker's awesome positive influence on this team, it's impossible for me to believe he had anything to do with trading up for Richardson or drafting Weeden at 22... If you ever saw the movie Draft Day, I can see Hecker being Kostner's character and fat a** Holmgren being the Owner who's trying to "make a splash."

    But I keep reading about the "trade down" to get Gilbert, and people talking about the "Browns track record" drafting... Well look at this list, nobody has been given any time to put a team together, and nobody has been our GM long enough to even develop a "track record"... Just because the helmet stays the same, doesn't mean this is the same organization...

    Just some thoughts...

  • Heckert was our best GM since the return... by far. I'm not mad with Farmer, but I wonder what could have happened if Holmgren would've kept Mangini on with Heckert putting the team together?? I know it's speculative and a waste of energy, but I remember the day they announced that Pat Shurmur was taking over for Mangini, and I literally almost vomited in my mouth... I tried to defend the guy, as I always do, but that was a hard one...

    Also, the 2012 draft is a head-scratcher. Given Hecker's awesome positive influence on this team, it's impossible for me to believe he had anything to do with trading up for Richardson or drafting Weeden at 22... If you ever saw the movie Draft Day, I can see Hecker being Kostner's character and fat a** Holmgren being the Owner who's trying to "make a splash."

    But I keep reading about the "trade down" to get Gilbert, and people talking about the "Browns track record" drafting... Well look at this list, nobody has been given any time to put a team together, and nobody has been our GM long enough to even develop a "track record"... Just because the helmet stays the same, doesn't mean this is the same organization...

    Just some thoughts...

    @thenew23 said:

    Heckert was our best GM since the return... by far. I'm not mad with Farmer, but I wonder what could have happened if Holmgren would've kept Mangini on with Heckert putting the team together?? I know it's speculative and a waste of energy, but I remember the day they announced that Pat Shurmur was taking over for Mangini, and I literally almost vomited in my mouth... I tried to defend the guy, as I always do, but that was a hard one...

    Also, the 2012 draft is a head-scratcher. Given Hecker's awesome positive influence on this team, it's impossible for me to believe he had anything to do with trading up for Richardson or drafting Weeden at 22... If you ever saw the movie Draft Day, I can see Hecker being Kostner's character and fat a** Holmgren being the Owner who's trying to "make a splash."

    But I keep reading about the "trade down" to get Gilbert, and people talking about the "Browns track record" drafting... Well look at this list, nobody has been given any time to put a team together, and nobody has been our GM long enough to even develop a "track record"... Just because the helmet stays the same, doesn't mean this is the same organization...

    Just some thoughts...

    Heckert may have been the best since the return, but he wasn't very good.

    Haden, ward his first year which turned out good - Everything else about 2010 pretty much a stinker. 2011 we had Taylor, sheard, Cameron, Skrine. Still a bit of average. 2012 is a fail minus a couple like Benji, winn.

    We're better off now and heckert wasn't as good as some people believe.

    Mangina didn't get a fair shake, but the belichik disciples haven't tended to turn out successful anywhere.

  • Pretty cool thread idea, nice job. I believe all of the current Steelers not that any of you give a damn are from Colbert with the exception of MAYBE Keisel. Nice thread once again. You all need to post more threads like this for yourselves in the future. Tour has also been doing a really nice job with his line breakdowns.

  • Pretty cool thread idea, nice job. I believe all of the current Steelers not that any of you give a damn are from Colbert with the exception of MAYBE Keisel. Nice thread once again. You all need to post more threads like this for yourselves in the future. Tour has also been doing a really nice job with his line breakdowns.

    @vagitron said:

    Pretty cool thread idea, nice job. I believe all of the current Steelers not that any of you give a damn are from Colbert with the exception of MAYBE Keisel. Nice thread once again. You all need to post more threads like this for yourselves in the future. Tour has also been doing a really nice job with his line breakdowns.

    Curious, how long has Colbert been there and who was before him? And did old man Rooney used to make picks back in the day? cause Im wondering who picked all those HOF 70's players.

  • @vagitron said:

    Pretty cool thread idea, nice job. I believe all of the current Steelers not that any of you give a damn are from Colbert with the exception of MAYBE Keisel. Nice thread once again. You all need to post more threads like this for yourselves in the future. Tour has also been doing a really nice job with his line breakdowns.

    Curious, how long has Colbert been there and who was before him? And did old man Rooney used to make picks back in the day? cause Im wondering who picked all those HOF 70's players.

    @manzier said:

    Curious, how long has Colbert been there and who was before him? And did old man Rooney used to make picks back in the day? cause Im wondering who picked all those HOF 70's players.

    Dick Haley, Todd Haley's dad was the GM during the Noll Era and is often credited for that 74 draft. Colbert Started in 2000.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Heckert was our best GM since the return... by far. I'm not mad with Farmer, but I wonder what could have happened if Holmgren would've kept Mangini on with Heckert putting the team together?? I know it's speculative and a waste of energy, but I remember the day they announced that Pat Shurmur was taking over for Mangini, and I literally almost vomited in my mouth... I tried to defend the guy, as I always do, but that was a hard one...

    Also, the 2012 draft is a head-scratcher. Given Hecker's awesome positive influence on this team, it's impossible for me to believe he had anything to do with trading up for Richardson or drafting Weeden at 22... If you ever saw the movie Draft Day, I can see Hecker being Kostner's character and fat a** Holmgren being the Owner who's trying to "make a splash."

    But I keep reading about the "trade down" to get Gilbert, and people talking about the "Browns track record" drafting... Well look at this list, nobody has been given any time to put a team together, and nobody has been our GM long enough to even develop a "track record"... Just because the helmet stays the same, doesn't mean this is the same organization...

    Just some thoughts...

    Heckert may have been the best since the return, but he wasn't very good.

    Haden, ward his first year which turned out good - Everything else about 2010 pretty much a stinker. 2011 we had Taylor, sheard, Cameron, Skrine. Still a bit of average. 2012 is a fail minus a couple like Benji, winn.

    We're better off now and heckert wasn't as good as some people believe.

    Mangina didn't get a fair shake, but the belichik disciples haven't tended to turn out successful anywhere.

    @bbedward said:

    Heckert may have been the best since the return, but he wasn't very good.

    Haden, ward his first year which turned out good - Everything else about 2010 pretty much a stinker. 2011 we had Taylor, sheard, Cameron, Skrine. Still a bit of average. 2012 is a fail minus a couple like Benji, winn.

    We're better off now and heckert wasn't as good as some people believe.

    Mangina didn't get a fair shake, but the belichik disciples haven't tended to turn out successful anywhere.

    That 2011 seems pretty damn good to me. 4 starting caliber players

  • @bbedward said:

    Heckert may have been the best since the return, but he wasn't very good.

    Haden, ward his first year which turned out good - Everything else about 2010 pretty much a stinker. 2011 we had Taylor, sheard, Cameron, Skrine. Still a bit of average. 2012 is a fail minus a couple like Benji, winn.

    We're better off now and heckert wasn't as good as some people believe.

    Mangina didn't get a fair shake, but the belichik disciples haven't tended to turn out successful anywhere.

    That 2011 seems pretty damn good to me. 4 starting caliber players

    @jcam222 said:

    That 2011 seems pretty damn good to me. 4 starting caliber players

    Yea and we still have all of em, and that was 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th? Rd so good across the board, heckerts best draft. 2012 a bit unforgivable though, even if it's claimed weeden was holmgrens pick.

  • Great thread, thanks for the post.

    A very welcome change of pace from the intellectual giants wringing their hands over a backdrop of dreadful, snotty tears mumbling "Watkins this, Manziel that, we coulda, we shoulda.....AAAAHHH IM ANGRY!"

  • Good things are going to happen with Farmer. In an older thread I posted the Chiefs draft picks during his tenure from 2006-2012 as director of pro personnel. Can't find it now but the picks can be seen here.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/kan/draft.htm

  • Looking at this year's moves, I have a lot of faith in Farmer that he will make full use of those extra picks... This team is trending in the right direction...

  • Awesome thread.....thanks.

  • @manzier said:

    Curious, how long has Colbert been there and who was before him? And did old man Rooney used to make picks back in the day? cause Im wondering who picked all those HOF 70's players.

    Dick Haley, Todd Haley's dad was the GM during the Noll Era and is often credited for that 74 draft. Colbert Started in 2000.

    @vagitron said:

    Dick Haley, Todd Haley's dad was the GM during the Noll Era and is often credited for that 74 draft. Colbert Started in 2000.

    I could've sworn that Tom Donahoe and I think the other guy was a Tom or Bill Modrak.. when Cowher came in.

  • @manzier said:

    Curious, how long has Colbert been there and who was before him? And did old man Rooney used to make picks back in the day? cause Im wondering who picked all those HOF 70's players.

    Dick Haley, Todd Haley's dad was the GM during the Noll Era and is often credited for that 74 draft. Colbert Started in 2000.

    @vagitron said:

    Dick Haley, Todd Haley's dad was the GM during the Noll Era and is often credited for that 74 draft. Colbert Started in 2000.

    Already found this on Wikipedia(your answer is almost word for word too, strange eh?), but thanks anyway.

    @nickers said:

    I could've sworn that Tom Donahoe and I think the other guy was a Tom or Bill Modrak.. when Cowher came in.

    Thanks Nickers. Thats what I was looking for. It was Donahoe who was in there before Colbert, but I couldn't remember his name.

  • @vagitron said:

    Dick Haley, Todd Haley's dad was the GM during the Noll Era and is often credited for that 74 draft. Colbert Started in 2000.

    Already found this on Wikipedia(your answer is almost word for word too, strange eh?), but thanks anyway.

    @nickers said:

    I could've sworn that Tom Donahoe and I think the other guy was a Tom or Bill Modrak.. when Cowher came in.

    Thanks Nickers. Thats what I was looking for. It was Donahoe who was in there before Colbert, but I couldn't remember his name.

    @manzier said:

    Already found this on Wikipedia(your answer is almost word for word too, strange eh?), but thanks anyway.

    Thanks Nickers. Thats what I was looking for. It was Donahoe who was in there before Colbert, but I couldn't remember his name.

    How many ways can you word the above? Would you like it more in novel form? How about a haiku?