***Official Browns @ Colts Game Day Thread***
-
My issue so far isn't Peppers alignment but two glarring plays he did exactly what stat treads said - missed tackles. Bad. The first one getting stiff armed by Hilton in the process. The second was how he positioned himself going at TY. Sure, receiver may have been running out of bounds but you always stay inside field shoulder and use the boundary as your extra defender.
Re: the run game. My concern is Hue being too obsessed trying to have a balanced offense and not an effective or efficient one. If you're beating their front seven over the head with the run, then by all means, do what the Texans did against Cincy. Lineup in 12 and 22 personnel, use a 6th lineman and pound the rock.
It doesn't have to be pretty, just effective.
edit: To help my point
-
Because that's about how many carries he gives his RB1. McFadden averaged about 16 carries/game in OAK and Hill averaged about 15/game in CIN under Hue, and they are both better RB1's than Crow.
Crow averaged 12.4 attemps/game last year and is averaging 13/game this year, so it's not like there's any change in philosophy. We were down multiple scores early and we had to throw the ball often. That happens from time to time.
The bigger problem is that last year Crow was averaging nearly 5 YPC and this year he's averaging 2.9. He's not a game-changing RB, he has questionable vision and he's having a hard time finding the holes. Sometimes he goes off, but as of right now he is a below average back.
I always thought Crow was pretty marginal for a back.. A little bit better than average , but not elite.. I find him underwhelming, most times
I always thought Crow was pretty marginal for a back.. A little bit better than average , but not elite.. I find him underwhelming, most times
I'm right there with you. He's a groove back with above average physical talent but that's about it IMO. He won't ever take games over, but he'll have a few scattered 100 yard / 2 TD performances in his career.
Duke is the guy that Hue wants to use and for good reason, he's a weapon. But he's not a volume carrier and right now he's a defensive key. Without anyone to take the pressure off him, he'll be bottled up often.
What we need is a volume back with a see the hole, hit the hole mentality that can get us into those "plus" situations - 2nd and 4, 3rd and 1, etc. Those situations allow Hue to open the playbook up a little more and will drastically alter playcalling tendencies, making it harder for opposing DC's to gameplan for us. It would be wonderful to go and get a guy like Barkley and just hand the reigns over to him but I don't see this FO spending an early pick on a RB unless he's the second coming of Jesus.
A guy like Chubb in the second round would be a perfect complement to Duke IMO - he's a thick back with great vision and patience. His chunk run percentage is probably lower than most and his top end speed will never be elite, but he's great for 5 and 6 yard gains and, best of all, he breaks tackles. To top it off, the guy is apparently a great teammate and a weight room monster.
-
I like Chubb as a runner but no thanks. He already has two, I believe? - significant knee injuries. That's simply not a risk you can take right now.
-
I like Chubb as a runner but no thanks. He already has two, I believe? - significant knee injuries. That's simply not a risk you can take right now.
-
I like Chubb as a runner but no thanks. He already has two, I believe? - significant knee injuries. That's simply not a risk you can take right now.
-
-
-
LOL but, Kizer is the future. No need to draft a QB according to Hue. We're set!
He looks the real deal in actual games. I saw the video of him cleaning 405lbs. Not that it's a weightlifting contest, but damn he's a monster. If you're getting compared to Zeke, that's a sign you're gonna be pretty awesome.
-
BTW, the Ravens are getting throttled by Jax 23-0. Bad news for us. Now i'm starting to believe that we'll probably be 0-3 after all. At least the Colts were competitive with the Cards last week.
-
We need to go back to 3-4 yds and a cloud of dust, than let kizer take deep shots off play action. Just get a big nasty fullback and oyt a big nasty rb behind him a d punish defensive fronts. Keep our defense off the field so that when they do cone in they're flying.
To revisit that dead horse......vickers/hillis. Rebuild that
-
I'm not a huge fan of Chubb. Ghoolie's probably in though.
Seriously though, Chubb's pretty overrated.
-
You want Williams to play all 11 guys with 3 yards of the LOS? Do you want me to explain why that is a bad idea?
I'm sorry you were hoping the DB we drafted was going to play HB...
He wasn't a very good DB at Michigan at best I thought he would be a safety but doesn't seem to be happening.
I can't remember if you defended Justine Gilbert this strongly

He wasn't a very good DB at Michigan at best I thought he would be a safety but doesn't seem to be happening.
I can't remember if you defended Justine Gilbert this strongly

I didn't. But you can pretend whatever helps you feel more "right".
He didn't play DB at Michigan. He also was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and won numerous other awards.
This is where I get called a Homer and biased for using facts to show how those that are actual homers and biased are incorrect
-
It's a gorgeous day in SoCal.......... time to do something fun and head out for a bike ride.
I should have done the same...
Oh joy, now all of the totally not biased OSU fans that were waiting for a bad rookie game can be the keyboard warriors they always knew they could. Smh
Gonna be the worst case of bandwagoning on here. Peppers plays well "I liked that pick". Peppers has the obvious rookie, new position growing pains "Fuck Michigan! We could have had Hooker! I'm definitely not being biased!"
Gonna be a long week of OSU fans circle jerking around here. I guess that's par for the course though. I mean, Hooker got a desperation pick at the end. That basically seals it 3 games into their careers.
I won't bang on Peppers- he's doing what he's coached to do... There were other guys in the Brows secondary that played far worse...
I would be happy if he just returned A PUNT.
A lot of those punts were moon shots that had no reasonable chance of a return. I counted ONE that Peppers could have not fair caught.
I should have done the same...
I won't bang on Peppers- he's doing what he's coached to do... There were other guys in the Brows secondary that played far worse...
A lot of those punts were moon shots that had no reasonable chance of a return. I counted ONE that Peppers could have fair caught
Woah, hold on. Are you sure? You positive you don't want to declare Peppers a busy already? Blame him for losing the game and say he should have e returned every punt for a TD?
I think you're doing it wrong.
-
It's a gorgeous day in SoCal.......... time to do something fun and head out for a bike ride.
I should have done the same...
Oh joy, now all of the totally not biased OSU fans that were waiting for a bad rookie game can be the keyboard warriors they always knew they could. Smh
Gonna be the worst case of bandwagoning on here. Peppers plays well "I liked that pick". Peppers has the obvious rookie, new position growing pains "Fuck Michigan! We could have had Hooker! I'm definitely not being biased!"
Gonna be a long week of OSU fans circle jerking around here. I guess that's par for the course though. I mean, Hooker got a desperation pick at the end. That basically seals it 3 games into their careers.
I won't bang on Peppers- he's doing what he's coached to do... There were other guys in the Brows secondary that played far worse...
I would be happy if he just returned A PUNT.
A lot of those punts were moon shots that had no reasonable chance of a return. I counted ONE that Peppers could have not fair caught.
A lot of those punts were moon shots that had no reasonable chance of a return. I counted ONE that Peppers could have not fair caught.
Well, after returning 3 punts against the Stoolers (with a respectable 11yard avg) he returned zero against the Rats and zero against the Dolts.
Whats the over/under against the Bungholes?
-
A lot of those punts were moon shots that had no reasonable chance of a return. I counted ONE that Peppers could have not fair caught.
Well, after returning 3 punts against the Stoolers (with a respectable 11yard avg) he returned zero against the Rats and zero against the Dolts.
Whats the over/under against the Bungholes?
Well, after returning 3 punts against the Stoolers (with a respectable 11yard avg) he returned zero against the Rats and zero against the Dolts.
Whats the over/under against the Bungholes?
I'm with Larry on this one. I wasn't at the game of course like he was but it seemed like nearly every punt was right against the sidelines or even out of bounds. Looked like Peppers did an admirable job of flopping when he was hit on the sidelines after one of them. He made it look like he got destroyed but was barely hit. Almost worked too...
-
Well, after returning 3 punts against the Stoolers (with a respectable 11yard avg) he returned zero against the Rats and zero against the Dolts.
Whats the over/under against the Bungholes?
I'm with Larry on this one. I wasn't at the game of course like he was but it seemed like nearly every punt was right against the sidelines or even out of bounds. Looked like Peppers did an admirable job of flopping when he was hit on the sidelines after one of them. He made it look like he got destroyed but was barely hit. Almost worked too...
I'm with Larry on this one. I wasn't at the game of course like he was but it seemed like nearly every punt was right against the sidelines or even out of bounds. Looked like Peppers did an admirable job of flopping when he was hit on the sidelines after one of them. He made it look like he got destroyed but was barely hit. Almost worked too...
IIRC, he had one he should’ve returned against Indy, and at least two against the Rats.
He could be a great ST weapon, but with all the fair catches...we’ll never know.
-
-
He wasn't a very good DB at Michigan at best I thought he would be a safety but doesn't seem to be happening.
I can't remember if you defended Justine Gilbert this strongly

I didn't. But you can pretend whatever helps you feel more "right".
He didn't play DB at Michigan. He also was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and won numerous other awards.
This is where I get called a Homer and biased for using facts to show how those that are actual homers and biased are incorrect
I didn't. But you can pretend whatever helps you feel more "right".
He didn't play DB at Michigan. He also was Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and won numerous other awards.
This is where I get called a Homer and biased for using facts to show how those that are actual homers and biased are incorrect
Who cares what he did in college. He was playing like a guy on roller skates, and then flopping like a fish out of water in that first half. But then things got corrected in the second half. Maybe you have some insight on that. I suspect that Williams made some adjustments that worked well. The other thing on him is that he....and we were itching to see him break a big gain on a punt return....instead, when we needed it most, he cacked up a furball and called for a fair catch on a very returnable punt. I know he was kicking himself for doing it because you could see him doing that....and maybe it is still rookie jitters. But hell fire.....I was looking for a Metcalf moment there.
-
Oh joy, now all of the totally not biased OSU fans that were waiting for a bad rookie game can be the keyboard warriors they always knew they could. Smh
Gonna be the worst case of bandwagoning on here. Peppers plays well "I liked that pick". Peppers has the obvious rookie, new position growing pains "Fuck Michigan! We could have had Hooker! I'm definitely not being biased!"
Gonna be a long week of OSU fans circle jerking around here. I guess that's par for the course though. I mean, Hooker got a desperation pick at the end. That basically seals it 3 games into their careers.
Oh joy, now all of the totally not biased OSU fans that were waiting for a bad rookie game can be the keyboard warriors they always knew they could. Smh
Gonna be the worst case of bandwagoning on here. Peppers plays well "I liked that pick". Peppers has the obvious rookie, new position growing pains "Fuck Michigan! We could have had Hooker! I'm definitely not being biased!"
Gonna be a long week of OSU fans circle jerking around here. I guess that's par for the course though. I mean, Hooker got a desperation pick at the end. That basically seals it 3 games into their careers.
Here's the funny part Woody.....you made the post above before ANYONE even said a word......anyone......as if you're begging for someone to pick on your boy and, basically, chiding people for being OSU homers, BEFORE anyone said a word......(of course, I know you got bent outta shape cause the announcers were ripping your boy).....
This is where I get called a Homer and biased for using facts to show how those that are actual homers and biased are incorrect
Then....you post this, saying folks "will be" calling you a homer(again, before it;s even happened)......when YOU are clearly the only one talking about Peppers poor play and what folks are "gonna do"....
Woah, hold on. Are you sure? You positive you don't want to declare Peppers a busy already? Blame him for losing the game and say he should have e returned every punt for a TD?
I think you're doing it wrong.
And then here....again....you are chiding people on, cause they are not being the homers you(are) and wish they were...
Please!!! Get over the whole college kid thing and grow the hell up....NO ONE CARES WHERE HE PLAYED......he's a BROWN now.....we just want the dude to play well.....and, when he doesnt, it's not because of where he played, it's because he didnt play well...
Holy crap....bad enough to hear all your homer whiny college kiddy bitch stuff....even worse when youre bitchin about it before it even happens.....
-
I'm not a huge fan of Chubb. Ghoolie's probably in though.
Seriously though, Chubb's pretty overrated.
I'm not a huge fan of Chubb. Ghoolie's probably in though.
Seriously though, Chubb's pretty overrated.
Why is he overrated?
EDIT: He’s the 41st ranked player on CBS’ Big Board and the 5th ranked RB. He’s not ranked very high and is averaging 6.8 YPC for his career, has two 1100+ yard seasons and IMO has some of the best vision of any draft eligible RB this year.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login


