Skip to content

Former Bucs GM preferes Mariota over Winston at #1

The Browns Board
47 18 1.5k
  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #1

    http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/josh-freeman-experience-tilts-ex-bucs-gm-dominik-toward-mariota/2217350

    Interesting read. Mark Dominik (a personal hero of mine, actually) prefers Mariota over Winston and would rather see the Bucs take the Ducks signal caller at #1.

    Dominik has some experience in the situation, he's the guy who took Freeman - another massive, seemingly pro-ready QB with off-the-field concerns.

    The best part of the article, however, is this blurb:

    However, Dominik said it's unfair to compare Winston's issues to those facing Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel.

    "It's not like he's some bad kid," Dominik said. "I just think he's completely different to even Johnny Manziel. To compare those two is not fair to Jameis Winston at all. I truly believe Winston absolutely loves football and wants to work at it and puts everything into it whereas with Johnny, it was still questionable at this time last year, and it wasn't just off the field. He was getting kicked out of the Manning (passing) camp this time last year. Winston, I don't think, would ever do that. He loves football, so that's where you're excited about him.

    "But you've still got to go through the whole process and say, 'Can I trust him? Can I put him on the brochure of our football team three years from now and not be worried about him?' … That's the biggest thing I think Tampa is working through the next seven weeks."

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Lol...maybe that's why he is the "former" GM.

    I think Winston will have a better career if he screws his head on straight.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #3

    kinda Fd up that that is how most nfl personnel thought about manziel last year before the draft and we still handed in the ticket with his name on it.

    i'd take mariota over winston all day long. winston is freeman all over again. i'd compare mariota to more a kaepernik without the moxy.

  • MasterDogM MasterDog wrote on last edited by MasterDog
    #4

    Not sure how NFL teams can make the same mistake over and over again.

    When was the last time you saw a great QB in this league that don't have their head screwed on right?

    Winston is mentally challenged. How is this guy going to lead a locker room full of grown ass men?

    Mariota has it all. Physically and mentally. He's in the same Andrew Luck/P. Manning world of non stop studying of the game.

    Only knock on him is the "spread offense" he played in. David Carr had a decent first year coming from a spread offense. So, i don't think it matters as much as people think it does.

    Mariota hands down.

  • Not sure how NFL teams can make the same mistake over and over again.

    When was the last time you saw a great QB in this league that don't have their head screwed on right?

    Winston is mentally challenged. How is this guy going to lead a locker room full of grown ass men?

    Mariota has it all. Physically and mentally. He's in the same Andrew Luck/P. Manning world of non stop studying of the game.

    Only knock on him is the "spread offense" he played in. David Carr had a decent first year coming from a spread offense. So, i don't think it matters as much as people think it does.

    Mariota hands down.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @masterdog said:

    Not sure how NFL teams can make the same mistake over and over again.

    When was the last time you saw a great QB in this league that don't have their head screwed on right?

    Winston is mentally challenged. How is this guy going to lead a locker room full of grown ass men?

    Mariota has it all. Physically and mentally. He's in the same Andrew Luck/P. Manning world of non stop studying of the game.

    Only knock on him is the "spread offense" he played in. David Carr had a decent first year coming from a spread offense. So, i don't think it matters as much as people think it does.

    Mariota hands down.

    I can't.

  • Lol...maybe that's why he is the "former" GM.

    I think Winston will have a better career if he screws his head on straight.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by Tim Couch Pulls Out
    #6

    @bob806 said:

    Lol...maybe that's why he is the "former" GM.

    I think Winston will have a better career if he screws his head on straight.

    He's the former GM because he couldn't get along with Greg Schiano and that entire franchise essentially blew up because of it.

    He may have drafted Freeman, but he also drafted Gerald McCoy, Adrian Clayborn, Da'Quan Bowers, Mark Barron, Doug Martin, Lavonte David and signed Jamon Meredith, Carl Nicks, Vincent Jackson. He seems to follow the exact strategy that many on here are harping about - build from the interior.

    The fact that the Bucs couldn't win with the amount of talent they had is not an indictment of Dominik, its proof that you can build both lines and add solid defensive talent, but it's all for naught if you have a dumpster-fire quarterback situation.

    As for Winston, I agree. I think his off the field problems are less of concern than Manziel's by far. I also think Mariota is destined for mediocrity.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Along with Polian and Riddick, Dominick is one of the ones I watch ESPN's NFL Insiders to hear.

    Sounds like once burned, twice shy on Dominick's part except there weren't character questions about Freeman coming out of K-State, were there?

    (Aside: a google search to check popped up a reference to a Mark Sanchez rape investigation at USC.)

    Regardless you have to see Winston and MM being fairly close in football potential to let mostly juvenile stuff determine your choice... and I do not see them being that close.

  • Along with Polian and Riddick, Dominick is one of the ones I watch ESPN's NFL Insiders to hear.

    Sounds like once burned, twice shy on Dominick's part except there weren't character questions about Freeman coming out of K-State, were there?

    (Aside: a google search to check popped up a reference to a Mark Sanchez rape investigation at USC.)

    Regardless you have to see Winston and MM being fairly close in football potential to let mostly juvenile stuff determine your choice... and I do not see them being that close.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @tour2ma said:

    Along with Polian and Riddick, Dominick is one of the ones I watch ESPN's NFL Insiders to hear.

    Sounds like once burned, twice shy on Dominick's part except there weren't character questions about Freeman coming out of K-State, were there?

    (Aside: a google search to check popped up a reference to a Mark Sanchez rape investigation at USC.)

    Regardless you have to see Winston and MM being fairly close in football potential to let mostly juvenile stuff determine your choice... and I do not see them being that close.

    I'm in the same boat. As a pure physical prospect and in terms of game readiness, I believe Winston is leaps and bounds ahead of Mariota. Winston possesses the size and build to withstand NFL hits as well as the skillset to shine. I don't place any emphasis in the cafeteria incident nor the crab legs incident. The rape incident, I place a little more emphasis in, but not as much as some. If you actually read the reports (ALL of the available reports), it sounds less like a case of rape and more like a case of two drunk-ass kids having sex and then one of them regretting it.

    Flame away, holier-than-thous.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #9

    i'm not measuring or factoring in winton's off the field stuff when i say i'd rather take mariota over winston (which is kind of ridiculous cuz the browns won't even be in the race).

    i just see a kid who IMO (maybe this is stereotypical but) looks like he'll get signed, get paid and then put his feet up and call it a career.

    and in all fairness i don't know shit about either of them but i'd guess that mariota would spend more time trying to learn the game and putting xtra effort in trying to reach a level he might not yet be on.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Wow, one day after Farmer want's to hear Chip Kelly cry for Marriota, Here come's the #1 TB saying Chip call me. Come on Draft Day, Say it With Me 😁

  • Wow, one day after Farmer want's to hear Chip Kelly cry for Marriota, Here come's the #1 TB saying Chip call me. Come on Draft Day, Say it With Me 😁

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @gumby73 said:

    Wow, one day after Farmer want's to hear Chip Kelly cry for Marriota, Here come's the #1 TB saying Chip call me. Come on Draft Day, Say it With Me 😁

    Except, again, it is TB EX GM....not the current GM.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Along with Polian and Riddick, Dominick is one of the ones I watch ESPN's NFL Insiders to hear.

    Sounds like once burned, twice shy on Dominick's part except there weren't character questions about Freeman coming out of K-State, were there?

    (Aside: a google search to check popped up a reference to a Mark Sanchez rape investigation at USC.)

    Regardless you have to see Winston and MM being fairly close in football potential to let mostly juvenile stuff determine your choice... and I do not see them being that close.

    I'm in the same boat. As a pure physical prospect and in terms of game readiness, I believe Winston is leaps and bounds ahead of Mariota. Winston possesses the size and build to withstand NFL hits as well as the skillset to shine. I don't place any emphasis in the cafeteria incident nor the crab legs incident. The rape incident, I place a little more emphasis in, but not as much as some. If you actually read the reports (ALL of the available reports), it sounds less like a case of rape and more like a case of two drunk-ass kids having sex and then one of them regretting it.

    Flame away, holier-than-thous.

    MasterDogM MasterDog wrote on last edited by MasterDog
    #12

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I'm in the same boat. As a pure physical prospect and in terms of game readiness, I believe Winston is leaps and bounds ahead of Mariota. Winston possesses the size and build to withstand NFL hits as well as the skillset to shine. I don't place any emphasis in the cafeteria incident nor the crab legs incident. The rape incident, I place a little more emphasis in, but not as much as some. If you actually read the reports (ALL of the available reports), it sounds less like a case of rape and more like a case of two drunk-ass kids having sex and then one of them regretting it.

    Flame away, holier-than-thous.

    He stood up in front of the entire student cafeteria and screamed, "Fock her right in the pussy".

    That screams immaturity and the thinking that he is immune to consequences. I've seen how these folks usually end up.

    The stealing of the crab legs...that's just dumb. Surprise he didn't go after KFC next.

    And with the rape case, would it surprise you one bit if he really did do it? This is coming from a person that stood in front of a large audience and screamed...."i fock her right in the pussy." There's something mentally not right with people that do shit like this.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #13

    If your record as a GM is 28-52 over 5 yrs then you need to STFU!

    Dominik is a joke..

  • AxeA Axe

    If your record as a GM is 28-52 over 5 yrs then you need to STFU!

    Dominik is a joke..

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by Tim Couch Pulls Out
    #14

    @axe said:

    If your record as a GM is 28-52 over 5 yrs then you need to STFU!

    Dominik is a joke..

    Oh. GM's coach games?

    I could put together the best team in the world for you. I doubt you'd know how to win with it.

    @masterdog said:

    He stood up in front of the entire student cafeteria and screamed, "Fock her right in the pussy".

    That screams immaturity and the thinking that he is immune to consequences. I've seen how these folks usually end up.

    The stealing of the crab legs...that's just dumb. Surprise he didn't go after KFC next.

    And with the rape case, would it surprise you one bit if he really did do it? This is coming from a person that stood in front of a large audience and screamed...."i fock her right in the pussy." There's something mentally not right with people that do shit like this.

    '

    A college kid screaming something immature to impress his friends? Clearly, he's not NFL material.

    I was actually going to counter this argument with logic, but then I realized you're nothing but a racist piece of shit. You're not worth my time.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #15

    So I'm assuming you are a big Winston guy, Couch?

    WSS

  • So I'm assuming you are a big Winston guy, Couch?

    WSS

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @westside-steve said:

    So I'm assuming you are a big Winston guy, Couch?

    WSS

    Not a big Winston guy, per se. I think he's the best in this draft, but that's not saying much.

    I'm more a fan of his skill set. I'd rather use take Cardale Jones next year, regardless of what happens with either him or us.

  • @westside-steve said:

    So I'm assuming you are a big Winston guy, Couch?

    WSS

    Not a big Winston guy, per se. I think he's the best in this draft, but that's not saying much.

    I'm more a fan of his skill set. I'd rather use take Cardale Jones next year, regardless of what happens with either him or us.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Not a big Winston guy, per se. I think he's the best in this draft, but that's not saying much.

    I'm more a fan of his skill set. I'd rather use take Cardale Jones next year, regardless of what happens with either him or us.

    Well Jones does seem to have all the tools. Hopefully that's not just my homerism blinding me. (If, of course, he winds up on the Browns.)

    😉

    WSS

  • @axe said:

    If your record as a GM is 28-52 over 5 yrs then you need to STFU!

    Dominik is a joke..

    Oh. GM's coach games?

    I could put together the best team in the world for you. I doubt you'd know how to win with it.

    @masterdog said:

    He stood up in front of the entire student cafeteria and screamed, "Fock her right in the pussy".

    That screams immaturity and the thinking that he is immune to consequences. I've seen how these folks usually end up.

    The stealing of the crab legs...that's just dumb. Surprise he didn't go after KFC next.

    And with the rape case, would it surprise you one bit if he really did do it? This is coming from a person that stood in front of a large audience and screamed...."i fock her right in the pussy." There's something mentally not right with people that do shit like this.

    '

    A college kid screaming something immature to impress his friends? Clearly, he's not NFL material.

    I was actually going to counter this argument with logic, but then I realized you're nothing but a racist piece of shit. You're not worth my time.

    AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by Axe
    #18

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Oh. GM's coach games?

    GM's are just as responsible for the success or failure of the teams they assemble as the HC is.. Particularly when they hired the HC..

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Winston has far better character than JM. He only semi-rapes, steals crab legs and yells "Fuck you in the pussy" in school cafeterias, whereas JM takes his buddies out drinking too often. 😛

  • Winston has far better character than JM. He only semi-rapes, steals crab legs and yells "Fuck you in the pussy" in school cafeterias, whereas JM takes his buddies out drinking too often. 😛

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @texasag1969 said:

    Winston has far better character than JM. He only semi-rapes, steals crab legs and yells "Fuck you in the pussy" in school cafeterias, whereas JM takes his buddies out drinking too often. 😛

    And sucks at football.