First Round Busts
-
The question was asked about which NFL franchises have had the most first round draft pick busts.....the suggestion being that the Browns may be a leader in this category. Well, that might be true. Here are the Browns first round picks since the common AFL/NFL draft began in 1966. The Browns have had 49 first round picks in those years. I will put these in these categories: Busts, Borderline, Plus players, too soon.
In the Too Soon, I only have 4 players (I am not including the 2016 picks in this analysis at all):
Cameron Erving
Danny Shelton
Justin Gilbert
Barkevious Mingo
though these last two are headed their way toward the next category:
Certified Busts....and possibly in this order, worst on top:
Craig Powell
Brady Quinn
Mike Junkin
Clifford Charlton
Johnny Manziel
Willis Adams
Steve Holden
Pete Adams
Don Rogers (death)
William Green
Brandon Weeden
Robert Jackson (LB)
Mack Mitchell
Trent Richardson
Tommy Vardell
Courtney Brown
Gerard Warren (for Browns)*
Charles White *
Kameron Wimbley (for Browns)*
*: had somewhat of a better career for other teams
Borderline:
Phil Taylor
Antonio Langham
Kellen Winslow II
Braylon Edwards
Tim Couch
Derrick Alexander*
Bob McKay
Jeff Faine*
Mike Phipps
Marvin Upshaw*
Ron Johnson*
Bob Matheson*
Plus players (good ones that met their draft status):
Clay Matthews
Joe Thomas
Chip Banks
Hanford Dixon
Eric Metcalf
Mike Pruitt
Ozzie Newsome
Thom Darden
Eric Turner
Alex Mack
Joe Haden
Clarence Scott
Milt Morin
So, only 26.5% of Browns players selected in round 1 became plus players
40.8% were basically undeniable busts
24.4% were borderline players
And I have 8.1% as too soon to tell.
So, yea, I don't think that is a very good record. To me, the Bust and Plus numbers should minimally be reversed.
I will also try to look at the other teams from the AFCN.
-
I think, for the Steelers, the kind of breakdown they have is more like what you want:
Too soon to tell:
Ryan Shazier
Bud Dupree
Busts:
Dick Leftbridge
Gabe Rivera
Huey Richardson
Jamain Stephens
Darryl Sims
Tom Ricketts
Mark Breuner
Tim Worley
Greg Hawthorn
Mike Taylor
Aaron James
Troy Edwards
Deon Figures
Keith Gary
John Rienstra
Mark Malone
Borderline:
Bennie Cunningham
Rashard Mendenhall
Evander Hood
Ron Johnson
Eric Green
Walter Abercrombie
Charles Johnson
JT Thomas
Chad Scott
Kendall Simmons
Plus players:
Cameron Heyward
David DeCastro
Heath Miller
Santonio Holmes
Maurkice Pouncey
Leon Searcy
Louis Lipps
Frank Lewis
Lynn Swann
Robin Cole
Lawrence Timmons
Plaxico Burress
Dave Brown
Casey Hampton
Troy Polamalu
Franco Harris
Joe Greene
Terry Bradshaw
Ben Roethlisberger
Alan Faneca
Rod Woodson
So, for the Steelers since 1966 they have the following breakdown:
Too soon: 4%
Borderline: 20%
Busts: 32%
Plus: 42%
So, clearly a much better mix.
-
The question was asked about which NFL franchises have had the most first round draft pick busts.....the suggestion being that the Browns may be a leader in this category. Well, that might be true. Here are the Browns first round picks since the common AFL/NFL draft began in 1966. The Browns have had 49 first round picks in those years. I will put these in these categories: Busts, Borderline, Plus players, too soon.
In the Too Soon, I only have 4 players (I am not including the 2016 picks in this analysis at all):
Cameron Erving
Danny Shelton
Justin Gilbert
Barkevious Mingo
though these last two are headed their way toward the next category:
Certified Busts....and possibly in this order, worst on top:
Craig Powell
Brady Quinn
Mike Junkin
Clifford Charlton
Johnny Manziel
Willis Adams
Steve Holden
Pete Adams
Don Rogers (death)
William Green
Brandon Weeden
Robert Jackson (LB)
Mack Mitchell
Trent Richardson
Tommy Vardell
Courtney Brown
Gerard Warren (for Browns)*
Charles White *
Kameron Wimbley (for Browns)*
*: had somewhat of a better career for other teams
Borderline:
Phil Taylor
Antonio Langham
Kellen Winslow II
Braylon Edwards
Tim Couch
Derrick Alexander*
Bob McKay
Jeff Faine*
Mike Phipps
Marvin Upshaw*
Ron Johnson*
Bob Matheson*
Plus players (good ones that met their draft status):
Clay Matthews
Joe Thomas
Chip Banks
Hanford Dixon
Eric Metcalf
Mike Pruitt
Ozzie Newsome
Thom Darden
Eric Turner
Alex Mack
Joe Haden
Clarence Scott
Milt Morin
So, only 26.5% of Browns players selected in round 1 became plus players
40.8% were basically undeniable busts
24.4% were borderline players
And I have 8.1% as too soon to tell.
So, yea, I don't think that is a very good record. To me, the Bust and Plus numbers should minimally be reversed.
I will also try to look at the other teams from the AFCN.
Borderline:
Phil Taylor
Antonio Langham
Kellen Winslow II
Braylon Edwards
Tim Couch
Derrick Alexander*
Bob McKay
Jeff Faine*
Mike Phipps
Marvin Upshaw*
Ron Johnson*
Bob Matheson*
I'll never look at Couch as a bust. In Browns history, he's ranked 5th in passing yards. And 3rd in times sacked (only 5 seasons played). I don't think he was better than McNabb (hindsight of course), but I bet McNabb would have been doomed to fail as well those years, virtually no O line help at all.
Couch lead the team to a playoff birth, only to have Butch Davis fall in love with Kelly Holcomb. Couch wasn't great, but he was far from a bust IMHO.
-
Here is the breakdown for The Bengals since 1966:
Too Soon to Tell:
Cedric Ogbuehi
Darquez Dennard
Tyler Eifert...though he seems on the way to a plus grade
Busts:
Mike Cobb
Akili Smith
David Pollack
David Verser
Glen Collins
Chris Perry
Greg Cook
David Klingler
Pete Koch
Kijana Carter
Jack Thompson
Reinard Wilson
Rickey Dixon
Emanuel King
Billy Brooks
Ricky Hunley
Jason Buck
Keith Rivers
Borderline players:
Jermain Gresham
Charles Alexander
Peter Warrick
Brian Blados
Bill Kollar
Wilson Whitley
Mike Reid
Archie Griffin
Andre Smith
Dave Rimington
John Copeland
Joe Kelly
Brian Simmons
Tim McGee
James Francis
Ross Browner
Levi Jones
Glen Cameron
Alfred Williams
Leon Hall
Vern Holland
Plus players:
Kevin Zeitler
AJ Green
Sherman White
Darryl Williams
Jonathan Joseph
Eddie Edwards
Eddie Brown
Bob Johnson
Dan Wilkinson
Blair Bush
Isaac Curtis
Takeo Spikes
Willie Anderson
Justin Smith
Carson Palmer
Anthony Munoz
The Bengals breakdown is as follows:
Too soon: 5%
Busts: 30.5%
Borderline: 35.5%
Plus players: 27.1%
It seems more Bengals were more middle of the road rather than bust or hits.
-
Borderline:
Phil Taylor
Antonio Langham
Kellen Winslow II
Braylon Edwards
Tim Couch
Derrick Alexander*
Bob McKay
Jeff Faine*
Mike Phipps
Marvin Upshaw*
Ron Johnson*
Bob Matheson*
I'll never look at Couch as a bust. In Browns history, he's ranked 5th in passing yards. And 3rd in times sacked (only 5 seasons played). I don't think he was better than McNabb (hindsight of course), but I bet McNabb would have been doomed to fail as well those years, virtually no O line help at all.
Couch lead the team to a playoff birth, only to have Butch Davis fall in love with Kelly Holcomb. Couch wasn't great, but he was far from a bust IMHO.
I'll never look at Couch as a bust. In Browns history, he's ranked 5th in passing yards. And 3rd in times sacked (only 5 seasons played). I don't think he was better than McNabb (hindsight of course), but I bet McNabb would have been doomed to fail as well those years, virtually no O line help at all.
Couch lead the team to a playoff birth, only to have Butch Davis fall in love with Kelly Holcomb. Couch wasn't great, but he was far from a bust IMHO.
And I didn't have him in the bust pool if you notice. I had him in the borderline pool.....not good/great players....not busts.
-
The Ravens have the best record of all in their "short" existance.
Too Soon to Tell:
Breshard Perriman
Matt Elam
Busts:
Kyle Boller.......the only real bust they have had in 20 years
Borderline:
Michael Oher
Todd Heap
Duane Starks
Travis Taylor
Jimmy Smith
Mark Clayton
Plus players:
Ray Lewis
Ed Reed
Jonathan Ogden
Terrell Suggs
Haloti Ngata
Joe Flacco
Jamal Lewis
Chris McAlister
Peter Boulware
Ben Grubbs
CJ Mosley...getting there
The Ravens Breakdown is:
Too soon: 10%
Busts: 5%
Borderline: 30%
Plus players: 55%
I suggest that no team in the league has done so well in that period of time.
-
Borderline Michael Oher? Dude you're wrong on that one.
-
One Post From the Truth said:
Borderline Michael Oher? Dude you're wrong on that one.
He has been an OK player. Nothing spectacular. In 7 years in the league he has never made a single Pro Bowl.
Or, were you thinking the other way.....that he is a bust?
-
One Post From the Truth said:
Borderline Michael Oher? Dude you're wrong on that one.
He has been an OK player. Nothing spectacular. In 7 years in the league he has never made a single Pro Bowl.
Or, were you thinking the other way.....that he is a bust?
I think he's pretty darn good.He has been an OK player. Nothing spectacular. In 7 years in the league he has never made a single Pro Bowl.
Or, were you thinking the other way.....that he is a bust?
-
I think he's pretty darn good.He has been an OK player. Nothing spectacular. In 7 years in the league he has never made a single Pro Bowl.
Or, were you thinking the other way.....that he is a bust?
One Post From the Truth said:
I think he's pretty darn good.
Apparently though his fellow players, coaches, executives...and the fans...have not seen fit to name him to a Pro Bowl....and not good enough for the Titans who were what? 3-13 to not have released him.
I mean I do not think he ended up being as good as Mitchell Schwartz. (though he might be better than what we have now. When he was released it would not have broken my heart to pick him up as a replacement for The Schwartz)
-
One Post From the Truth said:
I think he's pretty darn good.
Apparently though his fellow players, coaches, executives...and the fans...have not seen fit to name him to a Pro Bowl....and not good enough for the Titans who were what? 3-13 to not have released him.
I mean I do not think he ended up being as good as Mitchell Schwartz. (though he might be better than what we have now. When he was released it would not have broken my heart to pick him up as a replacement for The Schwartz)
They made a flipping movie about he kid. Not enough say he wasn't worthy?Apparently though his fellow players, coaches, executives...and the fans...have not seen fit to name him to a Pro Bowl....and not good enough for the Titans who were what? 3-13 to not have released him.
I mean I do not think he ended up being as good as Mitchell Schwartz. (though he might be better than what we have now. When he was released it would not have broken my heart to pick him up as a replacement for The Schwartz)
-
Other was drafted as a LT, couldn't cut it and was moved to RT.
-
They made a flipping movie about he kid. Not enough say he wasn't worthy?Apparently though his fellow players, coaches, executives...and the fans...have not seen fit to name him to a Pro Bowl....and not good enough for the Titans who were what? 3-13 to not have released him.
I mean I do not think he ended up being as good as Mitchell Schwartz. (though he might be better than what we have now. When he was released it would not have broken my heart to pick him up as a replacement for The Schwartz)
One Post From the Truth said:
They made a flipping movie about he kid. Not enough say he wasn't worthy?
They made an inspirational movie about Rudy Ruettiger. That doesn't mean he was Pro Bowl talent.
-
One Post From the Truth said:
They made a flipping movie about he kid. Not enough say he wasn't worthy?
They made an inspirational movie about Rudy Ruettiger. That doesn't mean he was Pro Bowl talent.
Oher won a SB right? He was a vital part of a line that won it all.They made an inspirational movie about Rudy Ruettiger. That doesn't mean he was Pro Bowl talent.
-
Other was drafted as a LT, couldn't cut it and was moved to RT.
Other was drafted as a LT, couldn't cut it and was moved to RT.
I heard someone say that they thought Alvin Bailey was shaky....and he is slated to be our starte at ROT.....so...yea, maybe Oher could have been a guy to get. But now we gotta go with Bailey or Shon Coleman....or Drango? (Or is he a guard?)
-
Oher won a SB right? He was a vital part of a line that won it all.They made an inspirational movie about Rudy Ruettiger. That doesn't mean he was Pro Bowl talent.
One Post From the Truth said:
Oher won a SB right? He was a vital part of a line that won it all.
Lots of middle of the road players have Super Bowl rings.
I am not dissing him or saying he is a bust. But he is not what I categorize as a plus player.
-
One Post From the Truth said:
Oher won a SB right? He was a vital part of a line that won it all.
Lots of middle of the road players have Super Bowl rings.
I am not dissing him or saying he is a bust. But he is not what I categorize as a plus player.
Whatever dude. I could comb through all of your lists and find many screw ups because I'm smart. Now if you will excuse me I'm watch Trailor Parks Boys all day.Lots of middle of the road players have Super Bowl rings.
I am not dissing him or saying he is a bust. But he is not what I categorize as a plus player.
-
Whatever dude. I could comb through all of your lists and find many screw ups because I'm smart. Now if you will excuse me I'm watch Trailor Parks Boys all day.Lots of middle of the road players have Super Bowl rings.
I am not dissing him or saying he is a bust. But he is not what I categorize as a plus player.
One Post From the Truth said:
Whatever dude. I could comb through all of your lists and find many screw ups because I'm smart. Now if you will excuse me I'm watch Trailor Parks Boys all day.

Watch it? Or live it?
-
One Post From the Truth said:
Whatever dude. I could comb through all of your lists and find many screw ups because I'm smart. Now if you will excuse me I'm watch Trailor Parks Boys all day.

Watch it? Or live it?
Watch it. I live in a building we own with neighbors that best keep it down or they get the boot.Watch it? Or live it?
-
Borderline busts? Bennie Cunningham and Eric Green were not borderline busts. Especially that big fat ass Green who was a 2X pro bowler. Playing 10 yrs. makes one a serviceable player. Cunningham started in 2 Super Bowls.
Speaking of Cunningham...you're old enough to remember this Gip.
A game in which the Browns were on the verge of breaking that Three Rivers Jinx when this happened....
(The second clip.).
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login