Mechanics of a trade.
-
The trade deadline was Nov. 3rd and even Farmer is not dumb enough to just cut him.
-
The trade deadline was Nov. 3rd and even Farmer is not dumb enough to just cut him.
The trade deadline was Nov. 3rd and even Farmer is not dumb enough to just cut him.
I understand about the trade deadline......but I don't think that means that there is an absolute prohibition against making a trade. There may be other necessary hoops to jump through....but to just say "trades are verboten" I don't think is accurate.
-
The trade deadline was Nov. 3rd and even Farmer is not dumb enough to just cut him.
I understand about the trade deadline......but I don't think that means that there is an absolute prohibition against making a trade. There may be other necessary hoops to jump through....but to just say "trades are verboten" I don't think is accurate.
I understand about the trade deadline......but I don't think that means that there is an absolute prohibition against making a trade. There may be other necessary hoops to jump through....but to just say "trades are verboten" I don't think is accurate.
I mean...they can't be made.
We have no way of knowing what they talk about, but a trade can't be made until draft day.
-
I found this:
Usually, there is fairly little activity on this day and almost no star players are ever dealt to other clubs on the sixth week of the season. The early deadline, along with players having to learn a whole new system on the fly, along with the salary cap often makes it difficult to make blockbuster trades on this day, unlike most other sports. Like in MLB, post-deadline trades are allowed in the NFL, but only via waivers.
So, it seems trades can be made, but there is a waiver claim process. I guess, if JFF were attempted to be traded to the Cowboys....or anyone, it could be blocked by another team putting in a waiver claim (Why would they?). The the Browns would have to pull him back off the trading block and wait until the offseason to make that trade.....which is when I suspect that they would wait for anyway.
-
I understand about the trade deadline......but I don't think that means that there is an absolute prohibition against making a trade. There may be other necessary hoops to jump through....but to just say "trades are verboten" I don't think is accurate.
I mean...they can't be made.
We have no way of knowing what they talk about, but a trade can't be made until draft day.
I mean...they can't be made.
We have no way of knowing what they talk about, but a trade can't be made until draft day.
I don't think so.....like I said above.....they can be made if the player goes through waivers.
-
Very interesting and Johnny Football is also a native of Texas.
-
Very interesting and Johnny Football is also a native of Texas.
Very interesting and Johnny Football is also a native of Texas.
Yes, Kerrville. Near San Antonio. My brother used to live there. (before JMZ was born)
-
I mean...they can't be made.
We have no way of knowing what they talk about, but a trade can't be made until draft day.
I don't think so.....like I said above.....they can be made if the player goes through waivers.
I don't think so.....like I said above.....they can be made if the player goes through waivers.
What you are describing is just the waiver process. It is a "trade" insofar as the player does not reach free agency, but it's not a "trade" as the team giving up a player doesn't receive anything in return.
In the NFL, after the trade deadline is passed - any single player that is cut, regardless of how long they have been in the league, must clear waivers in order to be picked up by another team. This is a process to ensure fair competitive balance in the league.
At no point after week 8 can I give you a player and receive anything in return from you. All I can do is cut the player and send him to waivers.
So...no. They can't trade Manziel to Dallas right now. Not until draft day.
-
I don't think so.....like I said above.....they can be made if the player goes through waivers.
What you are describing is just the waiver process. It is a "trade" insofar as the player does not reach free agency, but it's not a "trade" as the team giving up a player doesn't receive anything in return.
In the NFL, after the trade deadline is passed - any single player that is cut, regardless of how long they have been in the league, must clear waivers in order to be picked up by another team. This is a process to ensure fair competitive balance in the league.
At no point after week 8 can I give you a player and receive anything in return from you. All I can do is cut the player and send him to waivers.
So...no. They can't trade Manziel to Dallas right now. Not until draft day.
What you are describing is just the waiver process. It is a "trade" insofar as the player does not reach free agency, but it's not a "trade" as the team giving up a player doesn't receive anything in return.
In the NFL, after the trade deadline is passed - any single player that is cut, regardless of how long they have been in the league, must clear waivers in order to be picked up by another team. This is a process to ensure fair competitive balance in the league.
At no point after week 8 can I give you a player and receive anything in return from you. All I can do is cut the player and send him to waivers.
So...no. They can't trade Manziel to Dallas right now. Not until draft day.
Again, I don't believe that is true. The source I looked at said otherwise.
I think you can make a trade, but you must subject the players to the waiver wire. If no one makes a claim on any of the players, it can happen. If someone makes a claim then they can block the trade.
-
Not sure if this helps. It may only apply to players that are cut:
http://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-players/nfl-waiver-system-overview/
-
What you are describing is just the waiver process. It is a "trade" insofar as the player does not reach free agency, but it's not a "trade" as the team giving up a player doesn't receive anything in return.
In the NFL, after the trade deadline is passed - any single player that is cut, regardless of how long they have been in the league, must clear waivers in order to be picked up by another team. This is a process to ensure fair competitive balance in the league.
At no point after week 8 can I give you a player and receive anything in return from you. All I can do is cut the player and send him to waivers.
So...no. They can't trade Manziel to Dallas right now. Not until draft day.
Again, I don't believe that is true. The source I looked at said otherwise.
I think you can make a trade, but you must subject the players to the waiver wire. If no one makes a claim on any of the players, it can happen. If someone makes a claim then they can block the trade.
Again, I don't believe that is true. The source I looked at said otherwise.
I think you can make a trade, but you must subject the players to the waiver wire. If no one makes a claim on any of the players, it can happen. If someone makes a claim then they can block the trade.
It is true. That's how the NFL works - it's how it's worked for years.
The "source" you quoted was Wikipedia. Go check it again and tell me what it reads.
-
On a similar note he can't really talk to Nick Saban or Jon Gruden until after the Super Bowl, or can he?
WSS
-
Again, I don't believe that is true. The source I looked at said otherwise.
I think you can make a trade, but you must subject the players to the waiver wire. If no one makes a claim on any of the players, it can happen. If someone makes a claim then they can block the trade.
It is true. That's how the NFL works - it's how it's worked for years.
The "source" you quoted was Wikipedia. Go check it again and tell me what it reads.
It is true. That's how the NFL works - it's how it's worked for years.
The "source" you quoted was Wikipedia. Go check it again and tell me what it reads.
Its says that post trade deadline trades are allowed, but only via waivers.
I don't know about you....but allowed means allowed.
-
On a similar note he can't really talk to Nick Saban or Jon Gruden until after the Super Bowl, or can he?
WSS
On a similar note he can't really talk to Nick Saban or Jon Gruden until after the Super Bowl, or can he?
WSS
The owner can absolutely talk to those guys as far as I know They are not under contract with another NFL team, which is where the prohibition lies.
I do not believe there is a prohibition from talking to a guy about a future coaching job if he is under contract with a college or a network.
But, obviously the owner must tread lightly and perhaps engage in a little subterfuge....in order to not let rumors fly.
But....I guess that is too late in this case.
-
It is true. That's how the NFL works - it's how it's worked for years.
The "source" you quoted was Wikipedia. Go check it again and tell me what it reads.
Its says that post trade deadline trades are allowed, but only via waivers.
I don't know about you....but allowed means allowed.
Its says that post trade deadline trades are allowed, but only via waivers.
I don't know about you....but allowed means allowed.
Usually, there is fairly little activity on this day and almost no star players are ever dealt to other clubs on the sixth week of the season. The early deadline, along with players having to learn a whole new system on the fly, along with the salary cap often makes it difficult to make blockbuster trades on this day, unlike most other sports. Post deadline trades are not allowed.
It's funny, because that's what I see.
-
All NFL trades have to be approved by the league office. A "waiver trade" in essence has to be approved by 30 individual teams.
Since the waiver route is only players, there is no ability to use pick(s) to balance the trade.
Finally add that once placed on waivers the player is not subject to recall and the end result is that no player of any value is going that route.
Aside: I seem to remember players being "recalled" from waivers quite a bit in the 60's. May have been around the old process of moving players from the roster to the "taxi squad".
-
Gip, if you have to wait until the guy clears waivers in order to trade him (which is not the case), then why wouldn't the Cowboys just grab him in waivers? Then they wouldn't owe us anything. This is simple. Trades aren't allowed after the deadline. Unless "via waivers" means you have to get a waiver from the league in order to do it, lol.
-
Gip, you can claim trades are allowed after the deadline if you can convince yourself that waiving someone is a real trade. We get nothing in return for waiving anyone, surely you know that by now?
-
-
You can see a scenario where two teams would each agree to each put a certain player on waivers.
It's just hard to see a scenario where such a "deal" could make its way to the intended exchange.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login