Skip to content

Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...

The Browns Board
111 25 3.2k
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #75

    Also tend to lean Allen at this point... seems made for 3-4 DE and can slide inside in four-man fronts for nickel and dime packages.

    Garrett carries conversion risk and overwhelmingly lines up at RDE putting him opposite NFL level LTs.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #76

    Which would you be happier with, assuming we stay 3-4?

    Option 1

    Allen - Shelton - Ogbah

    Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Orchard

    or

    Option 2

    Ogbah - Shelton - Meder

    Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Garrett

    ?

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #77

    Option 3:

    Allen - Shelton - Bryant

    Orchard - Kirksey - Davis - Collins

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #78

    I think we need to concentrate on drafting some wide receivers this April ....

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #79

    Option 3 includes no Ogbah?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    There are other spots along the interior line that aren't a 0tech. Also Desmond plays the 3spot primarily.

    Fair enough - I guess what I'm saying in terms of tech is that he's at least a 2?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @gftchris said:

    Fair enough - I guess what I'm saying in terms of tech is that he's at least a 2?

    .... Do you know the spots along the Dline?

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #81

    Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

  • @gftchris said:

    Fair enough - I guess what I'm saying in terms of tech is that he's at least a 2?

    .... Do you know the spots along the Dline?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @tiamat63 said:

    .... Do you know the spots along the Dline?

    Only a basic understanding in terms of essentially even numbers lining up over the OL and odds inbetween, starting with the 0 tech on the center and working out. Puts the 5 tech on the outside shoulder of the tackle by that logic which seems...reasonable.
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #83

    And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

  • Option 3 includes no Ogbah?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @gftchris said:

    Option 3 includes no Ogbah?

    Not at 275#... not in my base 3-4.

    I like my OLBs to be a little more versatile and Orchard carries that promise to my mind.

    Now in a 4-3 look? Sure... a Nassib-Allen-Shelton-Ogbah feels right... backed by Collins-Davis-Kirksey in the base or Collins-Kirksey in the nickel...

    Dime? Probably Collins...

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #85

    If the season ends as it is today...

    That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

    Does that change any thinking?

    We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

  • Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #86

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

  • And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @gftchris said:

    And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

  • If the season ends as it is today...

    That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

    Does that change any thinking?

    We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #88

    @unsympathetic said:

    If the season ends as it is today...

    That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

    Does that change any thinking?

    We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

    Trubisky will have to be taken #1 overall. He will not last beyond the top 3.....and unless the Browns have both 1 an 2, they will have to pick him 1.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @the-gipper said:

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

    @the-gipper said:

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    Consecutive posts no less...

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #90

    I thought we wanted Myles Garrett? If we keep Jaimee Collins and draft Garrett that would be a start

  • B BrownPile wrote on last edited by
    #91

    NO to any QB with #1 pick.

    Garrett is the sexy choice.

    Allen is the smart move.

  • @gftchris said:

    And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @the-gipper said:

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    Who cares what Vince Lombardi said are you not more interested in Michael Lombardi's thoughts 🙂

  • @the-gipper said:

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

    @the-gipper said:

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    Consecutive posts no less...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #93

    @tour2ma said:

    Consecutive posts no less...

    You need it all: a good QB, good blocking, good tackling. Anyone that has watched any football knows that.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #94

    It's all about momentum, and right now, we don't have any reason to believe that Mitch's will slow down....ESPECIALLY in a year with down QB talent. But the next five months is when NFL people and sports writers "dig into people", and assuming Mitch measures up and doesn't have skeletons in his closet, then he should be a top 3 pick...probably #1. The combine will provide the real tale of the tape. If he has a good pro day and his measurements are close to what the school lists...then we're good to go. As funny as it might sound, I actually worry about us reeling off a win or two. Our team isn't going to tank the season, and we're going to be playing hard. I can just tell. The Chargers literally have NOTHING to play for, and Rivers has been known to turn the ball over. Keep in mind that the Bolts might also be leaving San Diego, so there is all kinds of stuff going on with them. If we're going to win a game, it might be that one. Additionally, the 49's get to play the Jets, and we REALLY want the 49's to win that game. Jets are now a disaster, and will be starting Bryce Petty over Fitzy.