Skip to content

Brian Hartline to visit Browns on Tues

The Browns Board
82 32 2.9k
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #1

    I still want Randall Cobb, but hey, I'd love this guy to be with the Browns.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/03/brian-hartline-to-visit-browns-on-tuesday/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #2

    You could sign Ginn and Hartline, and draft a star wr...

    you'd upgrade the wr group hugely.

  • BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Yes, I would like to see Hartline here. He reminds me of a Brian Brennan type; hard working, catches most everything thrown his way. I also worked with his cousin in Akron!

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Solid vet, would be a good move.

    Z

  • Yes, I would like to see Hartline here. He reminds me of a Brian Brennan type; hard working, catches most everything thrown his way. I also worked with his cousin in Akron!

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @brownskidd said:

    Yes, I would like to see Hartline here. He reminds me of a Brian Brennan type; hard working, catches most everything thrown his way. I also worked with his cousin in Akron!

    No where near the same player aside from skin color.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #6

    Why the sudden dropoff? Tannehill arrived in 2012 and he had two 1000+ yr seasons before this year.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #7
    No where near the same player aside from skin color. Tiam
    ***********************

    Nowhere near? Hartline is a lot bigger. But Brian Brennan averaged

    13 yards a reception, and Hartliine averaged 12.2 yards a reception, careerwise.

    That's very similar. And both were smart, tough players who loved the game, knew

    how to get open regardless of not having bigtime speed, and both could catch

    the ball excellently. I'd sign Hartline in a NY second, unless you get into a bidding

    war with Buffalo, who is also interested.

    Brian Brennan
    Height: 5-9 Weight: 178 Age: 53
    Born: 2/15/1962 Bloomfield , MI
    College: Boston College
    Experience: 9 Seasons
    REC
    334
    YDS
    4,336
    AVG
    13.0
    TDS
    20
    Brian Hartline
    #82 WR
    Miami Dolphins | Official Team Site
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 200 Age: 28
    Born: 11/22/1986 Canton , OH
    College: Ohio State
    Experience: 7th season
    High School: Glen Oak HS [North Canton, OH]
    REC
    39
    YDS
    474
    AVG
    12.2
    TDS
    2
  • Why the sudden dropoff? Tannehill arrived in 2012 and he had two 1000+ yr seasons before this year.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #8

    @texasag1969 said:

    Why the sudden dropoff? Tannehill arrived in 2012 and he had two 1000+ yr seasons before this year.

    When I watched Miami, I saw a team struggle to pass protect and then focus too heavily on getting Wallace the ball. Landry being the safety net in the slot.

    @calfoxwc said:

    No where near the same player aside from skin color. Tiam
    ***********************

    Nowhere near? Hartline is a lot bigger. But Brian Brennan averaged

    13 yards a reception, and Hartliine averaged 12.2 yards a reception, careerwise.

    That's very similar. And both were smart, tough players who loved the game, knew

    how to get open regardless of not having bigtime speed, and both could catch

    the ball excellently. I'd sign Hartline in a NY second, unless you get into a bidding

    war with Buffalo, who is also interested.

    Their measurables and style of game are different, of course the results speak for themselves as both had/have strong hands and great feel for what defenses are attempting to do to them.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #9

    From what I saw of Miami this year and of Hartline in general, the dude catches everything thrown to him. Sign him up... he's only 28

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #10

    In case nobody has watched him play.

    edit: If the number I'm reading are accurate, he was targeted on 62 times on the year. Might help explain some of the drop off.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #11

    Hartline and Brennan LOVED the game. They were ***FOOTBALL PLAYERS*** from

    the beginning of their school careers. Watching Hartline's video sure reminds me of

    Brennan.

    Both played qb at one time. For anybody interested,

    here is a highlight video of Brian Brennan. 5'9" ? Yep.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #12

    He seems like he'd be a good fit for the browns.

  • B brownsfandenver wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Watching that video it is more interesting to watch Tannehill. he looks at other recievers but he always looks where Hartline is suppose to be and is always there. Hartlines catchs are forward and getting down not taking that big hit. He isnt a burner he is a accurate route safety blanket receiver that we havent had in a long time. Hartline is always at the sticks and knows where he needs to get to for the first watch his head he catches the ball and looks for the sticks and get as close to them as he can. we dont need burners at reciever we needs guys that catch and get 1str downs.

  • A Alkid3 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Yeah I'll take Hartline with a hometown discount.

  • In case nobody has watched him play.

    edit: If the number I'm reading are accurate, he was targeted on 62 times on the year. Might help explain some of the drop off.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @tiamat63 said:

    edit: If the number I'm reading are accurate, he was targeted on 62 times on the year. Might help explain some of the drop off.

    pfr has it at 63 for '14... in the ballpark of his first three-years, but roughly half of what he saw in his career years of '12 and '13.

    Looks like Jarvis Landry's arrival stole Brian's opportunities, pushed Brain back to the #3WR role. With Landry's 84 catches in 112 targets it's easy to see why. Hard to match that kind of success rate.

    Brian dropped 6.4% of his 2014 targets. Essentially the same as our worst WR by that measure, Benji (6.5%).

    Other years...

    2013 6.8%

    2012 3.1%

    2011 4.6%

    2010 4.1%

    2009 5.4%

    Hey... at least in '09 Ginn's 11.5% drop rate made Brian look fantastic.

    I just don't see the upgrade here...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    edit: If the number I'm reading are accurate, he was targeted on 62 times on the year. Might help explain some of the drop off.

    pfr has it at 63 for '14... in the ballpark of his first three-years, but roughly half of what he saw in his career years of '12 and '13.

    Looks like Jarvis Landry's arrival stole Brian's opportunities, pushed Brain back to the #3WR role. With Landry's 84 catches in 112 targets it's easy to see why. Hard to match that kind of success rate.

    Brian dropped 6.4% of his 2014 targets. Essentially the same as our worst WR by that measure, Benji (6.5%).

    Other years...

    2013 6.8%

    2012 3.1%

    2011 4.6%

    2010 4.1%

    2009 5.4%

    Hey... at least in '09 Ginn's 11.5% drop rate made Brian look fantastic.

    I just don't see the upgrade here...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @tour2ma said:

    pfr has it at 63 for '14... in the ballpark of his first three-years, but roughly half of what he saw in his career years of '12 and '13.

    Looks like Jarvis Landry's arrival stole Brian's opportunities, pushed Brain back to the #3WR role. With Landry's 84 catches in 112 targets it's easy to see why. Hard to match that kind of success rate.

    Brian dropped 6.4% of his 2014 targets. Essentially the same as our worst WR by that measure, Benji (6.5%).

    Other years...

    2013 6.8%

    2012 3.1%

    2011 4.6%

    2010 4.1%

    2009 5.4%

    Hey... at least in '09 Ginn's 11.5% drop rate made Brian look fantastic.

    I just don't see the upgrade here...

    I find it a little difficult to compare outright drop percentages without mixing in targets and total catches. In which case, Benji's drop rate for how little he's involved as a receiver is scary.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by thenew23
    #17

    Now this is a signing I could get behind. He seems very reliable, especially as a 3rd WR. I'd love to see him and Shorts come in, along with a draft pick.

    Hawkins

    Shorts

    Hartline

    Rookie

    Gabriel

    Benjamin

    Battle it out for 5 spots on the roster... That seems like a reliable bunch. Not sure who stretches the field, unless we take that rookie with our #12 pick (Cooper, White)

    Still need a TE though...

  • Now this is a signing I could get behind. He seems very reliable, especially as a 3rd WR. I'd love to see him and Shorts come in, along with a draft pick.

    Hawkins

    Shorts

    Hartline

    Rookie

    Gabriel

    Benjamin

    Battle it out for 5 spots on the roster... That seems like a reliable bunch. Not sure who stretches the field, unless we take that rookie with our #12 pick (Cooper, White)

    Still need a TE though...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @thenew23 said:

    Now this is a signing I could get behind. He seems very reliable, especially as a 3rd WR. I'd love to see him and Shorts come in, along with a draft pick.

    Hawkins

    Shorts

    Hartline

    Rookie

    Gabriel

    Benjamin

    Battle it out for 5 spots on the roster... That seems like a reliable bunch. Not sure who stretches the field, unless we take that rookie with our #12 pick (Cooper, White)

    Still need a TE though...

    Dr Dray and Barnidge filled in rather admirably but there are several athletic, vertical threat TE's to be had in the later rounds of the draft.

  • cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Might be the biggest FA signing we have this year.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #20

    This makes sense

    Ginn does not