Skip to content

Chris fixes the Browns

The Browns Board
36 13 1.5k
  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    • Step 4: The QB. As it stands right now, I don't foresee us able to land either Kizer or Trubisky at #33 - so I suggest taking one of the two at #7. I'm more partial to Kizer at this moment, personally. There's a lot to be said for his durability, athletic ability, and "it" quality. He's a Derek Carr in the making, in my opinion - he needs refinement and coaching but he possesses almost every single thing you'd want and I see him being a good fit in a Hue (circa 2014) offense. Heavy run and play action will create hesitancy, as we all know, allowing Kizer to take advantage down the field and on intermediate routes.

    Step 5: The Switch. What I'd like to see is Haden pull a Woodson and make the switch to free safety. He's lost a step but has the same instincts and ball skills. He'd benefit from playing center field and it's similar to us adding a guy like Eric Berry via FA, just cheaper as we won't be taking on a new big contract.

    Step 6: The other CB: Then, at #33, I suggest taking Adoree Jackson...or King or Jones if they so happen to be available. Basically BCB available to start opposite our FA CB.

    Great thoughts TCPO..couple wrenches. Adoree Jackson stock will rise after combine due to his track history imo (7-10). I also like Kizer slightly over Mitch. What's your opinion on getting some experience back in the QB room with the trade talks of Jimmy G/Glennon or Cutler over a Kizer or Mitch which may send a worse message to Kessler?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @gumby73 said:

    Great thoughts TCPO..couple wrenches. Adoree Jackson stock will rise after combine due to his track history imo (7-10). I also like Kizer slightly over Mitch. What's your opinion on getting some experience back in the QB room with the trade talks of Jimmy G/Glennon or Cutler over a Kizer or Mitch which may send a worse message to Kessler?

    I also think Jackson will rise, which should conceivably push one of the three four CBs currently slotted ahead of him to fall. I don't think there will be four CBS taken in the first this year but I may be wrong, I'll admit I haven't watched much tape on most of them outside Tabor and Jackson.

    As for Kessler, I think adding a QB any which way will have the same effect on him. I believe he knows he's not a franchise savior.

    I like him a lot but I don't see that potential in him, he's giving off a Siemian/Keenum/Foles vibe - good QB, good guy, could win games in a good scenario but won't win games on his own. A capable backup to mid level starter at best.

    But I also think he's the perfect QB for us because having him means we won't have to rush a guy if we don't have to. Kizer may not be a day one starter. None of these guys scream day one starter, actually.

    In my heart of hearts I'm starting to feel like the plan was Kizer all along. We've apparently scouted the absolute shit out of him and I vaguely recall Hue and co. saying last year before the draft that the best QB prospect in college football might not have even been in last years draft. I think the plan may have been to get a mid round guy last year who could take the pressure of our early round guy this year. Obviously, we were hoping to win a couple games so that mid round guy would have some confidence going into 2017, but alas.

  • Whennic a team employing 2 DT's and 2 full time hands in the dirt proper like DE's.....i call em a 43 no matter what they do with the lb'ers. For me it boils down to personnel types. A team that has some 250-260lb hybrid guy that sometimes stands sometimes gets down, thats not a 43 thats the gay 34 ive come to despise mainly cause it dont work here.

    Im sorry but i pay attention to our edges and how they establish the point in the run game and how well they trim the edge on their way to the qb. All of which our 34 guys simply stink at. Yeah they've gotten a few sacks cause some qb didnt step up in time, but consistency wise they're terrible. They cannot establish and hold the point against the run, at all. They're always diving inside or out immediately cause they know they cannot hold off the tackles for even a split second to read theplay. So they just guess right from snap and the RB's always read them, always. Mccoy could have run for 200+ yds if rex wanted it. It was just there everytime. When nassib amd ogbah are in there things get a little more congested for opposing rb's it seems. Not saying those guys are run stopping savants but they seem to perturb the rumning lanes alot better than the 34 olb'ers

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @clevfan4life said:

    Whennic a team employing 2 DT's and 2 full time hands in the dirt proper like DE's.....i call em a 43 no matter what they do with the lb'ers. For me it boils down to personnel types. A team that has some 250-260lb hybrid guy that sometimes stands sometimes gets down, thats not a 43 thats the gay 34 ive come to despise mainly cause it dont work here.

    That's beyond general as the defensive alignment itself is the callsign. So if Anythony Barr has his hand in the ground as a DE, on that particular play that's a 4 man front. 33 personnel, doesn't make it a "34".

    And If you're willing to just throw away what the linebackers do, then you're discounting the '3' part in the 43

    Im sorry but i pay attention to our edges and how they establish the point in the run game and how well they trim the edge on their way to the qb

    All of which our 34 guys simply stink at. Yeah they've gotten a few sacks cause some qb didnt step up in time, but consistency wise they're terrible. They cannot establish and hold the point against the run, at all.

    So.... if our guys are that ineffective now, you're saying just changing the label of the defense, but maintaining the same gap assignments will somehow magically make them better...?

  • cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Id like to see more of Seth Devalve with Kessler or another capable qb before wasting a pick on TE. There are much much more pressing needs. But if a TE slides down I understand.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Whennic a team employing 2 DT's and 2 full time hands in the dirt proper like DE's.....i call em a 43 no matter what they do with the lb'ers. For me it boils down to personnel types. A team that has some 250-260lb hybrid guy that sometimes stands sometimes gets down, thats not a 43 thats the gay 34 ive come to despise mainly cause it dont work here.

    That's beyond general as the defensive alignment itself is the callsign. So if Anythony Barr has his hand in the ground as a DE, on that particular play that's a 4 man front. 33 personnel, doesn't make it a "34".

    And If you're willing to just throw away what the linebackers do, then you're discounting the '3' part in the 43

    Im sorry but i pay attention to our edges and how they establish the point in the run game and how well they trim the edge on their way to the qb

    All of which our 34 guys simply stink at. Yeah they've gotten a few sacks cause some qb didnt step up in time, but consistency wise they're terrible. They cannot establish and hold the point against the run, at all.

    So.... if our guys are that ineffective now, you're saying just changing the label of the defense, but maintaining the same gap assignments will somehow magically make them better...?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tiamat63 said:

    So.... if our guys are that ineffective now, you're saying just changing the label of the defense, but maintaining the same gap assignments will somehow magically make them better...?

    Mo, i want the straight up 34 olb'ers out of here. The other 43 guys that have been standing up can get their hands back in tje ground next year if it were my call. Guys like lemonier, johnson, collins, schobert.....unless they can prove they can be decent 4-3 olb'ers......bye!

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Like collins and schobert id keep around long enough to see what the can do in tje 43. And especially if we draft garett or allen. I know we wouldnt stand allen up, at least i hope not, but i can see us doing garett likevthat and something tells me thats exactly what he's worried about us doing which is why he hasnt officially declared

  • If Cutler can accept a backup role and comes in with a good attitude then I really like that idea. Not sure if he does either. I find it difficult to keep McCown another year because he can't actually play football. And at some point, no matter how good of a locker room guy you are, that matters.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #27

    @wargograw said:

    If Cutler can accept a backup role and comes in with a good attitude then I really like that idea. Not sure if he does either. I find it difficult to keep McCown another year because he can't actually play football. And at some point, no matter how good of a locker room guy you are, that matters.

    you'd be hard pressed to name me a better guy as 3rd string qb. He's good with the mentoring role, balls of an elephant, solid mentally on the game and can play in a pinch.
  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Mccowns the best qb on this team. Let that one marinate

  • @wargograw said:

    If Cutler can accept a backup role and comes in with a good attitude then I really like that idea. Not sure if he does either. I find it difficult to keep McCown another year because he can't actually play football. And at some point, no matter how good of a locker room guy you are, that matters.

    you'd be hard pressed to name me a better guy as 3rd string qb. He's good with the mentoring role, balls of an elephant, solid mentally on the game and can play in a pinch.
    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @jcam222 said:

    you'd be hard pressed to name me a better guy as 3rd string qb. He's good with the mentoring role, balls of an elephant, solid mentally on the game and can play in a pinch.

    Kessler. Next year if you sign Cutler.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    I'm already frustrated about this game because of RG III and the anticipated weather. RG III is so completely frustrating to watch. He's late on so many throws, and I don't see that getting better. Heck, even on that one long pass to Hawkins, he STILL screwed up. He was several seconds late on that throw, and had he thrown it when he SHOULD'VE, Hawkins might've had a chance to score. He's a pretty shifty guy in the open field, but who knows. The throw ended up being awesome, but if you look at that play from above, you'll see Hawk WIDE OPEN long before the ball is thrown. Remember hearing how good RG III was at throwing the deep ball? Have you seen anything good? I haven't. So we're basically going to wait at least a quarter, probably longer, before Cody comes in. I can see it now. 3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out. Oh, and the weather? Last time I checked it was 70% chance of rain. That'll make for a terrific game in 35 degree weather.

  • @jcam222 said:

    you'd be hard pressed to name me a better guy as 3rd string qb. He's good with the mentoring role, balls of an elephant, solid mentally on the game and can play in a pinch.

    Kessler. Next year if you sign Cutler.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @wargograw said:

    Kessler. Next year if you sign Cutler.

    he's our 2 if they sign Cutler
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Browns sign Cutler and I'll lead the March to burn the stadium down.

  • Browns sign Cutler and I'll lead the March to burn the stadium down.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @tiamat63 said:

    Browns sign Cutler and I'll lead the March to burn the stadium down.

    As a cheap, experienced backup. If we don't draft a QB.

  • Mccowns the best qb on this team. Let that one marinate

    F Furious Styles wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @clevfan4life said:

    Mccowns the best qb on this team. Let that one marinate

    That's deep.
  • Mccowns the best qb on this team. Let that one marinate

    F Furious Styles wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @clevfan4life said:

    Mccowns the best qb on this team. Let that one marinate

    That's deep.
  • Browns sign Cutler and I'll lead the March to burn the stadium down.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @tiamat63 said:

    Browns sign Cutler and I'll lead the March to burn the stadium down.

    I'll bring some K1 and tiki torches.