Skip to content

Greg Williams Hired

The Browns Board
111 40 4.1k
  • stupid thread

  • @ghoolie said:

    You are a fucking idiot. Horton gave Hue the defense Hue asked for. Assistants are coffee fetchers. he defense is on Hue.

    NO DIFFERENCE IN 2017.

    GHOOLIE GUARANTEE

    You "may" be right but not because of the DC....because we currently dont have the players are goid/mean enough to matter. Anybody think bountygate williams is gonna relate to some of these fgts that dont like to get their jerseys dirty?

  • @ghoolie said:

    You are a fucking idiot. Horton gave Hue the defense Hue asked for. Assistants are coffee fetchers. he defense is on Hue.

    NO DIFFERENCE IN 2017.

    GHOOLIE GUARANTEE

    Your absolutely right Horton was completely on Hue. This DC is a pure FO decision. Williams has more HC experience than Hue. And if the team should falter he will replace hue at the bye... That's why we only looked at DC's with HC experience... Williams is not Hue's "Type" of coach anyway.

  • Anybody watching the steelers game, that dolphins D is precisely the kind of 4-3 i dont want. Its predicated on going after the qb cause its a "passing league". So they've got these DE's that look real nice in cutoffs but they dont deal well at the point. They got a decent mlb'er in alonso but he aint a hitter. 4-3's like what carolina was the other year or the bengals....its about the players.

    Just running a 4-3 doesnt mean shit if the niggas aint nasty. Gotta have a D front that is disciplined against the run. And we have to have at least one LB'er that tries to kill the ball carrier on every play. Dudes going across the middle always have one eye on where burfict is. Thats what i want in clev.

  • @ghoolie said:

    You are a fucking idiot. Horton gave Hue the defense Hue asked for. Assistants are coffee fetchers. he defense is on Hue.

    NO DIFFERENCE IN 2017.

    GHOOLIE GUARANTEE

    Your absolutely right Horton was completely on Hue. This DC is a pure FO decision. Williams has more HC experience than Hue. And if the team should falter he will replace hue at the bye... That's why we only looked at DC's with HC experience... Williams is not Hue's "Type" of coach anyway.

    @cainedesoulis said:

    Your absolutely right Horton was completely on Hue. This DC is a pure FO decision. Williams has more HC experience than Hue. And if the team should falter he will replace hue at the bye... That's why we only looked at DC's with HC expe.. Williams is not Hue's "Type" of coach anyway.

    It certainly sounds as if hue wanted horton gone. Its been in the back of my mind that the nas and og drafts were maybe more hues idea cause he was trying to push horton to run more 4-3 looks. Now we get a full time 4-3 guy that will stock 4-3 edge guys and lb'ets.

  • I think the Browns are a lock to get Allen at one. It makes no sense to me that they would pick someone else.

    He's a one man wrecking crew, and with a four three, they have to fix their rotation and starting unit.

    The 12 pick is the tough one. But if Foster was there, I'd have to pick him.

    But then I also want Hooker at fs. But then I wonder about moving Joe Haden to fs, more likely nickle back...?

    and drafting the best cb available at 33.

    This draft is really going to be GRRRRRRREAT !

  • @cainedesoulis said:

    Your absolutely right Horton was completely on Hue. This DC is a pure FO decision. Williams has more HC experience than Hue. And if the team should falter he will replace hue at the bye... That's why we only looked at DC's with HC expe.. Williams is not Hue's "Type" of coach anyway.

    It certainly sounds as if hue wanted horton gone. Its been in the back of my mind that the nas and og drafts were maybe more hues idea cause he was trying to push horton to run more 4-3 looks. Now we get a full time 4-3 guy that will stock 4-3 edge guys and lb'ets.

    Ghoolie... fetchin' coffee since 1999.

    Asst's are teachers first and foremost with motivation part of the teaching. Coord's teach as well, but they are primarily schemers. HC's? Masterminds, administrators... can do some of the scheming and teaching But the danger is the more they dive into the minutia, the more they will tend to lose focus on the big picture.

    @clevfan4life said:

    It certainly sounds as if hue wanted horton gone. Its been in the back of my mind that the nas and og drafts were maybe more hues idea cause he was trying to push horton to run more 4-3 looks.

    ... and aggression... which kills your "nas and og" theory.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Can u guys handle that ir is it gonna be fire thst williams hack by game 3 or 4?

    Not sure, but I think my answer is... Yes?

  • I think the Browns are a lock to get Allen at one. It makes no sense to me that they would pick someone else.

    He's a one man wrecking crew, and with a four three, they have to fix their rotation and starting unit.

    The 12 pick is the tough one. But if Foster was there, I'd have to pick him.

    But then I also want Hooker at fs. But then I wonder about moving Joe Haden to fs, more likely nickle back...?

    and drafting the best cb available at 33.

    This draft is really going to be GRRRRRRREAT !

    @calfoxwc said:

    I think the Browns are a lock to get Allen at one. It makes no sense to me that they would pick someone else.

    He's a one man wrecking crew, and with a four three, they have to fix their rotation and starting unit.

    The 12 pick is the tough one. But if Foster was there, I'd have to pick him.

    But then I also want Hooker at fs. But then I wonder about moving Joe Haden to fs, more likely nickle back...?

    and drafting the best cb available at 33.

    This draft is really going to be GRRRRRRREAT !

    Joe Haden is to small to play safety. I wouldn't want him playing nickel either. He already gets burned on every crossing pattern. That's who the nickel corner covers most times
  • @tour2ma said:

    Williams works for me...

    I don't necessarily see the increased preference for Allen over Garrett in the 4-3 look others do, however. Allen just has the look of a traditional 3-4 DE to me while Garrett with his hand primarily in the dirt as a 4-3 edge guy removes my concerns there. This is the role OAK emphasized for Khalil this season. In his three seasons he's gone from primarily a stand-up OLB to a DE/OLB split to primarily a DE.

    For those when a better attuned eye for DL schemes than I have.... I assume Shelton primarily takes an A gap putting Allen over the opposite OG? If so, then I can see Allen as a modern-day Michael Dean Perry aside Danny's James Jones or Bill Johnson.

    I will say that Allen's persona would seem to be better aligned with Williams' than Myles the Mild's would be...

    Also occurs to me that practicing against Williams' "style" could inject added "nasty" into our OL...

    Depends on what you're trying to exploit. If you see the center has issues anchoring or with protection calls, you can run a double A gap look. You can go with Danny at the traditional 1 still holding the double team and that would leave Allen at the 3-5 spot doing what he does best.

    It does get interesting with Williams coming.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Depends on what you're trying to exploit. If you see the center has issues anchoring or with protection calls, you can run a double A gap look. You can go with Danny at the traditional 1 still holding the double team and that would leave Allen at the 3-5 spot doing what he does best.

    So no default to the opposite OG... situational and match-up driven. Thanks... Guess I just feel Danny needs to be inside an OG's shoulder at his widest.

    I dunno... just starting to hit me that we're on the verge of assembling a very strong 3-4 base and we're moving away from it... again.

  • Glad Horton is gone,but you still have to have players. Schemes can only do so much.

  • I'm seeing the first round as being Allen and Foster. Then cb/s/og/c in the second and third rounds.

    oh, waiting til the draft is going to be another aggravating long three months

  • I'm seeing the first round as being Allen and Foster. Then cb/s/og/c in the second and third rounds.

    oh, waiting til the draft is going to be another aggravating long three months

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'm seeing the first round as being Allen and Foster. Then cb/s/og/c in the second and third rounds.

    oh, waiting til the draft is going to be another aggravating long three months

    It wouldn't be that aggravating if you don't read this board.
  • @calfoxwc said:

    I'm seeing the first round as being Allen and Foster. Then cb/s/og/c in the second and third rounds.

    oh, waiting til the draft is going to be another aggravating long three months

    It wouldn't be that aggravating if you don't read this board.

    @browns149 said:

    It wouldn't be that aggravating if you don't read this board.

    Lol...that's what I say. Endless draft talk, starts in September every year when the Browns are 1-3.

  • It does get interesting with Williams coming.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Depends on what you're trying to exploit. If you see the center has issues anchoring or with protection calls, you can run a double A gap look. You can go with Danny at the traditional 1 still holding the double team and that would leave Allen at the 3-5 spot doing what he does best.

    So no default to the opposite OG... situational and match-up driven. Thanks... Guess I just feel Danny needs to be inside an OG's shoulder at his widest.

    I dunno... just starting to hit me that we're on the verge of assembling a very strong 3-4 base and we're moving away from it... again.

    @tour2ma said:

    I dunno... just starting to hit me that we're on the verge of assembling a very strong 3-4 base and we're moving away from it... again.

    I agree it's frustrating as hell, but personnel wise I believe we're tooled better for a 4-3 defense.

    That would probably leave Davis as the odd LB out of the starting lineup.

  • Yeah... Davis doesn't seem versatile enough, but also not sure Kirksey is impactful enough... and Danny was born to be a NT. And now I have Davis-like questions about Foster...

    Oh well... still months to agonize.

    Anyway... Hue seems to have pulled the curtain back some today of the change...

    Browns coach Hue Jackson said Sunday he expects new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to bring an "aggressive and attacking" defense to Cleveland next season.

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18430820/cleveland-browns-hire-gregg-williams-defensive-coordinator

  • Zach Cunningham from Vandy might be someone to eyeball if Foster is more akin to a Davis.

  • Browns lay to rest their ineffective 3-4 defense with hiring of Gregg Williams

    http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland//post/_/id/2721

  • then why the fuck did hue hire horton to begin with?

    stumped.

  • Garret - Meder - Shelton - Ogbah

    Kirksey - Davis - Collins

    Nassib and Orchard as Super Subs that you can rush from anywhere.

    Now get this guy some safeties.

    Z

  • It does get interesting with Williams coming.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Depends on what you're trying to exploit. If you see the center has issues anchoring or with protection calls, you can run a double A gap look. You can go with Danny at the traditional 1 still holding the double team and that would leave Allen at the 3-5 spot doing what he does best.

    So no default to the opposite OG... situational and match-up driven. Thanks... Guess I just feel Danny needs to be inside an OG's shoulder at his widest.

    I dunno... just starting to hit me that we're on the verge of assembling a very strong 3-4 base and we're moving away from it... again.

    @tour2ma said:

    I dunno... just starting to hit me that we're on the verge of assembling a very strong 3-4 base and we're moving away from it... again.

    Wait wut? The base of any 3-4 has to be the olb'ers