Skip to content

Todd McShay's Mock Draft 2017

The Browns Board
48 22 2.0k
  • he has us taking allen over garrett? lolz

    @stillmotion said:

    he has us taking allen over garrett? lolz

    Is it that funny?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Agree... I've seen McKinley a couple times this year and he is a damn good prospect, but he is not a tone setter.

    Got me thinking about the comment someone made the other day that Garrett lacks "the nasty" many DL exhibit. An Allen/Foster 1st round certainly brings that in abundance. I like it. A few more Crimson types and we can nickname our D "BAMA North"...

    And Kizer is still there at #33...

    Overall McShay must really think highly of the 2017 DB class... 7 in total... 4 of the top 8 depending how you count Peppers.

    Did you read the comments Tour? That mock is 80% garbage.

    "How in the fuck does he have the Chiefs being the first team to take a QB. I don't see how the Browns pass on Trubisky if he's there at the Eagles pick."

    @hoorta said:

    Did you read the comments Tour? That mock is 80% garbage.

    "How in the fuck does he have the Chiefs being the first team to take a QB. I don't see how the Browns pass on Trubisky if he's there at the Eagles pick."

    Well if a commenter on Reddit said it, it must obviously be true.

    I guess that's a slight step ahead of asking a homeless guy.

    Progress fellas, progress.

  • @wargograw said:

    Don't overthink it. If you're taking a pure LB take Foster.

    Agree... I've seen McKinley a couple times this year and he is a damn good prospect, but he is not a tone setter.

    Got me thinking about the comment someone made the other day that Garrett lacks "the nasty" many DL exhibit. An Allen/Foster 1st round certainly brings that in abundance. I like it. A few more Crimson types and we can nickname our D "BAMA North"...

    And Kizer is still there at #33...

    Overall McShay must really think highly of the 2017 DB class... 7 in total... 4 of the top 8 depending how you count Peppers.

    @tour2ma said:

    Agree... I've seen McKinley a couple times this year and he is a damn good prospect, but he is not a tone setter.

    Got me thinking about the comment someone made the other day that Garrett lacks "the nasty" many DL exhibit. An Allen/Foster 1st round certainly brings that in abundance. I like it. A few more Crimson types and we can nickname our D "BAMA North"...

    And Kizer is still there at #33...

    Overall McShay must really think highly of the 2017 DB class... 7 in total... 4 of the top 8 depending how you count Peppers.

    That was me. We have a few BAs on our defense attitude-wise. Garrett is not one. Look up Justin Evans.

  • he has us taking allen over garrett? lolz

    @stillmotion said:

    he has us taking allen over garrett? lolz

    Not really that funny. Allen is a monster.

  • looks more like a Todd straight "talent big board" with no position concerns..Not a NFL ready QB imo. but it's your 1st rounder to screw it up...

  • @wargograw said:

    Don't overthink it. If you're taking a pure LB take Foster.

    Agree... I've seen McKinley a couple times this year and he is a damn good prospect, but he is not a tone setter.

    Got me thinking about the comment someone made the other day that Garrett lacks "the nasty" many DL exhibit. An Allen/Foster 1st round certainly brings that in abundance. I like it. A few more Crimson types and we can nickname our D "BAMA North"...

    And Kizer is still there at #33...

    Overall McShay must really think highly of the 2017 DB class... 7 in total... 4 of the top 8 depending how you count Peppers.

    @tour2ma said:

    Overall McShay must really think highly of the 2017 DB class... 7 in total... 4 of the top 8 depending how you count Peppers.

    A Passing league has caused a DB draft. some good ones. but as good as last season? Dunno

  • @tour2ma said:

    Overall McShay must really think highly of the 2017 DB class... 7 in total... 4 of the top 8 depending how you count Peppers.

    A Passing league has caused a DB draft. some good ones. but as good as last season? Dunno

    @gumby73 said:

    A Passing league has caused a DB draft. some good ones. but as good as last season? Dunno

    I don't know about that. A DB heavy draft class has produced a DB heavy draft. Maybe you could say that college is producing better QBs since the college game is more pass happy than a smoke circle.

    You've also got a lot of pass rushers in this draft - it's just a D heavy draft.

  • I wouldn't be surprised if all three quarterbacks went in the first round.

    Most quarterbacks taken in the first round are disappointments but they do seem irresistible. Like taking a hit on a 20. Hey there are four aces in the deck right?

    WSS

  • I've seen multiple drafts having us taking Allen over Garrett, and I'd be fine with hit. Allen probably fits what we do and need better than Garrett...at least out of the box. Garrett would have to be fit into our scheme, whereas Allen comes in and immediately does what he did in college. He penetrates like a porn star, is stout against the run, and basically causes trouble all of the time. Putting him next to Shelton would probably be a handful. But the thing with Garrett is he could compliment Ogbah very well. Ogbah has lost out on multiple sacks when the opposing QB just drifts away from him in the pocket and fires the ball down field, but if there is opposing pressure...the QB can't really go anywhere.

    I think many fans are fine with either Garrett or Allen, but the one thing that virtually EVERY person I've talked is...DO NOT TRADE DOWN. That's the consensus I keep hearing from almost everyone.

  • McShay is to evaluation as Lombardi is to acquisition........translation: He's a DUMBASS!!

    Mike

  • I've seen multiple drafts having us taking Allen over Garrett, and I'd be fine with hit. Allen probably fits what we do and need better than Garrett...at least out of the box. Garrett would have to be fit into our scheme, whereas Allen comes in and immediately does what he did in college. He penetrates like a porn star, is stout against the run, and basically causes trouble all of the time. Putting him next to Shelton would probably be a handful. But the thing with Garrett is he could compliment Ogbah very well. Ogbah has lost out on multiple sacks when the opposing QB just drifts away from him in the pocket and fires the ball down field, but if there is opposing pressure...the QB can't really go anywhere.

    I think many fans are fine with either Garrett or Allen, but the one thing that virtually EVERY person I've talked is...DO NOT TRADE DOWN. That's the consensus I keep hearing from almost everyone.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I've seen multiple drafts having us taking Allen over Garrett, and I'd be fine with hit. Allen probably fits what we do and need better than Garrett...at least out of the box. Garrett would have to be fit into our scheme, whereas Allen comes in and immediately does what he did in college. He penetrates like a porn star, is stout against the run, and basically causes trouble all of the time. Putting him next to Shelton would probably be a handful. But the thing with Garrett is he could compliment Ogbah very well. Ogbah has lost out on multiple sacks when the opposing QB just drifts away from him in the pocket and fires the ball down field, but if there is opposing pressure...the QB can't really go anywhere.

    I think many fans are fine with either Garrett or Allen, but the one thing that virtually EVERY person I've talked is...DO NOT TRADE DOWN. That's the consensus I keep hearing from almost everyone.

    If everyone's fine with either Garrett or Allen, would everyone object to moving down one spot, picking up SF's second or third round pick, for example?

  • I think that would be the lone trade many people would be happy with. Like, if San Fran is absolutely in love with a guy and wants to MAKE SURE they get him, I could see us doing that. Crazy things tend to happen on draft day, and the one thing I DON'T want to see happen is us give in to temptation. There's probably going to be some insane offers for Garrett, Allen, or a QB. From a value standpoint, it might be difficult to say "no" to a team offering up first round picks and other things. But I think the time is now to really add that blue chip prospect, and not trade down past two.

  • he has us taking allen over garrett? lolz

    @stillmotion said:

    he has us taking allen over garrett? lolz

    Prob cause allen is ready to tangle with nfl ol right now. Garret will need work and,well, you know the browns dont have any history of properly developing drafted defensive front seven talent right?

  • If we go dl allen is the pick. Teams are gonna run or roll right at garrett negating his speed rush.

  • @stillmotion said:

    he has us taking allen over garrett? lolz

    Prob cause allen is ready to tangle with nfl ol right now. Garret will need work and,well, you know the browns dont have any history of properly developing drafted defensive front seven talent right?

    @clevfan4life said:

    Prob cause allen is ready to tangle with nfl ol right now. Garret will need work and,well, you know the browns dont have any history of properly developing drafted defensive front seven talent right?

    Danny Shelton begs to differ. And Christian Kirksey.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Prob cause allen is ready to tangle with nfl ol right now. Garret will need work and,well, you know the browns dont have any history of properly developing drafted defensive front seven talent right?

    Danny Shelton begs to differ. And Christian Kirksey.

    @gftchris said:

    Danny Shelton begs to differ. And Christian Kirksey.

    shelton doesnt count cause he was already nfl strong when we drafted him. He's done some stuff on his own in the offseason to get better, which speaks for him but im failing to see where the browns staff has had a major impact on him. Kirksey is still meh in my book, he's benefitting this year playing next to demario.

  • Of our ILBs, Davis is the stud? Sorry, not seeing that.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Agree... I've seen McKinley a couple times this year and he is a damn good prospect, but he is not a tone setter.

    Got me thinking about the comment someone made the other day that Garrett lacks "the nasty" many DL exhibit. An Allen/Foster 1st round certainly brings that in abundance. I like it. A few more Crimson types and we can nickname our D "BAMA North"...

    And Kizer is still there at #33...

    Overall McShay must really think highly of the 2017 DB class... 7 in total... 4 of the top 8 depending how you count Peppers.

    Did you read the comments Tour? That mock is 80% garbage.

    "How in the fuck does he have the Chiefs being the first team to take a QB. I don't see how the Browns pass on Trubisky if he's there at the Eagles pick."

    @hoorta said:

    Did you read the comments Tour? That mock is 80% garbage.

    "How in the fuck does he have the Chiefs being the first team to take a QB. I don't see how the Browns pass on Trubisky if he's there at the Eagles pick."

    I read McShay's comments. It's an early, formative mock meant only to stimulate discussion and interest. It got me thinking about an OLB (EDIT: The UCLA kid) with our second pick I'd not considered at all... that's all. Not cast in stone... even has several, "could also go" hedges within the comments. In our case he mentions Garrett at #1.

    As for Trubs... some folks are purely need driven. You're going to love the tread on PFF's Top Ten QBs...

    I did snap to the fact that ESPN is not going to take kindly to a subscriber posting their "Premium Content" in its entirety on reddit...

    @taco918 said:

    I guess that's a slight step ahead of asking a homeless guy. Progress fellas, progress.

    lol... Did you consider that "a homeless guy" might have found an unlocked smart phone?

  • You hadn't considered pass rusher with the second pick? It's come up here a lot, usually in the form of Tim Williams, but there's been a lot of 'QB first, then pass rusher' conversations. Personally, I could be on board with Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams. The Brown Tide sounds like something opposing OLs want to get out of the way of.

  • I wouldn't be surprised if all three quarterbacks went in the first round.

    Most quarterbacks taken in the first round are disappointments but they do seem irresistible. Like taking a hit on a 20. Hey there are four aces in the deck right?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Like taking a hit on a 20. Hey there are four aces in the deck right?

    You know a place that still deals from a single deck? 😮 Deal me in...

    @jiggins7919 said:

    ... Allen... penetrates like a porn star...

    lol... not sure about that, but agree he's a "drop-in & go" player.

    @gftchris said:

    If everyone's fine with either Garrett or Allen, would everyone object to moving down one spot, picking up SF's second or third round pick, for example?

    Possible... unless of course SF doesn't have a strong preference either.

    But if they did, even by the Harvard chart, their 1st and 2nd for our 1st and 4th (or Compensatory 3rd not headed the Pats' direction) is an equitable starting point.

    @clevfan4life said:

    shelton doesnt count cause he was already nfl strong when we drafted him. He's done some stuff on his own in the offseason to get better, which speaks for him but im failing to see where the browns staff has had a major impact on him. Kirksey is still meh in my book, he's benefitting this year playing next to demario.

    Weak tea there... You don't think our incoming staff asked Shelton to shed pounds? You don't think they've coached him up? You talk as if his innate talent shown thru brightly all last season.

    And Kirksey has ramped up his game every year so far. Davis is solid, but he's not augmenting Kirksey on the field that I can see.