Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Interesting question

Interesting question

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
53 Posts 19 Posters 1.5k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #1

    A scenario I heard on the radio recently, thought it was interesting.

    You are somewhere around the water and a stranger and your pet are drowning.

    You can probably only save one.

    (a survey has been taken at once approximately 1/3 pet 1/3 stranger + 1/3 don't know)

    But his question to ponder with this:

    Without religion how do you choose?

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 5k Posts
      • 306 Reputation
      B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Pretty simple you save the pet and no religion needed.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • OldBrownsFan OldBrownsFanO
        • 11k Posts
        • 3k Reputation
        OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I have two dachshunds I love to pieces and I can tell you if possible I would save a human life over them without question or hesitation at any time.

        W 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan

          I have two dachshunds I love to pieces and I can tell you if possible I would save a human life over them without question or hesitation at any time.

          Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
          • 39k Posts
          • 9k Reputation
          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @oldbrownsfan said:

          I have two dachshunds I love to pieces and I can tell you if possible I would save a human life over them without question or hesitation at any time.

          I'm pretty sure the key to the fellows question was without religion how could you make that choice?

          WSS

          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
          OldBrownsFanO 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • W Westside Steve

            @oldbrownsfan said:

            I have two dachshunds I love to pieces and I can tell you if possible I would save a human life over them without question or hesitation at any time.

            I'm pretty sure the key to the fellows question was without religion how could you make that choice?

            WSS

            OldBrownsFan OldBrownsFanO
            • 11k Posts
            • 3k Reputation
            OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @westside-steve said:

            I'm pretty sure the key to the fellows question was without religion how could you make that choice?

            WSS

            Same way. Even without religion I would place the value of a human life way above an animal, even a pet.

            W 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan

              @westside-steve said:

              I'm pretty sure the key to the fellows question was without religion how could you make that choice?

              WSS

              Same way. Even without religion I would place the value of a human life way above an animal, even a pet.

              Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
              • 39k Posts
              • 9k Reputation
              W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @oldbrownsfan said:

              Same way. Even without religion I would place the value of a human life way above an animal, even a pet.

              Why?

              I'm not being a dick and neither was he but...

              I love my cat, that guy means nothing to me. See what I'm getting at?

              WSS

              www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
              OldBrownsFanO 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • W Westside Steve

                @oldbrownsfan said:

                Same way. Even without religion I would place the value of a human life way above an animal, even a pet.

                Why?

                I'm not being a dick and neither was he but...

                I love my cat, that guy means nothing to me. See what I'm getting at?

                WSS

                OldBrownsFan OldBrownsFanO
                • 11k Posts
                • 3k Reputation
                OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @westside-steve said:

                Why?

                I'm not being a dick and neither was he but...

                I love my cat, that guy means nothing to me. See what I'm getting at?

                WSS

                That stranger is someone else's son, or father, or brother. My conscience would never allow an animal to take priority over a human life. Even with religion out of the picture humans have consciences.

                W 1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                Quote Reply
                • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
                  • 33k Posts
                  • 3k Reputation
                  MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  Without religion there are no morals. No idea of right and wrong.

                  So I'd have to say I'd let both drown.

                  Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
                  C 1 Reply Last reply
                  👍
                  Quote Reply
                  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                    • 39k Posts
                    • 9k Reputation
                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    morals?

                    WSS

                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan

                      @westside-steve said:

                      Why?

                      I'm not being a dick and neither was he but...

                      I love my cat, that guy means nothing to me. See what I'm getting at?

                      WSS

                      That stranger is someone else's son, or father, or brother. My conscience would never allow an animal to take priority over a human life. Even with religion out of the picture humans have consciences.

                      Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                      • 39k Posts
                      • 9k Reputation
                      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @oldbrownsfan said:

                      That stranger is someone else's son, or father, or brother. My conscience would never allow an animal to take priority over a human life. Even with religion out of the picture humans have consciences.

                      So conscience is innate not learned?

                      WSS

                      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                      OsirisO OldBrownsFanO 2 Replies Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • StinkHole StinkHoleS One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 3k Posts
                        • 365 Reputation
                        StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Stuart

                        Didn't say without ideologies so if the person was a liberal I'd save the pet.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • W Westside Steve

                          @oldbrownsfan said:

                          That stranger is someone else's son, or father, or brother. My conscience would never allow an animal to take priority over a human life. Even with religion out of the picture humans have consciences.

                          So conscience is innate not learned?

                          WSS

                          Osiris OsirisO Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 2k Posts
                          • 125 Reputation
                          OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @westside-steve said:

                          So conscience is innate not learned?

                          WSS

                          I believe so. We all experience pain and pleasure and can empathize with others. These are all innate traits of the species. Religion IMO is of secondary relevance to the question. It would be heart-wrenching especially as I love my dog but I think I'd have to save the human.

                          "I said, 'I need someone who's going to want to get on the roller coaster with me knowing that it's not always going to be fun,'" -Paul DePodesta
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • W Westside Steve

                            @oldbrownsfan said:

                            That stranger is someone else's son, or father, or brother. My conscience would never allow an animal to take priority over a human life. Even with religion out of the picture humans have consciences.

                            So conscience is innate not learned?

                            WSS

                            OldBrownsFan OldBrownsFanO
                            • 11k Posts
                            • 3k Reputation
                            OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @westside-steve said:

                            So conscience is innate not learned?

                            WSS

                            Perhaps both. I do believe we get shaped by our environments and circumstances as well.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 9k Posts
                              • 1k Reputation
                              bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Depends on the person.

                              Are we talking Jeffrey Dahmer or a big chested brunette.

                              Typically I'd say saving the person is a no brainer. If they were like 80 years old I may opt for the pet though.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                • 39k Posts
                                • 9k Reputation
                                W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                The way I heard it framed it is a stranger.

                                WSS

                                www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • One Post One PostO
                                  • 4k Posts
                                  • 284 Reputation
                                  One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Be reasonable.

                                  If the stranger is a hot chick you save her.

                                  Kidding of course.

                                  Save the stranger. In the court of law it might be negligent to choose an animal over human life. The courts are based around religion so that would be the deal breaker.

                                  https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                    • 15k Posts
                                    • 2k Reputation
                                    T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    A kid is a no brainer. I guess I'd save an adult too but more reluctantly.

                                    Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                      • 39k Posts
                                      • 9k Reputation
                                      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                                      #18

                                      And Cysko that's the heart of the question.

                                      The stranger means nothing to you, the dog has been your friend for years who count on you and loves you and trusts you and would probably give his life to protect you.

                                      If you never saw the stranger again or if he got run over by a bus next week you wouldn't care. Losing your dog would break your heart for a long time.

                                      And there is no natural reason for you to behave otherwise than save your friend the dog.

                                      Why would you behave in an unnatural manner, hurting yourself?

                                      And think about it whether you call it religion or philosophy or some vague moral set of made up rules it's all about denying what you want for some ethereal higher power.

                                      WSS

                                      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                      B 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                        • 15k Posts
                                        • 2k Reputation
                                        T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Steve Buscemi the dachshund is family. That little dog would undoubtably take a bullet for me.

                                        Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                        C 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • W Westside Steve

                                          And Cysko that's the heart of the question.

                                          The stranger means nothing to you, the dog has been your friend for years who count on you and loves you and trusts you and would probably give his life to protect you.

                                          If you never saw the stranger again or if he got run over by a bus next week you wouldn't care. Losing your dog would break your heart for a long time.

                                          And there is no natural reason for you to behave otherwise than save your friend the dog.

                                          Why would you behave in an unnatural manner, hurting yourself?

                                          And think about it whether you call it religion or philosophy or some vague moral set of made up rules it's all about denying what you want for some ethereal higher power.

                                          WSS

                                          BaconHound B One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 5k Posts
                                          • 306 Reputation
                                          B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @westside-steve said:

                                          And Cysko that's the heart of the question.

                                          The stranger means nothing to you, the dog has been your friend for years who count on you and loves you and trusts you and would probably give his life to protect you.

                                          If you never saw the stranger again or if he got run over by a bus next week you wouldn't care. Losing your dog would break your heart for a long time.

                                          And there is no natural reason for you to behave otherwise than save your friend the dog.

                                          Why would you behave in an unnatural manner, hurting yourself?

                                          And think about it whether you call it religion or philosophy or some vague moral set of made up rules it's all about denying what you want for some ethereal higher power.

                                          WSS

                                          What is natural for some is not for others. Some view pets as family members, some as property and others view them as tools.

                                          I don't think it's unnatural to save a family member over a stranger.

                                          W 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate