Skip to content

BROWNS ROSTER TRACKING

The Browns Board
80 27 11.3k
  • @fooleeze said:

    QB - Dorsey, Ken - Released 2/9: LINK

    QB - Gradkowski, Bruce - Released 2/9: LINK

    WR - Jurevicius, Joe - Released 3/11: LINK

    TE - Royal, Robert - FA Signing from Buffalo, 3/4: LINK

    TE - Winslow, Kellen - Traded to Tampa, 2/27: LINK

    OL - Young, Eric - Released 2/9: LINK

    DL - Mosley, C.J. - FA Signing from NY Jets, 3/6: LINK

    LB - Bowens, David - FA Signing from NY Jets, 3/10: LINK

    LB - Davis, Andra - Signed with Denver, 3/2: LINK

    LB - Peek, Antwaan - Released 2/9: LINK

    DB - Adams, Mike - Re-Signed, 3/6: LINK

    DB - Cargile, Steve - Signed with Giants: LINK

    DB - Cousin, Terry - Released 2/9: LINK

    DB - Daniels, Travis - Signed with Kansas City, 3/10: LINK

    DB - Elam, Abram - RFA from NY Jets signed to an Offer Sheet (7 days to match), 3/11: LINK

    DB - Jones, Sean - Signed with Eagles, 3/6: LINK

    DB - Poteat, Hank - FA Signing from NY Jets, 3/10: LINK

    P - Dragosavich, Mike - Released 2/9: LINK

    K - Reda, Jason - Released 2/9: LINK

    Looking over these moves...you may question one or two..but when looked as a whole it makes good sense.

    My personal line by line analysis would be something like this:

    Dorsey and Gradkowski - Neither showed the ability to move the team in their stints last year. While we know that the offense was struggling last year...their TOTAL inability to move the club guaranteed the both would be gone.

    Joe Jurevicious - I liked the guy...but face it...he was slow 2 years ago...is coming off of an injury...and this team needs to evaluate the young guys at the WR position (something we failed to do last year). So JJ was going to be doing nothing but taking up reps for the young guys.

    Winslow/Royal - We saw the team move well w/o Winslow last year...and we have heard rumors of this being a run first/WCO hybrid. Winslow didn't fit...he wasn't happy here...and he garnered good picks in return. Royal has always been solid...and may be a perfect fit here if Rucker or Heiden can't fill in. Good depth at the least.

    Eric Young - We got him off an injury for nothing...so ending the experiment was no big surprise

    Mosley/Bowens/Poteat/Elam - this is vintage Parcells/BB stuff. Go out and get a bunch of guys you know to provide depth and inspiration at positions of need. At the very least it gives the team depth and drafting freedom/options. At best we may get 1 or 2 starters out of the bunch.

    Davis/Peek - LB was our worst position...and we have been complaining about these two for the past 2 years. Davis just didn't get it done and Peek rarely saw the field. These were OBVIOUS moves.

    Mike Adams - He is a classic BB guy...somebody who is inexpensive and versatile enough to fill in multiple positions. I was worried when he visited NE.

    Terry Cousins - what is there to say...he got burned more than a blind kid trying to read braille on the stove.

    Cargile/Daniels - Neither saw the field much....and when they did were nothing but Cousins look-a-likes.

    Sean Jones - We all discussed this. He was going to ask too much. The deal he signed surprised me by being a 1 yr deal...but I think HE may have pushed for it after not finding the numbers he thought would be out there. He may believe he can make tons in 2010 with a good season this year. It did leave a hole, but rumors of Cribbs moving to S may make this a more logical move...and Adams didn't exactly shrink from the position last year.

    Kevin Shaffer - He was cut before a $1.45M bonus...and is overpaid. He may be resigned at a more cap friendly salary...but if not, keep in mind he is responsible for 3 QB's getting hurt over the past few years.

    Dragosavich/Reda - Kickers. So what. That was probably the one area we DIDN'T suck last year.

    Like I said. If you look at these moves as a hole...we are doing well.

    We have gained a 2nd round draft pick...picked up needed depth at DL/LB/DB/TE with core type players who know Mangini...cleared cap space...and kept the one FA that we felt showed real promise.

    We have also made this team younger (sorry JJ). And as for the Shaffer thing...Tucker can take it for one more year...then we go out and get a RT road grader so we can run the damn ball.

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Looking over these moves...you may question one or two..but when looked as a whole it makes good sense.

    I completely agree. Nothing too flashy yet, but it seems like we're clearing dead & underproducing money, and bringing in some good depth and good youth & growth potential. We certainly still need a few more players signed to make this complete. And I hope there are a few more moves to get a few draft picks. . . otherwise all of this cap-clearing work only serves to save Lerner some cash (which won't be popular with the fans).

  • @howiedawg said:

    So my hunch was correct, why did we make this signing? I'm beginning to think the silent Berea treatment is because there is no one home.

    you're just withdrawling because their isn't anyone leaking shit to the press every time ya turm around.

    just because one isn't privy to the info does not mean nothings going on. its how it should be....quiet.

    @choco said:

    you're just withdrawling because their isn't anyone leaking shit to the press every time ya turm around.

    just because one isn't privy to the info does not mean nothings going on. its how it should be....quiet.

    I hope you're right. I'm keeping my mouth shut until the end of April now I think! 🙂

    As long as we don't turn into the Cleveland Jets.

  • @fooleeze said:

    So I did something similar a year or so ago, and wanted to try it again. Below I've listed the entire roster, and I've tried to add information on cuts, trades, FA Signings (Yes, all of them. . . ) so we can have a comprehensive resource on how the roster has changed. I think it's useful, if nobody else does, then I'll remove it, or put it within the free-agency thread.

    So, give your input and help on anything I've missed. Include links so I can add them. Here goes:

    UPDATES: Using ESPN, NFL.com, and kffl.com, I've updated some Free Agents. Louis Leonard seems unconfirmed. Also, I can't find any information on Devale Ellis. He's not on the 'roster' page from clevelandbrowns.com, and he's not listed as a Brown on NFL.com.

    QB - Anderson, Derek

    QB - Bartel, Richard

    QB - Dorsey, Ken - Released 2/9: LINK

    QB - Gradkowski, Bruce - Released 2/9: LINK

    QB - Quinn, Brady

    RB - Harrison, Jerome

    RB - Lewis, Jamal

    RB - Patrick, Allen

    RB - Wright, Jason - Free Agent (UFA)

    FB - Ali, Charles

    FB - Vickers, Lawrence

    WR - Cribbs, Joshua

    WR - Edwards, Braylon

    WR - Hubbard, Paul

    WR - Jurevicius, Joe

    WR - Leggett, Lance

    WR - Stallworth, Donte

    WR - Steptoe, Syndric

    TE - Cieslak, Brad

    TE - Dinkins, Darnell - Free Agent (UFA)

    TE - Heiden, Steve

    TE - Madsen, John - Free Agent (RFA)

    TE - Royal, Robert - FA Signing from Buffalo, 3/4: LINK

    TE - Rucker, Martin

    TE - Winslow, Kellen - Traded to Tampa, 2/27: LINK

    OL - Fraley, Hank

    OL - Friedman, Lennie

    OL - Fry, Dustin

    OL - Hadnot, Rex

    OL - McKinney, Seth - Free Agent (UFA)

    OL - Quarterman, Kurt

    OL - Shaffer, Kevin

    OL - Sowells, Isaac

    OL - Steinbach, Eric

    OL - Thomas, Joe

    OL - Tucker, Ryan

    OL - Young, Scott - Free Agent (UFA)

    OL - Young, Eric - Released 2/9: LINK

    DL - Leonard, Louis - Free Agent???

    DL - Pittman, Chase - Free Agent (UFA)

    DL - Purcell, Melila

    DL - Rogers, Shaun

    DL - Rubin, Ahtyba

    DL - Smith, Robaire

    DL - Smith, Shaun

    DL - Thomas, Santonio

    DL - Williams, Corey

    LB - Bell, Beau

    LB - Brown, Titus

    LB - Davis, Andra - Signed with Denver, 3/2: LINK

    LB - Griffin, Kris - Free Agent (UFA)

    LB - Hall, Alex

    LB - Holloway, David

    LB - Jackson, D'Qwell

    LB - McGinest, Willie - Free Agent (UFA)

    LB - Orr, Shantee - Free Agent (UFA)

    LB - Peek, Antwaan - Released 2/9: LINK

    LB - Williams, Leon

    LB - Wimbley, Kamerion

    DB - Abdullah, Hamza

    DB - Adams, Mike - Free Agent (UFA)

    DB - Cargile, Steve - Free Agent (UFA)

    DB - Cousin, Terry - Released 2/9: LINK

    DB - Daniels, Travis - Free Agent (UFA)

    DB - Holly, Daven - Free Agent (UFA)

    DB - Jones, Sean - Free Agent (UFA)

    DB - Lawson, Gerard

    DB - McDonald, Brandon

    DB - Pool, Brodney

    DB - Sorensen, Nick

    DB - Wright, Eric

    LS - Pontbriand, Ryan

    P - Zastudil, Dave

    P - Dragosavich, Mike - Released 2/9: LINK

    K - Dawson, Phil

    K - Reda, Jason - Released 2/9: LINK

    Steve Cargile signed with the Giants..

    http://www.giants.com/team/player465.html

    @titleist585 said:

    Steve Cargile signed with the Giants..

    http://www.giants.com/team/player465.html

    Am i the only one who is starting to wonder what butch davis, i mean mangini is doing, he has signed all of the jets FAs it seems, and the last time i checked they didn't do so well

    last year.

  • They were doing just fine until Favor decided to pull his best DA impersonation down the stretch.

  • Cleveland Browns lose Jason Wright to Cardinals

    by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

    Monday March 16, 2009, 12:08 PM

    CLEVELAND -- Browns running back and special teams core player Jason Wright has agreed to a two-year contract with the Arizona Cardinals for about $2 million.

    Wright will replace J.J. Arrington, who signed with Denver, as the Cardinals' third-down back. The Arizona coaches believe Wright will be an upgrade in pass protection and on special teams.

    "It's just a great opportunity for Jason to go to a team that went to the Super Bowl last year," agent Mike McCartney said. "We feel Arizona is a good fit for him."

    The Browns did make an offer to retain Wright, McCartney said.

    Wright's rushing totals were down last year (23 carries, 85 yards) as the Browns gave more opportunities to Jerome Harrison and Josh Cribbs. But the blitz-pickup specialist still participated in more than 30 percent of the offensive snaps in 2008.

    Wright also had 22 catches and was a regular on most of the special teams.

    "Jason leaves with tremendous feelings about the Browns," McCartney said.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...e_jason_wr.html

  • Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to see Wright go. I liked his smarts, leadership, work ethic. . . and he was great a picking up blitzers.

  • I wish I could say thanks again. I use this contiually

  • I wish I could say thanks again. I use this contiually

    @skinny said:

    I wish I could say thanks again. I use this contiually

    Thank you, I'm just excited to make a contribution for once!

  • I don't see a problem adding a veteran for depth. He won't start, but adding veteran depth is a fine plan.

    @fooleeze said:

    I don't see a problem adding a veteran for depth. He won't start, but adding veteran depth is a fine plan.

    If Poteat hits the field we are screwed, I don't mind adding depth as long as they can contribute, he can't. Give me half his contract and I promise to suck just as bad.

  • Aloysius said:

    Brad Cieslak cut

    Uh, why?

    Can Alo or someone explain to me how the hell it makes sense to cut a guy like Sleestak at one of our thinnest spots? Especially since the guy looked damn good in camp last year.

    I realize he may be more of a receiver type but still, come on.......

  • Aloysius said:

    Brad Cieslak cut

    Uh, why?

    Can Alo or someone explain to me how the hell it makes sense to cut a guy like Sleestak at one of our thinnest spots? Especially since the guy looked damn good in camp last year.

    I realize he may be more of a receiver type but still, come on.......

    @riffer-x said:

    Uh, why?

    Can Alo or someone explain to me how the hell it makes sense to cut a guy like Sleestak at one of our thinnest spots? Especially since the guy looked damn good in camp last year.

    I realize he may be more of a receiver type but still, come on.......

    Well they did sign Royal (who replaces Dinkins), have Heiden coming back (theoritcally replaces Winslow in the lineup), and Rucker. It isn't really that thin. On paper, it is about the same as they were last season at TE, and that wasn't really a problem position for CLE.

  • The Browns have been scouting late round/UDFA tight ends. The new regime probably wants to groom their own guy.

    They've shown a lot of interest in NC State TE Anthony Hill, a guy I like: 6'5", 262 lbs., with soft hands. He has some durability concerns, so he'll go lower than he should (nfldraftscout says late 5th/early 6th round).

    Could be a nice long-term replacement for Heiden.

  • The Browns have been scouting late round/UDFA tight ends. The new regime probably wants to groom their own guy.

    They've shown a lot of interest in NC State TE Anthony Hill, a guy I like: 6'5", 262 lbs., with soft hands. He has some durability concerns, so he'll go lower than he should (nfldraftscout says late 5th/early 6th round).

    Could be a nice long-term replacement for Heiden.

    Aloysius said:

    The Browns have been scouting late round/UDFA tight ends. The new regime probably wants to groom their own guy.

    They've shown a lot of interest in NC State TE Anthony Hill, a guy I like: 6'5", 262 lbs., with soft hands. He has some durability concerns, so he'll go lower than he should (nfldraftscout says late 5th/early 6th round).

    Could be a nice long-term replacement for Heiden.

    Looks like the Browns signed two players under the radar...Marcus Thomas and Aaron Walker

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player.php?id=3773

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player.php?id=3772

  • @riffer-x said:

    Uh, why?

    Can Alo or someone explain to me how the hell it makes sense to cut a guy like Sleestak at one of our thinnest spots? Especially since the guy looked damn good in camp last year.

    I realize he may be more of a receiver type but still, come on.......

    Well they did sign Royal (who replaces Dinkins), have Heiden coming back (theoritcally replaces Winslow in the lineup), and Rucker. It isn't really that thin. On paper, it is about the same as they were last season at TE, and that wasn't really a problem position for CLE.

    Masters said:

    Well they did sign Royal (who replaces Dinkins), have Heiden coming back (theoritcally replaces Winslow in the lineup), and Rucker. It isn't really that thin. On paper, it is about the same as they were last season at TE, and that wasn't really a problem position for CLE.

    Come on Mik I don't see how you can say TE is not a problem position. First off, Heiden blew his MCL and ACL and is going to be 33 by the start of the year. Rucker is a totally unproven commodity (thanks again RAC 'n ROLLS) that we don't even know if Mancock likes, especially given that he's a receiver first type. Alo broke down the Royal signing for me very well so I can get with that, but to think this position is even close to being deep is off base.

    Here's what I think we can surmise: They traded Winslow, a notorious receiver only threat who couldn't block in tight and severely limited our running game. Smart move there and tells us (especially with the Royal signing) what kind of TE they like, which is more the Chris Baker than Witten type. Now they're bringing in bigger, more physical types to compete in camp, so it's safe to say Sleestak just doesn't fit their prototype at TE more than it intimates them being satisfied with the depth there.

    I also don't feel the need to draft another TE this year with all our defensive needs, that's just plain stupid since we're short on picks in the late round thanks to Phillip and his Glue Hands Hubbard crush.

    I'm with Alo I think. Seems to me good scouting can find you what you want here without using a draft pick.

  • Thanks for the updates, I've made the changes. Something tells me this Aaron Walker and Marcus Thomas signings will be training camp casualties. . . but maybe we'll be surprised.

  • Aloysius said:

    Brad Cieslak cut

    Uh, why?

    Can Alo or someone explain to me how the hell it makes sense to cut a guy like Sleestak at one of our thinnest spots? Especially since the guy looked damn good in camp last year.

    I realize he may be more of a receiver type but still, come on.......

    @riffer-x said:

    Uh, why?

    Can Alo or someone explain to me how the hell it makes sense to cut a guy like Sleestak at one of our thinnest spots? Especially since the guy looked damn good in camp last year.

    I realize he may be more of a receiver type but still, come on.......

    Odd too because philly.com says he will be the Eagles starting TE..

    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle..._tight_end.html

  • @riffer-x said:

    Uh, why?

    Can Alo or someone explain to me how the hell it makes sense to cut a guy like Sleestak at one of our thinnest spots? Especially since the guy looked damn good in camp last year.

    I realize he may be more of a receiver type but still, come on.......

    Odd too because philly.com says he will be the Eagles starting TE..

    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle..._tight_end.html

    @titleist585 said:

    Odd too because philly.com says he will be the Eagles starting TE..

    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle..._tight_end.html

    I dont think Cieslak and Celek are the same guy....

  • @titleist585 said:

    Odd too because philly.com says he will be the Eagles starting TE..

    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagle..._tight_end.html

    I dont think Cieslak and Celek are the same guy....

    AdaM said:

    I dont think Cieslak and Celek are the same guy....

    That's a big oops on my part...sorry guys...