Skip to content

Call your shot. OSU VS UM

College Football Forum
160 18 6.2k
  • Even if UM improves their recruiting...they are still not doing better at it than Ohio St.

    Based on what? Why would Michigan not be able to match OSU in recruiting?

    If the talent level is so much better...then why was Harbaugh starting 17 seniors....guys he didn't recruit...over the younger guys he did recruit. [./quote]

    Because there is something to be said for game experience and more time in a college weight room. A team full of Harbaugh recruits, coached up for 4+ years, will be better and have more depth tho. That's the point.

    I agree he has coached them much better than the previous guy. I am just not sure your younger guys are any better than the guys you have leaving...pure talent wise.

    You are only expecting...hoping that is the case in order to close the gap. You are simply being Dusty Springfield.

    I know some on here don't like to admit it, but recruiting rankings do mean something. Even outside of that, we saw how much more these players progressed under Harbaugh than Hoke. It would stand to reason that, all else equal, a player with 4 years of Harbaugh's staff will be better than a player with 2 years in Harbaugh's staff.

    @mld-woody said:

    Based on what? Why would Michigan not be able to match OSU in recruiting?

    Because Michigan sucks and Ohio state rules. All the recruits know that.

    If the talent level is so much better...then why was Harbaugh starting 17 seniors....guys he didn't recruit...over the younger guys he did recruit. [./quote]

    Because there is something to be said for game experience and more time in a college weight room. A team full of Harbaugh recruits, coached up for 4+ years, will be better and have more depth tho. That's the point.

    Well, they will be better coached than they were before, I will grant that. But to conclude that UM under Harbaugh has not reached its optimum is pure speculation.

    I agree he has coached them much better than the previous guy. I am just not sure your younger guys are any better than the guys you have leaving...pure talent wise.

    You are only expecting...hoping that is the case in order to close the gap. You are simply being Dusty Springfield.

    I know some on here don't like to admit it, but recruiting rankings do mean something. Even outside of that, we saw how much more these players progressed under Harbaugh than Hoke. It would stand to reason that, all else equal, a player with 4 years of Harbaugh's staff will be better than a player with 2 years in Harbaugh's staff.

    OK, perhaps....but they won't be as good as a player with any time spent with Meyer's staff. (except though...perhaps, Meyer's staff keeps getting poached to take HC jobs at other schools. Herman, Ash, Durkin...just to name a few. If Mich has the success you think they will have under Harbaugh....he could begin to lose people just as OSU has)

    As for recruiting rankings....if you do believe what you say, then UM has by no means closed the gap:

    http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

    Per this, OSU has already bagged 8 of the Top 50 recruits. Michigan: none. Alabama 6. Still many undecideds.

  • @mld-woody said:

    You clearly don't know much about Harbaugh. The man idolizes Bo. He walks the same path to work each day that Bo walks. He does the walk to Bo's grave each year. He dresses like him. He tries to embody him whenever he can. So yes, the fact he lives right where Bo used to does pplay a huge significance.

    You said that Harbaugh's kids go to school where Bo's kids went to school. Well, hell my Dad went to school at the same school as Bo....does that mean I am going to get a job coaching at UM.

    Another absurdity.

    No. Harbaugh's kids go to school where HE used to go to school.

    The "connection" in your quote literally makes no sense. If you want to admit you're purposely being absurd (an idiot) again, go for it. But it literally means nothing in the context of this conversation.

    I've already explained to you why counting the number of Sr's on our team, and assume we'll be down now because they're leaving, doesn't really make sense, is lazy, and shows a lack of understanding for the situation. I've already told you that Harbaugh will be recruiting right at the same level of OSU. Very soon we'll have the same level of talent and depth.

    I tried to do that all in one post but this site was NOT a fan

    So which senior starters are you willing to call garbage that couldn't beat a couple of kids that were playing high school ball last year?

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    So which senior starters are you willing to call garbage that couldn't beat a couple of kids that were playing high school ball last year?

    Sigh

    The point isn't that they're garbage. The point is that their skill level as seniors will be lower than what we'll have going forward (and lower than what OSU has now).

    Where is OSU starting true freshman?

  • "Yeah it happens. So be it. The loss has been hanging out there for about three games waiting for someone to reach out and grab it and Penn state did. It is what it is. This is a team full of young guys and they'll get better. If Michigan manages to get in the playoffs I'll still hate them but I'll reluctantly root for them over Alabama."

    This is what I commented when OSU lost to Penn state. Note how I didn't complain about refs or the fluky nature of the two blocked kicks and all that. That's reasonable and level headed. Taking away all the other shit blaming the refs, trying to paint them as corrupt and biased isn't level headed or fair. It's excuse making. Speight was mediocre. Michigan's rushing attack failed to materialize and their top ranked defense fell apart where Ohio State's held. That's all there is to it.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    "Yeah it happens. So be it. The loss has been hanging out there for about three games waiting for someone to reach out and grab it and Penn state did. It is what it is. This is a team full of young guys and they'll get better. If Michigan manages to get in the playoffs I'll still hate them but I'll reluctantly root for them over Alabama."

    This is what I commented when OSU lost to Penn state. Note how I didn't complain about refs or the fluky nature of the two blocked kicks and all that. That's reasonable and level headed. Taking away all the other shit blaming the refs, trying to paint them as corrupt and biased isn't level headed or fair. It's excuse making. Speight was mediocre. Michigan's rushing attack failed to materialize and their top ranked defense fell apart where Ohio State's held. That's all there is to it.

    Did you have objectively bad calls to bring up?

    Was there an open OSU fan ref that was previously not allowed to ref PSU s big games?

    I mean, I wouldn't expect t you to make this argument if you don't have anything to support it....

  • @mld-woody said:

    Due to a lack of better judgement, I am going to re-enter the thread and respond to all of Gipper's posts in one reply. I am sure, by the time I am done reading his responses, I am going to be in a state of disbelief and frustration. Here we go:

    We lose our starting HB, but have a pretty deep group there (they all got a lot of time). Both WRs (which hurts). #1 TE, which hurts. 3 OL. 3 DL, which hurts. MLB. 2 Cbs. 2 Ss. K/P. Add Peppers. That's 17. Definitely a sizable group.

    What you have to understand though is these guys were all Hoke recruits. They spent 2 or 3 years being coached and developed by that staff, and that staff showed the inability to really develop many positions. A Sr(RS) OL leaving is a MUCH bigger loss if he's spent all 5 years with Harbaugh, than the situation we have now. Our OL was the weakest part of our team. Losing 3 Srs in the group looks much worse on paper than it actually is.

    This all plays back to the depth and talent points I was making earlier. Which ties into Meyer being in year 5, and Harbaugh year 2. This is a Sr heavy team, that doesn't mean all of those seniors are very good. Many will be easily replaced by the recruits Harbaugh has brought in and developed.

    2015 was a romp. Our DC was interviewing for Maryland that week and didn't show up at all to stop your O

    2014 blew open in the 4th

    2013 was a 1 pt win when our QB had a broken foot

    2012 was a 5 pt win

    Just sayin

    Again, the report I saw was the UM was losing 17 senior starters.

    If those seniors are not very good, and can easily be replaced by Harbaugh recruits....then why were'nt they?

    You seem to be denigrating the seniors you have playing. Why?

    Jesus, how many players did OSU lose in the draft last year? How many high draft picks.

    @the-gipper said:

    Again, the report I saw was the UM was losing 17 senior starters.

    If those seniors are not very good, and can easily be replaced by Harbaugh recruits....then why were'nt they?

    You seem to be denigrating the seniors you have playing. Why?

    Jesus, how many players did OSU lose in the draft last year? How many high draft picks.

    Yes, a number. And I've given you background to that number. You choose to ignore it.

    I never said they could easily be replaced by freshman and sophomores. That doesn't mean they're at the skill level our seniors will have going forward. Understand the difference?

    OSUs team last year literally has nothing to do with this "discussion"

  • @the-gipper said:

    Again, the report I saw was the UM was losing 17 senior starters.

    If those seniors are not very good, and can easily be replaced by Harbaugh recruits....then why were'nt they?

    You seem to be denigrating the seniors you have playing. Why?

    Jesus, how many players did OSU lose in the draft last year? How many high draft picks.

    Yes, a number. And I've given you background to that number. You choose to ignore it.

    I never said they could easily be replaced by freshman and sophomores. That doesn't mean they're at the skill level our seniors will have going forward. Understand the difference?

    OSUs team last year literally has nothing to do with this "discussion"

    @mld-woody said:

    Yes, a number. And I've given you background to that number. You choose to ignore it.

    I didn't ignore it...I just got tired of listening to you try to convince yourself that you didn't really find that you have fallen into your own rabbit hole of delusion

    I never said they could easily be replaced by freshman and sophomores. That doesn't mean they're at the skill level our seniors will have going forward. Understand the difference?

    OSUs team last year literally has nothing to do with this "discussion"

    There is no difference to understand. Your sophomores when they are seniors are going to have a greater skill level than your seniors do now?

    That is horseshit, bullshit and pigshit.

    Maybe some players that you have that are sophomores now may continue to play or will begin to play at a high level.

    But, what you seem to imply is that Harbaugh will be a better coach then than he is now.

    "These seniors we have now will not be as good as the sophomores will be when they are seniors".

    There is no explanation for this other than the fact that you must believe that Harbaugh is doing a half assed job coaching these seniors just because they weren't "his guys".

    So, if that what you are saying...Harbaugh is half assing it?

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    So which senior starters are you willing to call garbage that couldn't beat a couple of kids that were playing high school ball last year?

    Sigh

    The point isn't that they're garbage. The point is that their skill level as seniors will be lower than what we'll have going forward (and lower than what OSU has now).

    Where is OSU starting true freshman?

    @mld-woody said:

    Sigh

    The point isn't that they're garbage. The point is that their skill level as seniors will be lower than what we'll have going forward (and lower than what OSU has now).

    Where is OSU starting true freshman?

    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/osu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2016-17/depth_chart_event/depth_chart.pdf

    Lists several freshmen as starter, though I don't know if any are "true freshman" or not. Only the one senior, Elflein...but certainly any number of the juniors could declare for the draft, though, other than McMillan I don't think many of them should do so.

  • BTW chaps, am I being silly or are the OT rules different in college? As in, a TD did not cause the game to be over, as it would in the NFL?

    I'll never really understand why there are such differences like that.

    @gftchris said:

    BTW chaps, am I being silly or are the OT rules different in college? As in, a TD did not cause the game to be over, as it would in the NFL?

    I'll never really understand why there are such differences like that.

    Yes, they're different. It's like innings in baseball. Each teams gets a chance in each "inning" (overtime period). You get the ball on the opponent's 25 yard line. Whatever you do with your offensive opportunity, the other team gets a chance to match or beat. If they match it, you do another one (and their offense goes first this time). If they beat it, they win.

    My high school was playing one of the most storied programs in Texas from San Antonio in round 2 of the playoffs a couple weeks ago. Game went to OT. We got the ball first. Settled for a FG. They got the ball and on their first play had a 22 yard run down to the 3. So it's first and goal at the 3. They've been running on us all night so everyone's thinking surely the game will be over. Just have to cross that line. Very next play, our star LB pops the ball out of the RBs hand. We recover. Game over. We got 3. They got 0.

  • HERE IT IS COLLEGE FOOTBALL FANS!

    http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2016/11/28/13763600/ohio-state-michigan-2016-nes-tecmo-super-bowl-video

    Ohio State’s 30-27 (2OT) comeback win over Michigan was certainly one of the greatest in recent memory. And one of the greatest football games in recent memory is unquestionably the NES classic, Tecmo Bowl.

    So, it stands to reason that combining the two would be awesome. And luckily for all of us, that’s happened.

    Youtube user Irishkidd84 has recreated the final harrowing moments of the Ohio State-Michigan game on Tecmo Bowl, complete with the field goals, the excellent touchdown catch by Michigan’s Amara Darboh, the controversial spot (which, actually, was good), Curtis Samuel’s ridiculous Bo Jackson impression on 3rd down, and of course, the final score.

    We think we’ll be watching highlights of this game for a long time, and in various forms. But only one highlight reel will make you want to fire up the ol’ NES again and start stunting on your little brother, which makes this one potentially the best of them all.

    TOUCHDOWN, CURTIS SAMUEL!

  • In what world does the street that Bo live on in Michigan have any fucking significance? You are the one that brought that up as one factor in your justification for why he wouldn't leave. And that is just as absurd. (You really didn't recognize my statement as being a joke? An absurdity...on the level of your "he lives on Bo's street" statement)

    You clearly don't know much about Harbaugh. The man idolizes Bo. He walks the same path to work each day that Bo walks. He does the walk to Bo's grave each year. He dresses like him. He tries to embody him whenever he can. So yes, the fact he lives right where Bo used to does pplay a huge significance.

    You said that Harbaugh's kids go to school where Bo's kids went to school. Well, hell my Dad went to school at the same school as Bo....does that mean I am going to get a job coaching at UM.

    Another absurdity.

    No. Harbaugh's kids go to school where HE used to go to school.

    The "connection" in your quote literally makes no sense. If you want to admit you're purposely being absurd (an idiot) again, go for it. But it literally means nothing in the context of this conversation.

    As for UM's best chance for the next few years: A. You had a senior laden experienced team...yet you got beat by the less experienced team. In the next couple of years it will continue to be OSU that has the more experienced...more talented....team.

    I've already explained to you why counting the number of Sr's on our team, and assume we'll be down now because they're leaving, doesn't really make sense, is lazy, and shows a lack of understanding for the situation. I've already told you that Harbaugh will be recruiting right at the same level of OSU. Very soon we'll have the same level of talent and depth.

    I tried to do that all in one post but this site was NOT a fan

    @mld-woody said:

    You clearly don't know much about Harbaugh. The man idolizes Bo. He walks the same path to work each day that Bo walks. He does the walk to Bo's grave each year. He dresses like him. He tries to embody him whenever he can. So yes, the fact he lives right where Bo used to does pplay a huge significance.

    That sounds fucking creepy

  • @mld-woody said:

    You clearly don't know much about Harbaugh. The man idolizes Bo. He walks the same path to work each day that Bo walks. He does the walk to Bo's grave each year. He dresses like him. He tries to embody him whenever he can. So yes, the fact he lives right where Bo used to does pplay a huge significance.

    That sounds fucking creepy

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    That sounds fucking creepy

    The man slept over a recruits house and went to class with him.

    He's different