Skip to content

mock draft thread

The Browns Board
207 27 7.2k
  • Those were examples of what I've been reading, which is a LOT of reading.

    and my opinions are based on everything I've read.

    Otherwise, you see some great highlights, and great stats,

    and you end up drafting a "mad dog in a meat market".

    I hate that.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Those were examples of what I've been reading, which is a LOT of reading.

    and my opinions are based on everything I've read.

    Otherwise, you see some great highlights, and great stats,

    and you end up drafting a "mad dog in a meat market".

    I hate that.

    So a lot of reading of others opinions and if they influence you enough to agree with them, you assimilate those opinions as your own.

    Ok then.

  • Well, I'm not an arrogant person where I see video, and "know" that

    a player will be a great player in the NFL.

    That's how Phil Savage and Shottenheimer did it. A consensus of opinions by those

    who have videos of games - yeah, I consider that as part of my stupid opinions on the draft.

    I still maintain the right to disagree with you. I've watched video... but again, highlight films don't impress

    me when "expert" scout opinions of what they see otherwise tells a different story.

    You apparently would have drafted Braylon Edwards, Josh Gordon, and Manziel based on

    your "expert" viewing of their college videos. I wouldn't have.

    I'll stick to my way of being wrong, you stick to yours, see you after the draft.

  • yep....we can all watch tape and see how they play...but none of us have the inside scoop on their mental makeup, will to win, intelligence etc....thats a total crap shoot....

    so, just being fans with only tape and printed material to form our opinions, we almost HAVE to rely on the written word for some of those intangibles that aren't visible or apparent on tape.....

    In the end, it's 50/50 on every player in the draft.....you like him or you dont...and...he'll be good or he wont.......the end.

  • Well, I'm not an arrogant person where I see video, and "know" that

    a player will be a great player in the NFL.

    That's how Phil Savage and Shottenheimer did it. A consensus of opinions by those

    who have videos of games - yeah, I consider that as part of my stupid opinions on the draft.

    I still maintain the right to disagree with you. I've watched video... but again, highlight films don't impress

    me when "expert" scout opinions of what they see otherwise tells a different story.

    You apparently would have drafted Braylon Edwards, Josh Gordon, and Manziel based on

    your "expert" viewing of their college videos. I wouldn't have.

    I'll stick to my way of being wrong, you stick to yours, see you after the draft.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Well, I'm not an arrogant person where I see video, and "know" that

    a player will be a great player in the NFL.

    That's how Phil Savage and Shottenheimer did it. A consensus of opinions by those

    who have videos of games - yeah, I consider that as part of my stupid opinions on the draft.

    I still maintain the right to disagree with you. I've watched video... but again, highlight films don't impress

    me when "expert" scout opinions of what they see otherwise tells a different story.

    You apparently would have drafted Braylon Edwards, Josh Gordon, and Manziel based on

    your "expert" viewing of their college videos. I wouldn't have.

    I'll stick to my way of being wrong, you stick to yours, see you after the draft.

    I don't "know" anything. Even the most wise do not see to all ends. However after the remarkable busts selected by not only the Browns, but others teams as well in the last 10 years - It was then I realized that I have a pretty good eye for talent.

    Also, the air of arrogance you're feeling so palpable, is that I've done my homework to watch these people to be able to give an informed opinion on their abilities. I don't rely on word of mouth or what you see on ESPN which is pure nonsense. You have EVERY right to disagree with me, but I don't appreciate you disagreeing with me by using the opinion of another individual as the basis for your argument. That's petty to me.

    To address your last points about players. I bitched about Braylon, Kellen 'Solja Boy' Winslow (honestly only because of his health concerns, he was a premium receiving talent) Quinn, Maiava in the 2nd round, Mohammed Massaquai,(spell check) TJ Ward in the 2nd round, Montario Hardesty (again, healthy reasons AND trading up to get him) Brandon Weeden, and Manziel.

    Of those, I have proof of posts from my time on others forums of my opinion on said players well before the draft and a video of me cursing out half of the bar last year when we took Manziel. Aside from being wrong about Ward, the only other time I was glaringly wrong was about Haden when I said I felt he was a bit undersized and instead wanted Earl Thomas. Technically I wouldn't have been wrong as we would have either way had a top 2 player at their position if we had choosen Earl - but I was slightly off in my miscalculation of Joe. To this day, couldn't be happier about.

  • Ask anybody that remembers... I was a huge Joe Thomas hawk, and I wasn't alone

    about Joe Haden being THE pick.

    And all my other picks were wrong. Just let people disagree with you, and stop being

    offended about it.

    I ain't no scout, you are maybe, jimmy crack corn and I don't care. I agree to disagree with you on two players.

    Wait, you watched video of Haden.. and you were WRONG about him? LIS (that's a new acronym - "Laughing in Silence"

  • Ask anybody that remembers... I was a huge Joe Thomas hawk, and I wasn't alone

    about Joe Haden being THE pick.

    And all my other picks were wrong. Just let people disagree with you, and stop being

    offended about it.

    I ain't no scout, you are maybe, jimmy crack corn and I don't care. I agree to disagree with you on two players.

    Wait, you watched video of Haden.. and you were WRONG about him? LIS (that's a new acronym - "Laughing in Silence"

    @calfoxwc said:

    Ask anybody that remembers... I was a huge Joe Thomas hawk, and I wasn't alone

    about Joe Haden being THE pick.

    And all my other picks were wrong. Just let people disagree with you, and stop being

    offended about it.

    I ain't no scout, you are maybe, jimmy crack corn and I don't care. I agree to disagree with you on two players.

    Wait, you watched video of Haden.. and you were WRONG about him? LIS (that's a new acronym - "Laughing in Silence"

    I actually hummed this as I read it allowed and it had me laughing pretty hard.

    And thank you for telling me what the acronym meant, I have no idea what half of you kids these days are saying when I see things like that in type.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Those were examples of what I've been reading, which is a LOT of reading.

    and my opinions are based on everything I've read.

    Otherwise, you see some great highlights, and great stats,

    and you end up drafting a "mad dog in a meat market".

    I hate that.

    So a lot of reading of others opinions and if they influence you enough to agree with them, you assimilate those opinions as your own.

    Ok then.

    @tiamat63 said:

    So a lot of reading of others opinions and if they influence you enough to agree with them, you assimilate those opinions as your own.

    Ok then.

    I think that factoring in the opinions of "experts" is entirely within the scope of most of us ranking players. There are very few of us qualified to watch film and make that assessment without outside influence.

  • And thank you for telling me what the acronym meant, I have no idea what half of you kids these days are saying when I see things like that in type. Tiam

    ********************************

    Well,

    A. I had to tell you what it means, because I just made it up.

    B. Thanks for the lefthanded compliment, but chances are, I am older than you.

  • I think it would be well worth revisiting Draft Scouts after free agency, combine and individual college pro days are completed.

    Think I will make a hard copy now and compare the changes with those revisions.

    Right now I'm leaning towards Peat or Collins followed by best available ILB. A decent DT should still be there 2nd round unless there is a real standout WR we just can't pass on. All depends on free agency so all are wild guesses for now.

    Nothing wrong with reading others' opinions. When common themes emerge on a given player the odds are good that there's something to them. That's a lot different than reading one and hanging your hat on it.

    None of us have the time to invest in independent evaluation of over 2000 players. I use DraftScout to set the order I watch prospects in a given position. I spend more time on the O-line cause I want to. And when I spend time I like time-edited, but otherwise unvarnished, game tape.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I think it would be well worth revisiting Draft Scouts after free agency, combine and individual college pro days are completed.

    Think I will make a hard copy now and compare the changes with those revisions.

    Right now I'm leaning towards Peat or Collins followed by best available ILB. A decent DT should still be there 2nd round unless there is a real standout WR we just can't pass on. All depends on free agency so all are wild guesses for now.

    Hard copy? What's that? 😉 Consider Lightshot...

    https://app.prntscr.com/en/index.html

    DraftScout's movers are noted by arrows next to names... Already has been some movement at some positions, e.g., McKinney (ILB) started as a clear #1, but is now the #3 ILB and a 2nd rounder. AS of now DS rates no ILB's as first-round worthy. I think the top ILB prospects this year will end up being OLB converts. But you are correct, the Combine will shake up the rankings considerably.

    Peat and Collins look far from interchangeable to my eye. Collins is simply not fluid. Peat on the other hand is "like buttah".

  • Dawson out of TCU. Kid is a damn good football player but has character issues. If you can snag him mid to late round, it would be tempting. Then make sure he ends up under the wing of Dansby, Whitner and Craig.

  • Dawson out of TCU. Kid is a damn good football player but has character issues. If you can snag him mid to late round, it would be tempting. Then make sure he ends up under the wing of Dansby, Whitner and Craig.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Dawson out of TCU. Kid is a damn good football player but has character issues. If you can snag him mid to late round, it would be tempting. Then make sure he ends up under the wing of Dansby, Whitner and Craig.

    Dawson just stared showing up as a late 1st round OLB/ILB choice in the First-Pick sim.

    Two small DEs that may stand up as OLBs look interesting: Washington's Hauoli Kikaha and Missou's Markus Golden. I just started looking at Golden.

  • When I hear "character issues" I think:

    2nd chance, I'm maybe okay....maybe giving them a second chance....

    3rd/4th...drop like a hot rock.

  • Here is my first crack at a fanspeak mock draft. I would be pretty happy with this.

    12: R1P12
    DT DANNY SHELTON
    WASHINGTON
    19: R1P19
    OLB VIC BEASLEY
    CLEMSON
    43: R2P11
    OT JEREMIAH POUTASI
    UTAH
    77: R3P13
    WR DEVIN SMITH
    OHIO STATE
    108: R4P12
    TE TYLER KROFT
    RUTGERS
    112: R4P16
    G JOSUE MATIAS
    FLORIDA STATE
    139: R5P11
    WR VINCE MAYLE
    WASHINGTON STATE
    173: R6P13
    FB JALSTON FOWLER
    ALABAMA
    186: R6P26
    QB SEAN MANNION
    OREGON STATE
    204: R7P12
    C MAX GARCIA
    FLORIDA
  • Unless he fires up a spliff and shoots a puppy during the combine - not a chance Devin drops to the 3rd round. It'd sure be nice though.

  • Unless he fires up a spliff and shoots a puppy during the combine - not a chance Devin drops to the 3rd round. It'd sure be nice though.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Unless he fires up a spliff and shoots a puppy during the combine - not a chance Devin drops to the 3rd round. It'd sure be nice though.

    Yep, that's Fanspeak for ya, though.

  • @jafbf said:

    Pat Kirwan's first Mock for 2015 :

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pat-kirwan/25040060/nfl-mock-draft-no-1-marcus-mariota-jameis-winston-go-1-2

    #12 - Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa

    #19 - Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn

    Don't see the WR, not Farmer's MO.

    Mariota @ #1, and Winston @ #2.

    . . . and I don't want to hear any BS about us moving up to get Mariota . . . no freaking way.

    Dear god, no. First off, not a chance we invest a pick that high in OT and hopefully our scouts see some of the things brought to light on this board about Schreff. As for Coates? At 19 I'd rather just hold off and go WR in the 2nd round. I don't see him being worth a high 1st rounder.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Dear god, no. First off, not a chance we invest a pick that high in OT and hopefully our scouts see some of the things brought to light on this board about Schreff. As for Coates? At 19 I'd rather just hold off and go WR in the 2nd round. I don't see him being worth a high 1st rounder.

    I don't have a major problem @ 19 of taking OL, but @ 12 I'm really thinking DL.

    That's as of now, without Combine & FA info, plus assuming we still have those picks.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Dear god, no. First off, not a chance we invest a pick that high in OT and hopefully our scouts see some of the things brought to light on this board about Schreff. As for Coates? At 19 I'd rather just hold off and go WR in the 2nd round. I don't see him being worth a high 1st rounder.

    I don't have a major problem @ 19 of taking OL, but @ 12 I'm really thinking DL.

    That's as of now, without Combine & FA info, plus assuming we still have those picks.

    @jafbf said:

    I don't have a major problem @ 19 of taking OL, but @ 12 I'm really thinking DL.

    That's as of now, without Combine & FA info, plus assuming we still have those picks.

    At this point, I have zero issues with our first 2 picks being defense. I was waiting for PFF to release their Pass Rush Efficiency stats this year. I expected the Browns to do poorly, but they ranked dead last without the blitz.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/02/11/sig-stats-team-blitzing/

    That's unacceptable. Especially in a division that has two Olines on the rise in Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

    We need to not only get this defensive interior right against the run, but we need more firepower in getting after the QB. In a league now dominated by officials that wont let you breathe on a receiver, the only way to stop or slow the passing game is getting to the QB. Period.

  • In a draft that is very deep in olinemen, especially tackles, why draft one

    in the first round? And I'm always interested in oline high...

    I'm fine with whoever they draft, but I think if a team is looking for

    a legit #1 wr to step in... you really need to take one in the first round,

    because a lot of other teams are also looking for top flight wr's,

    and the #1 wr depth in this draft isn't all that deep.

    If there's one in the second round, great, that's just what I think.

    Just seems like the Browns are so close to really getting a fine roster intact,

    the needs are short, and the upgrading isn't as easy as in the past.

    That's a huge upside.


  • 12: R1P12



    WR AMARI COOPER

    ALABAMA




    19: R1P19



    OLB VIC BEASLEY

    CLEMSON




    43: R2P11



    OT T.J. CLEMMINGS

    PITTSBURGH




    77: R3P13



    TE DEVIN FUNCHESS

    MICHIGAN




    108: R4P12



    QB GARRETT GRAYSON

    COLORADO STATE




    112: R4P16



    DE ANTHONY CHICKILLO

    MIAMI




    139: R5P11



    ILB TAIWAN JONES

    MICHIGAN STATE




    173: R6P13



    DT MARCUS HARDISON

    ARIZONA STATE




    186: R6P26



    WR ANTWAN GOODLEY

    BAYLOR




    204: R7P12



    DT CHUCKY HUNTER

    TCU



    My first attempt this year