Skip to content

What a 6th Grader Thinks About The Browns

The Browns Board
104 19 2.6k 1
  • Found this little wine when touring Napa one year. You don't even have to buy the upper end one since it won a double gold one year in the San F. Wine contest.

    Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. Very, very good with a fine filet or t-bone. You can read some of the reviews in the link. They are spot on.

    http://www.totalwine.com/red-wine/cabernet-sauvignon/honig-cabernet-napa/p/93908750-1?glia=true&s=510&pid=cpc:Shopping+US+TEXA+ENG+SPART:::google:&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuvYX6P5FgGVQp4xlfEjLf5-qGhnDBmeidHBxPrMuHnK1956k6wBF0aAkw-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @texasag1969 said:

    Found this little wine when touring Napa one year. You don't even have to buy the upper end one since it won a double gold one year in the San F. Wine contest.

    Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. Very, very good with a fine filet or t-bone. You can read some of the reviews in the link. They are spot on.

    http://www.totalwine.com/red-wine/cabernet-sauvignon/honig-cabernet-napa/p/93908750-1?glia=true&s=510&pid=cpc:Shopping+US+TEXA+ENG+SPART:::google:&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuvYX6P5FgGVQp4xlfEjLf5-qGhnDBmeidHBxPrMuHnK1956k6wBF0aAkw-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

    I will be spending a week next spring in Napa.   Have to revisit this stuff once we get closer to that time.

  • What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board? 😆

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @dutch-oven said:

    What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board? 😆

    Check out the Barber Shop.   I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions.  If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country.  In no particular order:

    Napa/Sonoma of course.

    Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)

    Washington Columbia Valley

    Oregon Willamette Valley

    The Finger Lakes,  New York

    Ohio, along Lake Erie

    Central Virginia

    Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)

    Shawnee Hills, Illinois

    Texas Hill Country

    Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it.  But I think this is fairly accurate. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board? 😆

    Check out the Barber Shop.   I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions.  If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country.  In no particular order:

    Napa/Sonoma of course.

    Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)

    Washington Columbia Valley

    Oregon Willamette Valley

    The Finger Lakes,  New York

    Ohio, along Lake Erie

    Central Virginia

    Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)

    Shawnee Hills, Illinois

    Texas Hill Country

    Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it.  But I think this is fairly accurate. 

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @the-gipper said:

    Check out the Barber Shop.   I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions.  If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country.  In no particular order:

    Napa/Sonoma of course.

    Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)

    Washington Columbia Valley

    Oregon Willamette Valley

    The Finger Lakes,  New York

    Ohio, along Lake Erie

    Central Virginia

    Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)

    Shawnee Hills, Illinois

    Texas Hill Country

    Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it.  But I think this is fairly accurate. 

    If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Check out the Barber Shop.   I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions.  If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country.  In no particular order:

    Napa/Sonoma of course.

    Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)

    Washington Columbia Valley

    Oregon Willamette Valley

    The Finger Lakes,  New York

    Ohio, along Lake Erie

    Central Virginia

    Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)

    Shawnee Hills, Illinois

    Texas Hill Country

    Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it.  But I think this is fairly accurate. 

    If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL. 

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @hoorta said:

    If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL. 

    Well....I mean.....yes there is a  difference between quality and quantity.  I assume for an area to be listed in the "Top Ten Wine producing areas"  that there would have to be a bit of both.   What is your view on the "quality" issue amongst wine growing regions?

  • @hoorta said:

    If you're talking production, probably accurate. I've said for a long time Washington has the potential to surpass Napa. They grow great fruit there, Ranier cherries and apples. And grapes LOL. 

    Well....I mean.....yes there is a  difference between quality and quantity.  I assume for an area to be listed in the "Top Ten Wine producing areas"  that there would have to be a bit of both.   What is your view on the "quality" issue amongst wine growing regions?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....I mean.....yes there is a  difference between quality and quantity.  I assume for an area to be listed in the "Top Ten Wine producing areas"  that there would have to be a bit of both.   What is your view on the "quality" issue amongst wine growing regions?

    Probably in the order you listed, Might move Texas up a couple of spots. The bottom 4 have little availability in Ohio. I'd suppose the same would be true of Ohio wines outside of Ohio. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Found this little wine when touring Napa one year. You don't even have to buy the upper end one since it won a double gold one year in the San F. Wine contest.

    Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. Very, very good with a fine filet or t-bone. You can read some of the reviews in the link. They are spot on.

    http://www.totalwine.com/red-wine/cabernet-sauvignon/honig-cabernet-napa/p/93908750-1?glia=true&s=510&pid=cpc:Shopping+US+TEXA+ENG+SPART:::google:&gclid=Cj0KCQiAi7XQBRDnARIsANeLIeuvYX6P5FgGVQp4xlfEjLf5-qGhnDBmeidHBxPrMuHnK1956k6wBF0aAkw-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

    I will be spending a week next spring in Napa.   Have to revisit this stuff once we get closer to that time.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #69

    @the-gipper said:

    I will be spending a week next spring in Napa.   Have to revisit this stuff once we get closer to that time.

    Download the last SF Competition and select a few to visit while there. Here are the Cab double golds, but you can go to any varietal and play with the website.

    http://sfwinecomp.com/results/browse

    EDIT: Go to "class" and it scrolls to reds, whites, etc, and under each are the varietals where you find the Cabs (or any other)..

    EDIT #2: Now some did not even enter this year like Honig and Vine Cliff - both of which are in NAPA and both worth a visit for a taste.

    A hidden jewel in Amador county E of Folsom is Deaver Vineyards who have excellent Zins, Ports and a really good Petite Sirah-bought a case there a few years back and have 3 left.

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #70

    Big Ben Rapistberger now using “Dilly Dilly” in his cadence. . .

    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/for-petes-sake/article185173258.html

  • @dutch-oven said:

    What were the chances that the two guys in Texas who drink wine ended up on the same message board? 😆

    Check out the Barber Shop.   I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions.  If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country.  In no particular order:

    Napa/Sonoma of course.

    Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)

    Washington Columbia Valley

    Oregon Willamette Valley

    The Finger Lakes,  New York

    Ohio, along Lake Erie

    Central Virginia

    Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)

    Shawnee Hills, Illinois

    Texas Hill Country

    Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it.  But I think this is fairly accurate. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #71

    @the-gipper said:

    Check out the Barber Shop.   I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions.  If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country.  In no particular order:

    Napa/Sonoma of course.

    Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)

    Washington Columbia Valley

    Oregon Willamette Valley

    The Finger Lakes,  New York

    Ohio, along Lake Erie

    Central Virginia

    Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)

    Shawnee Hills, Illinois

    Texas Hill Country

    Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it.  But I think this is fairly accurate. 

    Michigan also should be up there.. Mich and Ohio are famous for concord grapes.. I grew up in a house that was a grape storage house over 100 years ago in Euclid.. we still had concord grape vines growing over the fence.. But I never risked eating them because Linderme Tube Factory plant was behind our house and street... And they kept dumping oil and chemicals in the woods behind the fence... Linderme Tube is now a defunct plant..

  • @the-gipper said:

    Check out the Barber Shop.   I think I put a thread in there about wine growing regions.  If not....I will just tell you that the Texas Hill Country may be considered one of the Top Ten Wine producing regions in the country.  In no particular order:

    Napa/Sonoma of course.

    Central coast of CA  (down toward  Santa Barbara)

    Washington Columbia Valley

    Oregon Willamette Valley

    The Finger Lakes,  New York

    Ohio, along Lake Erie

    Central Virginia

    Missouri Rhineland (Central Mizz)

    Shawnee Hills, Illinois

    Texas Hill Country

    Perhaps Hoorta can verify this.....or maybe he can disavow it.  But I think this is fairly accurate. 

    Michigan also should be up there.. Mich and Ohio are famous for concord grapes.. I grew up in a house that was a grape storage house over 100 years ago in Euclid.. we still had concord grape vines growing over the fence.. But I never risked eating them because Linderme Tube Factory plant was behind our house and street... And they kept dumping oil and chemicals in the woods behind the fence... Linderme Tube is now a defunct plant..

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @nickers said:

    Michigan also should be up there.. Mich and Ohio are famous for concord grapes.. I grew up in a house that was a grape storage house over 100 years ago in Euclid.. we still had concord grape vines growing over the fence.. But I never risked eating them because Linderme Tube Factory plant was behind our house and street... And they kept dumping oil and chemicals in the woods behind the fence... Linderme Tube is now a defunct plant..

    Actually, I believe Michigan is more well known for their Cherry Wines from up around the Traverse City region.  Again....defer to our expert: Hoorta.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #73

    Perfect wine that fits the Browns' fan's budget trying to cope with every week's disaster.

    It's a fine little wine with subtle hints of blackberry pie, raspberry liquor and the deep fruity flavor of the finest Merlot from price competitor.....................................Mogen David. 

    Yep, I'm talking a less than $6 a bottle of Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot. Even  your sweet tooth spouse can join you in the Pit of Misery. And the price is so low you can treat yourself to a  consolation steak grilled on the Barbie or, if she's gone for the weekend, just consolation from Barbie.Wine snobs need not apply.😆😆

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #74

    ummmm.... 😵

  • ummmm.... 😵

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @tour2ma said:

    ummmm.... 😵

    What? Did you prefer it was all in pink ink?🙄

  • Perfect wine that fits the Browns' fan's budget trying to cope with every week's disaster.

    It's a fine little wine with subtle hints of blackberry pie, raspberry liquor and the deep fruity flavor of the finest Merlot from price competitor.....................................Mogen David. 

    Yep, I'm talking a less than $6 a bottle of Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot. Even  your sweet tooth spouse can join you in the Pit of Misery. And the price is so low you can treat yourself to a  consolation steak grilled on the Barbie or, if she's gone for the weekend, just consolation from Barbie.Wine snobs need not apply.😆😆

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @texasag1969 said:

    Perfect wine that fits the Browns' fan's budget trying to cope with every week's disaster.

    It's a fine little wine with subtle hints of blackberry pie, raspberry liquor and the deep fruity flavor of the finest Merlot from price competitor.....................................Mogen David. 

    Yep, I'm talking a less than $6 a bottle of Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot. Even  your sweet tooth spouse can join you in the Pit of Misery. And the price is so low you can treat yourself to a  consolation steak grilled on the Barbie or, if she's gone for the weekend, just consolation from Barbie.Wine snobs need not apply.😆😆

    Dilly dilly!!!   This stuff might be OK too, though I doubt there's much real cherry in that offering at that price....   

    traditional_products.jpg

    While we're on the topic of cheap wine I give you this excerpt. Ag, I almost peed myself I was laughing so hard reading this review...   http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html

    thunderbird.jpg

    "As pictured (above), look for the pigeon feces and you'll find this old bird.  As soon as you taste this swill, it will be obvious that its makers cut every corner possible in its production to make it cheap.  Self-proclaimed as "The American Classic,"  Thunderbird is Vinted and bottled by E&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA.  Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd."  If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you.  Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird.  As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower.  The undisputed leader of the five in foulness of flavor, we highly discourage drinking this ghastly mixture of unknown chemicals unless you really are a bum.  A convenience store clerk in Show Low, AZ once told me that only the oldest of stumbling indian drunks from the reservation buy Thunderbird.  Available in 750 mL and a devastating 50 oz jug."

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #77

    LOL! Want a guess on who makes Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot?

    You guessed correctly! Written right there in the fine print on the bottle.😛

    But it does taste better than some Spanish sangrias I've had. Sorry Nero.😁

  • LOL! Want a guess on who makes Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot?

    You guessed correctly! Written right there in the fine print on the bottle.😛

    But it does taste better than some Spanish sangrias I've had. Sorry Nero.😁

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by Nero
    #78

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! Want a guess on who makes Wild Vines Blackberry Merlot?

    You guessed correctly! Written right there in the fine print on the bottle.😛

    But it does taste better than some Spanish sangrias I've had. Sorry Nero.😁

    It can happen. Sangrías are very personal and depending on who makes it can be either glorious or dreadful. 

    I've drunk very cheap sangrías which were amazing.

    Anyhow, it is not considered a 'sophisticated' beverage.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #79

    The whole "sophisticated" drinking thing makes me laugh. Drink what you like, if its $5 or $5000. Hell yeah, I've drank some of the Wild Vines Blackberry! 😆

    Reminds me of the dbags at the Kent bars, graduate students most likely, who tried to show the world how "sophisticated" they were as they choked down Scotch. It was painfully obvious they hated it, but it went with the blazers with elbow patches they were rockin'.

  • The whole "sophisticated" drinking thing makes me laugh. Drink what you like, if its $5 or $5000. Hell yeah, I've drank some of the Wild Vines Blackberry! 😆

    Reminds me of the dbags at the Kent bars, graduate students most likely, who tried to show the world how "sophisticated" they were as they choked down Scotch. It was painfully obvious they hated it, but it went with the blazers with elbow patches they were rockin'.

    NeroN Nero wrote on last edited by
    #80

    @dutch-oven said:

    The whole "sophisticated" drinking thing makes me laugh. Drink what you like, if its $5 or $5000. Hell yeah, I've drank some of the Wild Vines Blackberry! 😆

    Reminds me of the dbags at the Kent bars, graduate students most likely, who tried to show the world how "sophisticated" they were as they choked down Scotch. It was painfully obvious they hated it, but it went with the blazers with elbow patches they were rockin'.

    I said sophisticated becaude though it is popular, you won't usually drink it in a 'formal' lunch. It is very informal.

    Drink whatever you want, though.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    The whole "sophisticated" drinking thing makes me laugh. Drink what you like, if its $5 or $5000. Hell yeah, I've drank some of the Wild Vines Blackberry! 😆

    Reminds me of the dbags at the Kent bars, graduate students most likely, who tried to show the world how "sophisticated" they were as they choked down Scotch. It was painfully obvious they hated it, but it went with the blazers with elbow patches they were rockin'.

    I said sophisticated becaude though it is popular, you won't usually drink it in a 'formal' lunch. It is very informal.

    Drink whatever you want, though.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @nero said:

    I said sophisticated becaude though it is popular, you won't usually drink it in a 'formal' lunch. It is very informal.

    Drink whatever you want, though.

    Oh I know Nero, I was more taking shots at people who are wine/beer snobs. You know, the "I only drink IPAs made from artisanal makers with long beards who live in Brooklyn" type of people. 

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #82

    I've enjoyed Sangria... not afraid to admit it.

    Worst wine? Pear Ripple... was rounding out a case for a discount in college and last couple bottles were cheapest a roomie and I could find. So essentially got it for free... and at that cost it was overpriced.

    Not about snob... it's about value and the occasional indulgence... it's about enjoyment.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #83

    The little brat needs to spend some time in the Skinner box. Treats when he sees Brown and orange electric shock when he sees Black and Yellow.

    😄

    WSS