Skip to content

Browns trade for Pro-bowl punter

The Browns Board
62 18 2.7k
  • @d-bone said:

    Who says we need a franchise QB? 😎

    Can we get one with a 7th round pick?

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @the-gipper said:

    Can we get one with a 7th round pick?

    It would have to be a high 7th

  • @tour2ma said:

    LOL... Usually you're the one handing out doses of reality.

    Farmer can recoup a 7th anytime he wants to and not hurt his draft at all, and Punters often punt effectively into their mid-thirties.

    Better?

    Ha!....yes, better....

    When you think about it.....Farmer has completely revamped the skill positions on the kicking squads......

    New punter.....new place kicker......new long snapper......and new holder.......plus, just watched a Dawg Pound Report and they said the Browns are working on getting some different guys returning kicks.....OH JOY!!!!!!

    OTA's had Tramon Williams, Benji and Duke as the punt returners......and Gilbert, Duke and Benji as the kick returners....so....Oh joy again!!!

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #32

    lol...

    @mudfly said:

    New punter.....new place kicker......new long snapper......and new holder.......plus, just watched a Dawg Pound Report and they said the Browns are working on getting some different guys returning kicks.....OH JOY!!!!!!

    OTA's had Tramon Williams, Benji and Duke as the punt returners......and Gilbert, Duke and Benji as the kick returners....so....Oh joy again!!!

    Definitely more attention being paid to the 3rd phase this year.

    I just like stronger guys returning kicks... Duke - yes; Gilbert/ Benji - not so much.

    @ballpeen said:

    LOL....ok....I see the mistake....3.6 is the factor. Actually, History. Anything but math, so point taken.

    You're a good sport...

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Because we plan on punting early and often.

    Can Mccown do what he is being called on doing being a game manager? I think he can. He will have one of the best O lines in the league which is a huge boost to any qb. He will have some good running backs. If the Browns establish a running game it will open everything else up. We are counting on ball control and conrolling the time of possession. Too many 3 and outs and no matter how good our defense is they will get worn down. If Lee's punting can pin opposing team's offenses in bad field position that is only going to benefit our defense. If other teams try stacking the line to stop our run game and force us to throw I think this team with McCown has the ability to make them pay for it. It is not like we won't have any passing game.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Can Mccown do what he is being called on doing being a game manager? I think he can. He will have one of the best O lines in the league which is a huge boost to any qb. He will have some good running backs. If the Browns establish a running game it will open everything else up. We are counting on ball control and conrolling the time of possession. Too many 3 and outs and no matter how good our defense is they will get worn down. If Lee's punting can pin opposing team's offenses in bad field position that is only going to benefit our defense. If other teams try stacking the line to stop our run game and force us to throw I think this team with McCown has the ability to make them pay for it. It is not like we won't have any passing game.

    The faith that I have is moreso in our offensive line, runningbacks and offensive coordinator. I think McCown can have a season somewhere between what we saw in Chicago and what we saw in Tampa, but I don't expect even lower-level greatness out of him. I expect a very similar performance to what we saw from Hoyer, although McCown will be working to groom Manziel more than Hoyer ever did...and that's where his benefit lies.

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    Can Mccown do what he is being called on doing being a game manager? I think he can. He will have one of the best O lines in the league which is a huge boost to any qb. He will have some good running backs. If the Browns establish a running game it will open everything else up. We are counting on ball control and conrolling the time of possession. Too many 3 and outs and no matter how good our defense is they will get worn down. If Lee's punting can pin opposing team's offenses in bad field position that is only going to benefit our defense. If other teams try stacking the line to stop our run game and force us to throw I think this team with McCown has the ability to make them pay for it. It is not like we won't have any passing game.

    The faith that I have is moreso in our offensive line, runningbacks and offensive coordinator. I think McCown can have a season somewhere between what we saw in Chicago and what we saw in Tampa, but I don't expect even lower-level greatness out of him. I expect a very similar performance to what we saw from Hoyer, although McCown will be working to groom Manziel more than Hoyer ever did...and that's where his benefit lies.

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

    isn't it great when you are unexpectedly surprised?

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    Can Mccown do what he is being called on doing being a game manager? I think he can. He will have one of the best O lines in the league which is a huge boost to any qb. He will have some good running backs. If the Browns establish a running game it will open everything else up. We are counting on ball control and conrolling the time of possession. Too many 3 and outs and no matter how good our defense is they will get worn down. If Lee's punting can pin opposing team's offenses in bad field position that is only going to benefit our defense. If other teams try stacking the line to stop our run game and force us to throw I think this team with McCown has the ability to make them pay for it. It is not like we won't have any passing game.

    The faith that I have is moreso in our offensive line, runningbacks and offensive coordinator. I think McCown can have a season somewhere between what we saw in Chicago and what we saw in Tampa, but I don't expect even lower-level greatness out of him. I expect a very similar performance to what we saw from Hoyer, although McCown will be working to groom Manziel more than Hoyer ever did...and that's where his benefit lies.

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    True, but you only analyzed the WR corps... which BTW the Bucs did closely match.

    We have a shot at approaching Forte/Bush via some combination of Crow/West/Johnson and that level of run success bodes well for a PAP-oriented Offense/QB.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    True, but you only analyzed the WR corps... which BTW the Bucs did closely match.

    We have a shot at approaching Forte/Bush via some combination of Crow/West/Johnson and that level of run success bodes well for a PAP-oriented Offense/QB.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @tour2ma said:

    True, but you only analyzed the WR corps... which BTW the Bucs did closely match.

    We have a shot at approaching Forte/Bush via some combination of Crow/West/Johnson and that level of run success bodes well for a PAP-oriented Offense/QB.

    That's my point exactly. The Bucs had the weapons, but not the protection. We have the protection, but not the weapons.

    McCown is a facilitator - give him talent (and keep him standing), and he should distribute to the appropriate target. We have solid, young, undervalued talent at our skill positions. Some of them will surprise. But they aren't nearly enough to be relied upon...which is what I'm worried about.

    We don't have big, dominating redzone threats at WR and TE and a proven every down back who is just as talented receiving out of the backfield as he is running between the tackles.

    All Chicago's OL had to do was keep McCown relatively clean, which they did (5th in pass pro per Football Outsiders). On paper, our offensive line should keep him clean and should make enough holes for our RB's to run through. What remains to be seen is whether our undersized, shifty WR's can make McCown look good, like Chicago's giant ones did.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #37

    I bet McCown out plays Hoyer, and if he can, we should be in good shape............. As long as we can consistently stop the run, and then get off the field on 3rd down that is. If we don't do both of those things well, it's going to be a frustrating year.

    I just don't see McCown being worse than Brian.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #38

    I believe McCown is underrated, and will be a terrific surprise this season.. They are saying he can still "spin it"...

    which Hoyer just couldn't do anymore.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Sorry peeps Am all done trying to read into how good this QB and Team is going to be. We have read this from media post season far to many times. Show me when the pre-season lights come on, that's closer to a real game with our real Team.. Go Cavs!!

  • I bet McCown out plays Hoyer, and if he can, we should be in good shape............. As long as we can consistently stop the run, and then get off the field on 3rd down that is. If we don't do both of those things well, it's going to be a frustrating year.

    I just don't see McCown being worse than Brian.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @d-bone said:

    I bet McCown out plays Hoyer, and if he can, we should be in good shape............. As long as we can consistently stop the run, and then get off the field on 3rd down that is. If we don't do both of those things well, it's going to be a frustrating year.

    I just don't see McCown being worse than Brian.

    I don't see him being worse than Hoyer, but I also don't see him being much better, either. As a matter of fact, I feel like they'll be just about the same, when all is said and done.

    If I had to throw some stats on it, I'd go for a season like:

    238 completions - 408 attempts | 58.3% | 2,703 yds. | 15 TD | 14 INT | 76.2 Rating

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    Can Mccown do what he is being called on doing being a game manager? I think he can. He will have one of the best O lines in the league which is a huge boost to any qb. He will have some good running backs. If the Browns establish a running game it will open everything else up. We are counting on ball control and conrolling the time of possession. Too many 3 and outs and no matter how good our defense is they will get worn down. If Lee's punting can pin opposing team's offenses in bad field position that is only going to benefit our defense. If other teams try stacking the line to stop our run game and force us to throw I think this team with McCown has the ability to make them pay for it. It is not like we won't have any passing game.

    The faith that I have is moreso in our offensive line, runningbacks and offensive coordinator. I think McCown can have a season somewhere between what we saw in Chicago and what we saw in Tampa, but I don't expect even lower-level greatness out of him. I expect a very similar performance to what we saw from Hoyer, although McCown will be working to groom Manziel more than Hoyer ever did...and that's where his benefit lies.

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The faith that I have is moreso in our offensive line, runningbacks and offensive coordinator. I think McCown can have a season somewhere between what we saw in Chicago and what we saw in Tampa, but I don't expect even lower-level greatness out of him. I expect a very similar performance to what we saw from Hoyer, although McCown will be working to groom Manziel more than Hoyer ever did...and that's where his benefit lies.

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

    Ha. Know how I know you're an SC fan? "Last name, Alshon, last name, last name."

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The faith that I have is moreso in our offensive line, runningbacks and offensive coordinator. I think McCown can have a season somewhere between what we saw in Chicago and what we saw in Tampa, but I don't expect even lower-level greatness out of him. I expect a very similar performance to what we saw from Hoyer, although McCown will be working to groom Manziel more than Hoyer ever did...and that's where his benefit lies.

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

    Ha. Know how I know you're an SC fan? "Last name, Alshon, last name, last name."

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by Tim Couch Pulls Out
    #42

    @wargograw said:

    Ha. Know how I know you're an SC fan? "Last name, Alshon, last name, last name."

    Good eye!

    It's become so ingrained in me that I didn't even realize I was doing it. Not necessarily a S.Car fan per se, I'm still a Buckeye fan through and through...but all of my friends are alums, so I've become partial to S.Car over Clemson.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The faith that I have is moreso in our offensive line, runningbacks and offensive coordinator. I think McCown can have a season somewhere between what we saw in Chicago and what we saw in Tampa, but I don't expect even lower-level greatness out of him. I expect a very similar performance to what we saw from Hoyer, although McCown will be working to groom Manziel more than Hoyer ever did...and that's where his benefit lies.

    People like to credit our offensive line and say "why can't McCown have a Chicago-like season?"

    The answer - we don't have Forte, Alshon, Marshall and Bennett.

    We may have equivalent talent in Johnson, Mayle and Housler, but that's top level homerism at it's finest. I expect Housler to surprise, I expect Mayle to develop into a receiver akin to what Greg Little could have been, and I think Johnson has the ability to become a very dynamic receiving back ( a la Forte). But I don't expect that this year.

    Ha. Know how I know you're an SC fan? "Last name, Alshon, last name, last name."

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @wargograw said:

    Ha. Know how I know you're an SC fan? "Last name, Alshon, last name, last name."

    Cher

    Madonna

    Bjork

    Sting

    Bono

    Charro

    Beck

    Enya

    Flea

    Pink

    Moby

    Prince

    Sade

    Sinbad

    Rihanna

    Donovan

    Wynonna

    Alshon?

  • @tour2ma said:

    True, but you only analyzed the WR corps... which BTW the Bucs did closely match.

    We have a shot at approaching Forte/Bush via some combination of Crow/West/Johnson and that level of run success bodes well for a PAP-oriented Offense/QB.

    That's my point exactly. The Bucs had the weapons, but not the protection. We have the protection, but not the weapons.

    McCown is a facilitator - give him talent (and keep him standing), and he should distribute to the appropriate target. We have solid, young, undervalued talent at our skill positions. Some of them will surprise. But they aren't nearly enough to be relied upon...which is what I'm worried about.

    We don't have big, dominating redzone threats at WR and TE and a proven every down back who is just as talented receiving out of the backfield as he is running between the tackles.

    All Chicago's OL had to do was keep McCown relatively clean, which they did (5th in pass pro per Football Outsiders). On paper, our offensive line should keep him clean and should make enough holes for our RB's to run through. What remains to be seen is whether our undersized, shifty WR's can make McCown look good, like Chicago's giant ones did.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    That's my point exactly. The Bucs had the weapons, but not the protection. We have the protection, but not the weapons.

    McCown is a facilitator - give him talent (and keep him standing), and he should distribute to the appropriate target. We have solid, young, undervalued talent at our skill positions. Some of them will surprise. But they aren't nearly enough to be relied upon...which is what I'm worried about.

    We don't have big, dominating redzone threats at WR and TE and a proven every down back who is just as talented receiving out of the backfield as he is running between the tackles.

    All Chicago's OL had to do was keep McCown relatively clean, which they did (5th in pass pro per Football Outsiders). On paper, our offensive line should keep him clean and should make enough holes for our RB's to run through. What remains to be seen is whether our undersized, shifty WR's can make McCown look good, like Chicago's giant ones did.

    Obviously then I missed the point. Not the first time... not the last... in fact I may still be. But if it is that of the three, offensive facets Chicago had right in '13, O-line, Run game and WRs, the one that a QB can influence the most is WR... then we agree.

    What I find telling from the Bears' '13 season is that Josh's and Jay's completion percentages were very close and their TDs were roughly proportional to their starts. Only their INTs were grossly different. Not sure if Mc's low INT figure is the mark of a "facilitator"; it is the mark of a game manager.

    Problem for the Bears' was that when your Defense ranks 29th in yards allowed and 30th in points allowed, then you actually need a little more gun-slinging and a little less managing from your QB. I don't think any of us expect this problem in '15.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't see him being worse than Hoyer, but I also don't see him being much better, either. As a matter of fact, I feel like they'll be just about the same, when all is said and done.

    Two things put me in the "he'll be better" camp:

    1. I get the feeling that Mc is mentally tougher... or at least that the "pressures" won't be as great on him, i.e., no home-town thing and not being hell bent to prove he's the starter.

    2. Mc's stronger arm... 45 yards will not be our air attack's effective range.

  • @d-bone said:

    I bet McCown out plays Hoyer, and if he can, we should be in good shape............. As long as we can consistently stop the run, and then get off the field on 3rd down that is. If we don't do both of those things well, it's going to be a frustrating year.

    I just don't see McCown being worse than Brian.

    I don't see him being worse than Hoyer, but I also don't see him being much better, either. As a matter of fact, I feel like they'll be just about the same, when all is said and done.

    If I had to throw some stats on it, I'd go for a season like:

    238 completions - 408 attempts | 58.3% | 2,703 yds. | 15 TD | 14 INT | 76.2 Rating

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't see him being worse than Hoyer, but I also don't see him being much better, either. As a matter of fact, I feel like they'll be just about the same, when all is said and done.

    Cant disagree here....though I would say that Hoyer was pretty good weeks 1 thru 10, then was fairly terrible for his last 5 starts.....

    So, while I dont expect McCown to be notably better than Hoyer was(weeks 1-10), I do expect him to be more consistent....and less likely to get rattled like Hoyer did......

    Hoping all those extra years of experience get him(and us) through the tough times with better results.....(fingers crossed)...

    I sure as hell hope we have more than 2700 yds passing though......yikes!

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #46

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    Interesting take on the impact paying a Punter a Mil-a-year more than his predecessor will have on negotiations with Gip...

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/14118/tashaun-gipson-had-to-notice-when-browns-added-salary-with-andy-lee

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't see him being worse than Hoyer, but I also don't see him being much better, either. As a matter of fact, I feel like they'll be just about the same, when all is said and done.

    Cant disagree here....though I would say that Hoyer was pretty good weeks 1 thru 10, then was fairly terrible for his last 5 starts.....

    So, while I dont expect McCown to be notably better than Hoyer was(weeks 1-10), I do expect him to be more consistent....and less likely to get rattled like Hoyer did......

    Hoping all those extra years of experience get him(and us) through the tough times with better results.....(fingers crossed)...

    I sure as hell hope we have more than 2700 yds passing though......yikes!

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @mudfly said:

    Cant disagree here....though I would say that Hoyer was pretty good weeks 1 thru 10, then was fairly terrible for his last 5 starts.....

    So, while I dont expect McCown to be notably better than Hoyer was(weeks 1-10), I do expect him to be more consistent....and less likely to get rattled like Hoyer did......

    Hoping all those extra years of experience get him(and us) through the tough times with better results.....(fingers crossed)...

    I sure as hell hope we have more than 2700 yds passing though......yikes!

    Those stats were McCown's average game (taken by dividing his yards/completions/TDs/INTs by his number of games) extrapolated over a 17 game season.

    It would be a more precise average if I removed the stats from games he didn't start, but I just didn't have that kind of time. It was a rush job.

    Either way, I exoect us to hover around the 3,000 yard mark, if preseason has been any indication.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #48

    yeah....got no issue with the stats prediction other than it's way less than Id hope to see from an improved team.......

    But...assuming our O line is back and we have improvement at RB and WR...and that we had 3600 yds passing last year, then 2700 yds in 16 games would be a big drop off(way worse)....wouldnt it?

    If it happens, then I at least hope we add an extra 1000 or 2 to our running stats.....or we are in HUGE trouble.....😉

  • yeah....got no issue with the stats prediction other than it's way less than Id hope to see from an improved team.......

    But...assuming our O line is back and we have improvement at RB and WR...and that we had 3600 yds passing last year, then 2700 yds in 16 games would be a big drop off(way worse)....wouldnt it?

    If it happens, then I at least hope we add an extra 1000 or 2 to our running stats.....or we are in HUGE trouble.....😉

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @mudfly said:

    yeah....got no issue with the stats prediction other than it's way less than Id hope to see from an improved team.......

    But...assuming our O line is back and we have improvement at RB and WR...and that we had 3600 yds passing last year, then 2700 yds in 16 games would be a big drop off(way worse)....wouldnt it?

    If it happens, then I at least hope we add an extra 1000 or 2 to our running stats.....or we are in HUGE trouble..... 😉

    I agree. We'll be in major trouble if the yardage isn't made up somewhere. I'd love to see us lead the league in rushing yards this season.

    A studly defense should contribute to better field position, meaning less yards for our offense to travel. Same goes for a better return game.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #50

    Definitely......sure wouldnt mind about 2200-2500 yds rushing( I think we had about 1800 last year)......It'd be nice to see a step up from the Crow/West tandem(dont care how it's split) .....and then add some extra for the Duke.....