Today's Analytics Presser... Sashi And Paul Take The Stage
-
What if the conclusion is, "They never hired a baseball guy to analyze football"?

What if the conclusion is, "They never hired a baseball guy to analyze football"?

lol... of course, that also applies to teams that have never turned around...
-
History shall be made this year folks ?
-
History shall be made this year folks
I don't know, but it should be fun to watch how it all plays out. I suspect that we will see picks that stick to most boards. I doubt we will see guys thought of as 6th rounders being picked in round 3 or anything like that. I think the process will shine by not allowing one guys ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
Based on what we have seen from "football" guys the last 10 years, why not see if crunching numbers helps us find a edge? I don't think one needs to be a football guy to identify good football players. Us as fans can usually spot guys who are better than other players, and we aren't football guys.
The scouts will file reports. They are football guys. They will put a grade on hundreds of players. Then cross checkers will see if they agree or not on any who's grade may not be in line with conventional wisdom. Teams also employ independant scouting services that all the teams can tap in to...a form of cross checking. There are plenty of "football" eyes on all of these players before our front office starts making decisions. It doesn't take a football guy to make those decisions. It take a guy or team of guys to make a logical decision and keep personal desire to rule the day. This will prevent moments like Mike Holmgren stepping in, exerting his desire and grabbing Brandon Weeden when we did when all the information we amassed indicated we could wait to make that pick.
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
-
History shall be made this year folks
I don't know, but it should be fun to watch how it all plays out. I suspect that we will see picks that stick to most boards. I doubt we will see guys thought of as 6th rounders being picked in round 3 or anything like that. I think the process will shine by not allowing one guys ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
Based on what we have seen from "football" guys the last 10 years, why not see if crunching numbers helps us find a edge? I don't think one needs to be a football guy to identify good football players. Us as fans can usually spot guys who are better than other players, and we aren't football guys.
The scouts will file reports. They are football guys. They will put a grade on hundreds of players. Then cross checkers will see if they agree or not on any who's grade may not be in line with conventional wisdom. Teams also employ independant scouting services that all the teams can tap in to...a form of cross checking. There are plenty of "football" eyes on all of these players before our front office starts making decisions. It doesn't take a football guy to make those decisions. It take a guy or team of guys to make a logical decision and keep personal desire to rule the day. This will prevent moments like Mike Holmgren stepping in, exerting his desire and grabbing Brandon Weeden when we did when all the information we amassed indicated we could wait to make that pick.
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
I don't know, but it should be fun to watch how it all plays out. I suspect that we will see picks that stick to most boards. I doubt we will see guys thought of as 6th rounders being picked in round 3 or anything like that. I think the process will shine by not allowing one guys ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
Based on what we have seen from "football" guys the last 10 years, why not see if crunching numbers helps us find a edge? I don't think one needs to be a football guy to identify good football players. Us as fans can usually spot guys who are better than other players, and we aren't football guys.
The scouts will file reports. They are football guys. They will put a grade on hundreds of players. Then cross checkers will see if they agree or not on any who's grade may not be in line with conventional wisdom. Teams also employ independant scouting services that all the teams can tap in to...a form of cross checking. There are plenty of "football" eyes on all of these players before our front office starts making decisions. It doesn't take a football guy to make those decisions. It take a guy or team of guys to make a logical decision and keep personal desire to rule the day. This will prevent moments like Mike Holmgren stepping in, exerting his desire and grabbing Brandon Weeden when we did when all the information we amassed indicated we could wait to make that pick.
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
I completely agree. They're going to be making decisions based on a wide variety of factors and there won't be someone's ego making the choice and that should avoid the Weeden and Manziel and other mistakes that have been made over the years.
-
I don't know, but it should be fun to watch how it all plays out. I suspect that we will see picks that stick to most boards. I doubt we will see guys thought of as 6th rounders being picked in round 3 or anything like that. I think the process will shine by not allowing one guys ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
Based on what we have seen from "football" guys the last 10 years, why not see if crunching numbers helps us find a edge? I don't think one needs to be a football guy to identify good football players. Us as fans can usually spot guys who are better than other players, and we aren't football guys.
The scouts will file reports. They are football guys. They will put a grade on hundreds of players. Then cross checkers will see if they agree or not on any who's grade may not be in line with conventional wisdom. Teams also employ independant scouting services that all the teams can tap in to...a form of cross checking. There are plenty of "football" eyes on all of these players before our front office starts making decisions. It doesn't take a football guy to make those decisions. It take a guy or team of guys to make a logical decision and keep personal desire to rule the day. This will prevent moments like Mike Holmgren stepping in, exerting his desire and grabbing Brandon Weeden when we did when all the information we amassed indicated we could wait to make that pick.
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
I completely agree. They're going to be making decisions based on a wide variety of factors and there won't be someone's ego making the choice and that should avoid the Weeden and Manziel and other mistakes that have been made over the years.
I completely agree. They're going to be making decisions based on a wide variety of factors and there won't be someone's ego making the choice and that should avoid the Weeden and Manziel and other mistakes that have been made over the years.
And of course the ego that has to be suppressed most of all is that of the owner. But then he is the guy that brought all these guys in....so, maybe: Mission Accomplished?
(Premature Ejaculatory statement? Just like W?)
-
History shall be made this year folks
I don't know, but it should be fun to watch how it all plays out. I suspect that we will see picks that stick to most boards. I doubt we will see guys thought of as 6th rounders being picked in round 3 or anything like that. I think the process will shine by not allowing one guys ego to interfere with making sound football decisions.
Based on what we have seen from "football" guys the last 10 years, why not see if crunching numbers helps us find a edge? I don't think one needs to be a football guy to identify good football players. Us as fans can usually spot guys who are better than other players, and we aren't football guys.
The scouts will file reports. They are football guys. They will put a grade on hundreds of players. Then cross checkers will see if they agree or not on any who's grade may not be in line with conventional wisdom. Teams also employ independant scouting services that all the teams can tap in to...a form of cross checking. There are plenty of "football" eyes on all of these players before our front office starts making decisions. It doesn't take a football guy to make those decisions. It take a guy or team of guys to make a logical decision and keep personal desire to rule the day. This will prevent moments like Mike Holmgren stepping in, exerting his desire and grabbing Brandon Weeden when we did when all the information we amassed indicated we could wait to make that pick.
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
And how does that apply now as we see the lean of the Browns towards going with a QB @ #2 overall this early in the process and well before the analytics are done? They have not yet studied the new assignment too determine what made for turnarounds, but yet there has been a lot of info out there towards a QB. Hmmmmm. Will they really let the process make that decision or will they do another Holgren gut decision?
And will they look at key draft picks before the turnarounds? Hope so. I think they will find a lot of defensive picks there. But just my gut reaction.

-
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
And how does that apply now as we see the lean of the Browns towards going with a QB @ #2 overall this early in the process and well before the analytics are done? They have not yet studied the new assignment too determine what made for turnarounds, but yet there has been a lot of info out there towards a QB. Hmmmmm. Will they really let the process make that decision or will they do another Holgren gut decision?
And will they look at key draft picks before the turnarounds? Hope so. I think they will find a lot of defensive picks there. But just my gut reaction.

And how does that apply now as we see the lean of the Browns towards going with a QB @ #2 overall this early in the process and well before the analytics are done? They have not yet studied the new assignment too determine what made for turnarounds, but yet there has been a lot of info out there towards a QB. Hmmmmm. Will they really let the process make that decision or will they do another Holgren gut decision?
And will they look at key draft picks before the turnarounds? Hope so. I think they will find a lot of defensive picks there. But just my gut reaction.

I think it's a symptom of you either have a franchise QB or you're looking for one. If they think Goff (or Lynch or Wentz) is that guy, you have to take them at #2 this year. You have a guy in McCown who could hold the job down for the year if need be but is also very willing (his words and actions show this) to be the mentor and even the #2 guy to help a young QB along. I'd probably lean towards just throwing whoever it is out there week 1 and we can sink or swim with him this year.
-
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
And how does that apply now as we see the lean of the Browns towards going with a QB @ #2 overall this early in the process and well before the analytics are done? They have not yet studied the new assignment too determine what made for turnarounds, but yet there has been a lot of info out there towards a QB. Hmmmmm. Will they really let the process make that decision or will they do another Holgren gut decision?
And will they look at key draft picks before the turnarounds? Hope so. I think they will find a lot of defensive picks there. But just my gut reaction.

And how does that apply now as we see the lean of the Browns towards going with a QB @ #2 overall this early in the process and well before the analytics are done? They have not yet studied the new assignment too determine what made for turnarounds, but yet there has been a lot of info out there towards a QB. Hmmmmm. Will they really let the process make that decision or will they do another Holgren gut decision?
And will they look at key draft picks before the turnarounds? Hope so. I think they will find a lot of defensive picks there. But just my gut reaction.

Still a lot of time left to flesh out the study, but it is possible that step one was:
- Clear out all distractions.
-
Holmgren allowed his desire to fill a QB spot intefere with making a sound football decision.
And how does that apply now as we see the lean of the Browns towards going with a QB @ #2 overall this early in the process and well before the analytics are done? They have not yet studied the new assignment too determine what made for turnarounds, but yet there has been a lot of info out there towards a QB. Hmmmmm. Will they really let the process make that decision or will they do another Holgren gut decision?
And will they look at key draft picks before the turnarounds? Hope so. I think they will find a lot of defensive picks there. But just my gut reaction.

Will they really let the process make that decision or will they do another Holgren gut decision?
I share one thing with DePodesta. We both have a background in bioinformatics analysis. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that gut reactions are frowned upon at least explicitly trained out of anyone who is going to be performing any kind of statistical or informatics-based analysis.
-
Well these things are reassuring. So which teams do any of you think qualify for the study of those that have made relatively quick turnarounds?
-
2012 to 2013 Chiefs
2-14 to 11-5
New Coach - Reid
Trade for QB - Smith
Draft - OT, TE (Kelce), backup RB
FAs - FS, OT (re-sign), WR (re-sign). Vet WR, 2 LBs, and 2 CBs (and many other mid-level depth players)
-
2011 to 2012 Colts
2-14 to 11-5
New coach- Pagano
Draft #1 QB, 2 TEs, and a star WR
FAs - vet WR, NT, DE, and #1 CB
-
2010 to 2011 49ers
6-10 to 13-3
New coach- Harbaugh
Draft: DE, and QB
FAs: OL, 2 LBs
Re-signed: QB, DE, S
-
Not surprising... All 3 examples I listed included getting a new coach, solid QB, and acquiring a few key FAs...
Hmmm...
-
-
2007-2008 Falcons
4-12 to 11-5
New coach- Mike Smith
Draft- QB (Ryan), OT, WR, CB, S
FAs- RB, DE
Coach + QB again...
-
2007 to 2008 Ravens
5-11 to 11-5
Harbaugh + Flacco (and Rice)
2005-2006 Saints
3-13 to 10-6
Peyton + Brees
I don't think I need to continue to make my point...
-
Not surprising... All 3 examples I listed included getting a new coach, solid QB, and acquiring a few key FAs...
Hmmm...
Not surprising... All 3 examples I listed included getting a new coach, solid QB, and acquiring a few key FAs...
Hmmm...
I see more "rebound" than turnaround. None more obvious than the Manningless 2011 Colts.
With the exception of your 49er example, teams you listed did not have long strings of miserable performance prior to the crash that preceded their "turnaround". They were "competitive" so it would appear a nucleus was in place. May not be the case with us.
2010 Colts were 10-6 after a long string of 12+ win seasons.
2009 49ers were 8-8 after years of sub-500.
2006 Falcons were 7-9 after 8 and 11 win seasons.
2006 Ravens won 11 games.
2004 Saints won 8, and 8, 9, 7 and 10 games the previous 4 seasons
-
VesnaKociper said:
I am sorry, but you guys are missin the biggest news. Joe Thomas is going to be a BIG piece of this going forward. FUCK man, I have goosebumps.
These guys don't have a fucking clue.
It wasn't missed, most folks here are super happy.
-
VesnaKociper said:
I am sorry, but you guys are missin the biggest news. Joe Thomas is going to be a BIG piece of this going forward. FUCK man, I have goosebumps.
These guys don't have a fucking clue.
Yes we know you don't like offensive linemen, Rainman.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login