Skip to content

Charles Clay visits Browns after Bills

The Browns Board
33 12 1.7k
  • @mudfly said:

    Miami has enough to basically sign one mid range guy @ $5-6m....which is about what Cameron/Clay could draw....

    so, just as an example......we could sign clay to a 3yr - $15 million contract...front loaded ....like this....

    year 1 = $ 7million (all guaranteed)....which Miami cant match

    year 2 = $ 4 million

    year 3 = $ 4 million

    so, it's about structuring it right, cause anything over $6 mil and Miami is out......

    Is this guy worth that?.....not that I care about the money.....just the effect the money has to the cap and other opportunities.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    Is this guy worth that?.....not that I care about the money.....just the effect the money has to the cap and other opportunities.

    I think he probably is,....not a 10 mil guy and not a 2 mil guy....bottom line, if he and Cameron are both going to get $5m a year, then Id rather spend my 5 on Clay.......

    and, considering our excess funds this year, the front loaded/declining contract will work to our advantage going forward...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Is this guy worth that?.....not that I care about the money.....just the effect the money has to the cap and other opportunities.

    I think he probably is,....not a 10 mil guy and not a 2 mil guy....bottom line, if he and Cameron are both going to get $5m a year, then Id rather spend my 5 on Clay.......

    and, considering our excess funds this year, the front loaded/declining contract will work to our advantage going forward...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mudfly said:

    I think he probably is,....not a 10 mil guy and not a 2 mil guy....bottom line, if he and Cameron are both going to get $5m a year, then Id rather spend my 5 on Clay.......

    and, considering our excess funds this year, the front loaded/declining contract will work to our advantage going forward...

    OK, brilliant....that cold knock Miami out of it.....but who else is in the hunt for him?

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I think it's us or Buffalo....

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I can't imagine Hartline isn't doing some recruiting on this...

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Pros/Cons Cameron vs. Clay:

    Clay about 8 months younger actually than Jordan

    What about injury history? Jordan's is an issue, how about Clay?

    Clay has had more catches for more yards and more TDs that Cameron....of course Cameron has missed half his games.

    Other pros/cons? I am of the belief that the money should be similar.

    Cameron saying essentially that he doesn't want to stay......so black mark on him.

    What else?

  • Browns_Fucking_RuleB Browns_Fucking_Rule wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Even though we just inked Cameron, I still wouldn't mind picking up Clay because of Jordan's injury history.

  • Even though we just inked Cameron, I still wouldn't mind picking up Clay because of Jordan's injury history.

    cvcanedyC cvcanedy wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @browns_fucking_rule said:

    Even though we just inked Cameron, I still wouldn't mind picking up Clay because of Jordan's injury history.

    Totally agree. Different types of players for sure

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Yes Buffalo it going after Clay after releasing Chandler. My bet is Rex Ryan will win on this one.

  • Yes Buffalo it going after Clay after releasing Chandler. My bet is Rex Ryan will win on this one.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @opal312 said:

    Yes Buffalo it going after Clay after releasing Chandler. My bet is Rex Ryan will win on this one.

    Well, now that the Browns actually did lose Cameron, they need to try harder to get Clay.

    I would hope the whole embarassment of "we signed JC.....oops, no we didn't" would motivate them to go out and get this guy.

  • I can't imagine Hartline isn't doing some recruiting on this...

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @tiamat63 said:

    I can't imagine Hartline isn't doing some recruiting on this...

    Good point...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I can't imagine Hartline isn't doing some recruiting on this...

    Good point...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    Good point...

    So? Right now we can look at this as a trade between the Browns and Dolphins, Jordan Cameron for Brian Hartline. We took their guy, they took ours.

    If that were a trade, would you make it?

    (but if we get Clay....we win?)

  • @tour2ma said:

    Good point...

    So? Right now we can look at this as a trade between the Browns and Dolphins, Jordan Cameron for Brian Hartline. We took their guy, they took ours.

    If that were a trade, would you make it?

    (but if we get Clay....we win?)

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    So? Right now we can look at this as a trade between the Browns and Dolphins, Jordan Cameron for Brian Hartline. We took their guy, they took ours.

    If that were a trade, would you make it?

    (but if we get Clay....we win?)

    Well they took the risk of more concussions, but protected themselves with no guaranteed money. We get a guy who may fit better what our O is trying to do eventually. Possession receiver vs occasional hr hitter who more often than not is not even there to play. I'll take that trade any day. History of concussions usually leads to very early retirement. We shall see.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Even if Clay get taken off the board for the Browns there are still a few TEs out there to be had, that may be as worthy as JC was (at least less risky):

    Jemaine Gresham

    Tony Moeaki

    Jacob Tamme

    David Ausberry

    Though I do think a TE will be taken in the draft. Probably not 1st/2d round but starting in round 3. James, O'Leary, Heuerman are possibles.

  • Even if Clay get taken off the board for the Browns there are still a few TEs out there to be had, that may be as worthy as JC was (at least less risky):

    Jemaine Gresham

    Tony Moeaki

    Jacob Tamme

    David Ausberry

    Though I do think a TE will be taken in the draft. Probably not 1st/2d round but starting in round 3. James, O'Leary, Heuerman are possibles.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @the-gipper said:

    Even if Clay get taken off the board for the Browns there are still a few TEs out there to be had, that may be as worthy as JC was (at least less risky):

    Jemaine Gresham

    Tony Moeaki

    Jacob Tamme

    David Ausberry

    Though I do think a TE will be taken in the draft. Probably not 1st/2d round but starting in round 3. James, O'Leary, Heuerman are possibles.

    Moeaki and Heuerman would be ideal, in my opinion.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Good point...

    So? Right now we can look at this as a trade between the Browns and Dolphins, Jordan Cameron for Brian Hartline. We took their guy, they took ours.

    If that were a trade, would you make it?

    (but if we get Clay....we win?)

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #32

    With Barn the odd man out?

    Moeaki seems to miss a lot of time...

    @the-gipper said:

    So? Right now we can look at this as a trade between the Browns and Dolphins, Jordan Cameron for Brian Hartline. We took their guy, they took ours.

    Point was if Hartline has credibility with Clay he can recruit Clay. It was a good point neither mentioned before nor commented upon after.

    If it ends up Hartline + Clay for Cam... I'd welcome it.

    If it remains stuck at Hart + $9mm vs. Cam, I'm fine with that.

  • With Barn the odd man out?

    Moeaki seems to miss a lot of time...

    @the-gipper said:

    So? Right now we can look at this as a trade between the Browns and Dolphins, Jordan Cameron for Brian Hartline. We took their guy, they took ours.

    Point was if Hartline has credibility with Clay he can recruit Clay. It was a good point neither mentioned before nor commented upon after.

    If it ends up Hartline + Clay for Cam... I'd welcome it.

    If it remains stuck at Hart + $9mm vs. Cam, I'm fine with that.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #33

    @tour2ma said:

    With Barn the odd man out?

    Moeaki seems to miss a lot of time...

    Point was if Hartline has credibility with Clay he can recruit Clay. It was a good point neither mentioned before nor commented upon after.

    If it ends up Hartline + Clay for Cam... I'd welcome it.

    If it remains stuck at Hart + $9mm vs. Cam, I'm fine with that.

    I hear ya. Heads we win - tails they lose. Not to mention what 1 more concussion does to all that hot math in Miami's front office...