Skip to content

Team grades

The Browns Board
25 11 1.2k
  • Week 1 Opponent: vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

    Score: Lost 21-18

    Believe it or not, the Cleveland Browns actually looked like a competent football team.

    Starting in his first NFL game at just 21 years old, Browns rookie quarterback DeShone Kizer made his mistakes, but he also showed some flashes of hope.

    Kizer was sacked seven times, and about five of those were his fault: He simply held the ball for too long. On the other hand, he showed promise in the fourth quarter, leading the Browns down the field on an eight-play, 73-yard touchdown drive.

    Of course he's going to make some mistakes, but it's evident that head coach Hue Jackson made the right decision in going with the rookie signal-caller over Brock Osweiler.

    The running game, on the other hand, was not good. Between some offensive line issues and running backs Isaiah Crowell showing a lack of vision, they couldn't get anything going.

    All the same, Kizer made use of his weapons. He got guys such as tight end Seth Devalve involved, and he used Corey Coleman on a crucial fourth-down conversion. Kenny Britt could have had a better day—he dropped a sure-fire first down on 3rd-and-19.

    On the defensive side, the Browns did their part in slowing down Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell and wide receiver Martavis Bryant. Of course, Antonio Brown finished with, like, a billion yards, but he's not from this planet.

    The Browns did not allow the Steelers to get a first down for the entire first quarter. That is not something a Browns defense would have done last season. Safety Derrick Kindred had a fantastic Sunday afternoon, with a fourth-quarter interception.

    Like the Chicago Bears, the Browns did well. Even in defeat.

    Week 1 Grade: B

    Season Average Grade: B

  • " running back Isaiah Crowell showing a lack of vision, they couldn't get anything going." 

    Still my complaint about the Crow. We need an elite RB if we want things to open up for our QB. Either Guice of LSU or Barkley PSt. From CBS Sports both in the top 10 overall.

    7. Derrius Guice | RB | LSU | Junior

    Guice was more impressive than Leonard Fournette in 2016. It was obvious. Even in 2015, when Fournette was 100 percent healthy, Guice, then a freshman, had his fair share of eye-popping runs when he averaged 8.5 yards per carry on 51 rushes. At 5-foot-11 and 222 pounds, Guice packs plenty of power yet has sudden agility, elite vision, and deceptive breakaway speed to round out his complete game.

    8. Saquon Barkley | RB | Penn State | Junior

    Guice and Barkley will have a tremendous battle to take the crown as the nation's top running back in 2017. Barkley has averaged 5.7 yards per carry on his 454 rushes in his two season at Penn State, and he's scored 25 touchdowns on the ground. He's 5-foot-11 and 223 pounds and runs with a balance, low center of gravity, and the ability to make a cut on a dime. In the open field, he's dangerously elusive with keen vision, and he possesses good long speed. Barkley has "NFL feature back" written all over him.

  • Personally I go "C" due to our major ST error plus we caught Pittsburgh on an "off day"...

    And, no, Ag... I'm not drafting a RB on Day One... wouldn't be prudent...

  • Personally I go "C" due to our major ST error plus we caught Pittsburgh on an "off day"...

    And, no, Ag... I'm not drafting a RB on Day One... wouldn't be prudent...

    @tour2ma said:

    Personally I go "C" due to our major ST error plus we caught Pittsburgh on an "off day"...

    And, no, Ag... I'm not drafting a RB on Day One... wouldn't be prudent...

    I don't know that the Steelers had an "off day". What was off about it?  

    The Browns dominated the line of scrimmage on defense disallowing any significant ground game by them. Nothing off about that...that was just the Browns being better.  

    The Steelers most dominant weapon:  the BR to AB combination  went 11 for 11 for 182 yards. Nothing off about that. (If anything it was the Browns secondary that had the "off day").  

    The Steelers got a special teams gift....nothing off about that....again...unless you are talking about the Browns being the one's being off.  

    As for the Steelers defense...they were not "off".  They are just middle of the road....and that is how they play. Again, nothing "off".

  • Interesting that the Steelers grade was lower than ours. Would seem to say they were "off".

    I wonder how many match ups produced that result? Maybe later I'll look...

  • Interesting that the Steelers grade was lower than ours. Would seem to say they were "off".

    I wonder how many match ups produced that result? Maybe later I'll look...

    @tour2ma said:

    Interesting that the Steelers grade was lower than ours. Would seem to say they were "off".

    I wonder how many match ups produced that result? Maybe later I'll look...

    The Steelers grade may have been lower than the Browns because except for a few positions the Browns are actually the more talented team....ergo their grade should have been lower.

    Late last season with BR and AB playing (or Bell either)....the Browns manhandled the Steelers fairly well. It was only their stupid mistakes that cost them the game.  This week the Steelers had BR, Brown and Bell....and while I think it is fair to say that BR and Brown beat us, it was also one stupid mistake that may have made the difference in the game. 

    So, go look at the grade from that last game last year as well...and then this game.  And see if some kind of trend can be discerned.

  • Your argument... you go look if you want to support it. I've already supported mine.

  • Your argument... you go look if you want to support it. I've already supported mine.

    @tour2ma said:

    Your argument... you go look if you want to support it. I've already supported mine.

    Supported it with what?  Your opinion?  I see no where on this thread that you put any data

  • Interesting that the Steelers grade was lower than ours. Would seem to say they were "off".

    I wonder how many match ups produced that result? Maybe later I'll look...

    @tour2ma said:

    Interesting that the Steelers grade was lower than ours. Would seem to say they were "off".

    I wonder how many match ups produced that result? Maybe later I'll look...

    It may also say they just aren't as good as projected while perhaps we are better. 

  • Leveon who?

  • ......"Like the Chicago Bears, the Browns did well. Even in defeat."......

    This is true however can not go on forever, they can and must steal a few wins as the season goes on. Still dammit 1-0 sure would have been sweet.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Interesting that the Steelers grade was lower than ours. Would seem to say they were "off".

    I wonder how many match ups produced that result? Maybe later I'll look...

    It may also say they just aren't as good as projected while perhaps we are better. 

    @jcam222 said:

    It may also say they just aren't as good as projected while perhaps we are better. 

    That's possible... and at least you were able to follow a discussion...

    @the-gipper said:

    Supported it with what?  Your opinion?  I see no where on this thread that you put any data

    Time to say goodbye to you for a while... again. So back to the Ghoolie-zone with you.

  • @westside-steve said:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2732294-nfl-team-grades-for-week-1

    WSS

    SIGH.......................... Like the Ghoolie said from before draft day.................... Kizer holds the ball too fucking long. That is not something that can be fixed, taught or conditioned out. Reflexes are reflexes. There are no drills that will speed this dullards synapses up. HE IS DIM WITTED with his release.

    That is the only part of the story that matters. Browns defense played well? No Fuck? Did they ah, play well when they had Ben pinned in the dawg pound down only by 3? OOOOPS  OOOOOPS  OOOOOPS  No, they didn't make a play.

    All this circle jerking about "what e did good?" They lost the fucking game, they got 155 yards gifted on penalties, and still could not score. This team blows. Kizer blows. He is going to get fucked up in the NFL. Big Big hits are on their way.

  • Ghoolie you have posted in multiple threads that Kizer is a dim wit worthless fuck because he was sacked 7 times in his first rookie start. FYI Roethlisberger was sacked 7 his rookie season in week 11. http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/gamelogs?season=2004

  • Ghoolie you have posted in multiple threads that Kizer is a dim wit worthless fuck because he was sacked 7 times in his first rookie start. FYI Roethlisberger was sacked 7 his rookie season in week 11. http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/gamelogs?season=2004

    @jcam222 said:

    Ghoolie you have posted in multiple threads that Kizer is a dim wit worthless fuck because he was sacked 7 times in his first rookie start. FYI Roethlisberger was sacked 7 his rookie season in week 11. http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/gamelogs?season=2004

    Don't try and bring up facts with the blowhard attention whore.  He'll just ignore it anyways.   No sense even trying.

  • Personally I go "C" due to our major ST error plus we caught Pittsburgh on an "off day"...

    And, no, Ag... I'm not drafting a RB on Day One... wouldn't be prudent...

    @tour2ma said:

    Personally I go "C" due to our major ST error plus we caught Pittsburgh on an "off day"...

    And, no, Ag... I'm not drafting a RB on Day One... wouldn't be prudent...

    Tell that to Dallas and now Jax. Bet they aren't crying much now that they have someone to take pressure off young QBs. You know me my now. Normally I'm D first. But at this moment we could use a real RB and not one with near zero vision.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Personally I go "C" due to our major ST error plus we caught Pittsburgh on an "off day"...

    And, no, Ag... I'm not drafting a RB on Day One... wouldn't be prudent...

    Tell that to Dallas and now Jax. Bet they aren't crying much now that they have someone to take pressure off young QBs. You know me my now. Normally I'm D first. But at this moment we could use a real RB and not one with near zero vision.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Tell that to Dallas and now Jax. Bet they aren't crying much now that they have someone to take pressure off young QBs. You know me my now. Normally I'm D first. But at this moment we could use a real RB and not one with near zero vision.

    No argument, but it doesn't take a Day One pick to land a "real RB."

  • Ghoolie you have posted in multiple threads that Kizer is a dim wit worthless fuck because he was sacked 7 times in his first rookie start. FYI Roethlisberger was sacked 7 his rookie season in week 11. http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/gamelogs?season=2004

    @jcam222 said:

    Ghoolie you have posted in multiple threads that Kizer is a dim wit worthless fuck because he was sacked 7 times in his first rookie start. FYI Roethlisberger was sacked 7 his rookie season in week 11. http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/gamelogs?season=2004

    Kizer could be the QB under center all season long and help lead us to a Super Bowl win, and Duhoolie would spew his shit in multiple threads that we won in spite of Black Tarkenton.......

    Tubby is like a 14yr old girl posting bikini pics online, he's just looking for attention to mask his insecurity for always being picked last in PE, which forced him to play the harmonica. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Tell that to Dallas and now Jax. Bet they aren't crying much now that they have someone to take pressure off young QBs. You know me my now. Normally I'm D first. But at this moment we could use a real RB and not one with near zero vision.

    No argument, but it doesn't take a Day One pick to land a "real RB."

    @tour2ma said:

    No argument, but it doesn't take a Day One pick to land a "real RB."

    I'd rather have some real franchise OL. 😉