Browns "BPA" Draft
-
The south was gray during the civil war.
Are you speaking of the Great Yankee Invasion of 1861-65?

I'll have to "Grant" you one thing. His landing the union army on the east side of the Mississippi south of and surrounding/starving out Vicksburg to choke off supply lines from west of the Mississippi was one of the greatest military feats in history. Not bad for an Ohio boy.
Are you speaking of the Great Yankee Invasion of 1861-65?

I'll have to "Grant" you one thing. His landing the union army on the east side of the Mississippi south of and surrounding/starving out Vicksburg to choke off supply lines from west of the Mississippi was one of the greatest military feats in history. Not bad for an Ohio boy.
Don't forget about another of our Home Boys. (my grade school was named after him):

-
Are you speaking of the Great Yankee Invasion of 1861-65?

I'll have to "Grant" you one thing. His landing the union army on the east side of the Mississippi south of and surrounding/starving out Vicksburg to choke off supply lines from west of the Mississippi was one of the greatest military feats in history. Not bad for an Ohio boy.
Don't forget about another of our Home Boys. (my grade school was named after him):

Don't forget about another of our Home Boys. (my grade school was named after hi
We don't discuss the Raper of Atlanta and his March to the Sea down here.

^_^ 
We just erase that.

PS-I have $212 in Confederate Bills mounted and framed hanging in my little library originally given to me by my thievin' Yankee in laws. As we say down here, "Hang on to your confederate money boys, the south shall rise again."
:lol:
:lol: -
Don't forget about another of our Home Boys. (my grade school was named after hi
We don't discuss the Raper of Atlanta and his March to the Sea down here.

^_^ 
We just erase that.

PS-I have $212 in Confederate Bills mounted and framed hanging in my little library originally given to me by my thievin' Yankee in laws. As we say down here, "Hang on to your confederate money boys, the south shall rise again."
:lol:
:lol:We don't discuss the Raper of Atlanta and his March to the Sea down here.

^_^ 
We just erase that.

Y'all started a war. He just finished it.
PS-I have $212 in Confederate Bills mounted and framed hanging in my little library originally given to me by my thievin' Yankee in laws. As we say down here, "Hang on to your confederate money boys, the south shall rise again."
:lol:
:lol:Its a place called "The United States of America".
The south didn't "rise again" until natural gas prices for winter heating drove a lot of people south. It was the northerners who went south that caused it to "rise". That and air conditioning.
-
If the south rises, it will be for the first time.
-
If the south rises, it will be for the first time.
If the south rises, it will be for the first time.
ESS EEE SEE
-
Yep -Gip even my old ex girlfriend from Toledo lives in Dallas now. Just another carpetbagger.

Of course I got captured by a Rhode Islander over 47 years ago. She lets me play here from my cell.

-
The south was gray during the civil war.
Are you speaking of the Great Yankee Invasion of 1861-65?

I'll have to "Grant" you one thing. His landing the union army on the east side of the Mississippi south of and surrounding/starving out Vicksburg to choke off supply lines from west of the Mississippi was one of the greatest military feats in history. Not bad for an Ohio boy.
Are you speaking of the Great Yankee Invasion of 1861-65?

I'll have to "Grant" you one thing. His landing the union army on the east side of the Mississippi south of and surrounding/starving out Vicksburg to choke off supply lines from west of the Mississippi was one of the greatest military feats in history. Not bad for an Ohio boy.
Hey... you started it.
When I make the I-20 trek to bounce grandkids on my knee, Vicksburg is a must-stop, welcome center. Beautiful view of the Mississippi from the heart of the Confederate gun placement area that controlled the River.
-
Yep -Gip even my old ex girlfriend from Toledo lives in Dallas now. Just another carpetbagger.

Of course I got captured by a Rhode Islander over 47 years ago. She lets me play here from my cell.

Yep -Gip even my old ex girlfriend from Toledo lives in Dallas now. Just another carpetbagger.

Of course I got captured by a Rhode Islander over 47 years ago. She lets me play here from my cell.

Do you consider Dallas "the south"? I guess, maybe, since it is in Texas...which was a "Confederate" state. Though it is not "south" like Houston and San Antone.
(fyi, I think I told you...my brother used to live in Kerrville....before JMZ was even born, and my daughter lives in SA)
-
Are you speaking of the Great Yankee Invasion of 1861-65?

I'll have to "Grant" you one thing. His landing the union army on the east side of the Mississippi south of and surrounding/starving out Vicksburg to choke off supply lines from west of the Mississippi was one of the greatest military feats in history. Not bad for an Ohio boy.
Hey... you started it.
When I make the I-20 trek to bounce grandkids on my knee, Vicksburg is a must-stop, welcome center. Beautiful view of the Mississippi from the heart of the Confederate gun placement area that controlled the River.
Hey... you started it.
When I make the I-20 trek to bounce grandkids on my knee, Vicksburg is a must-stop, welcome center. Beautiful view of the Mississippi from the heart of the Confederate gun placement area that controlled the River.
I remember going to a casino on a Riverboat there. I believe it was on the Yazoo River? (and, of course I toured the battlefield. See my thread in the Barbershop on National Park units)
-
I've been there and I have been to Shiloh where my great, great uncle was shot thru both legs as a member of the 8th Texas Rangers Cav unit and left for dead. He was taken to the first ever MASH unit on the battlefield and his life was saved by Union surgeons without removing legs since the bullet did not hit bone. He was eventually exchanged at Vicksburg and made his way back to Austin. Interesting stuff huh?
-
Yep -Gip even my old ex girlfriend from Toledo lives in Dallas now. Just another carpetbagger.

Of course I got captured by a Rhode Islander over 47 years ago. She lets me play here from my cell.

Do you consider Dallas "the south"? I guess, maybe, since it is in Texas...which was a "Confederate" state. Though it is not "south" like Houston and San Antone.
(fyi, I think I told you...my brother used to live in Kerrville....before JMZ was even born, and my daughter lives in SA)
Do you consider Dallas "the south"? I guess, maybe, since it is in Texas...which was a "Confederate" state. Though it is not "south" like Houston and San Antone.
(fyi, I think I told you...my brother used to live in Kerrville....before JMZ was even born, and my daughter lives in SA)
Dallas is absolutely the south. The crown jewel of it in fact.
-
Do you consider Dallas "the south"? I guess, maybe, since it is in Texas...which was a "Confederate" state. Though it is not "south" like Houston and San Antone.
(fyi, I think I told you...my brother used to live in Kerrville....before JMZ was even born, and my daughter lives in SA)
Dallas is absolutely the south. The crown jewel of it in fact.
Dallas is absolutely the south. The crown jewel of it in fact.
More like the sphincter of the south. No, more like the navel. It is not fucked up, except perhaps traffic. Nothing wrong, just nothing appealing about Dallas/Ft. Worth. Houston either. San Antonio and Austin much more interesting towns.
I did a recent tour of towns in Texas.
El Paso a bit "third world".
Odessa/Midland/Lubbock a bit blah.
Parts of Amarillo are like a throw back to the 40s/50s with old route 66 going through there. Kinda cool in a retro sense.
Abilene is a "pretty little town". Perhaps not the prettiest I have ever seen, but nice.
Waco is not as Whacko as the name implies. Kind of middle of the road.
Galveston was kind of cool, the parts I saw of it. Though for the 2 days I was there this past winter break it was completely shrouded in fog the whole time.
See my "Gipper's Guide to America" thread in the Barbershop for a ranking I have done of North American towns.
-
Dallas is absolutely the south. The crown jewel of it in fact.
More like the sphincter of the south. No, more like the navel. It is not fucked up, except perhaps traffic. Nothing wrong, just nothing appealing about Dallas/Ft. Worth. Houston either. San Antonio and Austin much more interesting towns.
I did a recent tour of towns in Texas.
El Paso a bit "third world".
Odessa/Midland/Lubbock a bit blah.
Parts of Amarillo are like a throw back to the 40s/50s with old route 66 going through there. Kinda cool in a retro sense.
Abilene is a "pretty little town". Perhaps not the prettiest I have ever seen, but nice.
Waco is not as Whacko as the name implies. Kind of middle of the road.
Galveston was kind of cool, the parts I saw of it. Though for the 2 days I was there this past winter break it was completely shrouded in fog the whole time.
See my "Gipper's Guide to America" thread in the Barbershop for a ranking I have done of North American towns.
More like the sphincter of the south. No, more like the navel. It is not fucked up, except perhaps traffic. Nothing wrong, just nothing appealing about Dallas/Ft. Worth. Houston either. San Antonio and Austin much more interesting towns.
I did a recent tour of towns in Texas.
El Paso a bit "third world".
Odessa/Midland/Lubbock a bit blah.
Parts of Amarillo are like a throw back to the 40s/50s with old route 66 going through there. Kinda cool in a retro sense.
Abilene is a "pretty little town". Perhaps not the prettiest I have ever seen, but nice.
Waco is not as Whacko as the name implies. Kind of middle of the road.
Galveston was kind of cool, the parts I saw of it. Though for the 2 days I was there this past winter break it was completely shrouded in fog the whole time.
See my "Gipper's Guide to America" thread in the Barbershop for a ranking I have done of North American towns.
Traffic in Dallas is great compared to Austin and Houston. Great city.
-
I've been there and I have been to Shiloh where my great, great uncle was shot thru both legs as a member of the 8th Texas Rangers Cav unit and left for dead. He was taken to the first ever MASH unit on the battlefield and his life was saved by Union surgeons without removing legs since the bullet did not hit bone. He was eventually exchanged at Vicksburg and made his way back to Austin. Interesting stuff huh?
I've been there and I have been to Shiloh where my great, great uncle was shot thru both legs as a member of the 8th Texas Rangers Cav unit and left for dead. He was taken to the first ever MASH unit on the battlefield and his life was saved by Union surgeons without removing legs since the bullet did not hit bone. He was eventually exchanged at Vicksburg and made his way back to Austin. Interesting stuff huh?
Yes, it is...
Can't explain it but get a very weird vibe off of some Civil War battlefields. Gettysberg, twice as a kid and again as an adult, but they were nothing compared to two I had driving through Manasas Battlefield Park going Dulles to DC and back on a business trip. And on the way to DC I'd never noticed I was driving by it.
Maybe the Buddists are onto something???
Dallas is absolutely the south. The crown jewel of it in fact.
Don't know about that "crown jewel thing (*cough* Charleston, SC *cough*), but Dallas is a helluva lot more "southern" than Houston.
Both were barely 30-yo when the Civil War broke out.
-
More like the sphincter of the south. No, more like the navel. It is not fucked up, except perhaps traffic. Nothing wrong, just nothing appealing about Dallas/Ft. Worth. Houston either. San Antonio and Austin much more interesting towns.
I did a recent tour of towns in Texas.
El Paso a bit "third world".
Odessa/Midland/Lubbock a bit blah.
Parts of Amarillo are like a throw back to the 40s/50s with old route 66 going through there. Kinda cool in a retro sense.
Abilene is a "pretty little town". Perhaps not the prettiest I have ever seen, but nice.
Waco is not as Whacko as the name implies. Kind of middle of the road.
Galveston was kind of cool, the parts I saw of it. Though for the 2 days I was there this past winter break it was completely shrouded in fog the whole time.
See my "Gipper's Guide to America" thread in the Barbershop for a ranking I have done of North American towns.
Traffic in Dallas is great compared to Austin and Houston. Great city.
Traffic in Dallas is great compared to Austin and Houston. Great city.
You may be right. Austin has become awful. And I suspect the same about Houston, though the last couple of times I went through there I was able to avoid rush hour, so I made it through pretty well both times with no tie-ups. I just see very little in Dallas that is of any real interest. The most interesting place is the assassination location, and boy, if that is the best thing you got going for you...well, that kind of tells it all.
-
I've been there and I have been to Shiloh where my great, great uncle was shot thru both legs as a member of the 8th Texas Rangers Cav unit and left for dead. He was taken to the first ever MASH unit on the battlefield and his life was saved by Union surgeons without removing legs since the bullet did not hit bone. He was eventually exchanged at Vicksburg and made his way back to Austin. Interesting stuff huh?
Yes, it is...
Can't explain it but get a very weird vibe off of some Civil War battlefields. Gettysberg, twice as a kid and again as an adult, but they were nothing compared to two I had driving through Manasas Battlefield Park going Dulles to DC and back on a business trip. And on the way to DC I'd never noticed I was driving by it.
Maybe the Buddists are onto something???
Dallas is absolutely the south. The crown jewel of it in fact.
Don't know about that "crown jewel thing (*cough* Charleston, SC *cough*), but Dallas is a helluva lot more "southern" than Houston.
Both were barely 30-yo when the Civil War broke out.
Yes, it is...
Can't explain it but get a very weird vibe off of some Civil War battlefields. Gettysberg, twice as a kid and again as an adult, but they were nothing compared to two I had driving through Manasas Battlefield Park going Dulles to DC and back on a business trip. And on the way to DC I'd never noticed I was driving by it.
Maybe the Buddists are onto something???
Don't know about that "crown jewel thing (*cough* Charleston, SC *cough*), but Dallas is a helluva lot more "southern" than Houston.
Both were barely 30-yo when the Civil War broke out.
My best friend proposed to his wife in Charleston. They are only mid-20's but are set on retiring there lol.
I'm not sure that I'd say Dallas is more southern than Houston. Houston brings some of the same rich oilman in cowboy boots-type guys and adds the diversity and culture you see in other parts of the south. It's an uncommon opinion, but I like both.
-
Best thing in DFW is actually the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. They bring in world class artworks on a regular basis.
-
Traffic in Dallas is great compared to Austin and Houston. Great city.
You may be right. Austin has become awful. And I suspect the same about Houston, though the last couple of times I went through there I was able to avoid rush hour, so I made it through pretty well both times with no tie-ups. I just see very little in Dallas that is of any real interest. The most interesting place is the assassination location, and boy, if that is the best thing you got going for you...well, that kind of tells it all.
You may be right. Austin has become awful. And I suspect the same about Houston, though the last couple of times I went through there I was able to avoid rush hour, so I made it through pretty well both times with no tie-ups. I just see very little in Dallas that is of any real interest. The most interesting place is the assassination location, and boy, if that is the best thing you got going for you...well, that kind of tells it all.
Houston traffic is bad but at least they're generally on top of infrastructure development. Austin is, pretty much as a rule, about 10 years behind.
-
Best thing in DFW is actually the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. They bring in world class artworks on a regular basis.
Best thing in DFW is actually the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. They bring in world class artworks on a regular basis.
Haven't been there, it the modern art museum of Fort Worth was a lot of fun. That giant cone made out of huge slabs of iron is pretty surreal.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login