Skip to content

Top 5 Rivalries

The Browns Board
59 14 1.6k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Plus if you meet three-years in a row in the playoffs?

    Well, I can tell you that in that era of the 60s, the Browns had a much bigger rivalry with the Cardinals than with the Cowboys as far as that goes. And the Giants. Of course the Bengals didn't even exist....or were in the AFL. The Steelers "rivalry" was lopsided, as bad in our favor as it has been in their favor, and the fans were all that high on it. No, I remember the Giants being a big game because of the Brown/Huff matchup. The Cowboys were just a team we played in the playoffs....no real rivalry (maybe is seems more acute to you because you live in Texas now).

    The Packers were no bigger than the Colts....we were aware that both were quality opponents.. For some reason the Cardinals stick out in my mind....because of some classic battles, including a 33-33 tie.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, I can tell you that in that era of the 60s, the Browns had a much bigger rivalry with the Cardinals than with the Cowboys as far as that goes. And the Giants. Of course the Bengals didn't even exist....or were in the AFL. The Steelers "rivalry" was lopsided, as bad in our favor as it has been in their favor, and the fans were all that high on it. No, I remember the Giants being a big game because of the Brown/Huff matchup. The Cowboys were just a team we played in the playoffs....no real rivalry (maybe is seems more acute to you because you live in Texas now).

    The Packers were no bigger than the Colts....we were aware that both were quality opponents.. For some reason the Cardinals stick out in my mind....because of some classic battles, including a 33-33 tie.

    Sure... you can tell me... just as long as I do not have to agree... 😉

    Totally get the Sam Huff thing, but that was a player rivalry.

    Also remember StL being a nemesis... one I always felt we should sweep, but seemingly never did. But we never met them in the playoffs.

    Dallas? Living in Texas has nada to do with it. We had no greater rival in the late 60's than them... not in my book anyway. They are the one that came out of my childhood.

  • In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1.

    2.

    3.

    4.

    5.

    @go-losers said:

    In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1. Steelers..rivalry and hate inbreds, especially steroidal inbreds.

    2. Ravens..rivalry and hate baltimore for doing to us what was done to their city...CLASSLESS!

    3. Bengals..in state rivalry.

    4. Broncos..As long as "old horseteeth" is there, I hate 'em!

    5. Jets..Hate Joe Willie, Rex, & everything about the jets...no reason, I don't need one.

    Mike

  • In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

  • I hate the fucking Cowboys.

    I don't care so much about the Broncos.

    WSS

  • In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1.

    2.

    3.

    4.

    5.

    @go-losers said:

    In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1. Pittsburgh

    2. Ratbirds

    3. BenGals

    4. Titans (nee Oilers)

    5.Denver

  • In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    @stinkhole said:

    In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    Raiders vs Steelers was great in the 70s.

    You guys vs the Pats is probably like Browns-Broncos. broncos have our number, Pats have yours.

  • In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    @stinkhole said:

    In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    Yup... Historically success determined the "enemies" factor and competitiveness the rivalry factor...

    ... but in the age of the internet fans of other teams wandering into another "camp" can skew things.

  • In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    @stinkhole said:

    In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    That can change instantaneously. See this Sporting New site. I has the Browns/Steelers and Browns/Bengals as two of the top ten rivalries in the NFL. Also has Steeler/Ravens

    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/photos/10-greatest-nfl-rivalries-packers-bengals-browns-steelers-raiders-broncos-redskins-cowboys/19q0u6nxgihf812w9u9smctp0f/slide/442135

  • @stinkhole said:

    In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    Raiders vs Steelers was great in the 70s.

    You guys vs the Pats is probably like Browns-Broncos. broncos have our number, Pats have yours.

    @bob806 said:

    Raiders vs Steelers was great in the 70s.

    You guys vs the Pats is probably like Browns-Broncos. broncos have our number, Pats have yours.

    I am of the opinion that just because 2 teams are good at the same time, that does not make a real rivalry.

    Browns/Broncos....not really....just a product of 3 matchups in AFC title games.

    Steelers/Pats? No...same thing....if that is the case then the Pats have a rivalry with the Ravens as well.

    I mean, what if in the next 5 years the Browns and the Jaguars became so good that they would meet in a couple of AFC title games....would that make an instantaneous rivalry? Not really.

    The Broncos are still on the Browns list because that is the most recent teams we have had to butt heads with on a consitent basis in postseason play.

    As someone noted, Browns once met the Cowboys in the playoffs 3 years in a row.....and while perhaps in his mind that still remains a big rivalry.....I think he is alone in that factor.

    Browns once met both Lions and Rams on a consistent basis. Rams used to be in Cleveland. Should that be a factor? That was a big rivalry then....should it still be? Not really.

    No, I think the proximity rivalries are probably the best. In that respect then, the NFL misses out. Could you see biannual meetings of the Jets/Giants? 49ers/Raiders? Redskins/Ravens? Cowboys/Texans? Miami/Tampa?

    These would be premier rivalries if they were allowed to happen.

  • I don't know Gip, I think great rivalries happen over a period of hotly contested games. Raiders-Steelers, and Raiders-Dolphins were truly great games when I was a kid. When Stabler was falling down, and flipped that pass to Clarence Davis, it ended the Dolphins run of greatness.

    People may disagree with me, but I'd say the best NFL rivalries are Browns-Steelers, Bears-Packers, Raiders-Chiefs, Saints-Falcons, Raiders-Chargers, Cowboys-Redskins.

  • I don't know Gip, I think great rivalries happen over a period of hotly contested games. Raiders-Steelers, and Raiders-Dolphins were truly great games when I was a kid. When Stabler was falling down, and flipped that pass to Clarence Davis, it ended the Dolphins run of greatness.

    People may disagree with me, but I'd say the best NFL rivalries are Browns-Steelers, Bears-Packers, Raiders-Chiefs, Saints-Falcons, Raiders-Chargers, Cowboys-Redskins.

    @bob806 said:

    I don't know Gip, I think great rivalries happen over a period of hotly contested games. Raiders-Steelers, and Raiders-Dolphins were truly great games when I was a kid. When Stabler was falling down, and flipped that pass to Clarence Davis, it ended the Dolphins run of greatness.

    So, you would be one to buy into the great Buffalo/Jacksonville Rivalry....if it were to come to pass that those teams were good at the same time and met in the playoffs a few times? Sorry, I don't buy it.

    People may disagree with me, but I'd say the best NFL rivalries are Browns-Steelers, Bears-Packers, Raiders-Chiefs, Saints-Falcons, Raiders-Chargers, Cowboys-Redskins.

    Those are big intradivisional rivalries based on some sort of geographic connection....except Dallas/Washington....which has the Cowboys and Indians thing going for it. So they at least make some sense.

  • I don't know Gip, I think great rivalries happen over a period of hotly contested games. Raiders-Steelers, and Raiders-Dolphins were truly great games when I was a kid. When Stabler was falling down, and flipped that pass to Clarence Davis, it ended the Dolphins run of greatness.

    People may disagree with me, but I'd say the best NFL rivalries are Browns-Steelers, Bears-Packers, Raiders-Chiefs, Saints-Falcons, Raiders-Chargers, Cowboys-Redskins.

    @bob806 said:

    I don't know Gip, I think great rivalries happen over a period of hotly contested games. Raiders-Steelers, and Raiders-Dolphins were truly great games when I was a kid. When Stabler was falling down, and flipped that pass to Clarence Davis, it ended the Dolphins run of greatness.

    People may disagree with me, but I'd say the best NFL rivalries are Browns-Steelers, Bears-Packers, Raiders-Chiefs, Saints-Falcons, Raiders-Chargers, Cowboys-Redskins.

    Agree... division alignments set the stage, but playoff clashes cinch rivalries... and to meet there you have to successful.

    Saints-Falcons is only one I don't see in your "divisional rivals" list. I'd be prone to sub in the 'Boys-Giants... another divisional one. One developing one is the Seahawks-Cards, but the clock on the Cards' side may be ticking on its development.

    Odd that the Pats don't have a divisional one that springs to mind... too dominant I guess. Only Pats rival that comes to mind is the Colts because of their semi-recent playoff clashes.

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know Gip, I think great rivalries happen over a period of hotly contested games. Raiders-Steelers, and Raiders-Dolphins were truly great games when I was a kid. When Stabler was falling down, and flipped that pass to Clarence Davis, it ended the Dolphins run of greatness.

    People may disagree with me, but I'd say the best NFL rivalries are Browns-Steelers, Bears-Packers, Raiders-Chiefs, Saints-Falcons, Raiders-Chargers, Cowboys-Redskins.

    Agree... division alignments set the stage, but playoff clashes cinch rivalries... and to meet there you have to successful.

    Saints-Falcons is only one I don't see in your "divisional rivals" list. I'd be prone to sub in the 'Boys-Giants... another divisional one. One developing one is the Seahawks-Cards, but the clock on the Cards' side may be ticking on its development.

    Odd that the Pats don't have a divisional one that springs to mind... too dominant I guess. Only Pats rival that comes to mind is the Colts because of their semi-recent playoff clashes.

    @tour2ma said:

    Agree... division alignments set the stage, but playoff clashes cinch rivalries... and to meet there you have to successful.

    Saints-Falcons is only one I don't see in your "divisional rivals" list. I'd be prone to sub in the 'Boys-Giants... another divisional one. One developing one is the Seahawks-Cards, but the clock on the Cards' side may be ticking on its development.

    Odd that the Pats don't have a divisional one that springs to mind... too dominant I guess. Only Pats rival that comes to mind is the Colts because of their semi-recent playoff clashes.

    The Jets believe that they are a rival of the Pats. Before Brady and BB arrived that was a pretty even up rivalry. But, its like the Browns/Steelers, one side has been overly dominant lately.

  • How about the LA/STL/LA RAMS vs ??? SF? SD? OAK? The fickle LA fans?

    The NFL has sure turned into a multimillionaire and billionaire's plaything and we just get to play along and buy the tickets, parking, souvenirs and concessions.

    But we do love it!

  • @bob806 said:

    I don't know Gip, I think great rivalries happen over a period of hotly contested games. Raiders-Steelers, and Raiders-Dolphins were truly great games when I was a kid. When Stabler was falling down, and flipped that pass to Clarence Davis, it ended the Dolphins run of greatness.

    People may disagree with me, but I'd say the best NFL rivalries are Browns-Steelers, Bears-Packers, Raiders-Chiefs, Saints-Falcons, Raiders-Chargers, Cowboys-Redskins.

    Agree... division alignments set the stage, but playoff clashes cinch rivalries... and to meet there you have to successful.

    Saints-Falcons is only one I don't see in your "divisional rivals" list. I'd be prone to sub in the 'Boys-Giants... another divisional one. One developing one is the Seahawks-Cards, but the clock on the Cards' side may be ticking on its development.

    Odd that the Pats don't have a divisional one that springs to mind... too dominant I guess. Only Pats rival that comes to mind is the Colts because of their semi-recent playoff clashes.

    @tour2ma said:

    Odd that the Pats don't have a divisional one that springs to mind... too dominant I guess. Only Pats rival that comes to mind is the Colts because of their semi-recent playoff clashes.

    Right.....and that one was usually played up as a Manning vs Brady rivalry......

  • @tour2ma said:

    Agree... division alignments set the stage, but playoff clashes cinch rivalries... and to meet there you have to successful.

    Saints-Falcons is only one I don't see in your "divisional rivals" list. I'd be prone to sub in the 'Boys-Giants... another divisional one. One developing one is the Seahawks-Cards, but the clock on the Cards' side may be ticking on its development.

    Odd that the Pats don't have a divisional one that springs to mind... too dominant I guess. Only Pats rival that comes to mind is the Colts because of their semi-recent playoff clashes.

    The Jets believe that they are a rival of the Pats. Before Brady and BB arrived that was a pretty even up rivalry. But, its like the Browns/Steelers, one side has been overly dominant lately.

    @the-gipper said:

    But, its like the Browns/Steelers, one side has been overly dominant lately.

    lol..yeah "lately". ...as in approaching 3 decades.

  • @stinkhole said:

    In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

    That can change instantaneously. See this Sporting New site. I has the Browns/Steelers and Browns/Bengals as two of the top ten rivalries in the NFL. Also has Steeler/Ravens

    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/photos/10-greatest-nfl-rivalries-packers-bengals-browns-steelers-raiders-broncos-redskins-cowboys/19q0u6nxgihf812w9u9smctp0f/slide/442135

    @the-gipper said:

    That can change instantaneously. See this Sporting New site. I has the Browns/Steelers and Browns/Bengals as two of the top ten rivalries in the NFL. Also has Steeler/Ravens

    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/photos/10-greatest-nfl-rivalries-packers-bengals-browns-steelers-raiders-broncos-redskins-cowboys/19q0u6nxgihf812w9u9smctp0f/slide/442135

    Yep, can change in an instant...that last Steeler Bengals playoff fiasco proved that.

    Vontage Burthdefect and company now at the top many Steeler fans "most hated" list.

    No doubt Steelers-Browns once one of the greatest rivalries...but that rivalry went with the old browns to Baltimore.

    The series is 24-20 and they beat the fuck out of each other. Should be like that here. Modell gave your colors back, but couldn't give back the rivalry. He stole a lot.

    You are an old fart...do you remember the incident when Jack Lambert paid a visit to the browns locker room after a game in Cleveland?

    I think it had something to do with his on field altercation with Brian Sipe. ...his "QB should wear dresses" quote came out of that.

    I cant find any story about that on the net. That 70's rivalry was something else.

  • @the-gipper said:

    That can change instantaneously. See this Sporting New site. I has the Browns/Steelers and Browns/Bengals as two of the top ten rivalries in the NFL. Also has Steeler/Ravens

    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/photos/10-greatest-nfl-rivalries-packers-bengals-browns-steelers-raiders-broncos-redskins-cowboys/19q0u6nxgihf812w9u9smctp0f/slide/442135

    Yep, can change in an instant...that last Steeler Bengals playoff fiasco proved that.

    Vontage Burthdefect and company now at the top many Steeler fans "most hated" list.

    No doubt Steelers-Browns once one of the greatest rivalries...but that rivalry went with the old browns to Baltimore.

    The series is 24-20 and they beat the fuck out of each other. Should be like that here. Modell gave your colors back, but couldn't give back the rivalry. He stole a lot.

    You are an old fart...do you remember the incident when Jack Lambert paid a visit to the browns locker room after a game in Cleveland?

    I think it had something to do with his on field altercation with Brian Sipe. ...his "QB should wear dresses" quote came out of that.

    I cant find any story about that on the net. That 70's rivalry was something else.

    @stinkhole said:

    Vontage Burthdefect...

    Not bad... but lay off the "old fart" stuff... junior...

  • @the-gipper said:

    That can change instantaneously. See this Sporting New site. I has the Browns/Steelers and Browns/Bengals as two of the top ten rivalries in the NFL. Also has Steeler/Ravens

    http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/photos/10-greatest-nfl-rivalries-packers-bengals-browns-steelers-raiders-broncos-redskins-cowboys/19q0u6nxgihf812w9u9smctp0f/slide/442135

    Yep, can change in an instant...that last Steeler Bengals playoff fiasco proved that.

    Vontage Burthdefect and company now at the top many Steeler fans "most hated" list.

    No doubt Steelers-Browns once one of the greatest rivalries...but that rivalry went with the old browns to Baltimore.

    The series is 24-20 and they beat the fuck out of each other. Should be like that here. Modell gave your colors back, but couldn't give back the rivalry. He stole a lot.

    You are an old fart...do you remember the incident when Jack Lambert paid a visit to the browns locker room after a game in Cleveland?

    I think it had something to do with his on field altercation with Brian Sipe. ...his "QB should wear dresses" quote came out of that.

    I cant find any story about that on the net. That 70's rivalry was something else.

    @stinkhole said:

    Yep, can change in an instant...that last Steeler Bengals playoff fiasco proved that.

    Vontage Burthdefect and company now at the top many Steeler fans "most hated" list.

    You are an old fart...do you remember the incident when Jack Lambert paid a visit to the browns locker room after a game in Cleveland?

    I think it had something to do with his on field altercation with Brian Sipe. ...his "QB should wear dresses" quote came out of that.

    I cant find any story about that on the net. That 70's rivalry was something else.

    From the "old far department".....

    The incident came in 1978, in a game against the Browns when Lambert was called for a late hit on Cleveland quarterback Brian Sipe. It was a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty. Lambert was mobbed by the Browns bench, but he was not ejected. He was, though, called into NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle's office to explain his actions. A week after the incident, Lambert and the Steelers were playing on Monday Night Football and Lambert drew more attention to himself by complaining to a reporter about how quarterbacks get too much protection. His choice of expressing this disapproval, though, was stating, "Quarterbacks should wear dresses."

  • Oh BTW the undersized Lambert who was surrounded by 10 other good players on defense had several other run ins with Sipe, ah some good memories all in all back then at the Ol' Muni.