Skip to content

Grade the following WR scenario

The Browns Board
40 17 1.3k
  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #5

    C+

    No one on that list is getting significant time on any playoff team.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I don't know squat compared to many here & especially the experts, but I DO hope we bring some height in to WR.

    I will say that I want NOTHING to do with Green-Beckham.

    Mike

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    4 free agents and a 1st round pick...? Highly doubtful.

    I'd take Shorts, Austin or Hartline, and a pick. That would be plenty

  • C+

    No one on that list is getting significant time on any playoff team.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @baconhound said:

    No one on that list is getting significant time on any playoff team.

    Did you see the WRs on Sea and NE? Not exactly all-pro material...

  • 4 free agents and a 1st round pick...? Highly doubtful.

    I'd take Shorts, Austin or Hartline, and a pick. That would be plenty

    F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @thenew23 said:

    4 free agents and a 1st round pick...? Highly doubtful.

    I'd take Shorts, Austin or Hartline, and a pick. That would be plenty

    But Ginn can be our return guy!!

  • @frenchie said:

    Heading into pre-season, what grade would you give the following (realistic) scenario for the Brown WR group (no order in the list provided):

    Benjamin

    Gabriel

    Hawkins

    Miles Austin

    Cecil Shorts

    Ted Gin Jr.

    Brian Hartline

    Devonte Parker ( or your realistic draft choice of preference)

    I think it's doable, affordable, serviceable and while not intimidating, it's a quality group of players.

    Not a bad looking group.....tho not sure well actually carry 8 wr's......personally, Id pass on the "new guys", except maybe tap Shorts to replace Benji.....then Id wish for something more like a starter FA and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick like smith/Dorestt/Perriman/Hardy/etc...

    F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @mudfly said:

    Not a bad looking group.....tho not sure well actually carry 8 wr's......personally, Id pass on the "new guys", except maybe tap Shorts to replace Benji.....then Id wish for something more like a starter FA and a 3rd or 4th round draft pick like smith/Dorestt/Perriman/Hardy/etc...

    That's why I said "heading into pre-season"

  • T Tiott wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Hawkins-gabriel-austin-benjamin-shorts-Agholor

    Sure handed dudes with home run hitters and 1 potentiel star

  • I don't know squat compared to many here & especially the experts, but I DO hope we bring some height in to WR.

    I will say that I want NOTHING to do with Green-Beckham.

    Mike

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @canton-mike said:

    I don't know squat compared to many here & especially the experts, but I DO hope we bring some height in to WR.

    I will say that I want NOTHING to do with Green-Beckham.

    Mike

    ^this!!

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Hartline and Perriman.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    FA- Randall Cobb(ties to Joker), FA- Hartline, Hawkins, Gabriel. Than Draft Tyler Lockett and Benji battle it out for PR KR/WR

  • @baconhound said:

    No one on that list is getting significant time on any playoff team.

    Did you see the WRs on Sea and NE? Not exactly all-pro material...

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @thenew23 said:

    Did you see the WRs on Sea and NE? Not exactly all-pro material...

    Hawkins had the best numbers on the team and they were worse than all but Kearse who is at least a tall WR that requires coverage.

    Benjamin - too weak

    Gabriel - too small

    Hawkins - good slot/possession WR

    Miles Austin - old and slow

    Cecil Shorts - injury prone/possession WR

    Ted Ginn Jr. - never really been effective for an entire system

    Brian Hartline - possession WR no real threat

    At best all these guys are 3rd down/possession WRs not one has the ability to stretch the field

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Demarius Thomas

    Dez Bryant

    Randall Cobb

    Cecil Shorts

    Brian Hartline

    Ted Ginn Jr.

    Not saying that teams are going to let the first group go but they are the type of WR the Browns need.

  • Demarius Thomas

    Dez Bryant

    Randall Cobb

    Cecil Shorts

    Brian Hartline

    Ted Ginn Jr.

    Not saying that teams are going to let the first group go but they are the type of WR the Browns need.

    F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @baconhound said:

    Demarius Thomas

    Dez Bryant

    Randall Cobb

    Cecil Shorts

    Brian Hartline

    Ted Ginn Jr.

    Not saying that teams are going to let the first group go but they are the type of WR the Browns need.

    Fantasy - yes, Realistic? - I don't think so!

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #18

    OSU homerism aside, I am not sure why people want Tedd Ginn....

  • @baconhound said:

    Demarius Thomas

    Dez Bryant

    Randall Cobb

    Cecil Shorts

    Brian Hartline

    Ted Ginn Jr.

    Not saying that teams are going to let the first group go but they are the type of WR the Browns need.

    Fantasy - yes, Realistic? - I don't think so!

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @frenchie said:

    Fantasy - yes, Realistic? - I don't think so!

    I guess you missed the last sentence. I don't see spending $5 million in cap space on a free agent possession WR when there are already 3 on the roster.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Did you see the WRs on Sea and NE? Not exactly all-pro material...

    Hawkins had the best numbers on the team and they were worse than all but Kearse who is at least a tall WR that requires coverage.

    Benjamin - too weak

    Gabriel - too small

    Hawkins - good slot/possession WR

    Miles Austin - old and slow

    Cecil Shorts - injury prone/possession WR

    Ted Ginn Jr. - never really been effective for an entire system

    Brian Hartline - possession WR no real threat

    At best all these guys are 3rd down/possession WRs not one has the ability to stretch the field

    F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @baconhound said:

    Hawkins had the best numbers on the team and they were worse than all but Kearse who is at least a tall WR that requires coverage.

    Benjamin - too weak

    Gabriel - too small

    Hawkins - good slot/possession WR

    Miles Austin - old and slow

    Cecil Shorts - injury prone/possession WR

    Ted Ginn Jr. - never really been effective for an entire system

    Brian Hartline - possession WR no real threat

    At best all these guys are 3rd down/possession WRs not one has the ability to stretch the field

    We saw Gabriel and Benjamin go deep a couple of times last year. I see Hawkins and Gabriel in the slot, Shorts and Hartline as starters. Ginni and Benjamin in back-up & return roles, and Austin as 3rd down/possession. Austin has another year left in him.

  • @baconhound said:

    Hawkins had the best numbers on the team and they were worse than all but Kearse who is at least a tall WR that requires coverage.

    Benjamin - too weak

    Gabriel - too small

    Hawkins - good slot/possession WR

    Miles Austin - old and slow

    Cecil Shorts - injury prone/possession WR

    Ted Ginn Jr. - never really been effective for an entire system

    Brian Hartline - possession WR no real threat

    At best all these guys are 3rd down/possession WRs not one has the ability to stretch the field

    We saw Gabriel and Benjamin go deep a couple of times last year. I see Hawkins and Gabriel in the slot, Shorts and Hartline as starters. Ginni and Benjamin in back-up & return roles, and Austin as 3rd down/possession. Austin has another year left in him.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @frenchie said:

    We saw Gabriel and Benjamin go deep a couple of times last year. I see Hawkins and Gabriel in the slot, Shorts and Hartline as starters. Ginni and Benjamin in back-up & return roles, and Austin as 3rd down/possession. Austin has another year left in him.

    A couple of times, yes. Most teams have at least one guy who can move the needle on any given down, that guy was Josh Gordon for the Browns. They need to try to replace that threat. You can do it in the draft by drafting a WR at 12 or 19. The other guys are what they are.

  • OSU homerism aside, I am not sure why people want Tedd Ginn....

    F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @mld-woody said:

    OSU homerism aside, I am not sure why people want Tedd Ginn....

    He would improve the return game and add some injury insurance/depth to the team at WR. Yes, there is OSU homerism but I think the Browns need to leverage that to get some WR bodies in here.

  • @mld-woody said:

    OSU homerism aside, I am not sure why people want Tedd Ginn....

    He would improve the return game and add some injury insurance/depth to the team at WR. Yes, there is OSU homerism but I think the Browns need to leverage that to get some WR bodies in here.

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @frenchie said:

    He would improve the return game and add some injury insurance/depth to the team at WR. Yes, there is OSU homerism but I think the Browns need to leverage that to get some WR bodies in here.

    Ted Ginn has only caught more than 20 balls twice in the last six years.

  • @frenchie said:

    We saw Gabriel and Benjamin go deep a couple of times last year. I see Hawkins and Gabriel in the slot, Shorts and Hartline as starters. Ginni and Benjamin in back-up & return roles, and Austin as 3rd down/possession. Austin has another year left in him.

    A couple of times, yes. Most teams have at least one guy who can move the needle on any given down, that guy was Josh Gordon for the Browns. They need to try to replace that threat. You can do it in the draft by drafting a WR at 12 or 19. The other guys are what they are.

    F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @baconhound said:

    A couple of times, yes. Most teams have at least one guy who can move the needle on any given down, that guy was Josh Gordon for the Browns. They need to try to replace that threat. You can do it in the draft by drafting a WR at 12 or 19. The other guys are what they are.

    I agree. That's why I put Devonte into the formula (or some other drafted player available at either 12 or 19). But if that's the group we end up with, I'll give a B rating and we can address it again in 2016.