So....who gets cut??
-
the less intelligent ones:
Beau Bell
Lawrence Vickers
Kamerian Wimbley
the less intelligent ones:
Beau Bell
Lawrence Vickers
Kamerian Wimbley
HAHA. Let's just let a pro bowl FB who has done a GREAT job, our former 1st round/only pass rush threat walk... RIIIGHT. I'd be shocked to see Bell dropped this early as well. He is cheap and in a position of need.
-
@jadbf said:
I'd have to look at how expensive Fraley is. if he's cheap, they keep him as insurance. Steptoe is for sure gone, and Hubbard is just as close. I think Pool lasts through this season until they get those guys you discussed trained. I think Bell has to step up or be gone.The only one I disagree greatly with you on is Lewis. He'll be here. I actually envision them just giving Harrison more carries, and somewhat transitioning Lewis into a Bettis role.
First....Rice.....thanks for the correction on Wright...I will have to rethink that one.
JAD...my only thinking on Fraley is he is a one position player. I like him at center over hadnot, but Hadnot brings more to the table as he also plays giard.
That is going to be a close one to watch, but in the end, I think the multi positions is what is going to save a few of those linemen.....maybe fraly takes Sowells slot...he's another who I think is going to have to hope for several people getting injured to make the squad.
I do agree the Lewis deal is a bold statement(some might call it dumb
).I just think Lewis may have hit the wall. He was awful slow to the hole this past season. I don't know if that is going to get much better.
Watch some film on Davis..he hits the line in a hurry, as does Harrison.
The difference between Davis and Harrison is Davis, while not a big back, is a good inside runner who has some pop in his step.
-
That is a good point Jad...all players need some tutoring from vets. Mack would benefit from a guy like Fraley....line calls and such...though it isn't unheard of for a guard to call it to his center, who then calls it out to the other side of the line.
Steinbach could fill that role for a while if need be.
it will be a close call for Fraley and Hadnot.
-
Ok, I've updated the roster list:
http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3456
The 'active' roster (by my records) shows 72 players. So, let's say we need to get down to the 53 man roster. Which 19 players do you think will be cut?
I don't think it's possible that Fraley gets cut. You can't bring in a new C and expect him to start right away without someone there to mentor him & back him up. I just don't see that happening.
-
Here's my 19. I think we'll end up keeping one or two guys from this list and end up cutting one or two more DB's, but I'm not sure who.
QB - Bartel, Richard
RB - Thomas, Marcus - FA Signing from Detroit
RB - Patrick, Allen
WR - Ellis, Devale
WR - Hubbard, Paul (Practice Squad)
WR - Leggett, Lance
WR - Stallworth, Donte
TE - Walker, Aaron - FA Signing from St. Louis (Practice Squad)
OL - Sowells, Isaac
OL - Fry, Dustin
OL - Quarterman, Kurt (we'll have an OL on the practice squad I think)
DL - Purcell, Melila
DL - Smith, Shaun
DL - Thomas, Santonio
LB - Williams, Leon
LB - Holloway, David
LB - Brown, Titus
DB - Abdullah, Hamza
DB - Lawson, Gerard
-
Here's my 19. I think we'll end up keeping one or two guys from this list and end up cutting one or two more DB's, but I'm not sure who.
QB - Bartel, Richard
RB - Thomas, Marcus - FA Signing from Detroit
RB - Patrick, Allen
WR - Ellis, Devale
WR - Hubbard, Paul (Practice Squad)
WR - Leggett, Lance
WR - Stallworth, Donte
TE - Walker, Aaron - FA Signing from St. Louis (Practice Squad)
OL - Sowells, Isaac
OL - Fry, Dustin
OL - Quarterman, Kurt (we'll have an OL on the practice squad I think)
DL - Purcell, Melila
DL - Smith, Shaun
DL - Thomas, Santonio
LB - Williams, Leon
LB - Holloway, David
LB - Brown, Titus
DB - Abdullah, Hamza
DB - Lawson, Gerard
Here's my 19. I think we'll end up keeping one or two guys from this list and end up cutting one or two more DB's, but I'm not sure who.
That's a good list. . . Might be right-on with what I would put together. For some reason I don't think they'll cut Shaun Smith this year, but otherwise I would agree.
-
Here's my 19. I think we'll end up keeping one or two guys from this list and end up cutting one or two more DB's, but I'm not sure who.
QB - Bartel, Richard
RB - Thomas, Marcus - FA Signing from Detroit
RB - Patrick, Allen
WR - Ellis, Devale
WR - Hubbard, Paul (Practice Squad)
WR - Leggett, Lance
WR - Stallworth, Donte
TE - Walker, Aaron - FA Signing from St. Louis (Practice Squad)
OL - Sowells, Isaac
OL - Fry, Dustin
OL - Quarterman, Kurt (we'll have an OL on the practice squad I think)
DL - Purcell, Melila
DL - Smith, Shaun
DL - Thomas, Santonio
LB - Williams, Leon
LB - Holloway, David
LB - Brown, Titus
DB - Abdullah, Hamza
DB - Lawson, Gerard
-
Lewis rushed for 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and was slow to the hole last year because there were no holes... I see Lewis having a great season in 2009...Keep in mind, he was hurt in preseason and played the year at about 85%... Lewis was the 1st Browns back to have back to back 1000 yard seasons since???????
T.Dawg
-
Lewis rushed for 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and was slow to the hole last year because there were no holes... I see Lewis having a great season in 2009...Keep in mind, he was hurt in preseason and played the year at about 85%... Lewis was the 1st Browns back to have back to back 1000 yard seasons since???????
T.Dawg
Lewis rushed for 1000 yards the past 2 seasons and was slow to the hole last year because there were no holes... I see Lewis having a great season in 2009...Keep in mind, he was hurt in preseason and played the year at about 85%... Lewis was the 1st Browns back to have back to back 1000 yard seasons since???????
T.Dawg
Why not use Lewis as FB - He seems big enough. Just not sure how well he can block. Would be a better short yardage guy than Harrison. Harrison had to many big runs last year to just let this guy sit like he did under RAC.
-
@jadbf said:
Kokinis is on record as saying he thinks Lewis still has gas in his tank.Hopefully enough to make it to the unemployment office
-
I think the 19 above is a good start, but have a few comments.
Regarding Fraley, couldn't Steinbach and Hadnot be the backups at C while still being starting Gs? I know Steinbach is thought of as a backup at T, but am I right in thinking that he would be a backup C as well? If Mack starts day 1, then that would enable you to cut Fraley - Steinbach would be able to handle the mentoring thing as well assist in line calls. I can't imagine a new coach who is trying to turn over his roster keeping a backup o-lineman (and a tired old vet to boot) that can play only one position.
Also, if steptoe is cut, then who is the backup kick returner?
-
the less intelligent ones:
Beau Bell
Lawrence Vickers
Kamerian Wimbley
Beau Bell
Lawrence Vickers
Kamerian Wimbley
Holy shit was this post stupid...
-
@inspecta said:
We gave lewis a 6 million roster bonus in march, he's not going anywhere this year.Looks like you put your thinking cap on and figured out how that kind of thing works. Nice job inspecta.
-
the less intelligent ones:
Beau Bell
Lawrence Vickers
Kamerian Wimbley
the less intelligent ones:
Beau Bell
Lawrence Vickers
Kamerian Wimbley
What?! Vickers was a pro bowl alternate and they have nobody to really replace Wimbley yet.
-
QB Richard Bartel
RB Marcus Thomas
RB Patrick Allen
WR Ellis Devale
WR Donte Stallworth
WR Steve Sanders
OL Kurt Quarterman
DL Melila Purcell
LB Titus Brown
LB David Holloway
LB Leon Williams
DB Hazma Abdullah
Take your pick.
QB Richard Bartel
RB Marcus Thomas
RB Patrick Allen
WR Ellis Devale
WR Donte Stallworth
WR Steve Sanders
OL Kurt Quarterman
DL Melila Purcell
LB Titus Brown
LB David Holloway
LB Leon Williams
DB Hazma Abdullah
Take your pick.
Not just to pick you out, but were all of these guys active last year??
I don't think we can cut off practice squad players and expect to arrive at the number.
Just thinking out loud here.
-
@shepwrite said:
Lewis is in another contract year. I expect him to come in buff and hungry, looking to squeeze out one last deal. A lot of his fall off last year can be blamed on Fraley, who got bitched all year long. Mack and hopefully Tucker make this a power running team again.The more I think about it, the more this situation is perfect for Quinn. He's going to have a nice set of receivers, a terrific line, and a hungry Jamal Lewis.
It does add up for Quinn....I will assume he is the guy.
I think as much that went wrong last season might go our way this season.
We might be much better than people think...and face it, Mangini has to be a better game coach...that will have to add something towards possibly pulling out a extra game or two.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
