Skip to content

So if Jackson is gone...

The Browns Board
95 27 4.8k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Meanwhile back at the OP...

    Love a string of rhetorical questions... also love answering them.

    I don't think two coaches removed from Chud that commitment is a serious issue. Commitment in the form of a fully guaranteed contract is commitment enough for most candidates... even Browns candidates.

    Mishandling "stuff"... Also a non-factor IMO. First, there's a significant lack of evidence. Second, any HC knows there's a business side to every franchise.

    "Lack of input", a/k/a "control"... every HC wants it. Most HC's don't get it. Most that do get it, eff it up.

    I said a couple days ago that so long as he holds, as in does not lose, the locker room, then Hue should be safe. To do so even while going 2-30 over two seasons would be a monumental feat... not accomplishment... feat. It would be testimony that the players believe in what I have been seeing/preaching/clinging to... that there is progress, if not success, but that success is coming.

    Yes, it’s two coaches removed from Chud... in 4 years. And one of those regimes preached “long rebuild”...so I can still see how it would be offputting.

    Once again, I point to the Haslam quote from this offseason - 2018 is the year they’ve had earmarked for us to see a swing. Not 2017. They’ve set their sights on 2018, and there must be a reason for that. My guess is that starts with the letter Q. I believe they have their eye on a QB that they think can operate Hue’s offense. Someone with the vision to see the field, the timing to know when to pull the trigger, and the arm to make sure it gets there when it should. They acquired the capital to make sure they’d be able to get him, whoever it is.

    I like Kizer and I’ll stand behind him until I’m positive he doesn’t have it...but I was wrong about him being our preferred guy. It doesn’t add up. He’s a project that might pay off, might not...and there weren’t very many guys picked between him and Ogunjobi that would have noticeably improved us. I count two. 

    TL;DR- Hue stays and gets a QB

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Yes, it’s two coaches removed from Chud... in 4 years. And one of those regimes preached “long rebuild”...so I can still see how it would be offputting.

    Once again, I point to the Haslam quote from this offseason - 2018 is the year they’ve had earmarked for us to see a swing. Not 2017. They’ve set their sights on 2018, and there must be a reason for that. My guess is that starts with the letter Q. I believe they have their eye on a QB that they think can operate Hue’s offense. Someone with the vision to see the field, the timing to know when to pull the trigger, and the arm to make sure it gets there when it should. They acquired the capital to make sure they’d be able to get him, whoever it is.

    I like Kizer and I’ll stand behind him until I’m positive he doesn’t have it...but I was wrong about him being our preferred guy. It doesn’t add up. He’s a project that might pay off, might not...and there weren’t very many guys picked between him and Ogunjobi that would have noticeably improved us. I count two. 

    TL;DR- Hue stays and gets a QB

    Kizer was a dart in the wall, throw it and hope it hits the Bulls eye. I still remember someone in the organization saying they would draft for depth the first two drafts then go after their Franchise QB in the third draft. I believe all is going as planned.

  • @dawg2fan said:

    How do you know how much he's going off on these players, we can only assume.  The receivers we have can't catch the ball, period!!!  Our rookie QB is just that, a rookie.  The other rookies in the league are on much better TEAMS (Watson & Chicago).  And I spell teams out because I really want you to think that when relating it to us.  We have more rookies on our team and it will take time to get it to full capacity.

    because, having a spine would signal that after Britt made that drop that turned into the interception, he would be benched. Next week, he would be benched, but instead he played. Getting benched publicly would make Britt realize he's sucking, yet instead, he played and then was "injured" (poor kenny) the next week. Kenny's effort is lacking.... he has talent but he needs to learn he can't f#$% up. I understand the Hue is a whole "nice guy" schtick, but when somebody messes up, they need to be taught not to make the same mistakes again.

    when i was a kid and messed up, if my dad hit me with a belt, i damn near didn't do what i did again. Hue needed to give Kenny the verbal belt in that situation.

    @stillmotion said:

    because, having a spine would signal that after Britt made that drop that turned into the interception, he would be benched. Next week, he would be benched, but instead he played. Getting benched publicly would make Britt realize he's sucking, yet instead, he played and then was "injured" (poor kenny) the next week. Kenny's effort is lacking.... he has talent but he needs to learn he can't f#$% up. I understand the Hue is a whole "nice guy" schtick, but when somebody messes up, they need to be taught not to make the same mistakes again.

    when i was a kid and messed up, if my dad hit me with a belt, i damn near didn't do what i did again. Hue needed to give Kenny the verbal belt in that situation.

    Let's say they benched Britt, then put in who?  sure we picked up a couple players from another teams practice squad, and of course they turned out to be better than our starters, go figure.  No one knew how Britt was going to be before the season started.  Sure we knew he had some drops, but not as much as he is showing.  This goes to show how much we need WRs and good ones.  

  • @stillmotion said:

    because, having a spine would signal that after Britt made that drop that turned into the interception, he would be benched. Next week, he would be benched, but instead he played. Getting benched publicly would make Britt realize he's sucking, yet instead, he played and then was "injured" (poor kenny) the next week. Kenny's effort is lacking.... he has talent but he needs to learn he can't f#$% up. I understand the Hue is a whole "nice guy" schtick, but when somebody messes up, they need to be taught not to make the same mistakes again.

    when i was a kid and messed up, if my dad hit me with a belt, i damn near didn't do what i did again. Hue needed to give Kenny the verbal belt in that situation.

    Let's say they benched Britt, then put in who?  sure we picked up a couple players from another teams practice squad, and of course they turned out to be better than our starters, go figure.  No one knew how Britt was going to be before the season started.  Sure we knew he had some drops, but not as much as he is showing.  This goes to show how much we need WRs and good ones.  

    @dawg2fan said:

    Let's say they benched Britt, then put in who?  sure we picked up a couple players from another teams practice squad, and of course they turned out to be better than our starters, go figure.  No one knew how Britt was going to be before the season started.  Sure we knew he had some drops, but not as much as he is showing.  This goes to show how much we need WRs and good ones.  

    And I heard him blame the Offenses woes on the "QB Controversy" how about blaming your Shmucking drops you piece of Sheet.

  • @dawg2fan said:

    Let's say they benched Britt, then put in who?  sure we picked up a couple players from another teams practice squad, and of course they turned out to be better than our starters, go figure.  No one knew how Britt was going to be before the season started.  Sure we knew he had some drops, but not as much as he is showing.  This goes to show how much we need WRs and good ones.  

    And I heard him blame the Offenses woes on the "QB Controversy" how about blaming your Shmucking drops you piece of Sheet.

    @topdawg31 said:

    And I heard him blame the Offenses woes on the "QB Controversy" how about blaming your Shmucking drops you piece of Sheet.

    You never know who you're getting in FA, especially after they've had injuries or dropped passes.

  • If the head coach position of the Cleveland Browns were to open up, there would be plenty of coaches banging down their doors to take it, as it's 1 of only 32 jobs on the planet like it.  

    All great coaches weren't great coaches until they became great coaches.....

  • “Yeah we need to stick with a guy. But I hate Hue and he sucks. So, you know, do whatever you want Jimmy. But yeah, um, I hope he stays. I guess.”

    -Most of the fanbase

    Solid convictions, guys. 

  • If the head coach position of the Cleveland Browns were to open up, there would be plenty of coaches banging down their doors to take it, as it's 1 of only 32 jobs on the planet like it.  

    All great coaches weren't great coaches until they became great coaches.....

    @d-bone said:

    If the head coach position of the Cleveland Browns were to open up, there would be plenty of coaches banging down their doors to take it, as it's 1 of only 32 jobs on the planet like it.  

    This point really means nothing. 

  • “Yeah we need to stick with a guy. But I hate Hue and he sucks. So, you know, do whatever you want Jimmy. But yeah, um, I hope he stays. I guess.”

    -Most of the fanbase

    Solid convictions, guys. 

    @wargograw said:

    “Yeah we need to stick with a guy. But I hate Hue and he sucks. So, you know, do whatever you want Jimmy. But yeah, um, I hope he stays. I guess.”

    -Most of the fanbase

    Solid convictions, guys. 

    Well, you "play to win", so next year, if Hue goes 1-15, he doesn't deserve a 4th year. If we start progressing this year, and have some fire next year, we should keep him.

  • I don't like Hue's clock management.  I don't like his QB management.  I don't like his play calling down near the goal line. But the team that the Harvard Think Tank has disassembled for him would make Don Shula look bad.  -  Sorry, not even close to answering the original question. 

  • @ghoolie said:

    I never liked Hue. Whether he is fired this week or in 10 weeks doesn't make much difference. There are several reasons why he will never be a successful NFL head coach, and why he will not be the Browns coach when we return to glory.

    1) He does not believe in discipline. His team remains one of the most penalized, especially in crucial, potentially game-changing situations. After 1 pre-season half time the jury was out on this.  One training camp is all it takes to dramatically change a team's discipline.

    2) He is not a good game manager. He is horrible with the clock and his team is always disorganized and unprepared when things heat up.

    3) He is not a man firm in his convictions, especially at quarterback where he is supposedly brilliant. His QB carousel has kept the Browns from developing any kind of momentum or identity. I would ask anyone to tell me what are this guy's core values? Is there anything that he absolutely can't tolerate? I sure have never heard him say it.

    4) He is not respected. Say whatever you will, but the fact that people talk about who respected he is, is a sure sign that players think he is a dildo.

    If the Browns lose it will suck. However, if taking another painful loss gets us free of Hue Jackson, then I honestly believe it would be a good thing in the long run. Sorry, but I hate this sonofabitch, I really do.

    As much as I hate to say it,  but most of what is said here I believe to be true.  The only part that may be questionable is saying that Hue is not respected.

    Hue DOES have to turn things around to keep the above from being fully completely accurate.

    @the-gipper said:

    As much as I hate to say it,  but most of what is said here I believe to be true.  The only part that may be questionable is saying that Hue is not respected.

    Hue DOES have to turn things around to keep the above from being fully completely accurate.

    Let me clarify what I mean by respect. Hue is a gentleman and no doubt a hard worker. He has made a career in a field that few can survive in. He even has my respect in that regard. I am referring more to the many players who are dropping footballs, missing tackles, making penalties, etc. I believe that is a sign of disrespect. I just don't think that the majority of players revere this guy.

  • @d-bone said:

    If the head coach position of the Cleveland Browns were to open up, there would be plenty of coaches banging down their doors to take it, as it's 1 of only 32 jobs on the planet like it.  

    This point really means nothing. 

    @wargograw said:

    This point really means nothing. 

    It meant enough for you to take time and quote me... or am I just your new Johnny like man crush? 

    God I hope not. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    As much as I hate to say it,  but most of what is said here I believe to be true.  The only part that may be questionable is saying that Hue is not respected.

    Hue DOES have to turn things around to keep the above from being fully completely accurate.

    Let me clarify what I mean by respect. Hue is a gentleman and no doubt a hard worker. He has made a career in a field that few can survive in. He even has my respect in that regard. I am referring more to the many players who are dropping footballs, missing tackles, making penalties, etc. I believe that is a sign of disrespect. I just don't think that the majority of players revere this guy.

    @ghoolie said:

    I am referring more to the many players who are dropping footballs

    ....basically just quoting the fact.

    Ya know why players drop passes?    Cos they're not conseratin' (gumby knows what I mean). 🙂

    They're afraid of getting hit and gettin' a boo-boo (this was Braylon Edwards' problem).

    They're trying to RUN with the ball before they even catch it.  (happens a lot on curl routes...or anytime they wait for the ball)

    Other than concentration there's body catchers that have balls bounce off of their pads (or facemask in Greg Little's case).

    ---------

    sorry, now back to Let's Fire Hue and hire You Know Who.

  • Its just not fair asking coaches to come in here and wirk with perennially the wirst rosters in all of football....abd only be goven 2 years max to turn it around. Im sorry but hue has to stay for 5 years if for no other reason then to show the nfl and potential future coaches clevland isnt a joke box anymore

  • Its just not fair asking coaches to come in here and wirk with perennially the wirst rosters in all of football....abd only be goven 2 years max to turn it around. Im sorry but hue has to stay for 5 years if for no other reason then to show the nfl and potential future coaches clevland isnt a joke box anymore

    @clevfan4life said:

    Its just not fair asking coaches to come in here and wirk with perennially the wirst rosters in all of football....abd only be goven 2 years max to turn it around. Im sorry but hue has to stay for 5 years if for no other reason then to show the nfl and potential future coaches clevland isnt a joke box anymore

    Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Its just not fair asking coaches to come in here and wirk with perennially the wirst rosters in all of football....abd only be goven 2 years max to turn it around. Im sorry but hue has to stay for 5 years if for no other reason then to show the nfl and potential future coaches clevland isnt a joke box anymore

    Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

    @hoorta said:

    Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

    Its the browns. Thats teally all that needs to be said

  • @d-bone said:

    If the head coach position of the Cleveland Browns were to open up, there would be plenty of coaches banging down their doors to take it, as it's 1 of only 32 jobs on the planet like it.  

    This point really means nothing. 

    @wargograw said:

    This point really means nothing. 

    Millions of $ is nothing?  Go back to Mungo

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Its just not fair asking coaches to come in here and wirk with perennially the wirst rosters in all of football....abd only be goven 2 years max to turn it around. Im sorry but hue has to stay for 5 years if for no other reason then to show the nfl and potential future coaches clevland isnt a joke box anymore

    Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

    @hoorta said:

    Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

    I don't think anyone is guaranteeing five years. I don't think two is enough when rebuilding a team. Again most of these players will begin to mature at around the same time.

    WSS

  • Meanwhile back at the OP...

    @westside-steve said:

    Let's say the Cleveland Browns decide to can Hue Jackson. As I recall the last couple of times people here were yip yip tipping that no coach of worth would ever want to come to Cleveland.

    Then the Cleveland Browns landed the consensus most sought-after coach in the league.

    So if he gets the boot what do you suppose the reason would be that other coaches wouldn't want to come here? The lack of commitment beyond two years? The mishandling of player acquisition and dismissal? Lack of input?

    Love a string of rhetorical questions... also love answering them.

    I don't think two coaches removed from Chud that commitment is a serious issue. Commitment in the form of a fully guaranteed contract is commitment enough for most candidates... even Browns candidates.

    Mishandling "stuff"... Also a non-factor IMO. First, there's a significant lack of evidence. Second, any HC knows there's a business side to every franchise.

    "Lack of input", a/k/a "control"... every HC wants it. Most HC's don't get it. Most that do get it, eff it up.

    I said a couple days ago that so long as he holds, as in does not lose, the locker room, then Hue should be safe. To do so even while going 2-30 over two seasons would be a monumental feat... not accomplishment... feat. It would be testimony that the players believe in what I have been seeing/preaching/clinging to... that there is progress, if not success, but that success is coming.

    @tour2ma said:

    Meanwhile back at the OP...

    Love a string of rhetorical questions... also love answering them.

    I don't think two coaches removed from Chud that commitment is a serious issue. Commitment in the form of a fully guaranteed contract is commitment enough for most candidates... even Browns candidates.

     of course if you are a sought-after coach and your choices are among three or four teams and all but one you could trust to give you enough time to implement your program?

    Mishandling "stuff"... Also a non-factor IMO. First, there's a significant lack of evidence. Second, any HC knows there's a business side to every franchise.

     sure they do. Of course if I was a coach oh, and I had other options, I might shy away from the team who is going to spend the league minimum. Wouldn't you?

    "Lack of input", a/k/a "control"... every HC wants it. Most HC's don't get it. Most that do get it, eff it up.

     lack of input? Do you think being forced to play Johnny Manziel put the nail in Mike Pettine's coffin? You think we'd be better or worse if they haven't jettisoned as many average Veterans as they did? I understand the plan but it's like being a contestant on Hell's Kitchen and you're given five bags of seeds and it's expected of you to make a loaf of bread in 2 hours. Hello smelly old helmet how's my little darling today

    I said a couple days ago that so long as he holds, as in does not lose, the locker room, then Hue should be safe. To do so even while going 2-30 over two seasons would be a monumental feat... not accomplishment... feat. It would be testimony that the players believe in what I have been seeing/preaching/clinging to... that there is progress, if not success, but that success is coming.

     it might. Don't know exactly what the evidence would be going 2 + 30.

    WSS

  • @hoorta said:

    Outside of Da Bungles, no coach in the history of the NFL is going to get 5 years to turn things around..... 

    I don't think anyone is guaranteeing five years. I don't think two is enough when rebuilding a team. Again most of these players will begin to mature at around the same time.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I don't think anyone is guaranteeing five years. I don't think two is enough when rebuilding a team. Again most of these players will begin to mature at around the same time.

    WSS

    Which is exactly the Cleveland Browns is the biggest joke on the market.  Known for letting a coach go after 1 or 2 years.  Keep Hue a minimum of 3 years, if only to show we will put up with a coach whether he is doing well or not.  This team (not FO or head Coaches) cannot afford to let another coach go so soon.  I'll live with Hue not getting it done for another 2 years.  But, at least, lets see what the FO does with our picks next year.  At least give Hue that much and let him have some input.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I don't think anyone is guaranteeing five years. I don't think two is enough when rebuilding a team. Again most of these players will begin to mature at around the same time.

    WSS

    Which is exactly the Cleveland Browns is the biggest joke on the market.  Known for letting a coach go after 1 or 2 years.  Keep Hue a minimum of 3 years, if only to show we will put up with a coach whether he is doing well or not.  This team (not FO or head Coaches) cannot afford to let another coach go so soon.  I'll live with Hue not getting it done for another 2 years.  But, at least, lets see what the FO does with our picks next year.  At least give Hue that much and let him have some input.

    @dawg2fan said:

    Which is exactly the Cleveland Browns is the biggest joke on the market.  Known for letting a coach go after 1 or 2 years.  Keep Hue a minimum of 3 years, if only to show we will put up with a coach whether he is doing well or not.  This team (not FO or head Coaches) cannot afford to let another coach go so soon.  I'll live with Hue not getting it done for another 2 years.  But, at least, lets see what the FO does with our picks next year.  At least give Hue that much and let him have some input.

    Exactly my position even though I have a tendency to seem negative here on the board. I'm just not one of the sunshine boys. ( I have a sneaking suspicion the Harvard boys pulled the wool over the eyes of Jimmy and his dumbass wife).

    But if you fold you never know what your opponent has in his hand.

    And how much worse could it be?

    WSS