Skip to content

Harbaugh is in for a LONG year

College Football Forum
105 16 4.6k
  • @mld-woody said:

    He had no egos to manage on an NFL team?

    Who has said he will dominate?

    Was Stanford in a "small league"? They play in the same FBS as everyone else, correct? Or are you calling the PAC 12 small?

    You said there's no guarantee he'll win because he's only won at a "small program". That completely ignores each program he's turned around, it makes Stanford sound like a MAC team, and it ignores his entire NFL stint...

    You can cut guys in the NFL. Everyone's got a professionals mentality. Completely different ball game.

    Pretty much every Michigan fan. If not, what exactly do you think he will do?

    "Big leagues" is an expression. Stanford is not in the CFB big leagues when it comes to programs. Had nothing to do with the PAC 12.

    It doesn't ignore each program he's turned around. It says it's a small program. Exactly what I said.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @wargograw said:

    You can cut guys in the NFL. Everyone's got a professionals mentality. Completely different ball game.

    Pretty much every Michigan fan. If not, what exactly do you think he will do?

    "Big leagues" is an expression. Stanford is not in the CFB big leagues when it comes to programs. Had nothing to do with the PAC 12.

    It doesn't ignore each program he's turned around. It says it's a small program. Exactly what I said.

    Everyone has a professional mentality in the NFL? Really? You think egos just disappear once you reach the NFL? And you think "just cut them" is the answer?

    Every Michigan fan says Harbaugh will "dominate"? Really? I disagree, but I guess that would depend on your definition of dominate.

    No, Stanford is not in the top level of big time programs. Stanford isn't a small program though. And, again, it ignores the NFL.

    Though I'm sure most NFL coaches would be relieved to hear there aren't egos to deal with in the NFL and everyone is a professional.

  • @the-gipper said:

    8-4 is optimal expectation, 6-6 is reasonable expectation. 4-8 is not beyond the realm of possibility.

    What is your background in the issue?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @mld-woody said:

    What is your background in the issue?

    Years and years and years of experience. And knowledge. And insight. And divination.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You think he is a new Nick Saban......success in college, switches to the pros....things there become iffy...then he decides tp go back to college to his "dream job". Sure, possible. But then his dream job unlike Saban may in fact be back in the NFL......who knows, we shall see.

    First of all I'd never want Harbaugh to be like Saban.

    Second, there are a lot of differences in these situations

    1) JH actually had success in the pros, a lot of it

    2) JH could gave continued coaching in the NFL at a number of locations if he wanted to

    3) JH is back at the team he played for. In the town he grew up in. His kids are going to the same elementary school he did. By all accounts he is where he wants to be right now.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @mld-woody said:

    First of all I'd never want Harbaugh to be like Saban.

    Second, there are a lot of differences in these situations

    1) JH actually had success in the pros, a lot of it

    2) JH could gave continued coaching in the NFL at a number of locations if he wanted to

    3) JH is back at the team he played for. In the town he grew up in. His kids are going to the same elementary school he did. By all accounts he is where he wants to be right now.

    Possible, but who knows.

    Harbaugh.....went to HS in Palo Alto (maybe that is where he really would like to be...but can't go back there). And he was born in Toledo.

    So...when did he live in AA as a baern?

  • @mld-woody said:

    First of all I'd never want Harbaugh to be like Saban.

    Second, there are a lot of differences in these situations

    1) JH actually had success in the pros, a lot of it

    2) JH could gave continued coaching in the NFL at a number of locations if he wanted to

    3) JH is back at the team he played for. In the town he grew up in. His kids are going to the same elementary school he did. By all accounts he is where he wants to be right now.

    Possible, but who knows.

    Harbaugh.....went to HS in Palo Alto (maybe that is where he really would like to be...but can't go back there). And he was born in Toledo.

    So...when did he live in AA as a baern?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @the-gipper said:

    Possible, but who knows.

    Harbaugh.....went to HS in Palo Alto (maybe that is where he really would like to be...but can't go back there). And he was born in Toledo.

    So...when did he live in AA as a baern?

    He lived in AA between 1973 and 1979, when his dad coached here. During that time he idolized Bo. Not to mention he played here under Bo. He has plenty of time in here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've followed this more than you. It seems like this is where he wants to be.

    Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL and be in Cali, he'd be there.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Possible, but who knows.

    Harbaugh.....went to HS in Palo Alto (maybe that is where he really would like to be...but can't go back there). And he was born in Toledo.

    So...when did he live in AA as a baern?

    He lived in AA between 1973 and 1979, when his dad coached here. During that time he idolized Bo. Not to mention he played here under Bo. He has plenty of time in here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've followed this more than you. It seems like this is where he wants to be.

    Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL and be in Cali, he'd be there.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @mld-woody said:

    He lived in AA between 1973 and 1979, when his dad coached here. During that time he idolized Bo. Not to mention he played here under Bo. He has plenty of time in here. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've followed this more than you. It seems like this is where he wants to be.

    Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL and be in Cali, he'd be there.

    Just wait until a decent/good NFL team comes calling.

    I don't think he will leave for some scrub team without a franchise QB.

    Maybe the Giants in a year or 2 or maybe the Colts, as their coach is in the last year of his contract.

    If the Colts call him next off-season, he will be on the first thing smokin' to Indy

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #49

    You think he didn't have any good/decent options in the NFL? With all of the success he had? You sure?

  • You think he didn't have any good/decent options in the NFL? With all of the success he had? You sure?

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @mld-woody said:

    You think he didn't have any good/decent options in the NFL? With all of the success he had? You sure?

    Of the 7 NFL teams that needed a coach this past off-season, maybe ATL was a better job than UM

    Wait until the Colts need a new coach. They will have their pick of any college coach they want

    Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh all might get calls from them, and if they want Harbaugh he will be gone

  • @wargograw said:

    You can cut guys in the NFL. Everyone's got a professionals mentality. Completely different ball game.

    Pretty much every Michigan fan. If not, what exactly do you think he will do?

    "Big leagues" is an expression. Stanford is not in the CFB big leagues when it comes to programs. Had nothing to do with the PAC 12.

    It doesn't ignore each program he's turned around. It says it's a small program. Exactly what I said.

    Everyone has a professional mentality in the NFL? Really? You think egos just disappear once you reach the NFL? And you think "just cut them" is the answer?

    Every Michigan fan says Harbaugh will "dominate"? Really? I disagree, but I guess that would depend on your definition of dominate.

    No, Stanford is not in the top level of big time programs. Stanford isn't a small program though. And, again, it ignores the NFL.

    Though I'm sure most NFL coaches would be relieved to hear there aren't egos to deal with in the NFL and everyone is a professional.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @mld-woody said:

    Everyone has a professional mentality in the NFL? Really? You think egos just disappear once you reach the NFL? And you think "just cut them" is the answer?

    Every Michigan fan says Harbaugh will "dominate"? Really? I disagree, but I guess that would depend on your definition of dominate.

    No, Stanford is not in the top level of big time programs. Stanford isn't a small program though. And, again, it ignores the NFL.

    Though I'm sure most NFL coaches would be relieved to hear there aren't egos to deal with in the NFL and everyone is a professional.

    It's a completely different ball game dealing with these youngsters. They are anywhere from 1-5 years younger than every NFL player. That makes a huge difference. They can be cut in a lot of instances. See West, Terrence (I realize he wasn't technically cut).

    So you haven't said exactly what you think he'll do. Just are refuting my interpretation of Michigan fans (which is built largely off of the things you've said anyway). Care to actually offer an opinion instead of picking apart everyone else's?

  • @mld-woody said:

    You think he didn't have any good/decent options in the NFL? With all of the success he had? You sure?

    Of the 7 NFL teams that needed a coach this past off-season, maybe ATL was a better job than UM

    Wait until the Colts need a new coach. They will have their pick of any college coach they want

    Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh all might get calls from them, and if they want Harbaugh he will be gone

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @browns149 said:

    Of the 7 NFL teams that needed a coach this past off-season, maybe ATL was a better job than UM

    Wait until the Colts need a new coach. They will have their pick of any college coach they want

    Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh all might get calls from them, and if they want Harbaugh he will be gone

    Sure thing.

    I imagine you also went from the "he'll never leave the NFL for Michigan!" to the "Well no one in the NFL wanted him anyway!" camps too...

  • @mld-woody said:

    Everyone has a professional mentality in the NFL? Really? You think egos just disappear once you reach the NFL? And you think "just cut them" is the answer?

    Every Michigan fan says Harbaugh will "dominate"? Really? I disagree, but I guess that would depend on your definition of dominate.

    No, Stanford is not in the top level of big time programs. Stanford isn't a small program though. And, again, it ignores the NFL.

    Though I'm sure most NFL coaches would be relieved to hear there aren't egos to deal with in the NFL and everyone is a professional.

    It's a completely different ball game dealing with these youngsters. They are anywhere from 1-5 years younger than every NFL player. That makes a huge difference. They can be cut in a lot of instances. See West, Terrence (I realize he wasn't technically cut).

    So you haven't said exactly what you think he'll do. Just are refuting my interpretation of Michigan fans (which is built largely off of the things you've said anyway). Care to actually offer an opinion instead of picking apart everyone else's?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @wargograw said:

    It's a completely different ball game dealing with these youngsters. They are anywhere from 1-5 years younger than every NFL player. That makes a huge difference. They can be cut in a lot of instances. See West, Terrence (I realize he wasn't technically cut).

    So you haven't said exactly what you think he'll do. Just are refuting my interpretation of Michigan fans (which is built largely off of the things you've said anyway). Care to actually offer an opinion instead of picking apart everyone else's?

    I think we'll be in the national title conversation in about 4 years

    West wasn't a star. Moving him was no big deal. College coaches have much, much more influence over their players than NFL coaches.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #54

    Ok we're splitting hairs but being in the title conversation is not dominating?

    The guys are much older, more mature, the ones with character issues are downgraded in the draft, etc. No comparison to getting some kid in from New Orleans or BF, Mississippi that's grown up with no father and a ton of violence in the neighborhood and whose first time leaving his 100 mile radius is when his high school coach drove him to an unofficial visit. That's who you're managing. Not a guy who's been a college star for years.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #55

    I consider dominating as creating a dynasty with multiple titles. I don't expect that.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #56

    Alright, fair enough. That's a clear distinction. Why don't you though?

  • Alright, fair enough. That's a clear distinction. Why don't you though?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @wargograw said:

    Alright, fair enough. That's a clear distinction. Why don't you though?

    I don't think that is a reasonable expectation for any team. There is a lot of competition across the board. Michigan has a top coach, they're a top program historically, have all of the resources they could need, etc etc etc... but it is unreasonable to expect "dominance" anywhere.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #58

    How woody sees harbaugh 635744570737111693-espn1.jpg

    How I see harbaugh 9ZQvwsH.gif

  • @browns149 said:

    Of the 7 NFL teams that needed a coach this past off-season, maybe ATL was a better job than UM

    Wait until the Colts need a new coach. They will have their pick of any college coach they want

    Saban, Meyer, or Harbaugh all might get calls from them, and if they want Harbaugh he will be gone

    Sure thing.

    I imagine you also went from the "he'll never leave the NFL for Michigan!" to the "Well no one in the NFL wanted him anyway!" camps too...

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @mld-woody said:

    Sure thing.

    I imagine you also went from the "he'll never leave the NFL for Michigan!" to the "Well no one in the NFL wanted him anyway!" camps too...

    It was easy for him to leave the NFL for UM. He had no better offer.

    I'm sure the Raiders wanted him, or the Jets, or even the Bills, but he wasn't going there.

    And I don't blame him for that, those places are where coaches go to die.

    So he ran to UM until he gets a better offer. Just like he has done his entire coaching career

  • @mld-woody said:

    Sure thing.

    I imagine you also went from the "he'll never leave the NFL for Michigan!" to the "Well no one in the NFL wanted him anyway!" camps too...

    It was easy for him to leave the NFL for UM. He had no better offer.

    I'm sure the Raiders wanted him, or the Jets, or even the Bills, but he wasn't going there.

    And I don't blame him for that, those places are where coaches go to die.

    So he ran to UM until he gets a better offer. Just like he has done his entire coaching career

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @browns149 said:

    It was easy for him to leave the NFL for UM. He had no better offer.

    I'm sure the Raiders wanted him, or the Jets, or even the Bills, but he wasn't going there.

    And I don't blame him for that, those places are where coaches go to die.

    So he ran to UM until he gets a better offer. Just like he has done his entire coaching career

    Oh god, your bias is just making you sound like an idiot. Yes, Harbaugh ran from all of his past jobs. How dare he succeed at each of his past stops and then use that success to move up...

    I am going to guess, after the success JH had in the NFL, a lot more than 3 teams were interested. Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL, he'd be there...

  • How woody sees harbaugh 635744570737111693-espn1.jpg

    How I see harbaugh 9ZQvwsH.gif

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    How woody sees harbaugh 635744570737111693-espn1.jpg

    How I see harbaugh 9ZQvwsH.gif

    I'm cool with crazy Banana Harbaugh

  • @browns149 said:

    It was easy for him to leave the NFL for UM. He had no better offer.

    I'm sure the Raiders wanted him, or the Jets, or even the Bills, but he wasn't going there.

    And I don't blame him for that, those places are where coaches go to die.

    So he ran to UM until he gets a better offer. Just like he has done his entire coaching career

    Oh god, your bias is just making you sound like an idiot. Yes, Harbaugh ran from all of his past jobs. How dare he succeed at each of his past stops and then use that success to move up...

    I am going to guess, after the success JH had in the NFL, a lot more than 3 teams were interested. Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL, he'd be there...

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by Browns149
    #62

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh god, your bias is just making you sound like an idiot. Yes, Harbaugh ran from all of his past jobs. How dare he succeed at each of his past stops and then use that success to move up...

    I am going to guess, after the success JH had in the NFL, a lot more than 3 teams were interested. Again, if he wanted to be in the NFL, he'd be there...

    If he had a decent offer in the NFL

    HE'D BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    HE DIDN'T HAVE THAT OFFER.

    you keep claiming, he had all these GREAT offer's

    He didn't have that offer. Just check the teams that had an opening.......................

    Once Andrew Luck becomes available, he will be right there to slurp it up.

    That is, if Urban, Or Saban doesn't take it first

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #63

    NFL teams don't want to pay coaches as much as college programs do. I wouldn't worry too much about any of these guys leaving.