Pull the trigger on Kevin White!
-
The condition of this team won't be 'fixed' in one offseason. It's going to take 2 offseason cycles to get the Browns into perennial playoff contenders like the top 6-8 franchises in football.
Detailed is my plan to facilitate that reality:
Glaring holes at QB and WR1 is all the rage among fans to get answered this offseason. But solid O-line play is of paramount importance to evaluate a QB... so sieves at RG & RT won't do in 2015... they are MUST upgrades THIS offseason. And, truly, the only way to perennial playoffs is to build a stout & intelligently aggressive defense... and the quickest way there starts at the point of attack. Mission: be on the lookout for the coming generation of a Wilfork or Ngata. Next needed: a ROLB that gets on the QB in a hurry. There's a lot of these types to crap-shoot on, but we must be wiser than to believe we're crap-shooting. That's not the name of our game. Coaching, patience, and simplification in rookie season goes a long way for a prospect. Gaining confidence is important indicator #1 in our system.
Our answer at QB is not out there to be had in 2015. Unknown qualities exist in Manziel and Connor Shaw, and we're going to find out in 2015 if they can be of service to our long-term mission. I like the chance that one surprises us just a bit in Flip's offense... perhaps enough to merit a roster spot in 2016, at least. Our plan is to draft the long-term answer at QB in 2016 when just from our corner of the country MSU's Connor Cook, PSU's Christian Hackenberg, and Ohio State's Cardale Jones should be top picks. I like Hackenberg most at this point, but Cardale is intriguing, to be sure.
Truth is, to judge an NFL QB, short and intermediate routes (their bread 'n' butter) are what is necessary to fairly assess. Our undersized WR with sticky hands are actually quite effective running those routes. We can trust what we see from the QB position based on our current WRs, provided we upgrade the right side of the O-line. I'm determined we are not going to reach in our pertinent picks (to find starters; the first 3) for a WR in this draft. If White or Cooper are there at #12, they'll have our full consideration; I'm not so high on Parker. Jaelin Strong or Devin Smith would have our consideration at #43, but I feel the real smart value there is filling RG with Ereck Flowers, Cam Erving, or Tre Jackson. QB wouldn't even begin to come into consideration until Round 3, if Hundley makes it there. Again, I'm not too high on our options there; if Jim Mora Jr didn't get Hundley to raise his game in college, far be it from us to believe it will 'click' for him in the monster that is the N.F.L. This isn't "throw a lot of picks at a problem".... it's an intelligent process we take from a blueprint of success from past-decade achiever franchises. Our QB Answer is entering the 2016 Draft; we must face it.
What we need this offseason: NT, RT, RG, DE, WR
What we need in 2016: QB, OLB, WR, DE
Address 2-3 in 2015 FA: NT, RG, DE, WR, TE
My board for #12: Shelton/NT, White/WR, Beasley/OLB, Cooper/WR, Trade Down, Parker/WR, Goldman/DL
My board for #19: Brown/NT, Thompson/OLB, Clemmings/RT, Williams/TE, Flowers/RT
My board for #43: Erving/RG, Strong/WR, Devin Smith/WR, Jackson/RG, Odighizuwa/DE, Kendricks/LB
Vic Beasley has the quality make-up of a future leader on D... think Von Miller-esque...
and Shaq Thompson is a star you find a spot for. He just makes plays... gets to the QB & ball carrier and is world-class at stripping the ball. Turnover machine. Oh, and put him in the backfield in the red zone to finish any job. He is HoneyBadger 5.0 ... I'll take him at 19 for sure.
Devin Smith is an ode to 2016 and the big arm QB we'll draft to consistently find him deep behind the safety, turned backward to face the QB like he does. Maybe Cardale, maybe PSU's Christian Hackenberg... we can dream right now!
The condition of this team won't be 'fixed' in one offseason. It's going to take 2 offseason cycles to get the Browns into perennial playoff contenders like the top 6-8 franchises in football.
Detailed is my plan to facilitate that reality:
Glaring holes at QB and WR1 is all the rage among fans to get answered this offseason. But solid O-line play is of paramount importance to evaluate a QB... so sieves at RG & RT won't do in 2015... they are MUST upgrades THIS offseason. And, truly, the only way to perennial playoffs is to build a stout & intelligently aggressive defense... and the quickest way there starts at the point of attack. Mission: be on the lookout for the coming generation of a Wilfork or Ngata. Next needed: a ROLB that gets on the QB in a hurry. There's a lot of these types to crap-shoot on, but we must be wiser than to believe we're crap-shooting. That's not the name of our game. Coaching, patience, and simplification in rookie season goes a long way for a prospect. Gaining confidence is important indicator #1 in our system.
Our answer at QB is not out there to be had in 2015. Unknown qualities exist in Manziel and Connor Shaw, and we're going to find out in 2015 if they can be of service to our long-term mission. I like the chance that one surprises us just a bit in Flip's offense... perhaps enough to merit a roster spot in 2016, at least. Our plan is to draft the long-term answer at QB in 2016 when just from our corner of the country MSU's Connor Cook, PSU's Christian Hackenberg, and Ohio State's Cardale Jones should be top picks. I like Hackenberg most at this point, but Cardale is intriguing, to be sure.
Truth is, to judge an NFL QB, short and intermediate routes (their bread 'n' butter) are what is necessary to fairly assess. Our undersized WR with sticky hands are actually quite effective running those routes. We can trust what we see from the QB position based on our current WRs, provided we upgrade the right side of the O-line. I'm determined we are not going to reach in our pertinent picks (to find starters; the first 3) for a WR in this draft. If White or Cooper are there at #12, they'll have our full consideration; I'm not so high on Parker. Jaelin Strong or Devin Smith would have our consideration at #43, but I feel the real smart value there is filling RG with Ereck Flowers, Cam Erving, or Tre Jackson. QB wouldn't even begin to come into consideration until Round 3, if Hundley makes it there. Again, I'm not too high on our options there; if Jim Mora Jr didn't get Hundley to raise his game in college, far be it from us to believe it will 'click' for him in the monster that is the N.F.L. This isn't "throw a lot of picks at a problem".... it's an intelligent process we take from a blueprint of success from past-decade achiever franchises. Our QB Answer is entering the 2016 Draft; we must face it.
What we need this offseason: NT, RT, RG, DE, WR
What we need in 2016: QB, OLB, WR, DE
Address 2-3 in 2015 FA: NT, RG, DE, WR, TE
My board for #12: Shelton/NT, White/WR, Beasley/OLB, Cooper/WR, Trade Down, Parker/WR, Goldman/DL
My board for #19: Brown/NT, Thompson/OLB, Clemmings/RT, Williams/TE, Flowers/RT
My board for #43: Erving/RG, Strong/WR, Devin Smith/WR, Jackson/RG, Odighizuwa/DE, Kendricks/LB
Vic Beasley has the quality make-up of a future leader on D... think Von Miller-esque...
and Shaq Thompson is a star you find a spot for. He just makes plays... gets to the QB & ball carrier and is world-class at stripping the ball. Turnover machine. Oh, and put him in the backfield in the red zone to finish any job. He is HoneyBadger 5.0 ... I'll take him at 19 for sure.
Devin Smith is an ode to 2016 and the big arm QB we'll draft to consistently find him deep behind the safety, turned backward to face the QB like he does. Maybe Cardale, maybe PSU's Christian Hackenberg... we can dream right now!
Very insightful and nice job overall! You put a lot of guys I'd be happy with in there. Thanks man!
-
The condition of this team won't be 'fixed' in one offseason. It's going to take 2 offseason cycles to get the Browns into perennial playoff contenders like the top 6-8 franchises in football.
Detailed is my plan to facilitate that reality:
Glaring holes at QB and WR1 is all the rage among fans to get answered this offseason. But solid O-line play is of paramount importance to evaluate a QB... so sieves at RG & RT won't do in 2015... they are MUST upgrades THIS offseason. And, truly, the only way to perennial playoffs is to build a stout & intelligently aggressive defense... and the quickest way there starts at the point of attack. Mission: be on the lookout for the coming generation of a Wilfork or Ngata. Next needed: a ROLB that gets on the QB in a hurry. There's a lot of these types to crap-shoot on, but we must be wiser than to believe we're crap-shooting. That's not the name of our game. Coaching, patience, and simplification in rookie season goes a long way for a prospect. Gaining confidence is important indicator #1 in our system.
Our answer at QB is not out there to be had in 2015. Unknown qualities exist in Manziel and Connor Shaw, and we're going to find out in 2015 if they can be of service to our long-term mission. I like the chance that one surprises us just a bit in Flip's offense... perhaps enough to merit a roster spot in 2016, at least. Our plan is to draft the long-term answer at QB in 2016 when just from our corner of the country MSU's Connor Cook, PSU's Christian Hackenberg, and Ohio State's Cardale Jones should be top picks. I like Hackenberg most at this point, but Cardale is intriguing, to be sure.
Truth is, to judge an NFL QB, short and intermediate routes (their bread 'n' butter) are what is necessary to fairly assess. Our undersized WR with sticky hands are actually quite effective running those routes. We can trust what we see from the QB position based on our current WRs, provided we upgrade the right side of the O-line. I'm determined we are not going to reach in our pertinent picks (to find starters; the first 3) for a WR in this draft. If White or Cooper are there at #12, they'll have our full consideration; I'm not so high on Parker. Jaelin Strong or Devin Smith would have our consideration at #43, but I feel the real smart value there is filling RG with Ereck Flowers, Cam Erving, or Tre Jackson. QB wouldn't even begin to come into consideration until Round 3, if Hundley makes it there. Again, I'm not too high on our options there; if Jim Mora Jr didn't get Hundley to raise his game in college, far be it from us to believe it will 'click' for him in the monster that is the N.F.L. This isn't "throw a lot of picks at a problem".... it's an intelligent process we take from a blueprint of success from past-decade achiever franchises. Our QB Answer is entering the 2016 Draft; we must face it.
What we need this offseason: NT, RT, RG, DE, WR
What we need in 2016: QB, OLB, WR, DE
Address 2-3 in 2015 FA: NT, RG, DE, WR, TE
My board for #12: Shelton/NT, White/WR, Beasley/OLB, Cooper/WR, Trade Down, Parker/WR, Goldman/DL
My board for #19: Brown/NT, Thompson/OLB, Clemmings/RT, Williams/TE, Flowers/RT
My board for #43: Erving/RG, Strong/WR, Devin Smith/WR, Jackson/RG, Odighizuwa/DE, Kendricks/LB
Vic Beasley has the quality make-up of a future leader on D... think Von Miller-esque...
and Shaq Thompson is a star you find a spot for. He just makes plays... gets to the QB & ball carrier and is world-class at stripping the ball. Turnover machine. Oh, and put him in the backfield in the red zone to finish any job. He is HoneyBadger 5.0 ... I'll take him at 19 for sure.
Devin Smith is an ode to 2016 and the big arm QB we'll draft to consistently find him deep behind the safety, turned backward to face the QB like he does. Maybe Cardale, maybe PSU's Christian Hackenberg... we can dream right now!
The condition of this team won't be 'fixed' in one offseason. It's going to take 2 offseason cycles to get the Browns into perennial playoff contenders like the top 6-8 franchises in football.
Detailed is my plan to facilitate that reality:
Glaring holes at QB and WR1 is all the rage among fans to get answered this offseason. But solid O-line play is of paramount importance to evaluate a QB... so sieves at RG & RT won't do in 2015... they are MUST upgrades THIS offseason.
Stopped reading right here...
-
We do need help on the perimeter, you're right. I would like 2 receivers in this draft, personally. However not at the expense of selecting positions that are of greater need and not dependent on QB play. I would love to see Devin, Coates, Perrimen & Locket in the 2nd to mid rounds. I think they all of them will be solid contributors in time to their respective teams.
Tia, not for nothing but go back to the page I entered this thread. My first post was saying I think we can get Perriman in round 2. Guess who my biggest critic was? You, saying round 2 was a huge reach for the guy you deemed slated for round 4. Therefore, I gave you 2 cut and pastes of 2 different draft experts saying his stock could be up as high as round 1. That could have been a nice place to tell me you agreed with my intrigue for Perriman in round 2 rather than taking us on the huge detour.
And now you're telling me Perriman is one of the 2 WRs you really wanted? Think of how much time we could have saved with a little "Good point Flugel - I really like that kid right after round 1 too!"
As for your criticism of DE Arik Armstead, his reviews are mixed. Some people really like him - others feel like you do. He appears in the first round of some mock drafts and in upper mid rounds of others. I'm open to other dlineman. Shelton is growing on me while I read Phillips takes plays off and had back surgery in 2013. Your guy Coates has mixed reviews too. I'd start to be open to him in round 3 or 4 if we haven't drafted any WRs yet.
I will apologize for the confusion. I post quite a bit while at work, some things make sense in my mind... they don't necessary translate the way I wish on the forum.
Re: The receivers I listed. I put them in order I'd like started from the 2nd and moving into the mid rounds. I'd take Devin and probably Coates 2nd round. Perriman 3rd and Lockett 4th.
As it stands, Perriman is a reach being rated as a 4th round fringe 3rd receiver. Having two 'experts' (for the life of me I can't seem to find your post and whom they were) isn't really a groundswell of support for changing his standing. Although, ultimately its up to NFL front offices that will determine is draft value. I would like Perrimen, but not before the 3rd.
... and as for Armstead. I watched his tape against Texas last year and liked some of the things I saw. Then I watched progressively more and more from that point forward as I'm sure most scouts have. I believe most of them got hung up against Texas because his body of work afterwards up until a few shining moments in the Rose Bowl was less than impressive. Much like Perriman, it was be determined by whom takes him where. I Just hope and pray it isn't the Brownies in the 1st.
I will apologize for the confusion. I post quite a bit while at work, some things make sense in my mind... they don't necessary translate the way I wish on the forum.
Re: The receivers I listed. I put them in order I'd like started from the 2nd and moving into the mid rounds. I'd take Devin and probably Coates 2nd round. Perriman 3rd and Lockett 4th.
As it stands, Perriman is a reach being rated as a 4th round fringe 3rd receiver. Having two 'experts' (for the life of me I can't seem to find your post and whom they were) isn't really a groundswell of support for changing his standing. Although, ultimately its up to NFL front offices that will determine is draft value. I would like Perrimen, but not before the 3rd.
... and as for Armstead. I watched his tape against Texas last year and liked some of the things I saw. Then I watched progressively more and more from that point forward as I'm sure most scouts have. I believe most of them got hung up against Texas because his body of work afterwards up until a few shining moments in the Rose Bowl was less than impressive. Much like Perriman, it was be determined by whom takes him where. I Just hope and pray it isn't the Brownies in the 1st.
I appreciate the clarification Tia.
It looks like we both want to draft a WR after round 1. To be honest, I think there's going to be some runs on defensive players that will make Perriman available AFTER round 1 despite what Mayock and Kiper have said about the potential to go up into round 1.
-
First, SS's are often responsible for TEs...
In traditional defenses - yes; zone blitz defenses - not so much. There's also offensive strategies/adjustments like Sean Sean Payton and his OC made that isolated TE Jimmy Graham on corners to exploit the size advantage by moving him out wider. Sometimes that means 2 TEs are on the field - sometimes it just means they only lined their TE out wider. Joe Haden is as good as it gets at corner - just ask AJ Green. In fact, his success against a guy that size made our staff confident we Joe was up to the same challenge with Graham. However, he learned it's much easier to press a WR build than a TE physique and we struggled with that adjustment New Orleans.
Zone blitz defenses roll coverages especially when they go man-down at the back end. And if you catch them on the side opposite of where they're rolling to like Shanny did - Cameron had a 42 yard reception that didn't go for a TD when had 3 TEs on the field. However, the replay showed DE #99 Brett Kiesel knocked him out of bounds inside their 10 yard line as the only guy with any shot at doing so. LeBeau not only disguises his blitzes - he also disguises which way he's going to roll his coverages when he's blitzing. Sometimes it's toward strength - sometimes it's toward wide side of the field. On this particular play, Shanny backdoored it masterfully.
Here's a replay of the TD I spoke of that earlier in the thread (that you are responding to above). Anyway, notice we're attacking the zone being manned by cornerback Cortez Allen #28 while Polly was camping out underneath hoping to clobber one of our little guys over the middle. The beauty of that meant there was no such thing as Safety help on this play and we punctuated it with end zone. This one hookup over the top, sure helped our running game face lesser numbers in the box later. If memory serves me right, we had negative yardage rushing after the first quarter ended in a game we would end up scoring 31 points.
In traditional defenses - yes; zone blitz defenses...
Here's a replay of the TD I spoke of that earlier in the thread...
Awesome anecdotal reply... Trumps the shit out of my accumulated game data.
How often are zone blitzes run in a given game?
-
The condition of this team won't be 'fixed' in one offseason. It's going to take 2 offseason cycles to get the Browns into perennial playoff contenders like the top 6-8 franchises in football.
Detailed is my plan to facilitate that reality:
Glaring holes at QB and WR1 is all the rage among fans to get answered this offseason. But solid O-line play is of paramount importance to evaluate a QB... so sieves at RG & RT won't do in 2015... they are MUST upgrades THIS offseason.
Stopped reading right here...
Stopped reading right here...
Yeah, I don't understand that theme with some. Greco traded out as a top 15 RG and Mitch was a top 10 RT in PBE. They need no replacement.
This oline only needs quality stand ins should (again, god forbid) an injury occur.
Awesome anecdotal reply... Trumps the shit out of my accumulated game data.
How often are zone blitzes run in a given game?
That would depend on the team.
Also, the SS's primary responsibility really depends on what the defense is asking of him. Its a rather sweeping generalization to say the SS has man up. Obviously strong has gap responsibilities against the run, but when you think TE now a days, you think passing game. With a vertical threat tight end you'll see bracket coverage in most any defense.
With a cover 6 team like Pittsburgh that likes the zone blitz, generally you'll see the linebacker squeeze the TE to the interior if he's inline and turn him over to the safety whom will carry him down the seam. If the TE is offset or in the slot, the effort is usually still the same. Obviously that's negated by something the Saints like to do with splitting Graham out wide, then its him on a DB, which... I really don't care if you're Deion, its a mismatch everytime.
-
The condition of this team won't be 'fixed' in one offseason. It's going to take 2 offseason cycles to get the Browns into perennial playoff contenders like the top 6-8 franchises in football.
Detailed is my plan to facilitate that reality:
Glaring holes at QB and WR1 is all the rage among fans to get answered this offseason. But solid O-line play is of paramount importance to evaluate a QB... so sieves at RG & RT won't do in 2015... they are MUST upgrades THIS offseason.
Stopped reading right here...
-
In traditional defenses - yes; zone blitz defenses...
Here's a replay of the TD I spoke of that earlier in the thread...
Awesome anecdotal reply... Trumps the shit out of my accumulated game data.
How often are zone blitzes run in a given game?
Awesome anecdotal reply... Trumps the shit out of my accumulated game data.
How often are zone blitzes run in a given game?
People that grew up sweating in jock straps tend to prefer looking at film, formations on film and tendencies so they can play and/or coach better at the school district/college they're getting paid to do that for. People that grew up sniffing jock straps prefer to spend all their time making all their conclusions from statistics. Why do I get the feeling you were once a huge Jay Cutler fan? "Yeah, did you see that monstrous 4th quarter Cutler had when Denver was down 30 points so they only lost by 13? That kid's a keeper." Meanwhile film is showing why all that was possible like prevent defenses, backups and a willingness to give up underneath in exchange for clock.
Am I supposed to be impressed you can look at stats all day and make a conclusion like Hoyer was projecting way more than 8 TD passes to the WR Corps in 2014 if Mack didn't get hurt. Yeah, the problem with that light bulb moment from you is 3 TD passes came at the expense of the 2-14 Titans that were only on our schedule once. YOUR conclusion-based stats see that as projecting 45 TD passes over 16 games with Travis Benjamin projecting 32 TD receptions IF Alex Mack doesn't get hurt. Hoyer still had opportunities to make doable throws that he couldn't make. And get this - film actually showed us some flawed/lost mechanics from Hoyer that were correctable even without Alex Mack.
I figured when I saw you visited my profile, you had already completed a panic attack or 2. My dumb jock vibe must have triggered some unpleasant memories of you getting fanny snapped by wet towels from the football, basketball or baseball team. So apparently when you thought you were seeing newbies in this thread like me and Naberius - you thought it was the perfect time for you to unleash your revenge of the towel boy. That's a real trophy case moment any parent would be proud of.
If you're gonna get full of yourself and condascend to people you have ZERO clue about their football backgrounds with - you're gonna have to give me something better than 8 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2014 is better than 20 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2007. You might even want to follow the flow of discussion rather than jumping into the 3rd or 4th page so you get where somebody is coming from. Then again, you didn't care. Not your purpose...
I showed you film because it doesn't lie; and your reaction to it told me all it needed to. Most people that HAVE a life don't give a crap about how many times a zone blitz team blitzes. They care more about when our favorite team made them pay for doing so. You're the stat guy - do you remember what our rushing numbers reflected at the end of the first quarter looked like in that 2nd Pittsburgh Game? I only remember the replays slam dunking we gotta do something to stop them from outnumbering or 5-6 blockers. Having the ability to beat them over the top more than once with Cameron that day - MADE them adjust their crowd vrs our point of attack for better rushing results the final 3 quarters with and without Mack.
I don't give a crap that you didn't want to give me a chance; BUT you could have shown a lot more class to a fairly new guy like Naberius that only wants to talk football. He seems a lot more about sharing a common bond with Browns' fans than you. All I've seen outta you is a bunch of nervous Shakespeare with an emphasis on the Shakes. You know why a jittery Barney Fife type likes to flash his badge in front of witnesses? Because when/if all Hell breaks loose - the only person he's capable of shooting with his gun is himself. The sad thing is the person he's flashing this badge at already knows this. Put the gun down kid...
-
Tour, tia, Mudfly....
To answer you, Flugel, some guys think they got the patent on intellectual enlightenment...
others just don't like to read very much... especially if it's intelligent matter/content (mudfly)
-
Awesome anecdotal reply... Trumps the shit out of my accumulated game data.
How often are zone blitzes run in a given game?
People that grew up sweating in jock straps tend to prefer looking at film, formations on film and tendencies so they can play and/or coach better at the school district/college they're getting paid to do that for. People that grew up sniffing jock straps prefer to spend all their time making all their conclusions from statistics. Why do I get the feeling you were once a huge Jay Cutler fan? "Yeah, did you see that monstrous 4th quarter Cutler had when Denver was down 30 points so they only lost by 13? That kid's a keeper." Meanwhile film is showing why all that was possible like prevent defenses, backups and a willingness to give up underneath in exchange for clock.
Am I supposed to be impressed you can look at stats all day and make a conclusion like Hoyer was projecting way more than 8 TD passes to the WR Corps in 2014 if Mack didn't get hurt. Yeah, the problem with that light bulb moment from you is 3 TD passes came at the expense of the 2-14 Titans that were only on our schedule once. YOUR conclusion-based stats see that as projecting 45 TD passes over 16 games with Travis Benjamin projecting 32 TD receptions IF Alex Mack doesn't get hurt. Hoyer still had opportunities to make doable throws that he couldn't make. And get this - film actually showed us some flawed/lost mechanics from Hoyer that were correctable even without Alex Mack.
I figured when I saw you visited my profile, you had already completed a panic attack or 2. My dumb jock vibe must have triggered some unpleasant memories of you getting fanny snapped by wet towels from the football, basketball or baseball team. So apparently when you thought you were seeing newbies in this thread like me and Naberius - you thought it was the perfect time for you to unleash your revenge of the towel boy. That's a real trophy case moment any parent would be proud of.
If you're gonna get full of yourself and condascend to people you have ZERO clue about their football backgrounds with - you're gonna have to give me something better than 8 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2014 is better than 20 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2007. You might even want to follow the flow of discussion rather than jumping into the 3rd or 4th page so you get where somebody is coming from. Then again, you didn't care. Not your purpose...
I showed you film because it doesn't lie; and your reaction to it told me all it needed to. Most people that HAVE a life don't give a crap about how many times a zone blitz team blitzes. They care more about when our favorite team made them pay for doing so. You're the stat guy - do you remember what our rushing numbers reflected at the end of the first quarter looked like in that 2nd Pittsburgh Game? I only remember the replays slam dunking we gotta do something to stop them from outnumbering or 5-6 blockers. Having the ability to beat them over the top more than once with Cameron that day - MADE them adjust their crowd vrs our point of attack for better rushing results the final 3 quarters with and without Mack.
I don't give a crap that you didn't want to give me a chance; BUT you could have shown a lot more class to a fairly new guy like Naberius that only wants to talk football. He seems a lot more about sharing a common bond with Browns' fans than you. All I've seen outta you is a bunch of nervous Shakespeare with an emphasis on the Shakes. You know why a jittery Barney Fife type likes to flash his badge in front of witnesses? Because when/if all Hell breaks loose - the only person he's capable of shooting with his gun is himself. The sad thing is the person he's flashing this badge at already knows this. Put the gun down kid...
People that grew up sweating in jock straps tend to prefer looking at film, formations on film and tendencies so they can play and/or coach better at the school district/college they're getting paid to do that for. People that grew up sniffing jock straps prefer to spend all their time making all their conclusions from statistics. Why do I get the feeling you were once a huge Jay Cutler fan? "Yeah, did you see that monstrous 4th quarter Cutler had when Denver was down 30 points so they only lost by 13? That kid's a keeper." Meanwhile film is showing why all that was possible like prevent defenses, backups and a willingness to give up underneath in exchange for clock.
Am I supposed to be impressed you can look at stats all day and make a conclusion like Hoyer was projecting way more than 8 TD passes to the WR Corps in 2014 if Mack didn't get hurt. Yeah, the problem with that light bulb moment from you is 3 TD passes came at the expense of the 2-14 Titans that were only on our schedule once. YOUR conclusion-based stats see that as projecting 45 TD passes over 16 games with Travis Benjamin projecting 32 TD receptions IF Alex Mack doesn't get hurt. Hoyer still had opportunities to make doable throws that he couldn't make. And get this - film actually showed us some flawed/lost mechanics from Hoyer that were correctable even without Alex Mack.
I figured when I saw you visited my profile, you had already completed a panic attack or 2. My dumb jock vibe must have triggered some unpleasant memories of you getting fanny snapped by wet towels from the football, basketball or baseball team. So apparently when you thought you were seeing newbies in this thread like me and Naberius - you thought it was the perfect time for you to unleash your revenge of the towel boy. That's a real trophy case moment any parent would be proud of.
If you're gonna get full of yourself and condascend to people you have ZERO clue about their football backgrounds with - you're gonna have to give me something better than 8 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2014 is better than 20 TD receptions from our WR Corps in 2007. You might even want to follow the flow of discussion rather than jumping into the 3rd or 4th page so you get where somebody is coming from. Then again, you didn't care. Not your purpose...
I showed you film because it doesn't lie; and your reaction to it told me all it needed to. Most people that HAVE a life don't give a crap about how many times a zone blitz team blitzes. They care more about when our favorite team made them pay for doing so. You're the stat guy - do you remember what our rushing numbers reflected at the end of the first quarter looked like in that 2nd Pittsburgh Game? I only remember the replays slam dunking we gotta do something to stop them from outnumbering or 5-6 blockers. Having the ability to beat them over the top more than once with Cameron that day - MADE them adjust their crowd vrs our point of attack for better rushing results the final 3 quarters with and without Mack.
I don't give a crap that you didn't want to give me a chance; BUT you could have shown a lot more class to a fairly new guy like Naberius that only wants to talk football. He seems a lot more about sharing a common bond with Browns' fans than you. All I've seen outta you is a bunch of nervous Shakespeare with an emphasis on the Shakes. You know why a jittery Barney Fife type likes to flash his badge in front of witnesses? Because when/if all Hell breaks loose - the only person he's capable of shooting with his gun is himself. The sad thing is the person he's flashing this badge at already knows this. Put the gun down kid...
i'll be your huckleberry.
i can shoot just fine.
-
"Sieves"....
I thought that was a harsh word to use, but used it anyway because upgrading RG is necessary for perennial playoff contention.
I can agree with tiamat63 that quality stand-in talent is needed....in addition to RG. Cameron Erving would be an ideal pick.
Vic Beasley and Shaq Thompson are rising on my board.... I'd really like one of them, especially if we can sign a good FA DT. The Defense would start poppin' like a contender!
-
Flugel, have you competed in Rome's 'Smack Off'? You got some skill. That script was nice.
I was at that point of annoyance with tiamat63 the other week, when I first joined... had me contemplating leaving. But I felt the guy wasn't nearly that bad, and I really valued his game.... his scouting service! Ideally, tia would integrate just a thread more of congruency and some affirmation to his posts. I prayed about it (not really, but perhaps my Heart did)... and earlier this week his tone changed a bit. He expressed humility, even some semblance of affirmation to another responder. My Heart grew & I knew I loved the man; strange but true.
We're alright. We're all alright...
We more than Good...
We're The Browns Family.
And that makes us tighter than blood any day.
-
If Greco rated as a 'Top 15' OG.... to the GM of a perennial playoff team, that spells W-E-A-K-N-E-S-S.
a middling grade is only permissible during rookie season, a developmental or transitional 2nd season, or a season battling injury.
Greco's grade has me targeting replacement... especially the chaos that ensued on his watch when Mack went down. We can keep Greco, but we want him in the 2 deep part of our roster, ideally. We should let him know of this notion & see if there's another level to his game in 2015 he hasn't shown us.
It's only Human... most guys need pushed to excel. The ones that don't - don't play like they're Human.
-
We're more than Good...
We're The Browns Family.
And that makes us tighter than blood, any day.
(We sure act/talk like we're blood on this board.)
-
i think everyone will agree that the browns will look to draft OL. whether it be to ultimately replace someone is debatable. but after the mack injury, to say we don't need depth there means you gotta be blind or just don't give a crap.
-
If Greco rated as a 'Top 15' OG.... to the GM of a perennial playoff team, that spells W-E-A-K-N-E-S-S.
a middling grade is only permissible during rookie season, a developmental or transitional 2nd season, or a season battling injury.
Greco's grade has me targeting replacement... especially the chaos that ensued on his watch when Mack went down. We can keep Greco, but we want him in the 2 deep part of our roster, ideally. We should let him know of this notion & see if there's another level to his game in 2015 he hasn't shown us.
It's only Human... most guys need pushed to excel. The ones that don't - don't play like they're Human.
Unfortunately, I'm not the only one that disagrees with you.If Greco rated as a 'Top 15' OG.... to the GM of a perennial playoff team, that spells W-E-A-K-N-E-S-S.
a middling grade is only permissible during rookie season, a developmental or transitional 2nd season, or a season battling injury.
Greco's grade has me targeting replacement... especially the chaos that ensued on his watch when Mack went down. We can keep Greco, but we want him in the 2 deep part of our roster, ideally. We should let him know of this notion & see if there's another level to his game in 2015 he hasn't shown us.
It's only Human... most guys need pushed to excel. The ones that don't - don't play like they're Human.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/4/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/20/secret-superstar-john-greco/
Edit. There is zero reason to invest a high grade pick into replacing Greco.
Double edit: figuring 2 guards for 32 teams - a top 15 prospect is the upper 1/3 of the NFL. To me, that isn't weakness, that's consistency along the Oline.
-
Unfortunately, I'm not the only one that disagrees with you.If Greco rated as a 'Top 15' OG.... to the GM of a perennial playoff team, that spells W-E-A-K-N-E-S-S.
a middling grade is only permissible during rookie season, a developmental or transitional 2nd season, or a season battling injury.
Greco's grade has me targeting replacement... especially the chaos that ensued on his watch when Mack went down. We can keep Greco, but we want him in the 2 deep part of our roster, ideally. We should let him know of this notion & see if there's another level to his game in 2015 he hasn't shown us.
It's only Human... most guys need pushed to excel. The ones that don't - don't play like they're Human.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/4/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/20/secret-superstar-john-greco/
Edit. There is zero reason to invest a high grade pick into replacing Greco.
Double edit: figuring 2 guards for 32 teams - a top 15 prospect is the upper 1/3 of the NFL. To me, that isn't weakness, that's consistency along the Oline.
Unfortunately, I'm not the only one that disagrees with you.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/4/
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/20/secret-superstar-john-greco/
Edit. There is zero reason to invest a high grade pick into replacing Greco.
Beat me to it Tiamat63...
Greco isnt just top 15....he's #6 at +15.6....with room to spare.....one of the very best in the league and nowhere near a "middling grade"
Schwartz, on the other hand, has that middling grade at +6.5 and is rated as the #9 RT (terrible, I know).......he is very strong as a pass blocker, but non existent as a run blocker.....
So, add our #2 Center Mack, #3 Guard Bitonio and #3 LT Thomas and the line is not a top priority...unless we can add starter quality at RT and some interior depth to back up either C/OG.....
-
Flugel, have you competed in Rome's 'Smack Off'? You got some skill. That script was nice.
I was at that point of annoyance with tiamat63 the other week, when I first joined... had me contemplating leaving. But I felt the guy wasn't nearly that bad, and I really valued his game.... his scouting service! Ideally, tia would integrate just a thread more of congruency and some affirmation to his posts. I prayed about it (not really, but perhaps my Heart did)... and earlier this week his tone changed a bit. He expressed humility, even some semblance of affirmation to another responder. My Heart grew & I knew I loved the man; strange but true.
We're alright. We're all alright...
We more than Good...
We're The Browns Family.
And that makes us tighter than blood any day.
Flugel, have you competed in Rome's 'Smack Off'? You got some skill. That script was nice.
I was at that point of annoyance with tiamat63 the other week, when I first joined... had me contemplating leaving. But I felt the guy wasn't nearly that bad, and I really valued his game.... his scouting service! Ideally, tia would integrate just a thread more of congruency and some affirmation to his posts. I prayed about it (not really, but perhaps my Heart did)... and earlier this week his tone changed a bit. He expressed humility, even some semblance of affirmation to another responder. My Heart grew & I knew I loved the man; strange but true.
We're alright. We're all alright...
We more than Good...
We're The Browns Family.
And that makes us tighter than blood any day.
*will ferrell voice*
" did we just become best friends!!?????!!!!"
-
Tour, tia, Mudfly....
To answer you, Flugel, some guys think they got the patent on intellectual enlightenment...
others just don't like to read very much... especially if it's intelligent matter/content (mudfly)
To answer you, Flugel, some guys think they got the patent on intellectual enlightenment...
and they write novels to prove it.....
and no need to be so sensitive if someone disagrees with(or doesn't want to read) your(very very long) opinion....happens like every 30 seconds here(which is about my attention span too)....so thicken that skin up and get used to it.....
-
You guys are all buttholes, shut up. We need to draft a kicker.
-
I get it. I'm Not trying to say that a fan doesn't have the right to speak out, but when that said fan does it repeatedly and that's all they have to offer.....that is lame.
Believe me, most of us golden oldies on here have seen the hits and misses from past and present regimes longer than you've been taking breath so show some respect. Sure we missed out on this guy or that guy and instead drafted bums at times, but to just non-stop whine and complain (not saying you) is non-productive and at some point quite boring.
I get it. I'm Not trying to say that a fan doesn't have the right to speak out, but when that said fan does it repeatedly and that's all they have to offer.....that is lame.
Believe me, most of us golden oldies on here have seen the hits and misses from past and present regimes longer than you've been taking breath so show some respect. Sure we missed out on this guy or that guy and instead drafted bums at times, but to just non-stop whine and complain (not saying you) is non-productive and at some point quite boring.
My apologies for assuming you would be a dick, was nice to actually talk football with you. And I get what your saying, really was just curious of what you thought. Wasn't trying to start anything.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login