Skip to content

Good article about figuring the draft prospects love for the game

The Browns Board
38 10 825
  • @texasag1969 said:

    But you would not take D G-B? A bit of a paradox there methinks.

    Just too close to home with JG and the fact that, at that part of the draft, there are too many other players Id rather have....

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @mudfly said:

    Just too close to home with JG and the fact that, at that part of the draft, there are too many other players Id rather have....

    Plus just because you say "more than character" does not mean character is completely ignored.

    @calfoxwc said:

    lol. It's a balance of all things. Mariotta plays like he has fire, but his temperament says otherwise.

    Winston is amazing- and very, very smart. Smart enough to grow up and make a franchise proud ?

    We'll have to wait and see.

    Back to football for me as well...

    Balance? Absolutely... we are bound to give different weight to different factors in the abstract. And on top of that we are going to see different things in individual cases.

    In Winston I see overwhelming talent and leader qualities. Certainly enough to overcome any character reluctance I might have.

    In MM I have not seen the fire on the field... nor have I seen joy. And that troubles me. Combined with his off-field persona (as most recently exhibited in Gruden School), I see a kid who is still not comfortable in his skin. Were I scouting him (and I just thought of this), then I'd spend time with his family. I'd want to be sure he has been playing purely because it was what he has wanted to do, and not because it was expected of him by Dad, peers, whomever...

  • @mudfly said:

    Just too close to home with JG and the fact that, at that part of the draft, there are too many other players Id rather have....

    Plus just because you say "more than character" does not mean character is completely ignored.

    @calfoxwc said:

    lol. It's a balance of all things. Mariotta plays like he has fire, but his temperament says otherwise.

    Winston is amazing- and very, very smart. Smart enough to grow up and make a franchise proud ?

    We'll have to wait and see.

    Back to football for me as well...

    Balance? Absolutely... we are bound to give different weight to different factors in the abstract. And on top of that we are going to see different things in individual cases.

    In Winston I see overwhelming talent and leader qualities. Certainly enough to overcome any character reluctance I might have.

    In MM I have not seen the fire on the field... nor have I seen joy. And that troubles me. Combined with his off-field persona (as most recently exhibited in Gruden School), I see a kid who is still not comfortable in his skin. Were I scouting him (and I just thought of this), then I'd spend time with his family. I'd want to be sure he has been playing purely because it was what he has wanted to do, and not because it was expected of him by Dad, peers, whomever...

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @tour2ma said:

    .

    In Winston I see overwhelming talent and leader qualities. Certainly enough to overcome any character reluctance I might have.

    In MM I have not seen the fire on the field... nor have I seen joy. And that troubles me. (as most recently exhibited in Gruden School)

    Im with you 100%....

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Are we thinking MM is the second coming of Jay Cutler?

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #32

    people see different things. to one person a mild mannered kid might come off as being passive or having no fire. to others he might come off as the perfect face for a franchise.

    some people see a fiery talented leader. to others they might see a scumbag who screams out profanities in a public setting in school towards women with women present, which would have gotten most of us back in the day beaten to with in an inch of their lives from their mother or father.

    no thanks.

  • Browns1216B Browns1216 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Mariota seems like a Joe Flacco type; doesn't lead with fire but doesn't get rattled easily, either. i would be shocked if either Mariota or Winston somehow landed on the Browns. Hopefully JFF can get his head in the game and prove that he can "wreck this league". If he can't, there's always Thad "the Champ" Lewis.

  • people see different things. to one person a mild mannered kid might come off as being passive or having no fire. to others he might come off as the perfect face for a franchise.

    some people see a fiery talented leader. to others they might see a scumbag who screams out profanities in a public setting in school towards women with women present, which would have gotten most of us back in the day beaten to with in an inch of their lives from their mother or father.

    no thanks.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @miktoxic said:

    people see different things. to one person a mild mannered kid might come off as being passive or having no fire. to others he might come off as the perfect face for a franchise.

    some people see a fiery talented leader. to others they might see a scumbag who screams out profanities in a public setting in school towards women with women present, which would have gotten most of us back in the day beaten to with in an inch of their lives from their mother or father.

    no thanks.

    You're clearly speaking in generalities here and not referencing any two players specifically.

  • @miktoxic said:

    people see different things. to one person a mild mannered kid might come off as being passive or having no fire. to others he might come off as the perfect face for a franchise.

    some people see a fiery talented leader. to others they might see a scumbag who screams out profanities in a public setting in school towards women with women present, which would have gotten most of us back in the day beaten to with in an inch of their lives from their mother or father.

    no thanks.

    You're clearly speaking in generalities here and not referencing any two players specifically.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You're clearly speaking in generalities here and not referencing any two players specifically.

    tebow and manziel.

    wink.

  • Are we thinking MM is the second coming of Jay Cutler?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @gftchris said:

    Are we thinking MM is the second coming of Jay Cutler?

    No. Mariota is not the whiny little bitch that Cutler is.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #37

    Was going to say pretty much the same... Cutler is just weird.

    Also... mik's irony detection meter is in need of adjustment...

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You're clearly speaking in generalities here and not referencing any two players specifically.

    tebow and manziel.

    wink.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @miktoxic said:

    tebow and manziel.

    wink.

    Eh, that's decently close. I'd say Tebow has the fire, though.