Watson Undraftable
-
Here's what I wonder: Did Watson even know about this velocity metric? Was he throwing as hard as he normally does, or was he just tuning it down to ensure accuracy to receivers he's never thrown to before? I mean, he had to know this was being measured, right? Wouldn't surprise me to see this being measured at his pro day, and wouldn't surprise me if he throws much harder. I don't remember Watson ever having a "gun", but I also don't remember his power being an issue either.
Edit: I just watched some highlights of Watson, and while I understand "highlights" aren't exactly a good representation of a player's ability, the film did at least show multiple throws with plenty of zip. Obviously I don't have a radar gun app for Youtube, but I can tell you the arm definitely passes the "eye test". Conversely, I did notice several throws that Watson kind of "lollypops" up in the air, but these were deep throws that enabled his receiver to get underneath. Whenever I saw a throw over the middle, the ball got there promptly.
-
Here's what I wonder: Did Watson even know about this velocity metric? Was he throwing as hard as he normally does, or was he just tuning it down to ensure accuracy to receivers he's never thrown to before? I mean, he had to know this was being measured, right? Wouldn't surprise me to see this being measured at his pro day, and wouldn't surprise me if he throws much harder. I don't remember Watson ever having a "gun", but I also don't remember his power being an issue either.
Edit: I just watched some highlights of Watson, and while I understand "highlights" aren't exactly a good representation of a player's ability, the film did at least show multiple throws with plenty of zip. Obviously I don't have a radar gun app for Youtube, but I can tell you the arm definitely passes the "eye test". Conversely, I did notice several throws that Watson kind of "lollypops" up in the air, but these were deep throws that enabled his receiver to get underneath. Whenever I saw a throw over the middle, the ball got there promptly.
Here's what I wonder: Did Watson even know about this velocity metric? Was he throwing as hard as he normally does, or was he just tuning it down to ensure accuracy to receivers he's never thrown to before? I mean, he had to know this was being measured, right? Wouldn't surprise me to see this being measured at his pro day, and wouldn't surprise me if he throws much harder. I don't remember Watson ever having a "gun", but I also don't remember his power being an issue either.
I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that he knew it was measured, I'm also sure concerned teams will do their own measurement when they bring him in for a visit
-
lol... this time of year you can and will find every evaluation/opinion on every player possible... excepting the select few, "elite" prospects.
List those about which you've not heard a dissenting opinion...
- Myles Garrett
- Jamal Adams
- Marshon Latimore
Am I missing anyone?
lol... this time of year you can and will find every evaluation/opinion on every player possible... excepting the select few, "elite" prospects.
List those about which you've not heard a dissenting opinion...
- Myles Garrett
- Jamal Adams
- Marshon Latimore
Am I missing anyone?
WTF are you talking about...never heard a dissenting opinion on Garrett? You have read a few of my posts. Even ignoring the QB situation.....there is still a chance that Allen may be as stout as Garrett...and fill a greater need for the Browns. Plus there was the comparison between Garrett and Barnett. Statistically Barnett has had an equal or better college career.
-
It's obvious he is not talking about you in the list of opinions, just people who do it for a living.. Gees.

-
It's obvious he is not talking about you in the list of opinions, just people who do it for a living.. Gees.

It's obvious he is not talking about you in the list of opinions, just people who do it for a living.. Gees.

I know....the Gays for Gayrett club will be out in full force whinging if anything whatsoever is said about your boy that is not pure worshipful adoration.
-
It's obvious he is not talking about you in the list of opinions, just people who do it for a living.. Gees.

I know....the Gays for Gayrett club will be out in full force whinging if anything whatsoever is said about your boy that is not pure worshipful adoration.
I know....the Gays for Gayrett club will be out in full force whinging if anything whatsoever is said about your boy that is not pure worshipful adoration.
Ah, Trump jr. deflects from the issue as to whom Tour was referring. Nice try Donnie. Almost lawyerlike.

-
I know....the Gays for Gayrett club will be out in full force whinging if anything whatsoever is said about your boy that is not pure worshipful adoration.
Ah, Trump jr. deflects from the issue as to whom Tour was referring. Nice try Donnie. Almost lawyerlike.

Ah, Trump jr. deflects from the issue as to whom Tour was referring. Nice try Donnie. Almost lawyerlike.

Boy you are so far off if you think I have any remote inkling toward #45. And it is of no consequence as to whom he was referring. We have already been well aware that "professionals" have no greater clue about things than any of us here do.
From the way the Browns have drafted over the years that is pretty conclusive...fair to say?
-
Ah, Trump jr. deflects from the issue as to whom Tour was referring. Nice try Donnie. Almost lawyerlike.

Boy you are so far off if you think I have any remote inkling toward #45. And it is of no consequence as to whom he was referring. We have already been well aware that "professionals" have no greater clue about things than any of us here do.
From the way the Browns have drafted over the years that is pretty conclusive...fair to say?
Unfortunately yes
Boy you are so far off if you think I have any remote inkling toward #45. And it is of no consequence as to whom he was referring. We have already been well aware that "professionals" have no greater clue about things than any of us here do.
From the way the Browns have drafted over the years that is pretty conclusive...fair to say?
.
Unfortunately yes, that is fair to say Gip. Just pulling on your tail this morning. And where the hell is Tour? He's been up to make a pick now for about 5 hours and remains offline. Very strange since he has been staying up regularly with the Browns draft board.
-
Unfortunately yes
Boy you are so far off if you think I have any remote inkling toward #45. And it is of no consequence as to whom he was referring. We have already been well aware that "professionals" have no greater clue about things than any of us here do.
From the way the Browns have drafted over the years that is pretty conclusive...fair to say?
.
Unfortunately yes, that is fair to say Gip. Just pulling on your tail this morning. And where the hell is Tour? He's been up to make a pick now for about 5 hours and remains offline. Very strange since he has been staying up regularly with the Browns draft board.
Unfortunately yes
.
Unfortunately yes, that is fair to say Gip. Just pulling on your tail this morning. And where the hell is Tour? He's been up to make a pick now for about 5 hours and remains offline. Very strange since he has been staying up regularly with the Browns draft board.
Sometimes some of us have work to do. I don't know if he is retired or not. My job for the most part is done here at my desk with the computer on it...but occasionally I have to do a better part of the day in client meetings, in court or otherwise. So I suspect he has that too.
-
-
Here's what I wonder: Did Watson even know about this velocity metric? Was he throwing as hard as he normally does, or was he just tuning it down to ensure accuracy to receivers he's never thrown to before? I mean, he had to know this was being measured, right? Wouldn't surprise me to see this being measured at his pro day, and wouldn't surprise me if he throws much harder. I don't remember Watson ever having a "gun", but I also don't remember his power being an issue either.
Edit: I just watched some highlights of Watson, and while I understand "highlights" aren't exactly a good representation of a player's ability, the film did at least show multiple throws with plenty of zip. Obviously I don't have a radar gun app for Youtube, but I can tell you the arm definitely passes the "eye test". Conversely, I did notice several throws that Watson kind of "lollypops" up in the air, but these were deep throws that enabled his receiver to get underneath. Whenever I saw a throw over the middle, the ball got there promptly.
Edit: I just watched some highlights of Watson, and while I understand "highlights" aren't exactly a good representation of a player's ability, the film did at least show multiple throws with plenty of zip. Obviously I don't have a radar gun app for Youtube, but I can tell you the arm definitely passes the "eye test". Conversely, I did notice several throws that Watson kind of "lollypops" up in the air, but these were deep throws that enabled his receiver to get underneath. Whenever I saw a throw over the middle, the ball got there promptly.
Deep lollypops take arm strength, too. Strength is not necessarily the same thing as velocity (quick twitch vs. slow twitch), but if I had to pick between them, then I think I go for strength.
I wonder what Watson's effective range is... certainly 50-yds... probably 55... 60?
The other warning sign would be at what distance does his accuracy start to fall apart. Straining for distance (or velocity) hurts accuracy.
-
Got interested in Dobbs' velocity and found this story. If you do the math, Dobbs is at least capable of 54mph haha. Might have only been on one play.
-
https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/842424217136164865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Matt Millers take
"Hearing a lot of inconsistent comments from scouts at the Clemson pro day on Watson. Think it depends on if you liked him prior" -
Seems about right...
Daniel JeremiahVerified account @MoveTheSticks
Scout at Clemson on Watson's day: Average day. Inconsistent timing/placement...solid on deep ball. It was a B-/C+ type workout.
-
Once heard that Manziel's proday was one of the best ever seen.
-
-
Word out of Clemson's Pro-Day is Watson killed it...
Here's Mayock's report:

Some year this QB shit will be easy for us, but ain't looking like it'll be 2017...
Word out of Clemson's Pro-Day is Watson killed it...
Here's Mayock's report:

Some year this QB shit will be easy for us, but ain't looking like it'll be 2017...
Word is that others didn't think it was all that and a bag of chips. From the Akron Beacon Journal:
Watson received mixed reviews for his pro day throwing session.
NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said on the air Watson had a "very impressive workout."
NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah tweeted that a scout at Clemson's pro day told him Watson's timing and placement were inconsistent but his deep throws were solid.
"It was a B-/C+ type workout," the scout told Jeremiah.
Watson completed 54-of-62 passes, according to the Associated Press. He also took snaps under center, something he'll need to adjust to in the NFL after operating out of the shotgun in Clemson's spread offense.
-
Word out of Clemson's Pro-Day is Watson killed it...
Here's Mayock's report:

Some year this QB shit will be easy for us, but ain't looking like it'll be 2017...
Word is that others didn't think it was all that and a bag of chips. From the Akron Beacon Journal:
Watson received mixed reviews for his pro day throwing session.
NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said on the air Watson had a "very impressive workout."
NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah tweeted that a scout at Clemson's pro day told him Watson's timing and placement were inconsistent but his deep throws were solid.
"It was a B-/C+ type workout," the scout told Jeremiah.
Watson completed 54-of-62 passes, according to the Associated Press. He also took snaps under center, something he'll need to adjust to in the NFL after operating out of the shotgun in Clemson's spread offense.
Word is that others didn't think it was all that and a bag of chips. From the Akron Beacon Journal:
I doubt any of them will be all that or a bag a chips.......a well below average group of prospects.....so Id expect many ho hum reports to be forth coming.....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

