Skip to content

Here's An Article for Mud... Cleveland Browns need a safety - 7 best NFL Draft options

The Browns Board
41 15 823
  • The sleeper may have already been found in 6'3" 211 Tyvis Powell. A better sure tackler than I. Campbell imo. All Buckeye DB's have waited for their time behind some good one's. Same with Hooker. We go Hooker or Adams your giving up picks to get there.Obi 6'4" M Williams 6'1" but both on tape take some bad tackling angles..Josh Jones is the best physical guy that that is no reach at 108.Just to watch the kid pound somebody i would not be hesitate at #65 1st pick of 3rd.But I like taking Jake Butt at 65 cause 108 won't happen..Tuff choices all around my friends 🥷

  • Safety is a position of importance but I don't see anyone outside of Adams, Hooker, or Baker making an impact day 1. Adams would be my pick @ 12.

    We can get Mahomes or Webb in the 2nd if we really wanted to..

    Cleveland shot themselves in the foot by not signing a S. Letting go of TJ Ward was a big mistake.

    @domcucch1994 said:

    . Letting go of TJ Ward was a big mistake.

    Easy to say that now.

    TJ Ward was basically a small LB here, great against the run, but just so-so in pass coverage. I wasn't crazy about their decision to not match Denver's offer in FA- they took a chance and it back fired.

  • Have to admit... I did not see TJ performing in Denver like he did under "SonOfBum"... which is one of the best twitter handles there is and a helluva DC.

  • Have to admit... I did not see TJ performing in Denver like he did under "SonOfBum"... which is one of the best twitter handles there is and a helluva DC.

    @tour2ma said:

    I did not see TJ performing in Denver like he did under "SonOfBum"... a helluva DC.

    find me 2 CB's in Smith & Talib. a FS in Darin Stewart & a D-line that gives 2.5 to get rid of it...Mud could play TJ Ward 😮 ..#Son Of NO Bum(s)

  • I'm all for anyone named Gerbil playing for the browns. that kid probably got made fun of so much growing up, it's ridiculous. I bet he's a beast. #allingerbil

  • Im all good with this one Tour.....and you KNOW Im praying for a FS......and, if I can have Adams, Ill take a SS too......

    One thing I see a lot of folks saying(pundits and all) is the Browns need a "safety"......and, in my world, the Browns REALLY REALLY need a FREE Safety......specifically......and that would be Hooker, Baker or Williams......

    Im infatuated with Adams and would take him in a heart beat....BUT, if we do take him, it does NOT resolve our safety problem. So, we still will need to tap a FS along the way.....(guys noted above).....and middle round guy I also like is Marcus Maye. FS with some back bone(ss traits)....

    Im not too high on our current SS group....BUT....they are 2 youngsters who have shown some potential....so, if we are going to address only one safety position, lets make it FS and see if Campbell and Kindred can grow into the SS role.....especially since SS is more smash mouth tackler and requires a little less coverage skills and technique.....

  • Budda at #33, Jones at #52 - backend problems solved.

  • Im all good with this one Tour.....and you KNOW Im praying for a FS......and, if I can have Adams, Ill take a SS too......

    One thing I see a lot of folks saying(pundits and all) is the Browns need a "safety"......and, in my world, the Browns REALLY REALLY need a FREE Safety......specifically......and that would be Hooker, Baker or Williams......

    Im infatuated with Adams and would take him in a heart beat....BUT, if we do take him, it does NOT resolve our safety problem. So, we still will need to tap a FS along the way.....(guys noted above).....and middle round guy I also like is Marcus Maye. FS with some back bone(ss traits)....

    Im not too high on our current SS group....BUT....they are 2 youngsters who have shown some potential....so, if we are going to address only one safety position, lets make it FS and see if Campbell and Kindred can grow into the SS role.....especially since SS is more smash mouth tackler and requires a little less coverage skills and technique.....

    @mudfly said:

    Im all good with this one Tour.....and you KNOW Im praying for a FS......and, if I can have Adams, Ill take a SS too......

    One thing I see a lot of folks saying(pundits and all) is the Browns need a "safety"......and, in my world, the Browns REALLY REALLY need a FREE Safety......specifically......and that would be Hooker, Baker or Williams......

    Im infatuated with Adams and would take him in a heart beat....BUT, if we do take him, it does NOT resolve our safety problem. So, we still will need to tap a FS along the way.....(guys noted above).....and middle round guy I also like is Marcus Maye. FS with some back bone(ss traits)....

    Im not too high on our current SS group....BUT....they are 2 youngsters who have shown some potential....so, if we are going to address only one safety position, lets make it FS and see if Campbell and Kindred can grow into the SS role.....especially since SS is more smash mouth tackler and requires a little less coverage skills and technique.....

    If we go SS with Adams, I'd like to see more of a center fielder from my FS.

    I think we need a guy back there who is rangy, quick, can challenge receivers in the air, and has a nose for the ball.

    I think Williams fits that profile the best.

  • @mudfly said:

    Im all good with this one Tour.....and you KNOW Im praying for a FS......and, if I can have Adams, Ill take a SS too......

    One thing I see a lot of folks saying(pundits and all) is the Browns need a "safety"......and, in my world, the Browns REALLY REALLY need a FREE Safety......specifically......and that would be Hooker, Baker or Williams......

    Im infatuated with Adams and would take him in a heart beat....BUT, if we do take him, it does NOT resolve our safety problem. So, we still will need to tap a FS along the way.....(guys noted above).....and middle round guy I also like is Marcus Maye. FS with some back bone(ss traits)....

    Im not too high on our current SS group....BUT....they are 2 youngsters who have shown some potential....so, if we are going to address only one safety position, lets make it FS and see if Campbell and Kindred can grow into the SS role.....especially since SS is more smash mouth tackler and requires a little less coverage skills and technique.....

    If we go SS with Adams, I'd like to see more of a center fielder from my FS.

    I think we need a guy back there who is rangy, quick, can challenge receivers in the air, and has a nose for the ball.

    I think Williams fits that profile the best.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If we go SS with Adams, I'd like to see more of a center fielder from my FS.

    I think we need a guy back there who is rangy, quick, can challenge receivers in the air, and has a nose for the ball.

    I think Williams fits that profile the best.

    6'1>5'10 when the nose for ball meets challenge receiver in air..am just not sold on Budda's 5'10.watching Haden getting beat repeatedly on high throws outside may have done it

  • @mudfly said:

    Im all good with this one Tour.....and you KNOW Im praying for a FS......and, if I can have Adams, Ill take a SS too......

    One thing I see a lot of folks saying(pundits and all) is the Browns need a "safety"......and, in my world, the Browns REALLY REALLY need a FREE Safety......specifically......and that would be Hooker, Baker or Williams......

    Im infatuated with Adams and would take him in a heart beat....BUT, if we do take him, it does NOT resolve our safety problem. So, we still will need to tap a FS along the way.....(guys noted above).....and middle round guy I also like is Marcus Maye. FS with some back bone(ss traits)....

    Im not too high on our current SS group....BUT....they are 2 youngsters who have shown some potential....so, if we are going to address only one safety position, lets make it FS and see if Campbell and Kindred can grow into the SS role.....especially since SS is more smash mouth tackler and requires a little less coverage skills and technique.....

    If we go SS with Adams, I'd like to see more of a center fielder from my FS.

    I think we need a guy back there who is rangy, quick, can challenge receivers in the air, and has a nose for the ball.

    I think Williams fits that profile the best.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If we go SS with Adams, I'd like to see more of a center fielder from my FS.

    I think we need a guy back there who is rangy, quick, can challenge receivers in the air, and has a nose for the ball.

    I think Williams fits that profile the best.

    Righto....I definitely see FS as that rangy center fielder you're describing.....and agree we we need that guy, Adams or not...

    To me, Williams looks great.....along with a few others(just a really talented group this year).....and Id say he is the most "prototype" of the group....just looks like a FS should look and has the most balanced game(yes, even more balanced than Hooker).....

    @gumby73 said:

    6'1>5'10 when the nose for ball meets challenge receiver in air..am just not sold on Budda's 5'10.watching Haden getting beat repeatedly on high throws outside may have done it

    Budda might be short in stature....but he isnt short on making plays or knocking your teeth out......He has the best short game of ALL the FS group....plays the run well.....a complete safety, less 2 inches

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If we go SS with Adams, I'd like to see more of a center fielder from my FS.

    I think we need a guy back there who is rangy, quick, can challenge receivers in the air, and has a nose for the ball.

    I think Williams fits that profile the best.

    Righto....I definitely see FS as that rangy center fielder you're describing.....and agree we we need that guy, Adams or not...

    To me, Williams looks great.....along with a few others(just a really talented group this year).....and Id say he is the most "prototype" of the group....just looks like a FS should look and has the most balanced game(yes, even more balanced than Hooker).....

    @gumby73 said:

    6'1>5'10 when the nose for ball meets challenge receiver in air..am just not sold on Budda's 5'10.watching Haden getting beat repeatedly on high throws outside may have done it

    Budda might be short in stature....but he isnt short on making plays or knocking your teeth out......He has the best short game of ALL the FS group....plays the run well.....a complete safety, less 2 inches

    @mudfly said:

    Budda might be short in stature....but he isnt short on making plays or knocking your teeth out......He has the best short game of ALL the FS group....plays the run well.....a complete safety, less 2 inches

    as long as am not forced to watch a 5'11" no wrap,arm tackling,bounce off a guy like a gerbil peppers..I think I can fight my way threw it. 😎

  • @mudfly said:

    Budda might be short in stature....but he isnt short on making plays or knocking your teeth out......He has the best short game of ALL the FS group....plays the run well.....a complete safety, less 2 inches

    as long as am not forced to watch a 5'11" no wrap,arm tackling,bounce off a guy like a gerbil peppers..I think I can fight my way threw it. 😎

    @gumby73 said:

    as long as am not forced to watch a 5'11" no wrap,arm tackling,bounce off a guy like a gerbil peppers..I think I can fight my way threw it. 😎

    Yeah, Im not all that high on the Gerbil.......and Im guessing both(Gerbs and Budda) will go "too" high for my liking......

  • I don't hate Jabrill as a defensive weapon with some creative uses in sub packages.

  • ... and in a related article...


    Malik Hooker in the 2017 NFL Draft: 5 reasons the Browns should not pick him

    Summary of article's "points" in answer to opening question: Should the Browns draft Malik Hooker at No. 12?

    • If your QB is available, forget it.
    • Do you really take a one-year starter this high?
    • What about his injury?
    • The downside of Hooker's game. (tackling ability)
    • Can you maximize value and get a safety later?

    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/04/malik_hooker_in_the_2017_nfl_d.html

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and in a related article...

    Malik Hooker in the 2017 NFL Draft: 5 reasons the Browns should not pick him

    Summary of article's "points" in answer to opening question: Should the Browns draft Malik Hooker at No. 12?

    • If your QB is available, forget it.
    • Do you really take a one-year starter this high?
    • What about his injury?
    • The downside of Hooker's game. (tackling ability)
    • Can you maximize value and get a safety later?
    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/04/malik_hooker_in_the_2017_nfl_d.html
    Couple of things I read the article and its hard to argue with the guys first point. If you really believe the qb of the future is sitting there at 12 you have to take him, but if the browns are so sure of said qb being the guy why wouldn't they have taken him at number one instead of risking him falling to number 12.

    The one year starter thing is just complete garbage as in his first point he is advocating taking a one year starter at the qb position if he is your guy. So doesn't the same ring true for Hooker?

    You never know how a player is going to recover from surgery but it is considered minor surgery now a days. The fact he played the last half the season with a sports hernia and bowl game with torn labrum and did so very well speaks to his toughness.

    The tackling thing is very nitpicky. He is more than willing to stick his nose in on run plays and hit receivers coming over the middle. He would just rather make a play on the ball thrown over the middle. He's not a huge hitter by any stretch but he was a pretty sure tackler in college. I don't recall very many missed tackles from him unlike the free safety we just picked up from osu who played in front of him the previous year.

    Edit I read report said he had 13 missed tackles which is more than i expected. Report is wrong on tackles though as it said he had 17 when he actually had 74.

    The draft is very deep at safety. I fully agree you could be able to maximize value and go safety later. Literally can't argue this lol. Unless you try to solve both positions by going hooker at 12 and Jones with a pick in second round

  • Also of note Malik has only played football for 5 years so what little bad habits he has might be easier to shake/get rid of and he is still learning. As Michael Jordan would say the ceiling is the roof for this kid

  • Keep your eye on Eddie Jackson from Bama-I had him as my "steal" of the draft @ 108 for a reason, but I think he's gone before then. He dropped only because he broke a leg and that means nothing in the long run. Not a knee or a neck. Normally he goes in round 2 IMO.

  • Im all good with this one Tour.....and you KNOW Im praying for a FS......and, if I can have Adams, Ill take a SS too......

    One thing I see a lot of folks saying(pundits and all) is the Browns need a "safety"......and, in my world, the Browns REALLY REALLY need a FREE Safety......specifically......and that would be Hooker, Baker or Williams......

    Im infatuated with Adams and would take him in a heart beat....BUT, if we do take him, it does NOT resolve our safety problem. So, we still will need to tap a FS along the way.....(guys noted above).....and middle round guy I also like is Marcus Maye. FS with some back bone(ss traits)....

    Im not too high on our current SS group....BUT....they are 2 youngsters who have shown some potential....so, if we are going to address only one safety position, lets make it FS and see if Campbell and Kindred can grow into the SS role.....especially since SS is more smash mouth tackler and requires a little less coverage skills and technique.....

    @mudfly said:

    One thing I see a lot of folks saying(pundits and all) is the Browns need a "safety"......and, in my world, the Browns REALLY REALLY need a FREE Safety......specifically......and that would be Hooker, Baker or Williams......

    Im infatuated with Adams and would take him in a heart beat....BUT, if we do take him, it does NOT resolve our safety problem. So, we still will need to tap a FS along the way.....(guys noted above).....and middle round guy I also like is Marcus Maye. FS with some back bone(ss traits)....

    I like Maye as well and he was in many of my early FirstPick efforts... then I "discovered" Williams..

    My impression of this Safety class is that if there is one who has the potential of playing either position, it's Adams... and his Pro-Day 40 only confirmed that. While he's not in Hooker's ball-skill class (who is?), he stacks up favorably with the rest of the FS class IMO.

    While it can be argued that to use Adams at FS would be to underutilize him, if doing so got your best tandem on the field, I think I could live with that until we found our FS down the road. Could even spawn FA interest at the thought of being paired with the LSU kid.

    Thoughts?

  • That Obi dude is like 6 foot 4. Pretty rangy. Would be a solid FS for us if he falls in the second.. Something to consider if your DePo & Co.

  • That Obi dude is like 6 foot 4. Pretty rangy. Would be a solid FS for us if he falls in the second.. Something to consider if your DePo & Co.

    @domcucch1994 said:

    That Obi dude is like 6 foot 4. Pretty rangy. Would be a solid FS for us if he falls in the second.. Something to consider if your DePo & Co.

    Haven't heard talk about converting Obi to FS. He was an SS at UConn.

    I have agility concerns about Obi. His "close" in the Sr. Bowl in the redzone to stone a WR square-in was impressive, but it was a straight line close...

    Does that make it a "close-line"? 😎

  • I dont hate the idea of a safety at 12. If the top two safeties are gone and no qb we like, howard gone too, than to me peppers has to be the pick. Im really high on that kid. I know he didnt play safety much at michigan but how hard could it be to teach him seeing as he already played all over the place on offense and defense. Kid is obviously smart and teachable and one of the better athletes in the draft. Durable too right? Im not aware of major injury history with him but i could be wrong.

    I just love the idea of a hybrid safety/ lb like him that can up into the box and hold his iwn but also easily recover back if needed. Kids a stud