Skip to content

If Pettine is not around next year, is Chip Kelly a good option?

The Browns Board
95 37 2.9k
  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #6

    chip kelly...NO. He's a loose cannon, a little too outrageous.

    Tony Dungy would be a great pick.

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Chip Kelly...hell no!

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Not sure Cleveland will want a spread. Kelly and Johnny would be a fit though.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Not sure Cleveland will want a spread. Kelly and Johnny would be a fit though.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Let's please hope Pettine is still around next year or we're gonna get another round of the sports world laughing and peeing on us.

    That being said, if Manning says i'll be the OC if you hire Dungy as HC.....ok deal. Then people would understand why we fired Pettine. But if we fire pettine and go into beggar mode again, "pweeeeeessee come to Cleveland"....the franchise is done. We don't fire another head coach for YEARS without his replacement ready to go next day.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Yeah, that'd be a great fucking idea. Hire that choad after he falls on his ass in Philadelphia.

    WSS

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Kelly as HC? Neither of them...

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I think Chip Kelly can coach football, but he has proven he is incapable of managing a roster and calling all the shots personnel-wise. If he was willing to work for a GM, then he'd be worth another shot...

    That being said, I don't think Philly gets rid of him just yet...

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I fear his system has been figured out. His offense has sputtered big time this year. I would say no on Chip Kelly.

  • I'd be pretty happy with Dungy, and Manning as OC. Not that I think Flip deserves to go necessarily, but there's a dream ticket right there.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @gftchris said:

    I'd be pretty happy with Dungy, and Manning as OC. Not that I think Flip deserves to go necessarily, but there's a dream ticket right there.

    I would seriously eat my hat if Manning goes right from playing to being an OC. Why the hell would he want to do that? I just don't see it. Front office position for him, yeah I could see that happening but you really just don't see future HOF players taking coordinator jobs one year away from the playing field.

  • @gftchris said:

    I'd be pretty happy with Dungy, and Manning as OC. Not that I think Flip deserves to go necessarily, but there's a dream ticket right there.

    I would seriously eat my hat if Manning goes right from playing to being an OC. Why the hell would he want to do that? I just don't see it. Front office position for him, yeah I could see that happening but you really just don't see future HOF players taking coordinator jobs one year away from the playing field.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @mark-o said:

    I would seriously eat my hat if Manning goes right from playing to being an OC. Why the hell would he want to do that? I just don't see it. Front office position for him, yeah I could see that happening but you really just don't see future HOF players taking coordinator jobs one year away from the playing field.

    Oh I don't see it happening for sure, but it's been mooted. You've got to think with his robotic mechanics he'd be at least a great QB coach, and his reading of opposing Ds is good for play design/calling.

  • @mark-o said:

    I would seriously eat my hat if Manning goes right from playing to being an OC. Why the hell would he want to do that? I just don't see it. Front office position for him, yeah I could see that happening but you really just don't see future HOF players taking coordinator jobs one year away from the playing field.

    Oh I don't see it happening for sure, but it's been mooted. You've got to think with his robotic mechanics he'd be at least a great QB coach, and his reading of opposing Ds is good for play design/calling.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @gftchris said:

    Oh I don't see it happening for sure, but it's been mooted. You've got to think with his robotic mechanics he'd be at least a great QB coach, and his reading of opposing Ds is good for play design/calling.

    That's why I'd see him taking a front office position and then having the ability to help out with the planning and play calling.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I dont want either of them.. Dungy wouldnt have the same drive to win again..

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Kelly? Absolutely NO!

    Dungy? I have long been a Fan of his. Open the wallet Jimmy!

    Mike

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Two words: Bugger off.

    Yes, bugger....it means stick your dick in some guys asshole. 😠

  • Two words: Bugger off.

    Yes, bugger....it means stick your dick in some guys asshole. 😠

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @the-gipper said:

    Two words: Bugger off.

    Yes, bugger....it means stick your dick in some guys asshole. 😠

    One of a few meanings.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #22

    He has no appreciable skills, and makes up for it by being a contentious asshole.

    Not considered.

  • VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #23

    Chip Kelly imo runs an unreasonable offense for the nfl. There is a reason he's struggled since the one season he took the league by surprise. The Browns would need to change a large part of their team to make his quick offense work. Firing yet another coach is one of the bigger mistakes the Browns could make. When was the last coach that was actually able to make a mark on a team in Cleveland? Continuity and trust will go a long way with pettine. You can't keep white washing the process and expect something to miraculously change. You should hope that if haslam learned anything while part of the steelers it was that continuity is important. No way would I fire pettine after one season.

  • Chip Kelly imo runs an unreasonable offense for the nfl. There is a reason he's struggled since the one season he took the league by surprise. The Browns would need to change a large part of their team to make his quick offense work. Firing yet another coach is one of the bigger mistakes the Browns could make. When was the last coach that was actually able to make a mark on a team in Cleveland? Continuity and trust will go a long way with pettine. You can't keep white washing the process and expect something to miraculously change. You should hope that if haslam learned anything while part of the steelers it was that continuity is important. No way would I fire pettine after one season.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @vagitron said:

    Chip Kelly imo runs an unreasonable offense for the nfl. There is a reason he's struggled since the one season he took the league by surprise. The Browns would need to change a large part of their team to make his quick offense work. Firing yet another coach is one of the bigger mistakes the Browns could make. When was the last coach that was actually able to make a mark on a team in Cleveland? Continuity and trust will go a long way with pettine. You can't keep white washing the process and expect something to miraculously change. You should hope that if haslam learned anything while part of the steelers it was that continuity is important. No way would I fire letting after one season.

    I'm a big proponent for the element of surprise.. But Kelly's O is a bit like the Run and Shoot offenses of the 80's.(A fad Offense). That's pretty much how I see Kelly as running nothing more than a trick offense that will get sussed and and shut down in no time.. And that apparently seems to be the case.. I'm all for ingenuity. But, I think it has to make sense and it has to be based on some kind of structure and solid foundation.

  • @vagitron said:

    Chip Kelly imo runs an unreasonable offense for the nfl. There is a reason he's struggled since the one season he took the league by surprise. The Browns would need to change a large part of their team to make his quick offense work. Firing yet another coach is one of the bigger mistakes the Browns could make. When was the last coach that was actually able to make a mark on a team in Cleveland? Continuity and trust will go a long way with pettine. You can't keep white washing the process and expect something to miraculously change. You should hope that if haslam learned anything while part of the steelers it was that continuity is important. No way would I fire letting after one season.

    I'm a big proponent for the element of surprise.. But Kelly's O is a bit like the Run and Shoot offenses of the 80's.(A fad Offense). That's pretty much how I see Kelly as running nothing more than a trick offense that will get sussed and and shut down in no time.. And that apparently seems to be the case.. I'm all for ingenuity. But, I think it has to make sense and it has to be based on some kind of structure and solid foundation.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #25

    @nickers said:

    I'm a big proponent for the element of surprise.. But Kelly's O is a bit like the Run and Shoot offenses of the 80's.(A fad Offense). That's pretty much how I see Kelly as running nothing more than a trick offense that will get sussed and and shut down in no time.. And that apparently seems to be the case.. I'm all for ingenuity. But, I think it has to make sense and it has to be based on some kind of structure and solid foundation.

    His offense has already been figured out imo. He had success right out of the gate and that was all she wrote. It's also when Foles had his "break out" and what has he done since? Chip Kelly imo isn't a NFL head coach and if I were a browns fan he may be the last guy I'd want signed to a contract. The Browns need to keep pettine around. Give the guy another season or two because head coach musicial chairs has been going on for way too long in Cleveland. I think the only way I would fire Pettine is if a dream scenario came to head. Dungy or Cowher for example. I also have no idea why people are all excited for the Manning prospect. He may not even retire and i cant see him jumping into a coordinator role or a front office role immediately.