Skip to content

Here's An Article for Mud... Cleveland Browns need a safety - 7 best NFL Draft options

The Browns Board
41 15 823
  • @tour2ma said:

    My impression of this Safety class is that if there is one who has the potential of playing either position, it's Adams...

    .... to use Adams at FS would be to under utilize him, if doing so got your best tandem on the field, I think I could live with that ......

    Thoughts?

    Would agree that Adams could play both....and be pretty damn good at it too.....i would also agree that it isnt getting the biggest bang for your buck(from him)....but Id take him and then put the best 2 players on the field everytime....

    But...how could they NOT draft a FS??......is that even a possibility?

    Of course, we thought the same last year about C, didnt we?

    @domcucch1994 said:

    That Obi dude is like 6 foot 4. Pretty rangy. Would be a solid FS for us if he falls in the second.. Something to consider if your DePo & Co.

    Looks like an amazing athlete, but his game is not nearly as refined as several of the other guys(who may go after him)......while I see the potential(based upon his athleticism)....Im really much more into drafting game ready players.....(which are available)

    1st and 2nd round projects make me nervous......

    @clevfan4life said:

    Im really high on that kid. I know he didnt play safety much at michigan but how hard could it be to teach him seeing as he already played all over the place on offense and defense. Kid is obviously smart and teachable and one of the better athletes in the draft. Durable too right? Im not aware of major injury history with him but i could be wrong.

    I just love the idea of a hybrid safety/ lb like him that can up into the box and hold his iwn but also easily recover back if needed. Kids a stud

    I see the reason you like him too.....my issue is what I just described above.....he's a raw talent without any refined skills....and a 1st round "project".....I have to pass.....

    Have you watched his tackling?........needs to learn how to wrap up......looks like a Whitner clone going for the "no arms kill shot"......

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @mudfly said:

    Would agree that Adams could play both....and be pretty damn good at it too.....i would also agree that it isnt getting the biggest bang for your buck(from him)....but Id take him and then put the best 2 players on the field everytime....

    But...how could they NOT draft a FS??......is that even a possibility?

    Just saying he's a better SS than FS, although he'd be fine as the latter, and SSs tend to get into the action more... more big hit opprotunities.

    How would we not pick a FS? Easy... I don't see Adams falling to 12, so it'd take a trade up. A trade up eats picks quite possibly our 2.20 (#52). Fewer, or lower if we get a balancing 4th or so, picks mean a greater chance that we are not in position to take a FS Day 2 unless we reach... and I don't think we'd reach for a FS.

    We simply are not going to fill every need this draft... but a Garrett - Adams start would go a long way...

  • @mudfly said:

    Would agree that Adams could play both....and be pretty damn good at it too.....i would also agree that it isnt getting the biggest bang for your buck(from him)....but Id take him and then put the best 2 players on the field everytime....

    But...how could they NOT draft a FS??......is that even a possibility?

    Just saying he's a better SS than FS, although he'd be fine as the latter, and SSs tend to get into the action more... more big hit opprotunities.

    How would we not pick a FS? Easy... I don't see Adams falling to 12, so it'd take a trade up. A trade up eats picks quite possibly our 2.20 (#52). Fewer, or lower if we get a balancing 4th or so, picks mean a greater chance that we are not in position to take a FS Day 2 unless we reach... and I don't think we'd reach for a FS.

    We simply are not going to fill every need this draft... but a Garrett - Adams start would go a long way...

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    Just saying he's a better SS than FS, although he'd be fine as the latter, and SSs tend to get into the action more... more big hit opprotunities.

    How would we not pick a FS? Easy... I don't see Adams falling to 12, so it'd take a trade up. A trade up eats picks quite possibly our 2.20 (#52). Fewer, or lower if we get a balancing 4th or so, picks mean a greater chance that we are not in position to take a FS Day 2 unless we reach... and I don't think we'd reach for a FS.

    We simply are not going to fill every need this draft... but a Garrett - Adams start would go a long way...

    Yeah.....I see what you're saying......though, no way I see Shashi going up to get Adams........(probably gonna pick a QB or LS at 12)..... 😉.....(snicker)

    Bottom line.....Im selfish....want both......and think FS is a dire need.....just hope Shashi feels the same......

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by cambridgeho
    #29

    Would moving up from 12 to 5-7 range for a safety cost us 1st next year?

  • Would moving up from 12 to 5-7 range for a safety cost us 1st next year?

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @cambridgeho said:

    Would moving up from 12 to 5-7 range for a safety cost us 1st next year?

    How about next years 1st.....and a second from this year?.....then we keep 12......

    Id do that for sure....

  • @cambridgeho said:

    Would moving up from 12 to 5-7 range for a safety cost us 1st next year?

    How about next years 1st.....and a second from this year?.....then we keep 12......

    Id do that for sure....

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #31

    @mudfly said:

    How about next years 1st.....and a second from this year?.....then we keep 12......

    Id do that for sure....

    Spending our future QB ammo like a drunken Manziel are we?

    @cambridgeho said:

    Would moving up from 12 to 5-7 range for a safety cost us 1st next year?

    Not per the Meers chart... which since he works for us I assume we'd use.

    12 to 5 requires ~75 points of added value to be a Meers, equal trade. Our 1st pick in the 5th (5.01) charts in at 75 and change, but will be devalued some by all the Comp Picks so might have to send along our pick 3.01 and take a 7th in return to balance things.

    The Hitch... the holder of the higher pick might not love the Meers chart, but loves the traditional JJ chart. In that case they'd want our 2.01 pick at minimum.... more, if they are getting other calls... another "hitch".

    Our 2018 #1 is likely worth a little less than 2017's 2.01 as it's not likely we finish with the worst record again.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #32

    The more I think about it.....Im leaning toward drafting four safeties....

    Gimme Adams and Hooker early......then give me Williams and Jones to back em up....OR take the #1 job if one of the early ones fail....

    Go gettem Shashi.....🙂

  • I dont hate the idea of a safety at 12. If the top two safeties are gone and no qb we like, howard gone too, than to me peppers has to be the pick. Im really high on that kid. I know he didnt play safety much at michigan but how hard could it be to teach him seeing as he already played all over the place on offense and defense. Kid is obviously smart and teachable and one of the better athletes in the draft. Durable too right? Im not aware of major injury history with him but i could be wrong.

    I just love the idea of a hybrid safety/ lb like him that can up into the box and hold his iwn but also easily recover back if needed. Kids a stud

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by MLD Woody
    #33

    @clevfan4life said:

    I dont hate the idea of a safety at 12. If the top two safeties are gone and no qb we like, howard gone too, than to me peppers has to be the pick. Im really high on that kid. I know he didnt play safety much at michigan but how hard could it be to teach him seeing as he already played all over the place on offense and defense. Kid is obviously smart and teachable and one of the better athletes in the draft. Durable too right? Im not aware of major injury history with him but i could be wrong.

    I just love the idea of a hybrid safety/ lb like him that can up into the box and hold his iwn but also easily recover back if needed. Kids a stud

    He missed 2/3 of his freshman year with a leg injury. Though near the end of that season we just kept him out so he could redshirt (and it was a lost cause)

    I'd also like to note I am not Cleve. Despite his desire to draft Peppers

  • The more I think about it.....Im leaning toward drafting four safeties....

    Gimme Adams and Hooker early......then give me Williams and Jones to back em up....OR take the #1 job if one of the early ones fail....

    Go gettem Shashi.....🙂

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @mudfly said:

    The more I think about it.....Im leaning toward drafting four safeties....

    Gimme Adams and Hooker early......then give me Williams and Jones to back em up....OR take the #1 job if one of the early ones fail....

    Go gettem Shashi.....🙂

    Getting Hooker or Adam's at 12 would be great.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #35



    Somehow, I missed Flugels' link on this small school safety.

    THIS is a kid I would want to be on my football team, small-school, I don't care.

    He is a football player.

    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/2/20/14676628/nfl-draft-prospect-lorenzo-jerome

    http://draftbreakdown.com/why-lorenzo-jerome-will-make-history-at-nfl-draft/

    He had two ints and a forced fumble in the Senior Bowl. If he is there in the fourth round, I would pick him in a

    NY second. Chances are, he turned heads at the Senior Bowl to up his stock to the third round.



  • Somehow, I missed Flugels' link on this small school safety.

    THIS is a kid I would want to be on my football team, small-school, I don't care.

    He is a football player.

    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/2/20/14676628/nfl-draft-prospect-lorenzo-jerome

    http://draftbreakdown.com/why-lorenzo-jerome-will-make-history-at-nfl-draft/

    He had two ints and a forced fumble in the Senior Bowl. If he is there in the fourth round, I would pick him in a

    NY second. Chances are, he turned heads at the Senior Bowl to up his stock to the third round.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @calfoxwc said:

    Somehow, I missed Flugels' link on this small school safety.

    THIS is a kid I would want to be on my football team, small-school, I don't care.

    He is a football player.

    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/2/20/14676628/nfl-draft-prospect-lorenzo-jerome

    http://draftbreakdown.com/why-lorenzo-jerome-will-make-history-at-nfl-draft/

    He had two ints and a forced fumble in the Senior Bowl. If he is there in the fourth round, I would pick him in a

    NY second. Chances are, he turned heads at the Senior Bowl to up his stock to the third round.

    Definitely an intriguing prospect......late.....but, once we are up toward early 4 or even 3rd, I see him as more of a reach than a value pick.....kind of a Pierre Desir in a safety suit

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #37

    true - sometimes several teams see a reach that will be a very, very good NFL player - and who gets him,

    if you wait around, before another team reaches for him and you are out of luck?

    It's all so interesting this year. But yeah, third round seems a good bit way too high for a small school player...

    we'll have to wait and see. The kid proved himself at the senior bowl - he is known by teams, now.



  • Somehow, I missed Flugels' link on this small school safety.

    THIS is a kid I would want to be on my football team, small-school, I don't care.

    He is a football player.

    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/2/20/14676628/nfl-draft-prospect-lorenzo-jerome

    http://draftbreakdown.com/why-lorenzo-jerome-will-make-history-at-nfl-draft/

    He had two ints and a forced fumble in the Senior Bowl. If he is there in the fourth round, I would pick him in a

    NY second. Chances are, he turned heads at the Senior Bowl to up his stock to the third round.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #38

    @calfoxwc said:

    Somehow, I missed Flugels' link on this small school safety.

    THIS is a kid I would want to be on my football team, small-school, I don't care.

    He is a football player.

    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2017/2/20/14676628/nfl-draft-prospect-lorenzo-jerome

    http://draftbreakdown.com/why-lorenzo-jerome-will-make-history-at-nfl-draft/

    He had two ints and a forced fumble in the Senior Bowl. If he is there in the fourth round, I would pick him in a

    NY second. Chances are, he turned heads at the Senior Bowl to up his stock to the third round.

    Did you just confirm Tour's inventory of the number of people reading my posts to be less than 4?

    In any event, thanks for all the goodies Cal! Yeah, before the Senior Bowl I was like "big deal they're giving some small school kid a chance to play while the bigger school prospects don't need this game." But this kid really jumped out at me. When you cause/get 3 different turnovers in 1 game - very tough not to like the impact and instincts. I wish he was a little bigger but I've seen a Thane Gash, Stevon Moore and others play very well here in similar frames. Plus, he's at an age where he can pack on some muscle to his 200 lbs.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #39

    and, at safety, I think height is way less of an issue.....5'10" - 6'....it's all the same......I think his size would be fine.....

  • The more I think about it.....Im leaning toward drafting four safeties....

    Gimme Adams and Hooker early......then give me Williams and Jones to back em up....OR take the #1 job if one of the early ones fail....

    Go gettem Shashi.....🙂

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @mudfly said:

    The more I think about it.....Im leaning toward drafting four safeties....

    Sashi = Master Po

    Mud = "Grasshopper"

    @flugel said:

    Did you just confirm Tour's inventory of the number of people reading my posts to be less than 4?

    lmao...

  • @mudfly said:

    The more I think about it.....Im leaning toward drafting four safeties....

    Sashi = Master Po

    Mud = "Grasshopper"

    @flugel said:

    Did you just confirm Tour's inventory of the number of people reading my posts to be less than 4?

    lmao...

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @tour2ma said:

    Sashi = Master Po

    Mud = "Grasshopper"

    😛