Skip to content

Dansby On "suffocating" Atmosphere Of Browns

The Browns Board
58 22 2.5k
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Basically, imagine you've got WalterWhite and PoeticG in the draft room, and one wants Johnny Manziel while the other wants Colt McCoy and both are not giving any ground. It's the job of the 'suit' to get them to agree, or go with the one making the best case.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Chris :

    "Otherwise, the QB at the top of each depth chart have largely come from the first round or early second. Carr, Bridgewater, Winston, Mariota, Flacco, Dalton, Big Ben, Newton, Luck, Manning, Manning, Rodgers, Palmer, Bortles, Smith, Rivers, Ryan are all guys we'd take in a straight up swap for McCown. Then you have other guys who are mostly 'meh' but still at least as good as McCown in the right system - Stafford, Bradford, Cutler, Kaepernick."

    And then be totally shocked at another 4 and 12.

    WSS

    Why so angry Steve?

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #9

    @gftchris said:

    Why so angry Steve?

    That sounded angry to you?

    You give me a laundry list of guys you want to trade Josh McCown for and I point out the fact that I don't think it would change things?

    WSS

  • @gftchris said:

    Why so angry Steve?

    That sounded angry to you?

    You give me a laundry list of guys you want to trade Josh McCown for and I point out the fact that I don't think it would change things?

    WSS

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @westside-steve said:

    That sounded angry to you?

    You give me a laundry list of guys you want to trade Josh McCown for and I point out the fact that I don't think it would change things?

    WSS

    Just having fun with you - it's your go to response for me when I say something you don't like 😉

    I'm saying that that first list of guys, Rivers, Eli etc, you'd trade straight up for and not bat an eyelid. McCown for Rivers? Yes please. If you don't think it would change things I'd say you're a bit crazy. Any of those guys - call it most if you disagree with a few - would be an upgrade either next year or for the next five years over McCown.

    The second list - Stafford, Bradford & Cutler - are basically 'meh' and you wouldn't necessarily trade straight up. You might think you can fit them in your system and exploit the strengths and mask the weaknesses, but you could do that with McCown also, or Hoyer or Cousins or Kaepernick.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #11

    This seems more to me that the team captain's were stuck behind a guy in Pettine they could not get behind cause the cluster nest kept growing. Farmer & Haslem let Pet sink all by himself. Think Haslem got the right 2 guys out, but than Jimmy pointed the finger at himself.

  • @westside-steve said:

    That sounded angry to you?

    You give me a laundry list of guys you want to trade Josh McCown for and I point out the fact that I don't think it would change things?

    WSS

    Just having fun with you - it's your go to response for me when I say something you don't like 😉

    I'm saying that that first list of guys, Rivers, Eli etc, you'd trade straight up for and not bat an eyelid. McCown for Rivers? Yes please. If you don't think it would change things I'd say you're a bit crazy. Any of those guys - call it most if you disagree with a few - would be an upgrade either next year or for the next five years over McCown.

    The second list - Stafford, Bradford & Cutler - are basically 'meh' and you wouldn't necessarily trade straight up. You might think you can fit them in your system and exploit the strengths and mask the weaknesses, but you could do that with McCown also, or Hoyer or Cousins or Kaepernick.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @gftchris said:

    Just having fun with you - it's your go to response for me when I say something you don't like 😉

    I'm saying that that first list of guys, Rivers, Eli etc, you'd trade straight up for and not bat an eyelid. McCown for Rivers? Yes please. If you don't think it would change things I'd say you're a bit crazy. Any of those guys - call it most if you disagree with a few - would be an upgrade either next year or for the next five years over McCown.

    The second list - Stafford, Bradford & Cutler - are basically 'meh' and you wouldn't necessarily trade straight up. You might think you can fit them in your system and exploit the strengths and mask the weaknesses, but you could do that with McCown also, or Hoyer or Cousins or Kaepernick.

    Well, sorry. Just a well deserved defense of Josh McCown.

    He's a guy that I believe was cheated by fate by being bounced all over the league shitty team after shitty team.

    Had the cards played out differently during his career I think we might easily mention him among the top tier.

    WSS

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Oh, here: 🙂

    WSS

  • @gftchris said:

    Just having fun with you - it's your go to response for me when I say something you don't like 😉

    I'm saying that that first list of guys, Rivers, Eli etc, you'd trade straight up for and not bat an eyelid. McCown for Rivers? Yes please. If you don't think it would change things I'd say you're a bit crazy. Any of those guys - call it most if you disagree with a few - would be an upgrade either next year or for the next five years over McCown.

    The second list - Stafford, Bradford & Cutler - are basically 'meh' and you wouldn't necessarily trade straight up. You might think you can fit them in your system and exploit the strengths and mask the weaknesses, but you could do that with McCown also, or Hoyer or Cousins or Kaepernick.

    Well, sorry. Just a well deserved defense of Josh McCown.

    He's a guy that I believe was cheated by fate by being bounced all over the league shitty team after shitty team.

    Had the cards played out differently during his career I think we might easily mention him among the top tier.

    WSS

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @westside-steve said:

    Well, sorry. Just a well deserved defense of Josh McCown.

    He's a guy that I believe was cheated by fate by being bounced all over the league shitty team after shitty team.

    Had the cards played out differently during his career I think we might easily mention him among the top tier.

    WSS

    Not sure about top tier, but he's serviceable. He has flaws and strengths, same as guys like bradford and whoever. He's a good leader, is mobile enough to pick up yards and tends to do the little things well. He struggles with holding on to the ball too long and taking hits/sacks, trying to get too much when scrambling and taking hits, accuracy sometimes and is 'ok' at reading defences. Some of those things he'd be better at if he'd played all thirteen years in the league - but his propensity to take hits probably precludes him from playing all thirteen years in the league.

    For my money, he's a very serviceable guy that would mean a rookie QB (be it Goff or Lynch or Wentz or someone later on) wouldn't have to start immediately and we could easily, with the right coaching and schemes maximising talent be above .500 and at least playing relevant football in december, so I think we agree on that.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I meant he should be top tier at this point in his career had he been drafted on a good team and stayed there.

    Just like I feel many of those other guys would fail to flourish on bad teams.

    WSS

  • I meant he should be top tier at this point in his career had he been drafted on a good team and stayed there.

    Just like I feel many of those other guys would fail to flourish on bad teams.

    WSS

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @westside-steve said:

    I meant he should be top tier at this point in his career had he been drafted on a good team and stayed there.

    Just like I feel many of those other guys would fail to flourish on bad teams.

    WSS

    I've said that before, also, that someone like Andy Dalton - if he were on the browns, he would have been bounced in two years because he couldn't lift the team on his own. Maybe Joe Flacco the same. We've been bad at drafting QBs, for sure, I don't think anyone believe's Brandon Weeden would be leading the Bengals to the playoffs every year had he been drafted there, but we're also not great at having patience with a young QB. Like even Johnny six-starts.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    But all those people who said it was clear Pettine lost the locker room were crazy people right? 😳

  • @westside-steve said:

    I meant he should be top tier at this point in his career had he been drafted on a good team and stayed there.

    Just like I feel many of those other guys would fail to flourish on bad teams.

    WSS

    I've said that before, also, that someone like Andy Dalton - if he were on the browns, he would have been bounced in two years because he couldn't lift the team on his own. Maybe Joe Flacco the same. We've been bad at drafting QBs, for sure, I don't think anyone believe's Brandon Weeden would be leading the Bengals to the playoffs every year had he been drafted there, but we're also not great at having patience with a young QB. Like even Johnny six-starts.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @gftchris said:

    I've said that before, also, that someone like Andy Dalton - if he were on the browns, he would have been bounced in two years because he couldn't lift the team on his own. Maybe Joe Flacco the same. We've been bad at drafting QBs, for sure, I don't think anyone believe's Brandon Weeden would be leading the Bengals to the playoffs every year had he been drafted there, but we're also not great at having patience with a young QB. Like even Johnny six-starts.

    Brandon Weeden was successful at least for the game he started with a playoff caliber team in Houston.

    As much as the boys don't want to admit it they had more problems than just missing Tony Romo.

    WSS

  • @gftchris said:

    I've said that before, also, that someone like Andy Dalton - if he were on the browns, he would have been bounced in two years because he couldn't lift the team on his own. Maybe Joe Flacco the same. We've been bad at drafting QBs, for sure, I don't think anyone believe's Brandon Weeden would be leading the Bengals to the playoffs every year had he been drafted there, but we're also not great at having patience with a young QB. Like even Johnny six-starts.

    Brandon Weeden was successful at least for the game he started with a playoff caliber team in Houston.

    As much as the boys don't want to admit it they had more problems than just missing Tony Romo.

    WSS

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @westside-steve said:

    Brandon Weeden was successful at least for the game he started with a playoff caliber team in Houston.

    As much as the boys don't want to admit it they had more problems than just missing Tony Romo.

    WSS

    He didn't screw up, just about. Not sure you call that successful.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Brandon Weeden was successful at least for the game he started with a playoff caliber team in Houston.

    As much as the boys don't want to admit it they had more problems than just missing Tony Romo.

    WSS

    He didn't screw up, just about. Not sure you call that successful.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gftchris said:

    He didn't screw up, just about. Not sure you call that successful.

    He also played against the Titans and Colts, two of the worst Ds around, talent-wise. And against Zach Mettenberger and whichever 40 year old was playing for Indy that week.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #21

    You talking to yourself, Chris?

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by Erie Dawg
    #22

    The Qb to lead this team for the next 10+ yrs isn't on this team.... Yet.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Let's just hope this time we don't screw it up.

    SB 51 here we come.

  • You talking to yourself, Chris?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @wargograw said:

    You talking to yourself, Chris?

    Lol, just adding to my previous comment. Apparently quoted just myself...

  • pettine fighting with who? farmer?

    i mean he's the only FO person let go correct? everyone else is still there so how will it be any different for jackson?

    don't get it. sounds to me like the problem starts at the top. haslam had no idea any of this was going on? and for dansby to come out now with this like it is some revelation is kinda weak in my opinion as well. so it's the suits against the grunts (coaches) and they hired a lot more suits.

    jackson: "we could sure use a QB and MLB."

    suits: "well statistics say that we pick RB in this situation."

    jackson: "AAAaaarrrgggh!"

    doesn't bode well for the grunts.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #25

    @miktoxic said:

    pettine fighting with who? farmer?

    i mean he's the only FO person let go correct? everyone else is still there so how will it be any different for jackson?

    don't get it. sounds to me like the problem starts at the top. haslam had no idea any of this was going on? and for dansby to come out now with this like it is some revelation is kinda weak in my opinion as well. so it's the suits against the grunts (coaches) and they hired a lot more suits.

    I am sure Haslam was aware. It's why he had to make the changes. Once well in to the season, there was no real point in making a change then.

    I am pretty sure it was all between Pettine and Farmer. Scheiner and Brown weren't acting in that type of role.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #26

    if they just flipped a coin in the draft room, could their drafting have been any worse?

  • if they just flipped a coin in the draft room, could their drafting have been any worse?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @clevfan4life said:

    if they just flipped a coin in the draft room, could their drafting have been any worse?

    Is that a three hundred sided coin, or have they narrowed it down to two candidates already?