Skip to content

does character count?

The Browns Board
48 19 1.6k
  • Just a hypothetical. Was talking with a buddy a couple of weeks back about this and wondered how you guys felt.

    The genie makes you an offer. We sign Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick and the Browns will be favored to win the AFC Championship Game. Do you take that deal or do you stand pat?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    We sign Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick and the Browns will be favored to win the AFC Championship Game. Do you take that deal or do you stand pat?

    I do not see all four the same.

    I do not think "character" is an unchanging, "either you have it or you don't" quality.

    Two have gone through the criminal process and seem to have emerged as better men.

    Two are still in embroiled in their failings and I have no idea whether they are as yet, or ever will be, better men.

    So if the deal all or none... then none. But if I can choose, then I have a new QB and ILB.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Actually I think Michael Vick is the worst of the four. Torturing animals to death kidnapping peoples pets to murder them while you and your thug buddies jerk off to it is sick.

    (think about it, if it was your dog tied to a tree while pitbulls tore him apart and Mike Vick and a bunch of drunk punks stood around yapping and laughing like a pack of wild apes)

    Still the rest are pretty unsavory. I don't hate Adrian Peterson for switching his kid, I've been switched. Still beating a kid to a bloody mess is a little over the line. And I'm sure Rices girlfriend knew what kind of situation she signed on for. And when thugs get together thugs can get shot.

    But fuck them.

    Still as much as I enjoy my Cleveland Browns there's a limit as to the kind of people I will cheer for.

    WSS

    wait a sec, he kidnapped other people's animals? or was that and your jerk off comment hyperbole?

    @clevfan4life said:

    wait a sec, he kidnapped other people's animals? or was that and your jerk off comment hyperbole?

    No. Part of it included kidnapping folks pets (or adopting under shitty pretenses) for training purposes. The jerking off is hyperbole. I have no idea if any of them did anything besides laugh and cheer.

    WSS

  • Just a hypothetical. Was talking with a buddy a couple of weeks back about this and wondered how you guys felt.

    The genie makes you an offer. We sign Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick and the Browns will be favored to win the AFC Championship Game. Do you take that deal or do you stand pat?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Just a hypothetical. Was talking with a buddy a couple of weeks back about this and wondered how you guys felt.

    The genie makes you an offer. We sign Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick and the Browns will be favored to win the AFC Championship Game. Do you take that deal or do you stand pat?

    WSS

    Why would we need Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice? 😵

    Or how about including OJ Simpson and Rae Carruth in the mix?

  • Jeez I really don't think the hypothetical was that hard to understand.

    Apparently so.

    at least some of you guys figured it out.

    WSS

  • NO.

    That doesn't fix our qb situation, and I'm tried of kids trying to look up

    to players, only to find out they are child beaters, rapists, assaulters, and

    sick sumbeeches.

    NO. Because you can't be sure they will even be on the field all season, and you're

    worse off than before.

    NO.

    Next question....

  • Jeez I really don't think the hypothetical was that hard to understand.

    Apparently so.

    at least some of you guys figured it out.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Jeez I really don't think the hypothetical was that hard to understand.

    Apparently so.

    WSS

    The hypothetical is not hard to understand......but the answer(s) to it can be very difficult.

    You know.....like your favorite test: how much would you charge to swallow my sperm? Easy question, not hard to comprehend at all.....but a very difficult answer

  • @westside-steve said:

    Just a hypothetical. Was talking with a buddy a couple of weeks back about this and wondered how you guys felt.

    The genie makes you an offer. We sign Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick and the Browns will be favored to win the AFC Championship Game. Do you take that deal or do you stand pat?

    WSS

    Why would we need Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice? 😵

    Or how about including OJ Simpson and Rae Carruth in the mix?

    @the-gipper said:

    Why would we need Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice? 😵

    Or how about including OJ Simpson and Rae Carruth in the mix?

    Because I thought I had enough examples to make the point of the hypothetical.

    I think you might be the only guy that didn't get it.

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    Why would we need Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice? 😵

    Or how about including OJ Simpson and Rae Carruth in the mix?

    Because I thought I had enough examples to make the point of the hypothetical.

    I think you might be the only guy that didn't get it.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Because I thought I had enough examples to make the point of the hypothetical.

    I think you might be the only guy that didn't get it.

    WSS

    No, I got the hypothetical. I just don't think that a simple yes/no answer would suffice.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Because I thought I had enough examples to make the point of the hypothetical.

    I think you might be the only guy that didn't get it.

    WSS

    No, I got the hypothetical. I just don't think that a simple yes/no answer would suffice.

    @the-gipper said:

    No, I got the hypothetical. I just don't think that a simple yes/no answer would suffice.

    its a yes or no question. You can answer it yes or no and then pile on a big bunch of other shit if you want to but would you take the deal or not? That's all I asked.

    WSS

  • I would like to extend an olive branch to Michael Vick. He is welcome to enter my containment pens, unarmed and introduce himself to my animals. If his intentions are such, to make friends, I will even provide a ham hock necklace. I'll gladly clean the pens when he is done.

  • Actually I think Michael Vick is the worst of the four. Torturing animals to death kidnapping peoples pets to murder them while you and your thug buddies jerk off to it is sick.

    (think about it, if it was your dog tied to a tree while pitbulls tore him apart and Mike Vick and a bunch of drunk punks stood around yapping and laughing like a pack of wild apes)

    Still the rest are pretty unsavory. I don't hate Adrian Peterson for switching his kid, I've been switched. Still beating a kid to a bloody mess is a little over the line. And I'm sure Rices girlfriend knew what kind of situation she signed on for. And when thugs get together thugs can get shot.

    But fuck them.

    Still as much as I enjoy my Cleveland Browns there's a limit as to the kind of people I will cheer for.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Actually I think Michael Vick is the worst of the four. Torturing animals to death kidnapping peoples pets to murder them while you and your thug buddies jerk off to it is sick.

    I agree....

    Anyone who garners pleasure from watching other creatures suffer has a huge...MASSIVE....character flaw.......and a very dark, deep black hole in their heart....

    Vick could be lying in the road twitching like roadkill and I wouldn't even slow down....

  • man the black south/south raise people differently. peterson was disciplining his kid probably the same way he was disciplined. now using a switch is kinda crazy and hitting his kid in his sack....hopefully that was an accident (you know how those little fuckers squirm around).

    i used to get beat with a hot wheels track across my ass and legs and if i put up my hands in defense they would get hit.

    this pc bullshit with time outs and take away johnnie's cell phone is a far cry from what a lot of us went through decades ago. and you wonder why america is now a pussified nation.

    i'd sign peterson in a heart beat. vick changed his ways but he has nothing left to offer an nfl team. rice and lewis can go suck a dick.

    talent outweighs everything else IMO but character is a close second and can cancel the talent out if a player acts in such an egregious manner.

  • Touchy subject for some people. I really don't want to wade through the mud here (but I guess I will)...some animal lovers have a seriously biased view. From what I've read of over the years I get the feeling some people hate Vick more because of what he did to dogs, where I truly don't think they would hate him as much if he did the same to people. Weird.

    That being said I agree where a person takes pleasure seeing a dog torn apart by other dogs, or electrocuting them because they underperformed...wow that's effed up.

    Covering up a murder of a human being? No thanks.

    I'm with Mik on Peterson. It's an outdated method for sure and shouldn't be done, but at the same time we have become too soft. I'm guilty as charged in using time-out for my three-year old, but these days you can't spank a child without fear of people judging you and maybe even contacting child services. My parents, my mom in particular, used a wooden stick she kept on top of the fridge just for whacking me and my sister with it. In a pinch when she couldn't find that, it was the fly-swatter...you know the ones with the wire handle. I've heard stories about the hot wheels tracks but I never had to deal with that. Or a belt.

    Rice...immensely dumb move. We all know how our women can drive us absolutely nuts...but you can't hit them, ever. Depending on how he repents only time will tell. If he does it right I think he could be forgiven. I think there is a difference between being a regular woman abuser and making one really really stupid mistake. Again he should've never done it, and he needs to do something like some serious charity work or what have you to redeem himself.

    To answer the question though...I'd say yes to Peterson and need more time to see how Rice changes before yes to him. No to Vick and Lewis. And if I have to take all or none then I say none.

  • Yeah I'd hate Vick more if he did the same to the same amount of human. That would mean kidnapping people's children and torturing folks to death for fun. Yeah you got me there. That would be worse. But I don't want Idi Amin or Pol Pot as quarterback either.

    WSS

  • if vick did to humans what he did to dogs he be one of the more prolific serial killers in history.

  • Yeah I'd hate Vick more if he did the same to the same amount of human. That would mean kidnapping people's children and torturing folks to death for fun. Yeah you got me there. That would be worse. But I don't want Idi Amin or Pol Pot as quarterback either.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Yeah I'd hate Vick more if he did the same to the same amount of human. That would mean kidnapping people's children and torturing folks to death for fun. Yeah you got me there. That would be worse. But I don't want Idi Amin or Pol Pot as quarterback either.

    WSS

    Obviously he'd be locked up/on death row/executed if he did that. Not sure why the smart ass tone though. Did you read my post right?

    @miktoxic said:

    if vick did to humans what he did to dogs he be one of the more prolific serial killers in history.

    Indeed.

    @junkyard-dawg said:

    Yeah I don't really get people using that as justification for Dog Killer. The fact is he didn't kill humans and if he had he wouldn't be in the NFL, he would be on Death Row. To flip their justification: Some people act like Dog Killer was flushing Gold Fish down the toilet or smashing spiders on the wall and NOT torturing and massacring hundreds of dogs like a fucking gutless coward.

    There is that too. I guess my question is then, where should Vick fall between the two extremes? Right where he is today? More or less punishment?

  • Tmi1138

    Sorry no hostility meant.

    WSS

  • Just a hypothetical. Was talking with a buddy a couple of weeks back about this and wondered how you guys felt.

    The genie makes you an offer. We sign Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick and the Browns will be favored to win the AFC Championship Game. Do you take that deal or do you stand pat?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Just a hypothetical. Was talking with a buddy a couple of weeks back about this and wondered how you guys felt.

    The genie makes you an offer. We sign Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice, Ray Lewis and Michael Vick and the Browns will be favored to win the AFC Championship Game. Do you take that deal or do you stand pat?

    WSS

    Very good player, was washed up before punching his old lady, old, and fragile/old. I would take the deal if the other three made sure that Adrian Peterson used time outs with his kids so long as he is under contract with the Browns.

  • Tmi1138

    Sorry no hostility meant.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Tmi1138

    Sorry no hostility meant.

    WSS

    No worries. Thanks.