Skip to content

Why u no WR?

The Browns Board
64 27 2.8k
  • Well your quote mentioned qb so...

    WSS

  • If your relying on a WR to be what wins you 10 games, then no that is not going to work. But you need someone who can consistently get open to help take the pressure off of your mediocre QB. Ya Gordon didn't win us any games in 2013, but that was because we tried to make him the total center piece in the offense. How well did we do in games where Cameron got an equal amount of looks at Gordon. Much better. How many wins would we have won that season if we had ANYONE who could have ran the ball.

    How many more games would we have won last year if Cameron was never injured, or Gordon wasn't a dip shit? We don't have terrible WR, but we also don't have someone who can get open consistently and can draw the focus of a defense. This puts more pressure on our QB. The Patriots don't need great WR's because they can sign guys off the street who can barely separate and Tom can thread them the ball. We don't have anyone at QB who can do that. So then teams focus on stacking to box to stop our run and pressure the QB.

    Maybe we do better this year. I think Bowe is someone who will be able to get more separation in the middle of the field than our flock of 5'9 guys can, and I think Hartline is the kind of guy who is going to be a good safety valve to make contested catches. However I still think we need to go after someone and make the long hail mary attempt to get some sort of play maker at WR. I know your not going to find a rookie in rounds 4 or later who is capable of being a #1 WR, but lets take the chance on someone who can push some of these guys down and out of the depth chart. Shit we just spent a 1st round pick on a guy who might just being the #1 backup offensive linemen. We can spend a middle round pick on a WR that can push to be the #3 guy and put someone else out on the street.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    If your relying on a WR to be what wins you 10 games, then no that is not going to work. But you need someone who can consistently get open to help take the pressure off of your mediocre QB. Ya Gordon didn't win us any games in 2013, but that was because we tried to make him the total center piece in the offense. How well did we do in games where Cameron got an equal amount of looks at Gordon. Much better. How many wins would we have won that season if we had ANYONE who could have ran the ball.

    How many more games would we have won last year if Cameron was never injured, or Gordon wasn't a dip shit? We don't have terrible WR, but we also don't have someone who can get open consistently and can draw the focus of a defense. This puts more pressure on our QB. The Patriots don't need great WR's because they can sign guys off the street who can barely separate and Tom can thread them the ball. We don't have anyone at QB who can do that. So then teams focus on stacking to box to stop our run and pressure the QB.

    Maybe we do better this year. I think Bowe is someone who will be able to get more separation in the middle of the field than our flock of 5'9 guys can, and I think Hartline is the kind of guy who is going to be a good safety valve to make contested catches. However I still think we need to go after someone and make the long hail mary attempt to get some sort of play maker at WR. I know your not going to find a rookie in rounds 4 or later who is capable of being a #1 WR, but lets take the chance on someone who can push some of these guys down and out of the depth chart. Shit we just spent a 1st round pick on a guy who might just being the #1 backup offensive linemen. We can spend a middle round pick on a WR that can push to be the #3 guy and put someone else out on the street.

    Wow, we got our wish a WR- finally. MHO is Farmer might have taken one in the second, but there was that big run on the position right before we drafted. So he trades down, and then there's a run on LBs. Oh well.

    Guess his thinking is if he builds up the o-line enough, you could pull guys off the Muni lot to run the ball, and give JFF enough time to pass, any old slug will eventually break open.

  • I'm really high on this draft and would like to express my gratitude to the front office. It blows me away that they snatched Erving from the jaws of the Broncos and Patriots. We have a run stopper and much needed depth. How could anyone feel bad today? They improved in all phases with the draft and free agency. It's going to be a good year and will keep getting better because we finally have a GM and a coach that are on the same page. All those,wasted "Holmgren" years are a thing of the past. The Browns have a bright future.

    Our free agents over performed and want to be Browns unlike Davante Parker and Others who were vocal about not wanting to play for us.

    Hawkins, Gabriel, Hartline, Bowe and Housler wanted to play for us.

  • I'm glad we have quality depth at every position except QB now..

  • In my opinion, if our QB finishes 18th or better in the league QB ratings, we will have a great chance to win the division.

  • This is a RB driven league 😵

    To be successful you have to first and foremost control the line of scrimmage which I think the FO has tried their best to address.

    You also have to score points and again this season with a career back-up and no WR threat the Browns will have to be creative and I don't think they will pull it off. Again defenses will stack the box and press our either undersized or old and slow WRs.

  • "This is a RB driven league"

    What league have you been watching?

  • This is a RB driven league 😵

    To be successful you have to first and foremost control the line of scrimmage which I think the FO has tried their best to address.

    You also have to score points and again this season with a career back-up and no WR threat the Browns will have to be creative and I don't think they will pull it off. Again defenses will stack the box and press our either undersized or old and slow WRs.

    @baconhound said:

    This is a RB driven league 😵

    To be successful you have to first and foremost control the line of scrimmage which I think the FO has tried their best to address.

    You also have to score points and again this season with a career back-up and no WR threat the Browns will have to be creative and I don't think they will pull it off. Again defenses will stack the box and press our either undersized or old and slow WRs.

    Hawkins will destroy teams this year. I will also bet we put Duke in the slot. Play action and screens, will be our bread and butter this year.

  • This is a RB driven league 😵

    To be successful you have to first and foremost control the line of scrimmage which I think the FO has tried their best to address.

    You also have to score points and again this season with a career back-up and no WR threat the Browns will have to be creative and I don't think they will pull it off. Again defenses will stack the box and press our either undersized or old and slow WRs.

    @baconhound said:

    no WR threat.

    Lol wut?

  • I posted this before. Here are our WR rankings from 2014... Not bad...

    Receiving stats:

    Drops %: 3.2 (tied 2nd);

    Yards per catch: 13.4 (1st);

    YAC per reception: 5.99(6th);

    Fumbles: 0 (1st)

  • Taylor Gabriel......you'd think nobody even knows this guy is on our team.....Last year ranked #4 for rookie WR's, behind only Beckham, Evans and Landry....

    Last year was one of the highest touted WR classes ever......and he was #4 rated rookie(out of about 40+).....yet no one seems to think he did much?.....why isnt he getting more props?.....just kinda ho hum?.....

    Gabe =

    #11 in receptions.............yet wasn't even a starter

    #9 in yards.......................with so many fewer targets than the big names

    #2 in YAC @ 7.6..............Watkins= 5.2....Evans= 2.4......Beckham= 5.3

    #3 in YPC @ 16.7............Watkins=15.1..Evans=15.5....Beckham=14.3

  • Nobody should underestimate the Browns this next season. Was Sipe a superstar

    qb?

    Nope. But they were a terrific football TEAM of guys who loved the game, and had

    a good solid locker room.

  • Taylor Gabriel......you'd think nobody even knows this guy is on our team.....Last year ranked #4 for rookie WR's, behind only Beckham, Evans and Landry....

    Last year was one of the highest touted WR classes ever......and he was #4 rated rookie(out of about 40+).....yet no one seems to think he did much?.....why isnt he getting more props?.....just kinda ho hum?.....

    Gabe =

    #11 in receptions.............yet wasn't even a starter

    #9 in yards.......................with so many fewer targets than the big names

    #2 in YAC @ 7.6..............Watkins= 5.2....Evans= 2.4......Beckham= 5.3

    #3 in YPC @ 16.7............Watkins=15.1..Evans=15.5....Beckham=14.3

    @mudfly said:

    Taylor Gabriel......you'd think nobody even knows this guy is on our team.....Last year ranked #4 for rookie WR's, behind only Beckham, Evans and Landry....

    Last year was one of the highest touted WR classes ever......and he was #4 rated rookie(out of about 40+).....yet no one seems to think he did much?.....why isnt he getting more props?.....just kinda ho hum?.....

    Gabe =

    #11 in receptions.............yet wasn't even a starter

    #9 in yards.......................with so many fewer targets than the big names

    #2 in YAC @ 7.6..............Watkins= 5.2....Evans= 2.4......Beckham= 5.3

    #3 in YPC @ 16.7............Watkins=15.1..Evans=15.5....Beckham=14.3

    Only 1 TD... I think that's the number that stands out...

  • @mudfly said:

    Taylor Gabriel......you'd think nobody even knows this guy is on our team.....Last year ranked #4 for rookie WR's, behind only Beckham, Evans and Landry....

    Last year was one of the highest touted WR classes ever......and he was #4 rated rookie(out of about 40+).....yet no one seems to think he did much?.....why isnt he getting more props?.....just kinda ho hum?.....

    Gabe =

    #11 in receptions.............yet wasn't even a starter

    #9 in yards.......................with so many fewer targets than the big names

    #2 in YAC @ 7.6..............Watkins= 5.2....Evans= 2.4......Beckham= 5.3

    #3 in YPC @ 16.7............Watkins=15.1..Evans=15.5....Beckham=14.3

    Only 1 TD... I think that's the number that stands out...

    @thenew23 said:

    Only 1 TD... I think that's the number that stands out...

    Yep....thats the one that sticks out.....figured someone would point it out.....though, I will defend that with the fact that he was rarely used as a red zone receiver....(and, at 5-8", probably not gonna be anytime soon)......

    In the end, #4 overall is #4 overall, which represents not just yards...or total catches...or number of TD's......but the whole package....

    Hoping to see him break a few more long ones this year....as last year, he got free several times and Hoyer just couldnt get him the ball.....

  • "This is a RB driven league"

    What league have you been watching?

    Yep... too small and raw to separate in the compacted field and did not have a QB that could capitalize on his speed... A combo that is bound to suppress the TD total.

    @wargograw said:

    "This is a RB driven league"

    What league have you been watching?

    I'm going to go with sarcasm... especially with the 😵 ...

  • I posted this before. Here are our WR rankings from 2014... Not bad...

    Receiving stats:

    Drops %: 3.2 (tied 2nd);

    Yards per catch: 13.4 (1st);

    YAC per reception: 5.99(6th);

    Fumbles: 0 (1st)

    @thenew23 said:

    I posted this before. Here are our WR rankings from 2014... Not bad...

    Receiving stats:

    Drops %: 3.2 (tied 2nd);

    Yards per catch: 13.4 (1st);

    YAC per reception: 5.99(6th);

    Fumbles: 0 (1st)

    How about Receptions, Yards and TDs?

  • If you have a good oline and can run the football, the WRs do not have to be studs. They need to do their jobs, meaning running good routes, not taking plays off, blocking, and most importantly, catching the ball when it is thrown to them. A little YAC doesn't hurt either. Last year, the Browns rotated guys in and out quite a bit keeping them fresh too.

    We had things functioning just fine until Gordon came back playing half ass backyard football and the shit hit the fan.This corps is probably the best we have had since the return depth wise. Great slot guys in Hawk and little Gabriel, good size and enough speed with Bowe and Hartline and some developmental guys starting with Mayle. If Benji is your sixth WR on the roster, you have some pretty good depth.

    I will take good, disciplined WRs any day and every day over some choads like Little, Morgan and Edwards etc.

  • Id rather have 3 receivers with 700 yds each......than 1 with 1500 and 2 others with 300 ea......

    A balanced/deeper team will always take you farther, than an unbalanced team with a few superstars......

  • This FO and the TEAM believes in Josh Gordon, even if some of you do not. I know that they've seen him abstain from weed for seasons, abstain from alcohol the whole season last year only to be suspended an entire year for a technicality. It's bullshit that they are riding his balls so hard. He's a good kid, he's very talented and he's going to be a Cleveland Brown for a long time. I believe in Gordon.

    #1- Josh Gordon

    #2- Dwayne Bowe/Brian Hartline

    #3- Andrew Hawkins

    #4- Taylor Gabriel/Travis Benjamin

    There really isn't room for another receiver right now. So what Farmer says makes sense. I would have loved to add DGB to this group which I think would have put them over the top but it's whatever, I really like JG, Hawk, Gabe and Benji. Hawk and Gabe can really move. I love the shifty small WRs.

    I had us taking Corey Grant in a lot of Mocks just because he's so fast and small(RB), but Farmer did one better by getting Duke Johnson- I love this little pitbull at RB. He's going to be exciting, he reminds me of Jerome Harrison.

    @poeticg said:

    This FO and the TEAM believes in Josh Gordon, even if some of you do not. I know that they've seen him abstain from weed for seasons, abstain from alcohol the whole season last year only to be suspended an entire year for a technicality. It's bullshit that they are riding his balls so hard. He's a good kid, he's very talented and he's going to be a Cleveland Brown for a long time. I believe in Gordon.

    #1- Josh Gordon

    #2- Dwayne Bowe/Brian Hartline

    #3- Andrew Hawkins

    #4- Taylor Gabriel/Travis Benjamin

    There really isn't room for another receiver right now. So what Farmer says makes sense. I would have loved to add DGB to this group which I think would have put them over the top but it's whatever, I really like JG, Hawk, Gabe and Benji. Hawk and Gabe can really move. I love the shifty small WRs.

    I had us taking Corey Grant in a lot of Mocks just because he's so fast and small(RB), but Farmer did one better by getting Duke Johnson- I love this little pitbull at RB. He's going to be exciting, he reminds me of Jerome Harrison.

    You forgot about the guy we took in the 4th round...Mayles? Where does he fit in.

    (as I noted elsewhere on this receiver thing....the Steelers best WR for years was a third round converted QB.

  • Id rather have 3 receivers with 700 yds each......than 1 with 1500 and 2 others with 300 ea......

    A balanced/deeper team will always take you farther, than an unbalanced team with a few superstars......

    @mudfly said:

    Id rather have 3 receivers with 700 yds each......than 1 with 1500 and 2 others with 300 ea......

    A balanced/deeper team will always take you farther, than an unbalanced team with a few superstars......

    I agree Mud, the only issue with the current Browns is there is no threat. Doesn't have to be a name brand but a 6'3 215lb with 4.4 speed would really help. I like Mayle's size but 4.67 isn't enough speed. Jalen Strong was available at a reasonable position.