Skip to content

I turned Brown

The Browns Board
112 27 2.8k
  • I gotta go. Catch you later Gip.

    I understand the love for the Browns stay in Cleveland. But the team left and changed their name. It's a sad thing.

    Go Browns and don't call me anything else.

    @one-post said:

    I gotta go. Catch you later Gip.

    I understand the love for the Browns stay in Cleveland. But the team left and changed their name. It's a sad thing.

    Go Browns and don't call me anything else.

    Well, it didn't....and if you want to wager and lose your hard earned money to me, I will be glad to take it from you.

    The Browns franchise stayed in Cleveland. A new franchise was created in Baltimore.

    These are historical facts.....as much as is the fact that the North won the Civil War. An atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. Lincoln and Kennedy were assasinated.

    Historical facts.

    Lemonade...its delicious.

  • @one-post said:

    I gotta go. Catch you later Gip.

    I understand the love for the Browns stay in Cleveland. But the team left and changed their name. It's a sad thing.

    Go Browns and don't call me anything else.

    Well, it didn't....and if you want to wager and lose your hard earned money to me, I will be glad to take it from you.

    The Browns franchise stayed in Cleveland. A new franchise was created in Baltimore.

    These are historical facts.....as much as is the fact that the North won the Civil War. An atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. Lincoln and Kennedy were assasinated.

    Historical facts.

    Lemonade...its delicious.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, it didn't....and if you want to wager and lose your hard earned money to me, I will be glad to take it from you.

    The Browns franchise stayed in Cleveland. A new franchise was created in Baltimore.

    These are historical facts.....as much as is the fact that the North won the Civil War. An atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. Lincoln and Kennedy were assasinated.

    Historical facts.

    Lemonade...its delicious.

    200.gif#1

  • @one-post said:

    I gotta go. Catch you later Gip.

    I understand the love for the Browns stay in Cleveland. But the team left and changed their name. It's a sad thing.

    Go Browns and don't call me anything else.

    Well, it didn't....and if you want to wager and lose your hard earned money to me, I will be glad to take it from you.

    The Browns franchise stayed in Cleveland. A new franchise was created in Baltimore.

    These are historical facts.....as much as is the fact that the North won the Civil War. An atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. Lincoln and Kennedy were assasinated.

    Historical facts.

    Lemonade...its delicious.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, it didn't....and if you want to wager and lose your hard earned money to me, I will be glad to take it from you.

    The Browns franchise stayed in Cleveland. A new franchise was created in Baltimore.

    These are historical facts.....as much as is the fact that the North won the Civil War. An atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. Lincoln and Kennedy were assasinated.

    Historical facts.

    Lemonade...its delicious.

    Ok Gip you win.

    The Browns left Cleveland and moved to Baltimore then changed their name. If any record of the Ravens being the Ravens before the move I see your point. But hey Gip you're the man.

    I like the Browns now and fuck the Cards, anyway you slice it don't doubt my fandom. Peace.

  • @one-post said:

    No just clarifying your honor.

    So if the Browns had a franchise then why didn't they play anyone? They were playing in Baltimore dumbass. Lol

    No, dumbass.....you have no clue what a "franchise" is apparently. A franchise can and has existed even though it does not field a team. It has happened more than once in history. It has happened to the Rams, the Steelers...and even the Cardinals.

    When an expansion franchise is created....it is still a franchise upon its creation. It may not take the field for a couple of years, yet that franchise still exists. Happened with the Jag/Panthers/Texans etc.

    Not sure why you are so obtuse over this concept.

    @the-gipper said:

    No, dumbass.....you have no clue what a "franchise" is apparently. A franchise can and has existed even though it does not field a team. It has happened more than once in history. It has happened to the Rams, the Steelers...and even the Cardinals.

    When an expansion franchise is created....it is still a franchise upon its creation. It may not take the field for a couple of years, yet that franchise still exists. Happened with the Jag/Panthers/Texans etc.

    Not sure why you are so obtuse over this concept.

    Ok so a franchise has no owner or players or coaches much less a stadium? No money or play an nfl game in three years. Yep I'm a dumbass. Hey here in virden il I dream of an nfl team so I guess I have a franchise.
  • The way I recall it, Modell left and took some people with him. He left behind the name, colors and trophy case. The team didn't play for 3 years. Then returned to the field under the ownership of Al Lerner

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, it didn't....and if you want to wager and lose your hard earned money to me, I will be glad to take it from you.

    The Browns franchise stayed in Cleveland. A new franchise was created in Baltimore.

    These are historical facts.....as much as is the fact that the North won the Civil War. An atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. Lincoln and Kennedy were assasinated.

    Historical facts.

    Lemonade...its delicious.

    Ok Gip you win.

    The Browns left Cleveland and moved to Baltimore then changed their name. If any record of the Ravens being the Ravens before the move I see your point. But hey Gip you're the man.

    I like the Browns now and fuck the Cards, anyway you slice it don't doubt my fandom. Peace.

    @one-post said:

    Ok Gip you win.

    The Browns left Cleveland and moved to Baltimore then changed their name. If any record of the Ravens being the Ravens before the move I see your point. But hey Gip you're the man.

    OK, you are being foolish again. A. the Browns never left Cleveland....never changed their name.

    The Ravens were a new franchise created in 1996....so,no, you won't see any record of them before then...just like you won't see any record of any other expansion franchise before they actually took the field.

    I like the Browns now and fuck the Cards, anyway you slice it don't doubt my fandom. Peace.

    I will try not to. Love and Understanding. What's so funny about that?

  • @the-gipper said:

    No, dumbass.....you have no clue what a "franchise" is apparently. A franchise can and has existed even though it does not field a team. It has happened more than once in history. It has happened to the Rams, the Steelers...and even the Cardinals.

    When an expansion franchise is created....it is still a franchise upon its creation. It may not take the field for a couple of years, yet that franchise still exists. Happened with the Jag/Panthers/Texans etc.

    Not sure why you are so obtuse over this concept.

    Ok so a franchise has no owner or players or coaches much less a stadium? No money or play an nfl game in three years. Yep I'm a dumbass. Hey here in virden il I dream of an nfl team so I guess I have a franchise.

    @one-post said:

    Ok so a franchise has no owner or players or coaches much less a stadium? No money or play an nfl game in three years. Yep I'm a dumbass. Hey here in virden il I dream of an nfl team so I guess I have a franchise.

    Yes...sort of. It was held in trust...and being managed by a Trustee. They began a process for finding a new owner. (Al Lerner became the successful bidder...and he in fact owned the team for about a year and a half before it retook the field, taking over managment from the Trustee). They were in the process of tearing down the old and building the new stadium. They began a process of acquiring players.

    But, no, they had money. In the interim the money was seed money provided by the NFL....then Lerner provided all the operating costs when he took over.

    If you in Virden Ill.....have an official franchise charter issued to you by the NFL.....and if you had a headquarters building, and a training facility....as the Browns had and maintained all the time, then perhaps you could have had an NFL franchise.

    Did you have that? Of course not.

    I really don't think this is all that complicated to comprehend. Let me try this:

    I can own say, a McDonald's franchise....issued to me by the McDonald's corporation. (McDonald's does have area franchises that are being held by corporate, waiting for people to buy the franchise). It is still a franchise, even if I haven't built the building, hired the employees, or fried a single hamburger yet.

    YOU can't have that McDonald's franchise until you bid for it.

  • The way I recall it, Modell left and took some people with him. He left behind the name, colors and trophy case. The team didn't play for 3 years. Then returned to the field under the ownership of Al Lerner

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    The way I recall it, Modell left and took some people with him. He left behind the name, colors and trophy case. The team didn't play for 3 years. Then returned to the field under the ownership of Al Lerner

    Yes, Modell surrendered his right to the Cleveland franchise. The NFL awarded him the new Baltimore franchise....later called Ravens.

    Name/colors/trophies are just accoutrements of the franchise itself.

  • The way I recall it, Modell left and took some people with him. He left behind the name, colors and trophy case. The team didn't play for 3 years. Then returned to the field under the ownership of Al Lerner

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    The way I recall it, Modell left and took some people with him. He left behind the name, colors and trophy case. The team didn't play for 3 years. Then returned to the field under the ownership of Al Lerner

    Sort of... leaving the franchise behind was not voluntary.

    • On November 6, 1995... Modell announced in a press conference at Camden Yards that he had signed a deal to relocate the Browns to Baltimore in 1996.
    • The City of Cleveland sued Modell, the Browns, Stadium Corp, the Maryland Stadium Authority, and the authority's director, John A. Moag Jr...
    • After extensive talks between the NFL, the Browns, and officials of the two cities, Cleveland accepted a legal settlement that would keep the Browns' legacy in Cleveland. This was announced on Feb. 8, 1996.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns_relocation_controversy#Announcing_the_move

    https://web.archive.org/web/19961112100905/http://www.nfl.com/browns/agreement.html

    Certainly Modell's original intent was to move the franchise. The name "Baltimore Browns" appeared in news articles.

    Whether the franchise ever left depends upon how you view a very short window from the end of our '95 regular season on December 24th and the Feb, 1996 announcement of the settlement. I found some player transaction records in Jan, 1996, but the Browns team logo, not the name, were used to ID the organization making the moves. Modell also had offices in both cities for a period that included Feb, 1996.

    A separate suit filed by Browns season ticket holders was not settled until 2001.

  • @one-post said:

    Ok so a franchise has no owner or players or coaches much less a stadium? No money or play an nfl game in three years. Yep I'm a dumbass. Hey here in virden il I dream of an nfl team so I guess I have a franchise.

    Yes...sort of. It was held in trust...and being managed by a Trustee. They began a process for finding a new owner. (Al Lerner became the successful bidder...and he in fact owned the team for about a year and a half before it retook the field, taking over managment from the Trustee). They were in the process of tearing down the old and building the new stadium. They began a process of acquiring players.

    But, no, they had money. In the interim the money was seed money provided by the NFL....then Lerner provided all the operating costs when he took over.

    If you in Virden Ill.....have an official franchise charter issued to you by the NFL.....and if you had a headquarters building, and a training facility....as the Browns had and maintained all the time, then perhaps you could have had an NFL franchise.

    Did you have that? Of course not.

    I really don't think this is all that complicated to comprehend. Let me try this:

    I can own say, a McDonald's franchise....issued to me by the McDonald's corporation. (McDonald's does have area franchises that are being held by corporate, waiting for people to buy the franchise). It is still a franchise, even if I haven't built the building, hired the employees, or fried a single hamburger yet.

    YOU can't have that McDonald's franchise until you bid for it.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes...sort of. It was held in trust...and being managed by a Trustee. They began a process for finding a new owner. (Al Lerner became the successful bidder...and he in fact owned the team for about a year and a half before it retook the field, taking over managment from the Trustee). They were in the process of tearing down the old and building the new stadium. They began a process of acquiring players.

    But, no, they had money. In the interim the money was seed money provided by the NFL....then Lerner provided all the operating costs when he took over.

    If you in Virden Ill.....have an official franchise charter issued to you by the NFL.....and if you had a headquarters building, and a training facility....as the Browns had and maintained all the time, then perhaps you could have had an NFL franchise.

    Did you have that? Of course not.

    I really don't think this is all that complicated to comprehend. Let me try this:

    I can own say, a McDonald's franchise....issued to me by the McDonald's corporation. (McDonald's does have area franchises that are being held by corporate, waiting for people to buy the franchise). It is still a franchise, even if I haven't built the building, hired the employees, or fried a single hamburger yet.

    YOU can't have that McDonald's franchise until you bid for it.

    Lord, are we still arguing about this 21 years down the road? The simple way of looking at it is suppose Modell owned a McDonald's Franchise in Cleveland. He wanted to move everything to Baltimore. McDonald's says no, we'll grant you a new McD's franchise in Baltimore. The corporation takes control of the Cleveland franchise, and Modell moves all his employees to Baltimore to his new franchise. That's what happened in a nutshell. Some people still cant understand the difference between team and franchise. The Browns franchise never moved, and is still the exact same one since 1946. The Ravens were the expansion franchise, the 1999 Browns were an expansion team.

    It's more than just semantics. I could pull 55 big guys off the street, and say I'm resurrecting the Dayton Triangles- I'd have a team, but I doubt the NFL would recognize me a a legit franchise.

  • I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

  • I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

    @one-post said:

    I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

    There is no winning or losing. This was not a debate, where one opinion or another may prevail or be accepted. This was simply getting facts straight.

  • I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

    @one-post said:

    I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

  • @one-post said:

    I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

    Lesson learned. Fwiw I hate the Ravens too. Fuck Ray Lewsis and his big mouth and fake religion. He needs to be in prison and Joe Flacco is gay.
  • @one-post said:

    I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

    Unfortunately it seems that about every few months we have to educate people on this....friend or foe.

  • Zombo said:

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

    Unfortunately it seems that about every few months we have to educate people on this....friend or foe.

    @the-gipper said:

    Unfortunately it seems that about every few months we have to educate people on this....friend or foe.

    You teach me about the Browns and I'll teach you how to break a metphormin 1000mg tablet with one hand. It's quite a feat actually. 🙂
  • But ya Gip the Browns didn't exist for three seasons. No owner or players yep I'm obtuse.

  • @one-post said:

    I said you win GIp. Goddamn.

    Go Browns!

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    This is his "thing".

    Now you know.

    It is much more fun when unleashed on a Steeler fan ... or the Holy Grail of elusive trolls ... the Ratbird fan.

    Zombo

    Fwiw, most stool fans are obvious living proof that anal sex can and does result in pregnancy. Flying rat fans are the droppings of stool fans. And they do tend to make it obvious.
  • @orion said:

    ....and look what they went it did to our uni's! 🙁

    --------------

    Baltimore moves to Indy

    St. Louis moves to Arizona

    Los Angeles moves to St. Louis

    Cleveland moves to Baltimore

    Browns didn't move to Baltimore

    Cleveland gets a new franchise

    Baltimore got the new franchise.....again these are the Facts. Sorry if you are clueless about them. (and it would be better to use the name of the teams that did actually move....I don't think the earth shook and Los Angeles ended up in the middle of the country....the Rams franchise did move all those times. The Browns franchise never moved at all, ever.

    Los Angeles who moved to St. Louis moves back to Los Angeles

    ...certainly, in hindsight it looks like total madness.

    @the-gipper said:

    @orion said:

    ....and look what they went it did to our uni's! 🙁

    --------------

    Baltimore moves to Indy

    St. Louis moves to Arizona

    Los Angeles moves to St. Louis

    Cleveland moves to Baltimore

    Browns didn't move to Baltimore

    Cleveland gets a new franchise

    Baltimore got the new franchise.....again these are the Facts. Sorry if you are clueless about them. (and it would be better to use the name of the teams that did actually move....I don't think the earth shook and Los Angeles ended up in the middle of the country....the Rams franchise did move all those times. The Browns franchise never moved at all, ever.

    Los Angeles who moved to St. Louis moves back to Los Angeles

    ...certainly, in hindsight it looks like total madness.

    I used city names for a reason. (you don't get it, I understand that )

    And the Browns most certainly DID move to Baltimore. (you must have missed it)

    It was later determined that they weren't allowed to keep the nickname of Browns, the colors or tradition.and had to pick new nickname with new colors...because Cleveland was getting a new franchise (with a new plan B expansion draft) and would be using the name Browns with the namesake's past history & tradition.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Unfortunately it seems that about every few months we have to educate people on this....friend or foe.

    You teach me about the Browns and I'll teach you how to break a metphormin 1000mg tablet with one hand. It's quite a feat actually. 🙂

    @one-post said:

    You teach me about the Browns and I'll teach you how to break a metphormin 1000mg tablet with one hand. It's quite a feat actually. 🙂

    When you begin your own Metphormin Board, and if you see me sign up to participate in that, yes you can teach me about it.