Skip to content

Justin Gilbert thoughts.....

The Browns Board
111 25 4.3k
  • Gilbert working out with Haden will be beneficial for more than just the obvious reasons. Justin will see how filthy fucking rich Haden is and say "yeah, I want that"

    @roycerolls said:

    Gilbert working out with Haden will be beneficial for more than just the obvious reasons. Justin will see how filthy fucking rich Haden is and say "yeah, I want that"

    You know you would think that everybody would be in that position to be honestl. But there are so many dumb asses like Josh Gordon!!

  • @frenchie said:

    Mudfly, I agree with your analysis. I've already predicted on this board that Justin will be the most improved player on the Browns next year. And while the "not-to-be-coached" ego thing is probably true, I also didn't like the way the coach handled Justine. Put him in the games and let him sink/swim and learn. The headlines in the paper the next day are the way you motivate a JG to improve his skills and learn the craft. There was no need to starts Desir and others over Gilbert towards the end of the season. The Pick-6 was a turning point and should have garnered Justin much more playing time.

    Interesting idea, but what if he is costing you games? I mean if we are terrible, say working on a 4-12 season, I can see the sink/swim approach. What if like last year at one point we are 7-3? If he is risking you games do you still leave him in? Hmm tough call i think honestly.

    cbbacker said:

    Interesting idea, but what if he is costing you games? I mean if we are terrible, say working on a 4-12 season, I can see the sink/swim approach. What if like last year at one point we are 7-3? If he is risking you games do you still leave him in? Hmm tough call i think honestly.

    What about when all the other CB's were costing us games, like Skrine, Haden, Petterson ... ? It's a position where you learn by trial and fire. and the fear of failure. A coach can't manage all players the same because different things motivate different people. If he wasn't practicing well, I expect Hayden, Dansby, etc. to call him out. But the coach needs to find what motivates Gilbert and use it to get him on the playing field - he was our number 1 draft choice and a consensus great cover corner.

  • @frenchie said:

    Mudfly, I agree with your analysis. I've already predicted on this board that Justin will be the most improved player on the Browns next year. And while the "not-to-be-coached" ego thing is probably true, I also didn't like the way the coach handled Justine. Put him in the games and let him sink/swim and learn. The headlines in the paper the next day are the way you motivate a JG to improve his skills and learn the craft. There was no need to starts Desir and others over Gilbert towards the end of the season. The Pick-6 was a turning point and should have garnered Justin much more playing time.

    I agree I would have liked to see him play more and feel...(based upon GAME play only)...he deserved more snaps and shoulda been out there....

    I think well be seeing more of those pick 6 plays in the near future.....dude can flat out fly!!!!

    I also like Pettines "no favorites" mentality and stand firm with him teaching a lil maturity to the young pups...

    @tour2ma said:

    You do know that Pet is all about earning playing time with the way you practice during the week... right? It was in all the papers to which you refer.

    practice?......PRACTICE???......we talking bout PRACTICE??.....hahaha.....

    Im with ya Tour.....Pettines the man and proves it each week.....and no doubt, he made it pretty clear why these guys weren't playing...

    In the end....with both with West and Gilbert......Pettine had some help making those tough choices, cause it's much easier sitting talented guys for disciplinary reasons, when there is good talent behind them.......

    @mudfly said:

    I also like Pettines "no favorites" mentality and stand firm with him teaching a lil maturity to the young pups...

    ...

    Me too. But why wasn't Manziel and Gilbert fined or suspended for their behavior? Is it really "no favorites"? I wonder if the other players think that it is.
  • cbbacker said:

    Interesting idea, but what if he is costing you games? I mean if we are terrible, say working on a 4-12 season, I can see the sink/swim approach. What if like last year at one point we are 7-3? If he is risking you games do you still leave him in? Hmm tough call i think honestly.

    What about when all the other CB's were costing us games, like Skrine, Haden, Petterson ... ? It's a position where you learn by trial and fire. and the fear of failure. A coach can't manage all players the same because different things motivate different people. If he wasn't practicing well, I expect Hayden, Dansby, etc. to call him out. But the coach needs to find what motivates Gilbert and use it to get him on the playing field - he was our number 1 draft choice and a consensus great cover corner.

    @frenchie said:

    What about when all the other CB's were costing us games, like Skrine, Haden, Petterson ... ? It's a position where you learn by trial and fire. and the fear of failure. A coach can't manage all players the same because different things motivate different people. If he wasn't practicing well, I expect Hayden, Dansby, etc. to call him out. But the coach needs to find what motivates Gilbert and use it to get him on the playing field - he was our number 1 draft choice and a consensus great cover corner.

    Actually there were knocks on him as with all prospects coming out of the draft. But the difference between Skrine Haden, and Patterson is that we were never close to 7 wins, much less 7-3. Trial by fire can work, but it can also be very detrimental. Destroying a guys confidence can be more harmful then an injury. I am sure Johnny would agree with that. I just don't think you risk it at a point when you are winning.

  • @frenchie said:

    What about when all the other CB's were costing us games, like Skrine, Haden, Petterson ... ? It's a position where you learn by trial and fire. and the fear of failure. A coach can't manage all players the same because different things motivate different people. If he wasn't practicing well, I expect Hayden, Dansby, etc. to call him out. But the coach needs to find what motivates Gilbert and use it to get him on the playing field - he was our number 1 draft choice and a consensus great cover corner.

    Actually there were knocks on him as with all prospects coming out of the draft. But the difference between Skrine Haden, and Patterson is that we were never close to 7 wins, much less 7-3. Trial by fire can work, but it can also be very detrimental. Destroying a guys confidence can be more harmful then an injury. I am sure Johnny would agree with that. I just don't think you risk it at a point when you are winning.

    cbbacker said:

    Actually there were knocks on him as with all prospects coming out of the draft. But the difference between Skrine Haden, and Patterson is that we were never close to 7 wins, much less 7-3. Trial by fire can work, but it can also be very detrimental. Destroying a guys confidence can be more harmful then an injury. I am sure Johnny would agree with that. I just don't think you risk it at a point when you are winning.

    But he wasn't getting reps even after the season was in the dumper. And when he made the pick-6 (a huge confidence booster) and he continued to play well (as Mudfly illustrated at the beginning of this thread), he should have been receiving most of the reps in prep for 2015.

    Moreover, there are four positions in football where you have to not let the last play eat you up, CB, QB, WR and K. It's going to happen (getting beaten for a TD, Interception, Dropped Pass, Missed Field Goal). If you can't shake it off, you can't be a professional at those positions because mistakes are big and costly, but the opportunity will present itself once again and you need to be mentally prepared to perform.

  • Well....early indicators are the our new DB's are showing up and looking to be improved, which is fantastic news......Im really excited to see Gilbert develop, cause I think he's gonna be, not good, but "great"......Kwaun and Gilbert are already flying around making plays(a VERY good sign to the positive).....and Tramon is looking like the guy we hoped he would be(not that there was much question on him to begin with).....

    Our pass defense is going to be bad ass......period.......(no matter WHO starts where).......

    """"1) DB Justin Gilberticon-article-link.gif is making plays

    Gilbert’s recovery speed and pure athleticism were on full display Tuesday. In an 11-on-11 drill that had the Browns offense in the red zone, the cornerback broke up consecutive passes on quarterback Johnny Manzielicon-article-link.gif, diving and batting the ball away at the last moment. After the second knockdown, his defensive teammates broke out in a chorus of cheers, loudly approving of his Tuesday practice session.

    “He’s comfortable,” cornerback Joe Hadenicon-article-link.gif said. “He’s making plays.”

    The changes from Gilbert have been all about paying attention to minor details – knowing where to be in zone coverage, taking more detailed notes in meetings and, plainly, more seasoning. It is worth noting that Gilbert had a shaky junior season at Oklahoma State before picking off six passes his senior year and proving to be one of college football’s preeminent cornerbacks.

    “I definitely see changes, but I think you said it – probably too early,” coach Mike Pettine said.
    “It’s just all about consistency. Just coming in here, perfecting his craft every day, and right now it’s so far so good.”

    As of now, Gilbert and fellow second-year defensive back Pierre Desiricon-article-link.gif have been locked in with the second unit as the outside cornerbacks. Gilbert’s repetitions with the first unit could see a bump if days like Tuesday keep happening.""""""""

  • Gotta get that cornerback confidence going in Gilbert that Haden has and all will be well.

  • If Desir is the #4 CB, does that mean K'Waun is now practicing with the safeties? if not.. he should be..

    Glad to hear Gilbert is finally acting like a professional

  • If Desir is the #4 CB, does that mean K'Waun is now practicing with the safeties? if not.. he should be..

    Glad to hear Gilbert is finally acting like a professional

    @unsympathetic said:

    If Desir is the #4 CB, does that mean K'Waun is now practicing with the safeties? if not.. he should be..

    Glad to hear Gilbert is finally acting like a professional

    #1 slot. Desir is #4 outside.

  • Does anybody remember Buster Skrine first season with Haden...Gilbert will be fine and prove his draft slot IMO...

    @gumby73 said:

    Does anybody remember Buster Skrine first season with Haden...Gilbert will be fine and prove his draft slot IMO...

    Great post here, what I was coming to say. Look, Gilbert had an attitude problem coming into the league, there's no doubt about it. But, in a similar vein to Manziel, he got humbled in a big way throughout the season. Going back to Skrine though, I'd make the bigger argument the CB is the hardest position outside of QB to transition to in today's NFL. I'm excited and hopeful Gilbert has worked hard to get better and becomes the player he can be. His athletic ability is through the roof, just gotta make it work between the ears.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    If Desir is the #4 CB, does that mean K'Waun is now practicing with the safeties? if not.. he should be..

    Glad to hear Gilbert is finally acting like a professional

    #1 slot. Desir is #4 outside.

    @gftchris said:

    #1 slot. Desir is #4 outside.

    yep...Kwaun = nickle back(slot)....

    RCB: Tramon Williams (Justin Gilbert)

    LCB: Joe Haden (Pierre Desir)

    SCB: Kwaun Williams (Tramon Williams)

  • @gftchris said:

    #1 slot. Desir is #4 outside.

    yep...Kwaun = nickle back(slot)....

    RCB: Tramon Williams (Justin Gilbert)

    LCB: Joe Haden (Pierre Desir)

    SCB: Kwaun Williams (Tramon Williams)

    @mudfly said:

    yep...Kwaun = nickle back(slot)....

    RCB: Tramon Williams (Justin Gilbert)

    LCB: Joe Haden (Pierre Desir)

    SCB: Kwaun Williams (Tramon Williams)

    You can probably count on one hand the number of snaps we'll play with only two CBs per game. Last year we were playing with as many as 6 or 7 at times.

  • Yep.....they L-O-V-E nickle & dime D's........live and die by it really.....

  • If Gilbert plays like a 1st round draft pick this year, (let alone a top 10 pick) our defense should be able to get the heck off the field on 3rd down pretty consistently.

  • If Gilbert plays like a 1st round draft pick this year, (let alone a top 10 pick) our defense should be able to get the heck off the field on 3rd down pretty consistently.

    @d-bone said:

    If Gilbert plays like a 1st round draft pick this year, (let alone a top 10 pick) our defense should be able to get the heck off the field on 3rd down pretty consistently.

    STOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUN

  • If Gilbert plays like a 1st round draft pick this year, (let alone a top 10 pick) our defense should be able to get the heck off the field on 3rd down pretty consistently.

    @d-bone said:

    If Gilbert plays like a 1st round draft pick this year, (let alone a top 10 pick) our defense should be able to get the heck off the field on 3rd down pretty consistently.

    Yes!

    and, I think, we'll even get off the field on 1st and 2nd down more frequently too.....#morepickoffs

    @gftchris said:

    STOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUN

    ??.....what are you trying to say?.....😉

  • @d-bone said:

    If Gilbert plays like a 1st round draft pick this year, (let alone a top 10 pick) our defense should be able to get the heck off the field on 3rd down pretty consistently.

    Yes!

    and, I think, we'll even get off the field on 1st and 2nd down more frequently too.....#morepickoffs

    @gftchris said:

    STOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUNSTOPTHERUN

    ??.....what are you trying to say?.....😉

    @mudfly said:

    Yes!

    and, I think, we'll even get off the field on 1st and 2nd down more frequently too.....#morepickoffs

    ??.....what are you trying to say?..... 😉

    That our DBs weren't the reason we didn't get off on third down last year...

  • Stopping the run is an obvious fix that is priority #1 and between the players added and the coaches seeing what the main issues were, and promising to correct them, I feel good about them being at least a middle of the road run defense.

    That should lead to a fair amount of 3rd and 5s this year, and with our lack of QB pressure that I'm again expecting, the DBs are going to need to ball out, and we need all of them to ball out, not just #23. 😎

  • Stopping the run is an obvious fix that is priority #1 and between the players added and the coaches seeing what the main issues were, and promising to correct them, I feel good about them being at least a middle of the road run defense.

    That should lead to a fair amount of 3rd and 5s this year, and with our lack of QB pressure that I'm again expecting, the DBs are going to need to ball out, and we need all of them to ball out, not just #23. 😎

    @d-bone said:

    Stopping the run is an obvious fix that is priority #1 and between the players added and the coaches seeing what the main issues were, and promising to correct them, I feel good about them being at least a middle of the road run defense.

    That should lead to a fair amount of 3rd and 5s this year, and with our lack of QB pressure that I'm again expecting, the DBs are going to need to ball out, and we need all of them to ball out, not just #23. 😎

    Problem was, at 3rd & 5 teams would still run against us 🙁

  • yep....and they're gonna continue to run HARD against us .....

    #1) until we prove they cant....

    and

    #2) because passing will not be a good option for them...ever