Skip to content

laurinaitis coming in

The Browns Board
86 18 4.6k
  • oldcow1945 said:

    Ok....Let's take a look at the speed positions when it comes to the conferences and NFL talent. I went back further. I took the last 7 drafts. Rounds 1 thru 4

    Wide receivers taken

    SEC 20

    Big Ten 18

    I looked them up, and I got 21 SEC receivers and 18 Big Ten guys. Of those, nfldraftscout had 12 Combine times for SEC guys and 9 for Big Ten guys. And if you calculate the average 40 times, you get the following:

    • Average time:
      • SEC: 4.425
      • Ten: 4.474
    I doubt it's statistically significant, but it may lend some credence to the claim that SEC players are faster. At the very least, it negates your point about the numbers of receivers taken from each conference being similar.

    Aloysius said:

    I looked them up, and I got 21 SEC receivers and 18 Big Ten guys. Of those, nfldraftscout had 12 Combine times for SEC guys and 9 for Big Ten guys. And if you calculate the average 40 times, you get the following:
    • Average time:
      • SEC: 4.425
      • Ten: 4.474
    I doubt it's statistically significant, but it may lend some credence to the claim that SEC players are faster. At the very least, it negates your point about the numbers of receivers taken from each conference being similar.

    That is five one hundreds faster! Five one hundreds of one second!!! Talk about insignificant! That is literally a photo finish!!! It proves just the opposite Aloy. If you think five one hundreds lends credence to there not being any similarity then this discussion is not worth it's while.

    I'm ROTFL here!

  • @dtbh said:

    OSU fag.

    This name calling makes you come across as a real jerk. I suspect the perception is true.

    oldcow1945 said:

    This name calling makes you come across as a real jerk. I suspect the perception is true.

    Consider the source. Some people can't debate intelligently without name calling. There's one opinion and that's theirs. NO one else is entitled to one.

  • Aloysius said:

    I looked them up, and I got 21 SEC receivers and 18 Big Ten guys. Of those, nfldraftscout had 12 Combine times for SEC guys and 9 for Big Ten guys. And if you calculate the average 40 times, you get the following:
    • Average time:
      • SEC: 4.425
      • Big Ten: 4.474
    I doubt it's statistically significant, but it may lend some credence to the claim that SEC players are faster. At the very least, it negates your point about the numbers of receivers taken from each conference being similar.

    But, weren't we talking LBs and not WR. How about LBs from the Big Ten vs LBs from the SEC. Stats really don't impact this year but the preception that the Big Ten is a weak and inferior conference by some here is crazy knowing the amount of players that go to the NFL every year. DBTH makes the Big Ten sound like the WAC and he was talking about LBs not speed guys.

    Basically he was trying to downgrade Launaritias because of playing in an inferior conference. Absolutely absurd.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Basically he was trying to downgrade Launaritias because of playing in an inferior conference. Absolutely absurd.

    Now he says he meant that only the non conference games were inferior. Not the games in the Big Ten.

    Even though he said JL played "a lot games against inferior competition" and "In a notoriously slow conference"

    I guess "A lot" means 3 of their 12 games. And five one hundreds of a second is "notoriously slow"

  • this isn't dungeons and dragons, big ten and sec both recruit from all around the country. they don't magically get a speed boost from being in the SEC. the speed issue is pretty much mostly BS made up by the media

  • oldcow1945 said:

    This name calling makes you come across as a real jerk. I suspect the perception is true.

    Consider the source. Some people can't debate intelligently without name calling. There's one opinion and that's theirs. NO one else is entitled to one.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Consider the source. Some people can't debate intelligently without name calling. There's one opinion and that's theirs. NO one else is entitled to one.

    Name callers always show their true colors. They're generally the most bitter posters, and rarely do they have anything good to say about anything.

    Overall unhappy people who can't coexist on a message board. Normal people don't call people names to their face very often over a football discussion.

  • Good gosh....any difference in the conferences isn't in speed or power...they all attract quality players....it's in the depth of the individual teams and the entire conference.

    Bottom line is more kids want to play in places where the weather isn't crap 6 of the 9 months they are in school, thus SEC schools tend to get more of the blue chippers v. Big 10 schools.

    It's more likely a kid from Ohio or Minnesota is going to head to Florida or South Carolina v. the other kids heading up north.

    That is why when you compare the conferences, you really need to look at the bottom tier schools in each...and that is where the big difference occurs, and what in the end most of the time makes the top teams slightly better...they play better, deeper teams week after week.

  • Good gosh....any difference in the conferences isn't in speed or power...they all attract quality players....it's in the depth of the individual teams and the entire conference.

    Bottom line is more kids want to play in places where the weather isn't crap 6 of the 9 months they are in school, thus SEC schools tend to get more of the blue chippers v. Big 10 schools.

    It's more likely a kid from Ohio or Minnesota is going to head to Florida or South Carolina v. the other kids heading up north.

    That is why when you compare the conferences, you really need to look at the bottom tier schools in each...and that is where the big difference occurs, and what in the end most of the time makes the top teams slightly better...they play better, deeper teams week after week.

    @ballpeen said:

    Good gosh....any difference in the conferences isn't in speed or power...they all attract quality players....it's in the depth of the individual teams and the entire conference.

    Bottom line is more kids want to play in places where the weather isn't crap 6 of the 9 months they are in school, thus SEC schools tend to get more of the blue chippers v. Big 10 schools.

    I wouldn't disagree with that. But I'd also add that there are just a lot of good football players now in the south and they simply stay home. Of the 97 players on the Florida Gator roster only three are from Northern states. Two from NJ and one from CT.

    One the other hand OSU has 15 southern players on their roster, 7 of them from Florida. (With another one this year in Jamaal Berry. The state of Florida's #1 Running back)

    The states which have the most high quailty football players according to recruiting numbers are as follows.

    Florida

    Texas

    California

    Georgia

    Ohio

  • @ballpeen said:

    Good gosh....any difference in the conferences isn't in speed or power...they all attract quality players....it's in the depth of the individual teams and the entire conference.

    Bottom line is more kids want to play in places where the weather isn't crap 6 of the 9 months they are in school, thus SEC schools tend to get more of the blue chippers v. Big 10 schools.

    I wouldn't disagree with that. But I'd also add that there are just a lot of good football players now in the south and they simply stay home. Of the 97 players on the Florida Gator roster only three are from Northern states. Two from NJ and one from CT.

    One the other hand OSU has 15 southern players on their roster, 7 of them from Florida. (With another one this year in Jamaal Berry. The state of Florida's #1 Running back)

    The states which have the most high quailty football players according to recruiting numbers are as follows.

    Florida

    Texas

    California

    Georgia

    Ohio

    oldcow1945 said:

    I wouldn't disagree with that. But I'd also add that there are just a lot of good football players now in the south and they simply stay home. Of the 97 players on the Florida Gator roster only three are from Northern states. Two from NJ and one from CT.

    One the other hand OSU has 15 southern players on their roster, 7 of them from Florida. (With another one this year in Jamaal Berry. The state of Florida's #1 Running back)

    The states which have the most high quailty football players according to recruiting numbers are as follows.

    Florida

    Texas

    California

    Georgia

    Ohio

    I think the SEC swing has went the way it has simply because we are losing population up north. Pluto keeps harping on this and I can't disagree with him. More and more people are leaving the midwest, so not only are they leaving here they are moving to the south and giving them more of an influx of talent.

    I still say it's cyclical and there is no doubt that the Big Ten is down right now, but they still can put out as good a players as anybody else, that will never be in question.

    The scheduling thing is a joke. SEC teams play totally weak teams non conference. OSU is keeping lots of games in state to help fellow state schools.

    I also believe the Big 12 has benefited from population movement.

  • Aloysius said:

    I looked them up, and I got 21 SEC receivers and 18 Big Ten guys. Of those, nfldraftscout had 12 Combine times for SEC guys and 9 for Big Ten guys. And if you calculate the average 40 times, you get the following:
    • Average time:
      • SEC: 4.425
      • Big Ten: 4.474
    I doubt it's statistically significant, but it may lend some credence to the claim that SEC players are faster. At the very least, it negates your point about the numbers of receivers taken from each conference being similar.

    But, weren't we talking LBs and not WR. How about LBs from the Big Ten vs LBs from the SEC. Stats really don't impact this year but the preception that the Big Ten is a weak and inferior conference by some here is crazy knowing the amount of players that go to the NFL every year. DBTH makes the Big Ten sound like the WAC and he was talking about LBs not speed guys.

    Basically he was trying to downgrade Launaritias because of playing in an inferior conference. Absolutely absurd.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    But, weren't we talking LBs and not WR. How about LBs from the Big Ten vs LBs from the SEC.

    Ask, and you shall receive:

    • Average 40 times:
      • SEC: 4.68
      • Ten: 4.71
    Note: I included all LB's who were drafted, not just ones picked in the top four rounds.
  • Aloysius said:

    I looked them up, and I got 21 SEC receivers and 18 Big Ten guys. Of those, nfldraftscout had 12 Combine times for SEC guys and 9 for Big Ten guys. And if you calculate the average 40 times, you get the following:
    • Average time:
      • SEC: 4.425
      • Ten: 4.474
    I doubt it's statistically significant, but it may lend some credence to the claim that SEC players are faster. At the very least, it negates your point about the numbers of receivers taken from each conference being similar.

    That is five one hundreds faster! Five one hundreds of one second!!! Talk about insignificant! That is literally a photo finish!!! It proves just the opposite Aloy. If you think five one hundreds lends credence to there not being any similarity then this discussion is not worth it's while.

    I'm ROTFL here!

    oldcow1945 said:

    That is five one hundreds faster! Five one hundreds of one second!!! Talk about insignificant! That is literally a photo finish!!! It proves just the opposite Aloy. If you think five one hundreds lends credence to there not being any similarity then this discussion is not worth it's while.

    I'm ROTFL here!

    Yeah, it's truly hilarious 🙄

    Not sure that a .05 second difference is completely insignificant, but I'll put that aside for now. What you didn't see from looking at those numbers is that there were a lot more 4.3 guys among the SEC crew. While only 33% of the Big Ten guys registered times below 4.4, a full 50% of the SEC guys timed in the 4.3's. Because of the ridiculously small sample size, it's hard to tell whether that's indicative of anything, but it at least suggests that elite speed is more common in the SEC.

  • @sez.ej said:

    Gotta agree that that is an odd statement that L is not a heavy hitter.. He would be a second round steal.. If if that statement is true.. even if his pro day may not have been great (I did not see it).. I have seen the guy play.. he has speed, and instincts, he can tackle and flat out makles plays.. just watch the game film..he is a good player..

    I don't think he is the next LT or Seau and maybe not a perennial pro bowler.. but I believe he will be a solid..SOLID NFL starter.. If we can get that in round 2.. that's fine by me.. He is definately not a #5 pick..but in the second round...... ABSOLUTELY (insert sylvester stallone accent here)

    Maybe not the next LT or Seau but very well could be the next Brian Urlacker. Seems that's who most scouts compare him to.

    Bad 40...........................WTF he was better then Maualuga. A 4.7 40 for a ILB isn't bad, so what about his pro day was bad.............Everything I read said he did very well. And his 3 years as an All American and multiple individual defensive awards, including defensive player of the year and best LB speak for themselves.

    Tired of hearing people dissing this guy when he has proven to be a hell of a football player, with good character, never complains and suits up every week to play. BTW, he leaves it on the field every week. He gives the 100% and never asks for anything because he loves the game.

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Maybe not the next LT or Seau but very well could be the next Brian Urlacker. Seems that's who most scouts compare him to.

    To be honest, I haven't heard that comparison used in a long time. nfldraftscout compares him to Rob Morris (which I think is a little too uncharitable).

    Urlacher possesses a rare combination of size and athleticism: he can cover the deep zone like a Tampa 2 ILB must do, but he's also big & strong enough to stuff the run. I like Laurinaitis, but I don't think he possesses those same traits.

  • oldcow1945 said:

    That is five one hundreds faster! Five one hundreds of one second!!! Talk about insignificant! That is literally a photo finish!!! It proves just the opposite Aloy. If you think five one hundreds lends credence to there not being any similarity then this discussion is not worth it's while.

    I'm ROTFL here!

    Yeah, it's truly hilarious 🙄

    Not sure that a .05 second difference is completely insignificant, but I'll put that aside for now. What you didn't see from looking at those numbers is that there were a lot more 4.3 guys among the SEC crew. While only 33% of the Big Ten guys registered times below 4.4, a full 50% of the SEC guys timed in the 4.3's. Because of the ridiculously small sample size, it's hard to tell whether that's indicative of anything, but it at least suggests that elite speed is more common in the SEC.

    Aloysius said:

    Yeah, it's truly hilarious 🙄

    Not sure that a .05 second difference is completely insignificant, but I'll put that aside for now. What you didn't see from looking at those numbers is that there were a lot more 4.3 guys among the SEC crew. While only 33% of the Big Ten guys registered times below 4.4, a full 50% of the SEC guys timed in the 4.3's. Because of the ridiculously small sample size, it's hard to tell whether that's indicative of anything, but it at least suggests that elite speed is more common in the SEC.

    How did you get 50% of 21?

  • nfldraftscout only had Combine 40 times for 14 of them.

  • oldcow1945 said:

    That is five one hundreds faster! Five one hundreds of one second!!! Talk about insignificant! That is literally a photo finish!!! It proves just the opposite Aloy. If you think five one hundreds lends credence to there not being any similarity then this discussion is not worth it's while.

    I'm ROTFL here!

    Yeah, it's truly hilarious 🙄

    Not sure that a .05 second difference is completely insignificant, but I'll put that aside for now. What you didn't see from looking at those numbers is that there were a lot more 4.3 guys among the SEC crew. While only 33% of the Big Ten guys registered times below 4.4, a full 50% of the SEC guys timed in the 4.3's. Because of the ridiculously small sample size, it's hard to tell whether that's indicative of anything, but it at least suggests that elite speed is more common in the SEC.

    Aloysius said:

    Yeah, it's truly hilarious 🙄

    Not sure that a .05 second difference is completely insignificant, but I'll put that aside for now. What you didn't see from looking at those numbers is that there were a lot more 4.3 guys among the SEC crew. While only 33% of the Big Ten guys registered times below 4.4, a full 50% of the SEC guys timed in the 4.3's. Because of the ridiculously small sample size, it's hard to tell whether that's indicative of anything, but it at least suggests that elite speed is more common in the SEC.

    Where are you getting these past results?

  • You guys are killing me.... arguing about such insignificant facts like the .03 sec difference in SEC and Big Ten running times.... 🙄 Thats like.... what, six tenths of a percent? By all scientific standards, any difference that small is absolutely rubbish.

    Over-analyzation here is running rampant. Also, I thought we were talking about James Laurinaitis.

    Speaking of which, JL is a fantastic player with a great head on his shoulders, but with our draft slots, it will be hard to take him: 5th place is too early for us and we have other issues to tend to, and honestly I think he will be gone by the time our next pick comes around.

  • nfldraftscout only had Combine 40 times for 14 of them.

    Aloysius said:

    nfldraftscout only had Combine 40 times for 14 of them.

    14 from the SEC? How many from the Big Ten?

  • Aloysius said:

    Look here

    So your research was on 7 players vs. 4 players

    And you said this lends credence to there being a difference?

  • You guys are killing me.... arguing about such insignificant facts like the .03 sec difference in SEC and Big Ten running times.... 🙄 Thats like.... what, six tenths of a percent? By all scientific standards, any difference that small is absolutely rubbish.

    Over-analyzation here is running rampant. Also, I thought we were talking about James Laurinaitis.

    Speaking of which, JL is a fantastic player with a great head on his shoulders, but with our draft slots, it will be hard to take him: 5th place is too early for us and we have other issues to tend to, and honestly I think he will be gone by the time our next pick comes around.

    @deadwombat said:

    You guys are killing me.... arguing about such insignificant facts like the .03 sec difference in SEC and Big Ten running times.... 🙄 Thats like.... what, six tenths of a percent? By all scientific standards, any difference that small is absolutely rubbish.

    Over-analyzation here is running rampant. Also, I thought we were talking about James Laurinaitis.

    This has been my point. That the speed difference is insignificant at least and ridiculous at most.

    But Aloy said that five hundreds of a second lends credence to there being a difference. 🙄

  • You wanted guys taken in the top four rounds in the last seven years, which restricted the sample size. Anyway, here is what I compiled. Feel free to draw your own conclusions from it.

    Corners taken

    SEC: 18

    Big Ten: 18 --> 4.4442

    '08

    Justin King: 4.31

    Tracy Porter: 4.37

    Charles Godfrey: 4.43

    Jack Ikegwuono

    '07

    Leon Hall: 4.39

    '06

    Ashton Youboty

    Alan Zemaitis

    '05

    Marlin Jackson: 4.52

    Kelvin Hayden: 4.45

    Scott Starks: 4.37

    Dustin Fox: 4.43

    '04

    Chris Gamble

    Jeremy LeSueur: 4.53

    Rich Gardner: 4.46

    '03

    Eugene Wilson: 4.48

    Bryan Scott

    '02

    Derek Ross: 4.59

    Mike Echols

    SEC: 4.4078 (out of 14)

    '08

    Patrick Lee: 4.41

    Chevis Jackson: 4.52

    Jonathan Wilhite: 4.38

    '07

    Chris Houston: 4.32

    Jonathan Wade: 4.36

    Fred Bennett: 4.46

    '06

    Jonathan Joseph: 4.31

    Tim Jennings: 4.32

    '05

    Carlos Rogers: 4.44

    Corey Webster

    Travis Daniels: 4.54

    '04

    Dunta Robinson: 4.34

    Ahmad Carroll: 4.34

    Keiwan Ratliff

    Bruce Thornton: 4.50

    '03

    '02

    Lito Sheppard

    Sheldon Brown: 4.47

    Andre Goodman