Skip to content

I called it before the season started that some of you wouldn't make it halfway through before..

The Browns Board
79 21 1.9k
  • C CaineDeSoulis wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Stadium is leased through 2029 so we wont move until atleast 2030 even if we go 0 and 208

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    At this point in time he needs to stay a minimum amount of years so that good coaches might be interested. If he really does turn out to be just another bum, it has to be proven to other potential coaches that even the bums get a fair shot. And I guarantee those guys will not think of themselves as bums and will believe they get the time it takes to be miracle workers.

    Bottom line. We're stuck for the duration 3-5 years.

  • Here's the thing. We are not heavily entrenched with this coach yet. He's only been here ten months or so. If as an organization you've already come to the conclusion that 'this guy is NOT what we thought he was' then cutting bait early might not be the worst thing in the world.

    Coaching continuity is something we sorely need...but you've got to have the right type of guy first.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @orion said:

    Here's the thing. We are not heavily entrenched with this coach yet. He's only been here ten months or so. If as an organization you've already come to the conclusion that 'this guy is NOT what we thought he was' then cutting bait early might not be the worst thing in the world.

    Coaching continuity is something we sorely need...but you've got to have the right type of guy first.

    Ha, you think "the right type of guy" is just going to be obvious? We can put Ghoolie on the search committee, LOL. Hue was about the hottest HC prospect out there when we hired him. Remember? He had one thing all the other guys in the Haslam ownership didn't have- previous HC experience.

    Jimmy barely had his feet wet as Browns owner when he sent Shurmer packing- a move I approved of. Then he gave Chudinski one year, (not enough IMHO). Pettine got two seasons, but he was saddled with that albatross Johnny Football, and a clueless Ray Farmer.

    So now it's on to Hue, Sashi, and Depodesta.Time will tell if this is the right move- and that's what's going to happen this time. As others have said- if Jimmy blows it up yet again after an 0-16 season, he's only going to get D III coaches and recycled FO types looking for a paycheck.

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Nobody wants to see Hue fail. But he has shown us that he's either inept or just plain over his head. The game against Baltimore had to be the worst Browns loss in recent memory. Two timeouts in the first five minutes! Replacing the quarterback with a guy who was sacked three times for losses, intercepted, his balls were batted down and the game turned into another comedy act. This time on national television. I'd play a healthy Kessler or Hogan every time before an old journeyman backup with injuries.

    Hue made an ass out of himself, Cleveland and the team!

    Sorry to criticize an 0-10 team after 55 years of being a fan. Hue is not what we thought he was. He's another Haslam lackey who wanted a cheap win and it backfired.

    I didn't like the draft and I didn't like the third round pick to get Kessler. But all of us were rooting for Cody Thursday night. He didn't do anything to get benched. What does that say about coach Jackson? Is he some kind of psychic Genie? What's worse is his post game bullsh*t.

    He stinks!

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #24

    We could trade Hue...

    SF might be willing to deal Chip to us.

    Then Jimmah would finally land have his first, true HC love... four-years later...

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #25

    can't blow it up. we know the tank is in and a lot of us knew before the season.

    but there has to be a measuring stick (?). there has to be a deadline. the this has to be done by then date. when is it for hue and the FO? another year of garbage talent ain't gonna cut it. i mean a lot here bitch about those who bitch BUT to a large extent i think most of us 'bitchers' have held it together quite nicely so far. but week number 6 next year the kettle on the stove will have been on for hours and the steam will be making that piercing noise…...

  • can't blow it up. we know the tank is in and a lot of us knew before the season.

    but there has to be a measuring stick (?). there has to be a deadline. the this has to be done by then date. when is it for hue and the FO? another year of garbage talent ain't gonna cut it. i mean a lot here bitch about those who bitch BUT to a large extent i think most of us 'bitchers' have held it together quite nicely so far. but week number 6 next year the kettle on the stove will have been on for hours and the steam will be making that piercing noise…...

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @miktoxic said:

    can't blow it up. we know the tank is in and a lot of us knew before the season.

    but there has to be a measuring stick (?). there has to be a deadline. the this has to be done by then date. when is it for hue and the FO? another year of garbage talent ain't gonna cut it. i mean a lot here bitch about those who bitch BUT to a large extent i think most of us 'bitchers' have held it together quite nicely so far. but week number 6 next year the kettle on the stove will have been on for hours and the steam will be making that piercing noise…...

    Nah mik- it's week #7. that's when we have the potential to tie Tampa's record for consecutive losses.

    I honestly don't see the Browns winning a game this season. If they do, big surprise. As Ag said after week 8, that's when we should have started seeing some improvement with the young 'uns. I haven't seen anything dramatic yet. As a team they've regressed. Hue pulling Kessler because supposedly he wanted Cody to take some chances. I hope he was really happy watching Josh take chances while we were getting blown out in the second half.

  • StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by StinkHole
    #27

    Prophetic Cleve comes through again.

    Yeah you called it...you also predicted Pettine wasn't going anywhere, and that no way Trump would become president. So go ahead and use this rare opportunity to puff your chest out.(please no one turn this into a political discussion)

    I believe Hue can turn it around.

    Eventually.

    But so could have Eric Mangini turned it around. Eventually. Problem is that browns fans want a winner now. Been waiting way too long, and wanting a winner now is understandable.

    Coaches don't want to come here. The coaches that do know full well they are taking a risk, and have evaluated the risk/reward possibilities.

    The reward is of epic proportions. If they are "the one" that has finally succeeded in Cleveland, the one that brings back the once rich tradition this team once enjoyed, then that coach becomes a God in this rabid football town...and highly respected throughout the league.

    The risk is that if he fails, his head coaching opportunities go down the toilet...his future is relegated to some assistant or coordinator job.

    Kinda like how Cleveland ruins quarterbacks.

    If I'm not mistaken Romeo Crennel was the only fired browns coach to become a head coach elsewhere....but not immediately. He was a coordinator first and kind of fell into the position because he was already there.

  • Prophetic Cleve comes through again.

    Yeah you called it...you also predicted Pettine wasn't going anywhere, and that no way Trump would become president. So go ahead and use this rare opportunity to puff your chest out.(please no one turn this into a political discussion)

    I believe Hue can turn it around.

    Eventually.

    But so could have Eric Mangini turned it around. Eventually. Problem is that browns fans want a winner now. Been waiting way too long, and wanting a winner now is understandable.

    Coaches don't want to come here. The coaches that do know full well they are taking a risk, and have evaluated the risk/reward possibilities.

    The reward is of epic proportions. If they are "the one" that has finally succeeded in Cleveland, the one that brings back the once rich tradition this team once enjoyed, then that coach becomes a God in this rabid football town...and highly respected throughout the league.

    The risk is that if he fails, his head coaching opportunities go down the toilet...his future is relegated to some assistant or coordinator job.

    Kinda like how Cleveland ruins quarterbacks.

    If I'm not mistaken Romeo Crennel was the only fired browns coach to become a head coach elsewhere....but not immediately. He was a coordinator first and kind of fell into the position because he was already there.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @stinkhole said:

    (please no one turn this into a political discussion)

    Says the guy who opened the door...

    How 'bout dem Cowboys!

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Yeah I don't get it. Every year - "we need stability guys! but, we need to find the right coach before stability!" You know, the one that can come in to an organisation that is 37-90 since 2008, has basically like 3 good players, and immediately turn them in to a winning team based on less and less coaching time allowed. That guy, that'll be obvious right? And so we just keep firing guys after a year or two until we find him?

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #30

    what we need most that we've been missing since the rebirth is a roster.

    i mean a roster with more than just 2-3 guys you can point to. a roster of linemen on both sides of the ball that will beat the piss out of you. thank you dallas and oakland and any other good team for pointing that out to fans of the diva WRs and flashy QBs. get the beef up front then add the steak sauce.

  • what we need most that we've been missing since the rebirth is a roster.

    i mean a roster with more than just 2-3 guys you can point to. a roster of linemen on both sides of the ball that will beat the piss out of you. thank you dallas and oakland and any other good team for pointing that out to fans of the diva WRs and flashy QBs. get the beef up front then add the steak sauce.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @miktoxic said:

    what we need most that we've been missing since the rebirth is a roster.

    i mean a roster with more than just 2-3 guys you can point to. a roster of linemen on both sides of the ball that will beat the piss out of you. thank you dallas and oakland and any other good team for pointing that out to fans of the diva WRs and flashy QBs. get the beef up front then add the steak sauce.

    Is that hearsay or heresy? Or both? 😁

  • Yeah I don't get it. Every year - "we need stability guys! but, we need to find the right coach before stability!" You know, the one that can come in to an organisation that is 37-90 since 2008, has basically like 3 good players, and immediately turn them in to a winning team based on less and less coaching time allowed. That guy, that'll be obvious right? And so we just keep firing guys after a year or two until we find him?

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @gftchris said:

    Yeah I don't get it. Every year - "we need stability guys! but, we need to find the right coach before stability!" You know, the one that can come in to an organisation that is 37-90 since 2008, has basically like 3 good players, and immediately turn them in to a winning team based on less and less coaching time allowed. That guy, that'll be obvious right? And so we just keep firing guys after a year or two until we find him?

    A stat that's even worse. Since 1999 we are 5-11 average overall

  • @gftchris said:

    Yeah I don't get it. Every year - "we need stability guys! but, we need to find the right coach before stability!" You know, the one that can come in to an organisation that is 37-90 since 2008, has basically like 3 good players, and immediately turn them in to a winning team based on less and less coaching time allowed. That guy, that'll be obvious right? And so we just keep firing guys after a year or two until we find him?

    A stat that's even worse. Since 1999 we are 5-11 average overall

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    A stat that's even worse. Since 1999 we are 5-11 average overall

    The one thing that struck me is that .500 stat. Since the birth of the franchise, the browns had never been at .500, let alone below it. The days of newsome, brown, kosar etc meant that even though this team has lost about a hundred more games than it's won since its return in '99, the total record was still a winning one. This shell of a franchise has finally even sucked that record away.

    I guess it's a sign of parity, it's just taken a generation of losing to overcome the generation(s) of winning previously. Maybe now we can move forward, and keep this franchise over .500.

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Stinkhole, Hue WANTED to come here. He WANTED this, a chance to turn it around. He has made some dumb moves for sure, but I for one thinks that he can get the ship righted.

    Yeah, the way it looks the Browns blew a few games early, and 0-16 is looking real unless there's a turnover fest or a nasty weather game that turns into a game neutralizer.

    The diehards will hang on. This sucks now & has sucked bad since 2007. Mostly sucked since Modell fired Paul Brown.

    Stand pat in the draft, no trading down, and better days lie ahead.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Listen, I would guess that 99% of Browns fans KNOW that "blowing it up" isn't the right thing to do, but what people need to understand is fans are absurdly frustrated. Fans don't really have an outlet for that frustration OTHER than saying "fire the coach!" or "fire the DC!". The team obviously isn't going to get a new owner, so what is there REALLY to change, right?

    I don't know one single fan who REALLY thought we'd have a good season. In fact, most of us were solidly rooted in the "this year will completely suck" camp, but even those people probably didn't think we'd be 0-10. Even ONE victory helps and lessens the sting of complete suckdom, and to be honest, WE SHOULD'VE HAD that one victory. Hell, we probably should've had more than one. I said before the season started that we might actually shock some people, and start off 2-2, or 2-3...something like that. I wasn't THAT far off, as we came out swinging and just couldn't finish. I then said that once the injuries started to mount, we'd begin the severe losing because bad teams simply don't have the depth. That's where we're at now.

    I want to win ONE game, and that's it. I want the top pick in the draft so bad I can taste it. As luck would have it, there is no "Andrew Luck or Jameis Winston" type QB coming out, and that's how it is for us. I could argue that Trubiskey has just as high of a ceiling, but whatever. We need the top pick so we can do whatever we want, whether it's trading it (noooo!), or just taking the guy we want. I think we still will win a game, but I also think the 49's will beat the Bears, so we won't be in jeopardy of losing the top selection.

    Browns fans are tired of the losing, tired of looking like crap, and we want something to be proud of. That being said, I don't really believe ANYONE when they say Hue Jackson has to go. Even Ray Horton, who I NEVER loved, deserves two years. If we aren't making SOME kind of progress by 32 games, then yes...he can go. But we aren't losing Hue Jackson. Who could we POSSIBLY replace him with? So Browns fans, if you want to say "Fire Hue Jackson!", I get it, I really do. You're frustrated, and you should be. But I don't really believe that's truly what you want.

    I like Cody Kessler, but I'm not sure he's more than a good backup. But guess what? How important is a backup QB in today's NFL? And you know what else? Maybe Cody continues to GET BETTER! Maybe he IS the guy. We don't know right now, and we can always hope. I DO KNOW that Cody needs more time to throw. I DO KNOW he needs a running game. And I DAMN SURE KNOW he needs a defense that can string together two solid halves and keep the opposition out of the damn end zone.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #36

    I agree, and we *would* have had that one victory had our kicker not broken himself the day before the Miami game, or had we not had that XP blocked and returned against the Ravens, or, or, or...

    It sucks that we're winless but if we reset the season and run it through again a hundred times, in 90% of them we're not winless at this stage. We probably end up somewhere between 2-14 and 5-11.

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Ya, if anything gets blown up, it should be the owner. Hopefully he gets it before then. I still don't quite get the chain of command yet. Guess I'm still old skool... Hire a GM, he is in charge of hiring a coach and axes staff as needed. Farmer was a puppet gm and now it's a triad? Quad? Duo? Poof! It's like....confusing.

  • Ya, if anything gets blown up, it should be the owner. Hopefully he gets it before then. I still don't quite get the chain of command yet. Guess I'm still old skool... Hire a GM, he is in charge of hiring a coach and axes staff as needed. Farmer was a puppet gm and now it's a triad? Quad? Duo? Poof! It's like....confusing.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Ya, if anything gets blown up, it should be the owner. Hopefully he gets it before then. I still don't quite get the chain of command yet. Guess I'm still old skool... Hire a GM, he is in charge of hiring a coach and axes staff as needed. Farmer was a puppet gm and now it's a triad? Quad? Duo? Poof! It's like....confusing.

    It's like Jimmy has deferred power to Sashi, to be 'decision maker in chief', where big decisions are made by a committee of he, paul depodesta, hue jackson and maybe the relevant other guy - andrew berry for player acquisition, ray horton for defensive stuff, pep hamilton for offensive stuff etc.

    Sashi has the final say, and it's his job to not fall in love with a player, or overreact to a few bad games etc.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    I think we're going to be ok, but it'll take some time. Let's look at this last draft for instance. I've heard that it takes a few years until the success/failure of a draft can fully be evaluated, but when we look at this previous draft, I think I can make an argument for it being a success. Was it perfect? Of course not. Did we miss on players? Hell yes we did, as did other teams. Nobody saw Dak Prescott being that good, and while he went to the perfect team, it's safe to say that he took those advantages and ran with them. But let's look at what we DO have. Coleman shows promise, and was derailed by a crazy, bullshit injury. Just our luck. Ogbah has flashed, but remains largely inconsistent to my eyes. He does NOT, however, appear to be a "bust". He needs to finish strong, and it was good to see him get a few hits on Flacco. That one penalty on him was total crap. Nassib has also flashed, although his play seems to have tailed off after the injury. He remains a threat to knock down passes, and his motor is high, but he too needs to finish strong. Seth Devalve has struggled just to get on the field, and his injury history has definitely flared up in the worst way. But you know what? We thought he could be a mismatch guy, and he put that on full display with that incredible touchdown against the Ravens. This was no 4 yard quick hitch, it was a deep pass beautifully executed by our offense that gave us the LEAD. No garbage time here. It was a huge play. To me, that's promise.

    And what about the Collins trade? It was a shocking, ballsy, and amazing trade we executed to give us a defensive spark, and it worked. Now, Collins is just one guy, but his presence has been noted. He literally can "do it all", but nothing will matter with him if he walks at the end of the year. I don't care WHAT IT TAKES, we simply must lock him up. I don't care if he's the highest paid player on our team. He's THAT important.

    Although not a draft pick, how about Terrell Pryor? Just like with Collins, we HAVE to find a way to lock him up as well. We found Pryor, nurtured his ability, and we need to KEEP HIM. He's another success story, as is Cody Kessler. As I previously stated, Cody might not be the starter we so desperately need, but at the very least, he IS a solid backup. That's important, and we drafted him.

    What I'm saying is, we actually have a few successes. It might not mean much because we're 0-10, but I think it does. We're building a FOUNDATION. 2017 Draft will mean everything for our team. But the front office we have now made some good moves, we've selected some promising young guys, and I think maybe...just maybe...we have finally got it right. Talk to me this time NEXT year, and let's see where we are. Do I expect to make the playoffs next year? No, no I don't. But do I expect us to be CLOSE? Yep.