Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...
-
Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?
These last four games are VERY important to many of our rookies, and we MUST have some positive play from them. The rookies are mostly healthy (finally!), and some of them have started to come on. Look at Devalve and Higgins from last week. They didn't "light it up", but they made a few plays and left the coaches with wanting to see more. Ogbah was also "around the QB" often, but needs to figure out ways of closing the deal. It would help if Nassib picked it up and provided pressure from the opposite side. He's not a rookie, but I'd love to see Shelton grab two more sacks as well. His play has been a REAL surprise, and people are starting to notice. I also want to see more balls to Coleman, and desperately want to see him make the plays. We need to see that "playmaker" ability he was known for, and find SOME way of getting him the ball in the open field.
If we can get our rookies (or most of them) finishing the season on a strong note, I think that would go a long way in strengthening our momentum after an otherwise miserable year.
Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?
Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.
-
still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers
and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind
the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.
The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.
-
Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?
Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.
Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/
The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to
work on, is getting off blocks.
Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.
I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.
-
I'm cool with either. From a scheme fit perspective, Allen seems perfect for a 3-4 DE, 5-tech like Des Bryant, while Garrett looks, like Bosa, to be a more natural fit as a 4-3 DE.
A DL of Allen, Shelton and Ogbah could do a lot of damage.
-
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000669642/article/first-look-scouting-alabama-dl-jonathan-allen
or, some think Allen is better suited to the inside... either one would be a great addition. But the dline is a strength.
This Browns staff will know the right guy, and it won't be because of magazine rankings.
-
In a 4-3 Allen is an inside guy I'm sure. In a 3-4 though, no way is he a nose tackle.
-
still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers
and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind
the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.
The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.
still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers
and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind
the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.
The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.
Not a locker room fit.....?
Too talented?
At the moment I prefer Allen to Garrett but that can change in time.
-
-
Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/
The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to
work on, is getting off blocks.
Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.
I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/
The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to
work on, is getting off blocks.
Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.
I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.
Agreed. And I really don't think Myles likes football much.
-
-
Which would you be happier with, assuming we stay 3-4?
Option 1
Allen - Shelton - Ogbah
Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Orchard
or
Option 2
Ogbah - Shelton - Meder
Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Garrett
?
-
I think we need to concentrate on drafting some wide receivers this April ....
-
Option 3 includes no Ogbah?
-
-
Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.
-
Only a basic understanding in terms of essentially even numbers lining up over the OL and odds inbetween, starting with the 0 tech on the center and working out. Puts the 5 tech on the outside shoulder of the tackle by that logic which seems...reasonable..... Do you know the spots along the Dline?
-
And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.
Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.
-
Option 3 includes no Ogbah?
Not at 275#... not in my base 3-4.
I like my OLBs to be a little more versatile and Orchard carries that promise to my mind.
Now in a 4-3 look? Sure... a Nassib-Allen-Shelton-Ogbah feels right... backed by Collins-Davis-Kirksey in the base or Collins-Kirksey in the nickel...
Dime? Probably Collins...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login