Skip to content

Biggest Areas of Concern

The Browns Board
105 25 3.1k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Playmakers = RBs + WRs... both can be added at any time via the draft or FA. We are building foundations... front to back and inside out... just like real teams do.

    Foundations (O-Line, D-Line)... both can be added at any time via the draft or FA.

    QB, WR, RB? These are just as much "foundational" players as any other. In some cases more so. Focusing on one area and ignoring another (or simply failing at building another) regardless of what side you feel is more important, is a strategy that will always fail.

    Pryor's contract ended up being cheap and short-term. We offered more over a longer period. He declined and wanted to shop. Pryor fucked up; we did not. We wanted a contract that locked him into service after further investment in his development, should he develop. Guess what, assuming he does develop in WSH we can bid for him again if we so desire.

    The same desire to shop was true of Schwartz. In both cases we gauged their value better than they did. By standing by our evaluations we have set a tone for all future negotiations. Plus in our deals with Zeitler and Collins we have shown that we are willing to pay top dollar when we think the player is worth it.

    What is "setting the tone" for future negotiations? Hardball? LOL There are VERY few teams who have that luxury and the Browns are FAR from being one of them.

    Pryor fucked up... And so did the Browns. Pryor got less money. The Browns lost a playmaker. Schwartz fucked up... And so did the Browns. Schwartz got less money. And the Browns have had ??? at RT (although I admit to liking Coleman a hell of a lot and disappointed they let Pasztor walk as I believed him to be better than what he was given credit for). Neither party gained anything by playing these negotiations the way they did.

    So we needed to spend willy-nilly just to simply elevate our payroll's standing? /s

    We stripped down to our shorts and are now filling our closet. It'll take time. As pointed out a couple times above money has to be held in reserve for long-term deals for our high draft picks if and when they show their worthiness of the picks we spent on them.

    Rebuilding is a process... one that will likely keep us in the bottom ten of payrolls for two or three more seasons, but the vector is angled up and when it takes off we will leapfrog a lot of teams in a hurry. Payroll is a "lagging indicator".

    You're completely missing the point.

    I don't mind the strategy of stripping it down and building it up with a consistent vision. I have praised them for doing such.

    I do have a problem with calling that strategy an "open wallet". It's a mislabel and entirely disingenuous. We can laud the team for doing the things they are actually doing well without having to make up BS to support our position.

    We don't have a QB (yet). Our WR corps is abysmal. Our management is silent on Josh Gordon and that's a travesty. And our secondary is ugly ass fuck. The team will go nowhere without those areas addressed.

    But I'm not an "all negative" guy. Far from it. I like Jackson. I love the hire of Williams. I believe the Browns to have a "Top Ten" in both the defensive AND offensive lines this season and that should make a huge difference in how competitive they play on a consistent basis. I think Njoku and Devalve are going to be a potent punch at TE. I was against making a big addition at RB, because I like Duke and love Crowell. DeShone Kizer in the second was a COUP and showed up the teams who were sacrificing big assets to draft QBs this season in the first round. Getting a second for taking on Osweiller was a trade I am unabashed support of. I am very excited to see the improvements for this season and I can't wait for next year's draft.

    I'm not just an asshole who pisses on everything Browns. And I don't appreciate being treated as though that's the case. Especially from a cat like yourself who I have an incredible amount of respect for and whom I learn a lot about the sport from.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    We don't have a QB (yet). Our WR corps is abysmal. Our management is silent on Josh Gordon and that's a travesty. And our secondary is ugly ass fuck. The team will go nowhere without those areas addressed.

    But I'm not an "all negative" guy. Far from it. I like Jackson. I love the hire of Williams. I believe the Browns to have a "Top Ten" in both the defensive AND offensive lines this season and that should make a huge difference in how competitive they play on a consistent basis. I think Njoku and Devalve are going to be a potent punch at TE. I was against making a big addition at RB, because I like Duke and love Crowell. DeShone Kizer in the second was a COUP and showed up the teams who were sacrificing big assets to draft QBs this season in the first round. Getting a second for taking on Osweiller was a trade I am unabashed support of. I am very excited to see the improvements for this season and I can't wait for next year's draft.

    I'm not just an asshole who pisses on everything Browns. And I don't appreciate being treated as though that's the case. Especially from a cat like yourself who I have an incredible amount of respect for and whom I learn a lot about the sport from.

    No disrespect was meant.... just disagreements stated where we disagree. If you've read my posts, especially lately, you can note that I don't waste time responding to posters who/posts that I don't respect... and I've "ignore listed" those who most consistently waste my time.

    Quality OL are now one of the scarcest commodities in FA and the draft. The NCAA style is responsible for the draft's dearth of talent and in turn that reality has increased the value of OL in the NFL.On the other hand RB and WR are the two of the most plentiful positions... IMO. I simply think it is easier to add the latter two later...

    We are in lockstep on our QB situation. Not there yet, but have possibilities both current and future.

    And, yes, there are still other areas to be addressed including the 2ndary... another area where I see off-season talent being plentiful. Plus I'm really looking forward to seeing how ours performs under new leadership, a new philosophy and behind a bolstered DL. I think our organization is as well... thus the lack of priority there this off season.

    One last point of clarification, not contention... I've cited multiple instances where in 2017 Jimmah has opened his wallet. That's different from having an "open wallet policy"... an approach I do not like.

  • Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them.....and some we disagree on, but most thats football opinions on whats most important...

    Most of my ranting lately has been about the outrageous optimism following 1 -15....its ridiculous......and the blindness to us doing exactly what weve been doing, yet claiming its some new approach....I wont list it point by point, cause I have many times already.....but I assure you(and everybody else) I have LOVED the Browns for 40 years.....Im just tired of the bullshit and am not convinced much has changed....

    Look, to go from average to great, history shows you need to add several GREAT players and even more very good players....fast.....what people dont realize is we aren't even average.....were are terrible.....it will take a bunch of very good players just to get us back to average.....and even more to achieve great......and if I look at 2016-2017 for by measuring stick.....we are not remotely close.....in fact, we are barely doing whats needed to get to average....slowly.....

    And in 2 years now.....I honestly dont see one "great" player added to this team....we have added a couple "very goods" and a few goods ones.....but, considering we let approx 12 contributors leave, during the same period, I dont see any overall gains.....and a number of losses.....

    Gonna be another ....very .....long season.....

    .

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #65

    @mudfly said:

    Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them...

    Sweet Jesus... agreement with Phoolie?

    Maybe you do need to take a break... 😉

  • @mudfly said:

    Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them...

    Sweet Jesus... agreement with Phoolie?

    Maybe you do need to take a break... 😉

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @tour2ma said:

    Sweet Jesus... agreement with Phoolie?

    Maybe you do need to take a break... 😉

    Hahahaha.....Im getting crazier by the day....

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #67

    There is a bunch of unrealistic optimism? At how many wins does the optimism become unrealistic? I'm thinking anything more than 7.

    It is hard to put a number of wins to what a "good" season would be. We're at the stage where steady improvement and being within striking distance most games is considered good.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Sweet Jesus... agreement with Phoolie?

    Maybe you do need to take a break... 😉

    Hahahaha.....Im getting crazier by the day....

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @mudfly said:

    Hahahaha.....Im getting crazier by the day....

    Took the words right out of my fingers Mud. Insight is a beautiful first step to recovery. 😆 :lol:

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #69

    Biggest Areas of Concern

    ...just as a refresher:

    QB.......WR.......TE......RT........LB.......S.......CB

    That's quite a long list of areas of concern.

    Now, we addressed some of these issues in the draft. But it don't mean squat until we see that the draftee is good, (or not) That is why I didn't like letting our veteran all pro TE go BEFORE we knew that the draftee could fill his spot. We've certainly seen draft picks fail before.

  • @wargograw said:

    You guys are both right in different ways.

    You voted for Obama and Hillary.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @ghoolie said:

    You voted for Obama and Hillary.

    Yeah man, what gave it away? My vehement defense of the confederate flag?

  • I'm righter. LOL

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'm righter. LOL

    You are righter than Attila the Hun.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #72

    but in a good way....

  • but in a good way....

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @calfoxwc said:

    but in a good way....

    In the sense that you do not lead a murdering horde of barbarians. You stop just a little bit shy of that! 😆

  • Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them.....and some we disagree on, but most thats football opinions on whats most important...

    Most of my ranting lately has been about the outrageous optimism following 1 -15....its ridiculous......and the blindness to us doing exactly what weve been doing, yet claiming its some new approach....I wont list it point by point, cause I have many times already.....but I assure you(and everybody else) I have LOVED the Browns for 40 years.....Im just tired of the bullshit and am not convinced much has changed....

    Look, to go from average to great, history shows you need to add several GREAT players and even more very good players....fast.....what people dont realize is we aren't even average.....were are terrible.....it will take a bunch of very good players just to get us back to average.....and even more to achieve great......and if I look at 2016-2017 for by measuring stick.....we are not remotely close.....in fact, we are barely doing whats needed to get to average....slowly.....

    And in 2 years now.....I honestly dont see one "great" player added to this team....we have added a couple "very goods" and a few goods ones.....but, considering we let approx 12 contributors leave, during the same period, I dont see any overall gains.....and a number of losses.....

    Gonna be another ....very .....long season.....

    .

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @mudfly said:

    Listen....I appreciate the toned down approach...best way to get me engaged.....and you and I share a lot of the same feelings.......scary close on some of them.....and some we disagree on, but most thats football opinions on whats most important...

    Most of my ranting lately has been about the outrageous optimism following 1 -15....its ridiculous......and the blindness to us doing exactly what weve been doing, yet claiming its some new approach....I wont list it point by point, cause I have many times already.....but I assure you(and everybody else) I have LOVED the Browns for 40 years.....Im just tired of the bullshit and am not convinced much has changed....

    Look, to go from average to great, history shows you need to add several GREAT players and even more very good players....fast.....what people dont realize is we aren't even average.....were are terrible.....it will take a bunch of very good players just to get us back to average.....and even more to achieve great......and if I look at 2016-2017 for by measuring stick.....we are not remotely close.....in fact, we are barely doing whats needed to get to average....slowly.....

    And in 2 years now.....I honestly dont see one "great" player added to this team....we have added a couple "very goods" and a few goods ones.....but, considering we let approx 12 contributors leave, during the same period, I dont see any overall gains.....and a number of losses.....

    Gonna be another ....very .....long season.....

    .

    Dude, I agree with you more often than not, but confusion and chaos are vital ingredients to help people (not you) see clearly.

    Your points on improving are spot on. If you want to gain ground on the Steelers....then what are your answers for their top stars? The answer can't be....Analytics and Assets are giving us a lot of young talent. Young talent is an ingredient, for sure, but so are dependable playmakers who the team can be sure will produce.

    The only way the Browns will be improved is is an inordinately high percentage of our players pan out to be far above average. That's just not feasible. It is unrealistic.

    Somewhere over the years Browns fans and I guess management have taken the approach the the hottest prospect playmakers are just not for us. Is that Browns ownership is cheap? stupid? I am not saying this to pat myself on the back, but rather as an example of just how out of touch the Browns are....I was watching the Draft at a bar, when we took Garrett, I swear to you a split second before the Bears made their move, I said, someene is going to take Trubisky at #2.

    now, whether or not he is going to be great is not the issue. The issue is, anyone who knows anything realized that Trubisky was the best gamble for big turnout in the 2017 draft. The Browns simply don't bet on big payout players We take players that come with explanations about why this was really the better pick.

    I want the Browns to win. But how do you win without players who can light it up?

  • @ghoolie said:

    You voted for Obama and Hillary.

    Yeah man, what gave it away? My vehement defense of the confederate flag?

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @wargograw said:

    Yeah man, what gave it away? My vehement defense of the confederate flag?

    Just pulling your leg, man. Aren't you enjoy watching Calsnots get his panties caught in his snapper?

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #76

    I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room. They drafted and brought in so many lineman on both sides of the ball. I'm wondering which one of them us gonna be the QB and score points.. Because we have 0 QB and 0 at the WR position.. What a sad joke this franchise is.

  • I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room. They drafted and brought in so many lineman on both sides of the ball. I'm wondering which one of them us gonna be the QB and score points.. Because we have 0 QB and 0 at the WR position.. What a sad joke this franchise is.

    GhoolieG Ghoolie wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @nickers said:

    I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room. They drafted and brought in so many lineman on both sides of the ball. I'm wondering which one of them us gonna be the QB and score points.. Because we have 0 QB and 0 at the WR position.. What a sad joke this franchise is.

    Nick, you sound stupid. We can just pick a QB up mid season. Offensive Linemen are the guys that make the excitement.

  • I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room. They drafted and brought in so many lineman on both sides of the ball. I'm wondering which one of them us gonna be the QB and score points.. Because we have 0 QB and 0 at the WR position.. What a sad joke this franchise is.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @nickers said:

    I'll just say this.. The actions of this team , tells Me they do not believe building the franchise around the QB by building a solid QB room.

    😳

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #79

    Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #80

    now, whether or not he is going to be great is not the issue. The issue is, anyone who knows anything realized that Trubisky was the best gamble for big turnout in the 2017 draft. The Browns simply don't bet on big payout players We take players that come with explanations about why this was really the better pick.



    I want the Browns to win. But how do you win without players who can light it up?



    There certainly does appear to be some element of truth to this. Last year when they had the #2 overall...they traded down...and bypassed some very highly rated players who seemed capable of...as you say "lighting it up". Bosa, Elliot, others.

    And this year...to me they bypassed Trubisky who I think can light it up....in favor of a guy who I thought/think is not quite as good as Bosa. Though others here (and nationally) think that Garrett can light it up on the defense. We shall see.

    The thing though is that in the past when we thought the Browns got guys that could light it up on offense, they tanked miserably. Of course we are talking about the likes of Trent Richardson and Johnny Manziel.

    So...even if we get the guys we think can light it up....sometimes....like some firecrackers...they just turn out to be duds.

  • now, whether or not he is going to be great is not the issue. The issue is, anyone who knows anything realized that Trubisky was the best gamble for big turnout in the 2017 draft. The Browns simply don't bet on big payout players We take players that come with explanations about why this was really the better pick.



    I want the Browns to win. But how do you win without players who can light it up?



    There certainly does appear to be some element of truth to this. Last year when they had the #2 overall...they traded down...and bypassed some very highly rated players who seemed capable of...as you say "lighting it up". Bosa, Elliot, others.

    And this year...to me they bypassed Trubisky who I think can light it up....in favor of a guy who I thought/think is not quite as good as Bosa. Though others here (and nationally) think that Garrett can light it up on the defense. We shall see.

    The thing though is that in the past when we thought the Browns got guys that could light it up on offense, they tanked miserably. Of course we are talking about the likes of Trent Richardson and Johnny Manziel.

    So...even if we get the guys we think can light it up....sometimes....like some firecrackers...they just turn out to be duds.

    V VikingDawg wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @the-gipper said:

    now, whether or not he is going to be great is not the issue. The issue is, anyone who knows anything realized that Trubisky was the best gamble for big turnout in the 2017 draft. The Browns simply don't bet on big payout players We take players that come with explanations about why this was really the better pick.

    I want the Browns to win. But how do you win without players who can light it up?

    There certainly does appear to be some element of truth to this. Last year when they had the #2 overall...they traded down...and bypassed some very highly rated players who seemed capable of...as you say "lighting it up". Bosa, Elliot, others.

    And this year...to me they bypassed Trubisky who I think can light it up....in favor of a guy who I thought/think is not quite as good as Bosa. Though others here (and nationally) think that Garrett can light it up on the defense. We shall see.

    The thing though is that in the past when we thought the Browns got guys that could light it up on offense, they tanked miserably. Of course we are talking about the likes of Trent Richardson and Johnny Manziel.

    So...even if we get the guys we think can light it up....sometimes....like some firecrackers...they just turn out to be duds.

    I think that is the problem with the fanbase, really. Fans are tired of being fed the 3rd or 4th best options and being told to be excited. The QB is the most vital position on a football team, and THE best way to energize a fanbase. I could care less if Wentz, or Trubisky or Watson or Lynch don't pan out. I just would for once like a front office with the balls to pull the goddamn trigger and grab the best prospect at the most important position. GO for it. If they don't work out you are no worse than these shit shows of 2nd and 3rd round projects.

    The worst part? Most of the other regimes simply weren't in a position to grab anything more than the runner ups runner up while these fucking idiots were gifted numerous top shelf prospects and simply decided to pass to prove how much smarter than the rest of the NFL they are. Yeah... Real brilliance....

  • @wargograw said:

    Yeah man, what gave it away? My vehement defense of the confederate flag?

    Just pulling your leg, man. Aren't you enjoy watching Calsnots get his panties caught in his snapper?

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #82

    @ghoolie said:

    Just pulling your leg, man. Aren't you enjoy watching Calsnots get his panties caught in his snapper?

    He's right about Mud's negativity.

    Mud's right about Cal's delusion.

    Opposite sides of the same coin really.

  • @the-gipper said:

    now, whether or not he is going to be great is not the issue. The issue is, anyone who knows anything realized that Trubisky was the best gamble for big turnout in the 2017 draft. The Browns simply don't bet on big payout players We take players that come with explanations about why this was really the better pick.

    I want the Browns to win. But how do you win without players who can light it up?

    There certainly does appear to be some element of truth to this. Last year when they had the #2 overall...they traded down...and bypassed some very highly rated players who seemed capable of...as you say "lighting it up". Bosa, Elliot, others.

    And this year...to me they bypassed Trubisky who I think can light it up....in favor of a guy who I thought/think is not quite as good as Bosa. Though others here (and nationally) think that Garrett can light it up on the defense. We shall see.

    The thing though is that in the past when we thought the Browns got guys that could light it up on offense, they tanked miserably. Of course we are talking about the likes of Trent Richardson and Johnny Manziel.

    So...even if we get the guys we think can light it up....sometimes....like some firecrackers...they just turn out to be duds.

    I think that is the problem with the fanbase, really. Fans are tired of being fed the 3rd or 4th best options and being told to be excited. The QB is the most vital position on a football team, and THE best way to energize a fanbase. I could care less if Wentz, or Trubisky or Watson or Lynch don't pan out. I just would for once like a front office with the balls to pull the goddamn trigger and grab the best prospect at the most important position. GO for it. If they don't work out you are no worse than these shit shows of 2nd and 3rd round projects.

    The worst part? Most of the other regimes simply weren't in a position to grab anything more than the runner ups runner up while these fucking idiots were gifted numerous top shelf prospects and simply decided to pass to prove how much smarter than the rest of the NFL they are. Yeah... Real brilliance....

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #83

    @vikingdawg said:

    I think that is the problem with the fanbase, really.

    There is NOTHING wrong with the fucking fan base.....Fan bases are there to do one thing: buy the shit the team sells, be it tickets, gear, whatthefuckever. All fan bases are the same. All this fan base needs is for the team management to bring a winner here.

    Fans are tired of being fed the 3rd or 4th best options and being told to be excited. The QB is the most vital position on a football team, and THE best way to energize a fanbase. I could care less if Wentz, or Trubisky or Watson or Lynch don't pan out. I just would for once like a front office with the balls to pull the goddamn trigger and grab the best prospect at the most important position. GO for it. If they don't work out you are no worse than these shit shows of 2nd and 3rd round projects.

    But, then again, who knows WHO is going to be the "best prospect"? The best QB that came out in 2014 was a second rounder. In 2012 it may have been a 3rd rounder (Wilson...vs. Luck...who has actually had the better of it?) In 2000 it was a 6th rounder. It seems that last year it was a 4th rounder (Prescott) In 2002 it was a 4th rounder (David Garrard). In 2001 it was a second rounder (Brees). So, you just don't know. Yes, the Browns will have to get very lucky to have their #52 overall QB become the best of this class....but it is not beyond the realm of possibility.

    The worst part? Most of the other regimes simply weren't in a position to grab anything more than the runner ups runner up while these fucking idiots were gifted numerous top shelf prospects and simply decided to pass to prove how much smarter than the rest of the NFL they are. Yeah... Real brilliance....

    But, yes, no doubt that it seems that they have continually passed up talent that eventually proved better for talent that proved....pure suckass at times.

    And you know....I suspect that some of that will happen this year as well.