Skip to content

All Time Browns Depth Chart

The Browns Board
72 15 2.6k
  • As much as I hate to tout a U of Texas player, there has to be room for Eric Metcalf

    "Overall, Metcalf finished his career with 2,392 rushing yards, 541 receptions for 5,572 yards, 3,453 punt return yards, and 5,813 yards returning kickoffs. This gave him a total of 17,230 all-purpose yards, ranking him among the NFL's top 10 in that category at the time of his retirement. He also scored 55 touchdowns (12 rushing, 31 receiving, ten punt returns, two kickoff returns). His 12 returns for touchdowns are the third most in NFL history behind Devin Hester and Brian Mitchell. Metcalf's 10 punt return touchdowns were an NFL record, until October 2, 2011 when Devin Hester broke it against the Carolina Panthers. He is the only player ever to have 7,000+ yards on offense and 7,000+ yards on kickoff/punt returns."

  • @the-gipper said:

    Jim Brown would still be a Lamborghini is this day and age.

    And for all we know, Groza may have performed as well as Dawson if they were teaching the soccer style of kicking in his day.

    And did you see where Ballpeen called you an 11 year old mongoloid? ❗

    Jim brown outweigh most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now he'd be another Peyton Hillis.

    Auto Grahm would have a hard time beating out Branden weeden for a backup.

    @larryfine said:

    Jim brown outweigh most of the linebackers he played against. If he played now he'd be another Peyton Hillis.

    Auto Grahm would have a hard time beating out Branden weeden for a backup.

    You are as stupid as anyone I have ever seen on this board. I have to assume you are a Steeler fan. No fan of any other team could be as dumb as you come off.

  • Jim Brown would probably just be average if he played now. Bug, strong, fast HBs aren't an anomaly now.

    Lou Groza would be a terrible kicker, and in no way better than Dawson.

    If you want the very best team, your depth chart above would not be it

    @mld-woody said:

    Jim Brown would probably just be average if he played now. Bug, strong, fast HBs aren't an anomaly now.

    Lou Groza would be a terrible kicker, and in no way better than Dawson.

    If you want the very best team, your depth chart above would not be it

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

  • As much as I hate to tout a U of Texas player, there has to be room for Eric Metcalf

    "Overall, Metcalf finished his career with 2,392 rushing yards, 541 receptions for 5,572 yards, 3,453 punt return yards, and 5,813 yards returning kickoffs. This gave him a total of 17,230 all-purpose yards, ranking him among the NFL's top 10 in that category at the time of his retirement. He also scored 55 touchdowns (12 rushing, 31 receiving, ten punt returns, two kickoff returns). His 12 returns for touchdowns are the third most in NFL history behind Devin Hester and Brian Mitchell. Metcalf's 10 punt return touchdowns were an NFL record, until October 2, 2011 when Devin Hester broke it against the Carolina Panthers. He is the only player ever to have 7,000+ yards on offense and 7,000+ yards on kickoff/punt returns."

    @texasag1969 said:

    As much as I hate to tout a U of Texas player, there has to be room for Eric Metcalf

    "Overall, Metcalf finished his career with 2,392 rushing yards, 541 receptions for 5,572 yards, 3,453 punt return yards, and 5,813 yards returning kickoffs. This gave him a total of 17,230 all-purpose yards, ranking him among the NFL's top 10 in that category at the time of his retirement. He also scored 55 touchdowns (12 rushing, 31 receiving, ten punt returns, two kickoff returns). His 12 returns for touchdowns are the third most in NFL history behind Devin Hester and Brian Mitchell. Metcalf's 10 punt return touchdowns were an NFL record, until October 2, 2011 when Devin Hester broke it against the Carolina Panthers. He is the only player ever to have 7,000+ yards on offense and 7,000+ yards on kickoff/punt returns."

    We love us some Eric Metcalf. But he obviously isn't going to break into the RB list......so the best I could do is to put him at backup Kick Returner. Josh Cribbs surpassed Eric's KR accomplishments. That means I would have to move Mitchell.

  • OK, I made some changeups to my Depth Chart:

    A. I put Jim Brown in at FB, backed up by Motley (relegating M. Pruitt)

    B. I put Greg Pruitt in at backup RB behind Kelly

    C. I put Bobby Mitchell at backup WR behind Warfield (relegating Speedie)

    D. I put Joe Thomas in at one starting OT, backed up by Dieken (leaving Groza only at K)

    E. I put Jerry Sherk in as a starter, and Walter Johnson in as backup to Michael Dean Perry

    F. I put Cribbs in at starting KR, backed up by Eric Metcalf (moving Mitchell to WR)

    G. I put Gillom in at starting Punter, backed up by Chris Gardocki (leaving Collins only as WR)

    I did not move E-Rock in ahead of Scott, because Scott was a SS where E-Rock was a FS....and I left E-Rock behind Darden at FS.

    I did not put a good current day kicker ahead of a fucking Hall of Fame player. Anyone that says I should is, in the words of ballpeen an 11 year old mongoloid.

    See the original post for the changes.

    Anything else?

  • Clarence Scott still bothering me. He moved to safety at the end of his career. He was a good CB, then a good safety, never great.

    Eric Turner was a great safety. Played first two years as a strong safety and then switched to free.

    Warren Lahr is another guy worth mentioning, but i think his career was split up between CB (defensive halfback) and S too.

    Overall, a pretty impressive team, a lot of Steeler killers.

    Zombo

  • Yes, the FS/SS thing is a dilemma. Here is Scott's line"

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/ScotCl00.htm

    8 years as a corner, 4 years at SS, one at FS

    Here is E-Rocks:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TurnEr00.htm

    2 years at SS with Browns, 3 years at FS.

    Darden definitely gets the FS nod, all but one year spent there:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DardTh00.htm

    Here is Lahr's line:

    ww.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LahrWa20.htm

    He is listed as an "LDH" which I can't figure out....or just as a generic DB.

    I agree that Lahr should probably be on the depth chart....but where?

    There are other early guys that could be considered: Ken Konz, Tommy James, Cliff Lewis. 40s/50s guys.

    Here are the top Ten Browns in Interceptions, not that Ints are the sole factor to consider:

    1. Darden 45

    2. Lahr 44

    3. Scott 39

    4. Tommy James 34

    5. Ken Konz 30

    5. Cliff Lewis 30

    7. Bernie Parish 29

    8. Ross Fichtner 27

    9. Mike Howell 27

    10. Hanford Dixon 26

    10. Felix Wright 26.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Jim Brown would probably just be average if he played now. Bug, strong, fast HBs aren't an anomaly now.

    Lou Groza would be a terrible kicker, and in no way better than Dawson.

    If you want the very best team, your depth chart above would not be it

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

    @the-gipper said:

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

  • @the-gipper said:

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

    @mld-woody said:

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

    No fucking shit Sherlock.....but they weren't better.

    (and some of them weren't any of that.....Jim Brown is as big, fast, strong as any RB playing today. Paul Warfield, while not big would have fit fine today.

    Marion Motley could have been as big as Jerome Bettis.

    And, fyi.....if the likes of Groza, MacCormack, Willis, Ford etc were playing today....they too would be as big and as strong as today's players......they would have had the advantage of the training/nutrition that today's athletes did.

    Do you think that today's athletes got that way by evolution? They got that way through applied methods....

  • @the-gipper said:

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

    @mld-woody said:

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

    What's wrong with making an all-time depth chart based upon how they played against their peers?

    You want guys that only played the last ten years because they are the biggest and fastest? What fun is that?

    I don't know how Otto Graham would do in the NFL today if you raised him from the dead, put him in a time machine, had him born in 1990, put him through modern high school and college football training and then put him on an NFL roster. Who cares? 50 years from now there will a guy bigger, stronger and a faster than Tom Brady playing QB for the Patriots and there will be a bigger, faster, stronger DL playing for the texans than JJ Watt and some punk kid will want to leave them off of their team's all-time roster.

    When the NFL, NBA and MLB select their all-time teams they select Jim Brown, Bill Russell and Babe Ruth ... not Arian Foster, Dwight Howard and Ryan Braun.

    Zombo

  • As much as I hate to tout a U of Texas player, there has to be room for Eric Metcalf

    "Overall, Metcalf finished his career with 2,392 rushing yards, 541 receptions for 5,572 yards, 3,453 punt return yards, and 5,813 yards returning kickoffs. This gave him a total of 17,230 all-purpose yards, ranking him among the NFL's top 10 in that category at the time of his retirement. He also scored 55 touchdowns (12 rushing, 31 receiving, ten punt returns, two kickoff returns). His 12 returns for touchdowns are the third most in NFL history behind Devin Hester and Brian Mitchell. Metcalf's 10 punt return touchdowns were an NFL record, until October 2, 2011 when Devin Hester broke it against the Carolina Panthers. He is the only player ever to have 7,000+ yards on offense and 7,000+ yards on kickoff/punt returns."

    @texasag1969 said:

    As much as I hate to tout a U of Texas player, there has to be room for Eric Metcalf

    The Browns never figured out how to use Eric on Offense. Turned out he just wasn't an NFL RB, averaged under 4 ypc for his career.

    Left us for ATL, who moved him to WR, and he promptly posted a 1000-yard season.

    But he was a helluva punt returner.

  • Yes, the FS/SS thing is a dilemma. Here is Scott's line"

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/ScotCl00.htm

    8 years as a corner, 4 years at SS, one at FS

    Here is E-Rocks:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TurnEr00.htm

    2 years at SS with Browns, 3 years at FS.

    Darden definitely gets the FS nod, all but one year spent there:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DardTh00.htm

    Here is Lahr's line:

    ww.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LahrWa20.htm

    He is listed as an "LDH" which I can't figure out....or just as a generic DB.

    I agree that Lahr should probably be on the depth chart....but where?

    There are other early guys that could be considered: Ken Konz, Tommy James, Cliff Lewis. 40s/50s guys.

    Here are the top Ten Browns in Interceptions, not that Ints are the sole factor to consider:

    1. Darden 45

    2. Lahr 44

    3. Scott 39

    4. Tommy James 34

    5. Ken Konz 30

    5. Cliff Lewis 30

    7. Bernie Parish 29

    8. Ross Fichtner 27

    9. Mike Howell 27

    10. Hanford Dixon 26

    10. Felix Wright 26.

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is Lahr's line:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LahrWa20.htm

    He is listed as an "LDH" which I can't figure out....or just as a generic DB.

    LDH = Left Defensive Halfback (AKA left cornerback)... either that or he was a Mormon...

    Warren was a good, smart CB for many years... and very fast for his day as I recall.

    EDIT: ... and the two LS notations were Left Safety.

  • Besides, Otto Graham was 6'1" 200 lbs. While that is less than the average QB today, which is about 6'3" 220, it is still plenty big enough. He would have probably played today closer to the 220 mark. And all these QBs who are just 6/2 or less play today:

    Russell Wilson

    John P. Manziel

    Drew Brees

    Mike Vick

    Chase Daniel

    Bruce Gradkowski

    Tyrod Taylor

    all of the above are 6'1" or less

    And the following are 6'2

    Romo

    Rodgers

    Stafford

    Griffin

    Dalton

    Fitzgerald

    Carr

    Locker

    Sanchez

    Bridgewater

    Hoyer

    Clausen

    Flynn.

    Otto would have had no trouble.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

    What's wrong with making an all-time depth chart based upon how they played against their peers?

    You want guys that only played the last ten years because they are the biggest and fastest? What fun is that?

    I don't know how Otto Graham would do in the NFL today if you raised him from the dead, put him in a time machine, had him born in 1990, put him through modern high school and college football training and then put him on an NFL roster. Who cares? 50 years from now there will a guy bigger, stronger and a faster than Tom Brady playing QB for the Patriots and there will be a bigger, faster, stronger DL playing for the texans than JJ Watt and some punk kid will want to leave them off of their team's all-time roster.

    When the NFL, NBA and MLB select their all-time teams they select Jim Brown, Bill Russell and Babe Ruth ... not Arian Foster, Dwight Howard and Ryan Braun.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    What's wrong with making an all-time depth chart based upon how they played against their peers?

    You want guys that only played the last ten years because they are the biggest and fastest? What fun is that?

    I don't know how Otto Graham would do in the NFL today if you raised him from the dead, put him in a time machine, had him born in 1990, put him through modern high school and college football training and then put him on an NFL roster. Who cares? 50 years from now there will a guy bigger, stronger and a faster than Tom Brady playing QB for the Patriots and there will be a bigger, faster, stronger DL playing for the texans than JJ Watt and some punk kid will want to leave them off of their team's all-time roster.

    When the NFL, NBA and MLB select their all-time teams they select Jim Brown, Bill Russell and Babe Ruth ... not Arian Foster, Dwight Howard and Ryan Braun.

    Zombo

    Umm.... Read my posts again.

    I'm fine with it being an all time depth chart based on how they played against their peers. It was informed to be that this depth chart was supposed to just be the all time best players, regardless of the era. If that is what we're going for than this list is inaccurate.

    So I'm fine with what you are saying, but I was told this isn't what this depth chart is supposed to be

  • @texasag1969 said:

    As much as I hate to tout a U of Texas player, there has to be room for Eric Metcalf

    The Browns never figured out how to use Eric on Offense. Turned out he just wasn't an NFL RB, averaged under 4 ypc for his career.

    Left us for ATL, who moved him to WR, and he promptly posted a 1000-yard season.

    But he was a helluva punt returner.

    @tour2ma said:

    The Browns never figured out how to use Eric on Offense. Turned out he just wasn't an NFL RB, averaged under 4 ypc for his career.

    Left us for ATL, who moved him to WR, and he promptly posted a 1000-yard season.

    But he was a helluva punt returner.

    The favorite mantra of Bill Belichick was "Metcalf up the middle". Sorry, maybe now he is better, but in his early days here BB knew Bo Diddly about how to run an offense.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is Lahr's line:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LahrWa20.htm

    He is listed as an "LDH" which I can't figure out....or just as a generic DB.

    LDH = Left Defensive Halfback (AKA left cornerback)... either that or he was a Mormon...

    Warren was a good, smart CB for many years... and very fast for his day as I recall.

    EDIT: ... and the two LS notations were Left Safety.

    @tour2ma said:

    LDH = Left Defensive Halfback (AKA left cornerback)... either that or he was a Mormon...

    Warren was a good smart CB for many years.

    So what you are saying is that what we call a corner is now a Latter Day Defensive Halfback?

  • Zombo said:

    What's wrong with making an all-time depth chart based upon how they played against their peers?

    You want guys that only played the last ten years because they are the biggest and fastest? What fun is that?

    I don't know how Otto Graham would do in the NFL today if you raised him from the dead, put him in a time machine, had him born in 1990, put him through modern high school and college football training and then put him on an NFL roster. Who cares? 50 years from now there will a guy bigger, stronger and a faster than Tom Brady playing QB for the Patriots and there will be a bigger, faster, stronger DL playing for the texans than JJ Watt and some punk kid will want to leave them off of their team's all-time roster.

    When the NFL, NBA and MLB select their all-time teams they select Jim Brown, Bill Russell and Babe Ruth ... not Arian Foster, Dwight Howard and Ryan Braun.

    Zombo

    Umm.... Read my posts again.

    I'm fine with it being an all time depth chart based on how they played against their peers. It was informed to be that this depth chart was supposed to just be the all time best players, regardless of the era. If that is what we're going for than this list is inaccurate.

    So I'm fine with what you are saying, but I was told this isn't what this depth chart is supposed to be

    @mld-woody said:

    Umm.... Read my posts again.

    I'm fine with it being an all time depth chart based on how they played against their peers. It was informed to be that this depth chart was supposed to just be the all time best players, regardless of the era. If that is what we're going for than this list is inaccurate.

    So I'm fine with what you are saying, but I was told this isn't what this depth chart is supposed to be

    These are the best players.

    Who was better that we left off?

    Braylon Edwards? I imagine he was bigger, faster and stronger than Dante Lavelli, but he couldnt catch and ol' Gluefingers could.

    Im interested to know which QBs you think were better than Graham and which RB was better than Brown.

    Z

  • @mld-woody said:

    Jim Brown would probably just be average if he played now. Bug, strong, fast HBs aren't an anomaly now.

    Lou Groza would be a terrible kicker, and in no way better than Dawson.

    If you want the very best team, your depth chart above would not be it

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

    @the-gipper said:

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

    Better that AP? Debatable. I get your much better than their @ the time peers- but better than current players? Um, not so fast. IIRC, Geno Marchetti was the first lineman to top 300 pounds- now it's a rarity for any lineman to weigh LESS than 300 pounds. I don't think you could find a starting OL who weighs less than that. You can debate if the oldsters had the same training tools available to current athletes, they'd be competitive- but I'd still bet the below average guys wouldn't be able to cut it in today's NFL- or any other sport. Just plain not big enough or fast enough. You want an example? Wilt Chamberlain would doubtless be a HOF center in today's NBA- still think he could post a couple 100 point games against today's level of competition? I for one say hell no.

    So all we're saying is the average level of skill in today's sports world is far, far superior than it was 50 years ago. So yeah- the absolute greatest would probably be great in any era. But- I'd put heavy money on Kentucky's college team to blow out George Mikan's NBA guys.

    BTW Gip- Pele was to soccer as Jim Brown was to football.

    @mld-woody said:

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

    Just let him live in his nostalgia world- you ought to know by now, even if Gip's wrong, he's still right.

  • Zombo said:

    What's wrong with making an all-time depth chart based upon how they played against their peers?

    You want guys that only played the last ten years because they are the biggest and fastest? What fun is that?

    I don't know how Otto Graham would do in the NFL today if you raised him from the dead, put him in a time machine, had him born in 1990, put him through modern high school and college football training and then put him on an NFL roster. Who cares? 50 years from now there will a guy bigger, stronger and a faster than Tom Brady playing QB for the Patriots and there will be a bigger, faster, stronger DL playing for the texans than JJ Watt and some punk kid will want to leave them off of their team's all-time roster.

    When the NFL, NBA and MLB select their all-time teams they select Jim Brown, Bill Russell and Babe Ruth ... not Arian Foster, Dwight Howard and Ryan Braun.

    Zombo

    Umm.... Read my posts again.

    I'm fine with it being an all time depth chart based on how they played against their peers. It was informed to be that this depth chart was supposed to just be the all time best players, regardless of the era. If that is what we're going for than this list is inaccurate.

    So I'm fine with what you are saying, but I was told this isn't what this depth chart is supposed to be

    @mld-woody said:

    Umm.... Read my posts again.

    I'm fine with it being an all time depth chart based on how they played against their peers. It was informed to be that this depth chart was supposed to just be the all time best players, regardless of the era. If that is what we're going for than this list is inaccurate.

    So I'm fine with what you are saying, but I was told this isn't what this depth chart is supposed to be

    It is absolutely accurate....well in the extent that you include Hall of Fame players over current middle of the road players.

    See, in you thinking Babe Ruth would be an inferior ball player to like Brandon Moss.

    Timofey Mozgov would be a better center than Bill Russell.

    Ryan Seymour would be a better center than Frank Gatski.

    More and more idiocy keeps drooling out of your cock pocket.

  • @the-gipper said:

    By your way of thinking....below average players league wide in today's game should be put on an All time Greats team over Hall of Fame players that played in the past.

    Is that how you roll?

    Then I can only assume that you think that Pele would be a bench warmer at best at soccer.....since you are such a soccer fag.

    Jim Brown would be better right here right now than either Adrian Peterson or DeMarcus Murray.

    Better that AP? Debatable. I get your much better than their @ the time peers- but better than current players? Um, not so fast. IIRC, Geno Marchetti was the first lineman to top 300 pounds- now it's a rarity for any lineman to weigh LESS than 300 pounds. I don't think you could find a starting OL who weighs less than that. You can debate if the oldsters had the same training tools available to current athletes, they'd be competitive- but I'd still bet the below average guys wouldn't be able to cut it in today's NFL- or any other sport. Just plain not big enough or fast enough. You want an example? Wilt Chamberlain would doubtless be a HOF center in today's NBA- still think he could post a couple 100 point games against today's level of competition? I for one say hell no.

    So all we're saying is the average level of skill in today's sports world is far, far superior than it was 50 years ago. So yeah- the absolute greatest would probably be great in any era. But- I'd put heavy money on Kentucky's college team to blow out George Mikan's NBA guys.

    BTW Gip- Pele was to soccer as Jim Brown was to football.

    @mld-woody said:

    Players today are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm sorry if that shatters your nostalgia.

    Just let him live in his nostalgia world- you ought to know by now, even if Gip's wrong, he's still right.

    @hoorta said:

    Better that AP? Debatable.

    Maybe....but JB would win that debate. Peterson is 6'1" 217. JB was 6'2" 232. I don't know about the speed...they didn't do 40 times in JBs days....but I hear that his speed was about the same as Peterson's 4.4.

    You take AP on your team, I'll take JB.....and I will be confident as hell in the lineup of my team....at least at that position

    I get your much better than their @ the time peers- but better than current players? Um, not so fast. IIRC, Geno Marchetti was the first lineman to top 300 pounds- now it's a rarity for any lineman to weigh LESS than 300 pounds. I don't think you could find a starting OL who weighs less than that. You can debate if the oldsters had the same training tools available to current athletes, they'd be competitive- but I'd still bet the below average guys wouldn't be able to cut it in today's NFL- or any other sport.

    Maybe those below average guys could not cut it today.....but my lineup is filled with HOFers.....not below avg. guys.

    Just plain not big enough or fast enough. You want an example? Wilt Chamberlain would doubtless be a HOF center in today's NBA- still think he could post a couple 100 point games against today's level of competition? I for one say hell no.

    No NBA offense would be designed today to let that happen....but if some team let a LeBron/Kobe in his prime go at it and say "score as much as you can" someone could come close. Didn't Kobe have like 81 points in a game not too long ago?

    So all we're saying is the average level of skill in today's sports world is far, far superior than it was 50 years ago. So yeah- the absolute greatest would probably be great in any era. But- I'd put heavy money on Kentucky's college team to blow out George Mikan's NBA guys.

    Mikan could be compared to probably Kaminski who nearly took them out. Wisconsin is sort of a throw back team....so I don't know...it could be close.

    BTW Gip- Pele was to soccer as Jim Brown was to football.

    Yea, I know....and Woody would relegate Pele to being a bench player.

    Just let him live in his nostalgia world- you ought to know by now, even if Gip's wrong, he's still right.