Skip to content

Goff Or Lynch @2?

The Browns Board
156 37 4.4k
  • @westside-steve said:

    Andy Dalton's been there for what, 4 years, right?

    Mare Lewis?

    WSS

    5 years, 5 playoffs.

    Do you think if Quinn or Weeden was drafted onto Marv Lewis' team instead of ours they would have the same success?

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    5 years, 5 playoffs.

    Do you think if Quinn or Weeden was drafted onto Marv Lewis' team instead of ours they would have the same success?

    Zombo

    Yes, Mr Z, I do. I'm not so sure about Brady Quinn, but I like the guy just because he's a Buckeye native, and he's Irish and a very distant cousin is related to me from Carroll County. But I think any quarterback drafted in the first round onto a solid team and stays there for many years has a hell of a better shot then a guy with one year of an offensive program a second year of a different one and then the shit can.

    And I certainly think Brandon Weeden would have benefited from 5 years on a good team.

    WSS

  • Neither , Trade Manziel straight up to the Rams for Sean Mannion and draft Defense and Wide Receivers.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The only reason I would pass on him is because I believe Wentz has the same upside...

    Can't argue with that as I have not looked hard at Wentz yet.

    @tour2ma said:

    Can't argue with that as I have not looked hard at Wentz yet.

    He has flashes of brilliance, in what I've watched thus far. Goff is a more natural thrower, but the ball comes off with just as much zip as it does from Goff.

    He's more of a project, but I really do like him.

    @bbedward said:

    I'm not so sure. If we pass on Goff Jerry Jones might do something silly (and taking Goff), but I could see Wentz surpassing Lynch.

    I could see Wentz going by #15 to the Rams, but also see him going no later than #22 to the Texans.

    Would we really want to trade up to #22 to draft a quarterback?

    We don't have much experience moving up to #22 for a quarterback.

  • @tacosman said:

    your opinion of Goff is much much higher than the consensus opinion of him currently. Which is that he is probably the top qb in the class(about 25-30% of experts still like lynch better) and will be a high first round pick, but that is due more to the fact that teams always push up the top qbs because of need. Both jameis and mariota were getting higher grades than Goff or Lynch. Goff is being graded right now as being much closer to a top 5 overall pick like a blake bortles than a luck or manning.

    Not saying Goff won't turn out to be very good(or very poor...I have no idea), but there is definately not some consensus out there from the experts that he is a super duper elite qb prospect.

    It's January, so let's give it some time. I think the hype train will start to build as more people watch film and study his game - also after he throws at the combine and such.

    I'm not sure who is, but seems like to me everybody is saying Goff is the top prospect - anybody still saying Lynch is probably out of their mind anyway.

    He has very few flaws, I haven't really seen anybody saying anything significantly bad about him other than "Utah!" - which was a bad game, but it's much worse on paper than it actually looks on film.

    We just need a franchise guy who can be good for many years, not necessarily a Peyton or Luck.

    Bortles is OK, but I don't think he's really comparable to Goff in terms of the type of prospect he was.

    @bbedward said:

    It's January, so let's give it some time. I think the hype train will start to build as more people watch film and study his game - also after he throws at the combine and such.

    I'm not sure who is, but seems like to me everybody is saying Goff is the top prospect - anybody still saying Lynch is probably out of their mind anyway.

    He has very few flaws, I haven't really seen anybody saying anything significantly bad about him other than "Utah!" - which was a bad game, but it's much worse on paper than it actually looks on film.

    We just need a franchise guy who can be good for many years, not necessarily a Peyton or Luck.

    Bortles is OK, but I don't think he's really comparable to Goff in terms of the type of prospect he was.

    heck until the birmingham bowl where lynch sucked, lynch was listed as 1 and goff 2 in terms of qb rankings on the espn ticker(which either tracks mcshay or kiper...cant remember which). Bortles' grade is going to be pretty similar to Goff. And of course goff is going to get a lot of hype....just as any top 10 overall qb will get leading up to the draft. So did joey harrington, mark sanchez, byron leftwich, etc.....it's not going to be as much positive hype surrounding goff comign out as jameis or mariota last year. Everything I read is saying neither qb in this years class has as much hype or is thought to be as good as those two coming out. This yeah goff will likely be the first qb off the board(and due to need at the position a very high pick no doubt which will garner some attention), but he's just not drawing the sort of raves nationally that the more famous prospects over the years have....

  • @bbedward said:

    It's January, so let's give it some time. I think the hype train will start to build as more people watch film and study his game - also after he throws at the combine and such.

    I'm not sure who is, but seems like to me everybody is saying Goff is the top prospect - anybody still saying Lynch is probably out of their mind anyway.

    He has very few flaws, I haven't really seen anybody saying anything significantly bad about him other than "Utah!" - which was a bad game, but it's much worse on paper than it actually looks on film.

    We just need a franchise guy who can be good for many years, not necessarily a Peyton or Luck.

    Bortles is OK, but I don't think he's really comparable to Goff in terms of the type of prospect he was.

    heck until the birmingham bowl where lynch sucked, lynch was listed as 1 and goff 2 in terms of qb rankings on the espn ticker(which either tracks mcshay or kiper...cant remember which). Bortles' grade is going to be pretty similar to Goff. And of course goff is going to get a lot of hype....just as any top 10 overall qb will get leading up to the draft. So did joey harrington, mark sanchez, byron leftwich, etc.....it's not going to be as much positive hype surrounding goff comign out as jameis or mariota last year. Everything I read is saying neither qb in this years class has as much hype or is thought to be as good as those two coming out. This yeah goff will likely be the first qb off the board(and due to need at the position a very high pick no doubt which will garner some attention), but he's just not drawing the sort of raves nationally that the more famous prospects over the years have....

    @tacosman said:

    but he's just not drawing the sort of raves nationally that the more famous prospects over the years have....

    Not exactly the best way to evaluate a prospect.

    Idk about the Bortles comparison. You're comparing raves/ratings and stuff - when I look at the players Bortles and Goff are two pretty different types of quarterbacks.

    Goff is a franchise QB. Won't be a journey man, won't be a bench rider. Not only that, but his ceiling is pretty damn high too.

    If I'm Hue, he's my guy.

  • Zombo said:

    5 years, 5 playoffs.

    Do you think if Quinn or Weeden was drafted onto Marv Lewis' team instead of ours they would have the same success?

    Zombo

    Quinn yes, Weeden no.

    Andy Dalton isn't transcendent talent. He's a smart, accurate QB with some balls on him surrounded by some talented players and coached by a smart coach.

    I'd venture that 14-18 active QB's could do the same there.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Quinn yes, Weeden no.

    Andy Dalton isn't transcendent talent. He's a smart, accurate QB with some balls on him surrounded by some talented players and coached by a smart coach.

    I'd venture that 14-18 active QB's could do the same there.

    And one inactive one, apparently.

    Zombo

    --Brady Quinn? Really??

  • Neither. We get Bosa and trade for a QB. But I know Hue Jackson likes Goff in the second round. A little early to predict his status.

  • Zombo said:

    5 years, 5 playoffs.

    Do you think if Quinn or Weeden was drafted onto Marv Lewis' team instead of ours they would have the same success?

    Zombo

    Yes, Mr Z, I do. I'm not so sure about Brady Quinn, but I like the guy just because he's a Buckeye native, and he's Irish and a very distant cousin is related to me from Carroll County. But I think any quarterback drafted in the first round onto a solid team and stays there for many years has a hell of a better shot then a guy with one year of an offensive program a second year of a different one and then the shit can.

    And I certainly think Brandon Weeden would have benefited from 5 years on a good team.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Yes, Mr Z, I do. I'm not so sure about Brady Quinn, but I like the guy just because he's a Buckeye native, and he's Irish and a very distant cousin is related to me from Carroll County. But I think any quarterback drafted in the first round onto a solid team and stays there for many years has a hell of a better shot then a guy with one year of an offensive program a second year of a different one and then the shit can.

    And I certainly think Brandon Weeden would have benefited from 5 years on a good team.

    WSS

    ...and then applied for Social Security.

    Well, let's hope Hue builds that strong team and the QB we brings in gets that patience, because if he is good enough, then we'll be that team with that guy.

    Zombo

  • He will probably get more patience if they overpay for him. The perception will be that he's more valuable.

    WSS

  • Hugh Jackson will make a deal for AJ McCarron. AJ knows the system and we're a step ahead at the gate.

  • Hugh Jackson will make a deal for AJ McCarron. AJ knows the system and we're a step ahead at the gate.

    @wahoodawg said:

    Hugh Jackson will make a deal for AJ McCarron. AJ knows the system and we're a step ahead at the gate.

    No.

    Zombo

  • Hugh Jackson will make a deal for AJ McCarron. AJ knows the system and we're a step ahead at the gate.

    @wahoodawg said:

    Hugh Jackson will make a deal for AJ McCarron. AJ knows the system and we're a step ahead at the gate.

    Ha!.....doubt that will happen.....

    Browns and Bungles wont be making any deals with each other anytime soon....

    AND....if the Bungles were willing to trade him to their rivals..... then wouldnt you wonder why?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Quinn yes, Weeden no.

    Andy Dalton isn't transcendent talent. He's a smart, accurate QB with some balls on him surrounded by some talented players and coached by a smart coach.

    I'd venture that 14-18 active QB's could do the same there.

    And one inactive one, apparently.

    Zombo

    --Brady Quinn? Really??

    Zombo said:

    And one inactive one, apparently.

    Zombo

    --Brady Quinn? Really??

    Surround Brady Quinn with enough talent and he'd be fine.

    It's how he excelled at Notre Dame.

  • I agree 100% TCPO. I all so feel that if we had a Tom Brady at QB he would make guys like us look like Pro Bowl wide outs. It has been to long since we knew what it was like to win. The closest was 07 when we had Anderception as our QB but it was bullshit, We had a guy who was way past his prime in JJ a wanna be star in K2 and our number 1 wr was BE who only caught a pass when he felt like it but they kept us in the games. I just want wins and I want them now.

  • @gftchris said:

    Agree. Put Andy Dalton on the Browns and he would have been cut after 2 years.

    Does a Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden become a star with the Bengals and take them to the playoffs five straight years?

    I lean more toward we have drafted shitty QBs than our shitty team has ruined QBs.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Does a Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden become a star with the Bengals and take them to the playoffs five straight years?

    I lean more toward we have drafted shitty QBs than our shitty team has ruined QBs.

    Zombo

    Denial is a river in Egypt. At least you and JM have one thing in common. 😆

  • Zombo said:

    And one inactive one, apparently.

    Zombo

    --Brady Quinn? Really??

    Surround Brady Quinn with enough talent and he'd be fine.

    It's how he excelled at Notre Dame.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Surround Brady Quinn with enough talent and he'd be fine.

    It's how he excelled at Notre Dame.

    Ok.

    Good call. He was good in college.

    Zombo

  • Zombo said:

    Does a Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden become a star with the Bengals and take them to the playoffs five straight years?

    I lean more toward we have drafted shitty QBs than our shitty team has ruined QBs.

    Zombo

    Denial is a river in Egypt. At least you and JM have one thing in common. 😆

    @texasag1969 said:

    Denial is a river in Egypt. At least you and JM have one thing in common. 😆

    ??? You think Quinn and Weeden are good QBs that were ruined by the Browns?

    Zombo

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Denial is a river in Egypt. At least you and JM have one thing in common. 😆

    ??? You think Quinn and Weeden are good QBs that were ruined by the Browns?

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    ??? You think Quinn and Weeden are good QBs that were ruined by the Browns?

    Zombo

    Just pulling your chain Z. Some days you're too easy. 😁

  • I agree 100% TCPO. I all so feel that if we had a Tom Brady at QB he would make guys like us look like Pro Bowl wide outs. It has been to long since we knew what it was like to win. The closest was 07 when we had Anderception as our QB but it was bullshit, We had a guy who was way past his prime in JJ a wanna be star in K2 and our number 1 wr was BE who only caught a pass when he felt like it but they kept us in the games. I just want wins and I want them now.

    @medicineman said:

    I agree 100% TCPO. I all so feel that if we had a Tom Brady at QB he would make guys like us look like Pro Bowl wide outs. It has been to long since we knew what it was like to win. The closest was 07 when we had Anderception as our QB but it was bullshit, We had a guy who was way past his prime in JJ a wanna be star in K2 and our number 1 wr was BE who only caught a pass when he felt like it but they kept us in the games. I just want wins and I want them now.

    I'm of the firm belief that, on almost any passing play in the NFL, every WR is open at some point.

    • A smart QB knows when his wide receiver is open, where he'll be open at and can deliver it. There are maybe 12-15 of these QB's in the league. Neither Anderson nor Quinn were generally smart QB's.
    • An accurate QB can throw with such pinpoint accuracy that he will throw his WR open even . There are maybe 8 of these QB's in the league. Neither Anderson nor Quinn were generally accurate QB's.
    • A smart, accurate QB does both - there are maybe 3-5 of these QB's. These are the guys who can excel with anyone, anywhere, anytime.

    If you aren't one of the above mentioned QB's, you better sure as shit have some great WR's, a RB who can keep the defense honest, or a TE that can snag some balls - Dalton happens to have all three.

    I'm not saying Dalton isn't talented, because he is. He's a good quarterback and I wouldn't mind at all if we had him. But he benefits tremendously from just having great talent around him.

  • Hugh Jackson will make a deal for AJ McCarron. AJ knows the system and we're a step ahead at the gate.

    @wahoodawg said:

    Hugh Jackson will make a deal for AJ McCarron. AJ knows the system and we're a step ahead at the gate.

    And what should we be willing to part with to land this former 5th round pick who is now apparently a key part of our future?

    Seeing as how AJ was my 2014 Darkhorse, I'm as big an AJ fan as there is here. But folks here really need to suppress their reflexive, "flavor-of-the month", inner GM...