Skip to content

Coach Rumor

The Browns Board
45 17 1.6k 1
  • Post the link. I can't find anything on this. I call shenanigans. 

    @alkid3 said:

    Post the link. I can't find anything on this. I call shenanigans. 

    https://twitter.com/ESPNCleveland/status/936630163961499648

    ESPN Cleveland@ESPNCleveland
    Could the Browns lure a Super Bowl winning coach if they fire Hue Jackson? There's an interesting rumor floating around NFL circles. Miss Grossi? Listen any time: TheLandOnDemand.com
  • @mark-o said:

    It should always be the expectation should it not?  Otherwise, why bother?     Point being....coaches who have won a super bowl basically never win one again with a different team.   It just doesn't happen. 

    I don't want Sean Peyton.  I want the next Sean Peyton.   Whoever that guy is.   Young and hungry to be a head coach not a rich old guy resting on his laurels from winning a super bowl somewhere else (see Holmgren, Mike Cleveland Browns if you need a reference.).

    Basically... but you're saying it's possible right? You can say the same thing for QBs. Would you take Aaron Rodgers on our team? Drew Brees? Nobody has won a super bowl on 2 different teams like Peyton Manning.

    @alkid3 said:

    Basically... but you're saying it's possible right? You can say the same thing for QBs. Would you take Aaron Rodgers on our team? Drew Brees? Nobody has won a super bowl on 2 different teams like Peyton Manning.

    Different situation entirely.   Sure I'd take Brees or Rodgers or Brady or hell..Eli Manning at this point.   Franchise QB's don't switch teams after they've won a super bowl.  It just doesn't happen and if it does, it's when the career is pretty much over.  Peyton being the exception, but his career was pretty much toast when the Broncos signed him and he played well enough not to lose games and the defense carried the team.  

    Coaches leave to go other places and the teams and fans think they're bringing in a super bowl winner because he's done it before somewhere else but it doesn't work out that way.  The hunger isn't there as much to do it the 2nd time.

  • @mark-o said:

    I agree.  I don't see him leaving New Orleans.   But no, I wouldn't want him.   Same question as always....how many coaches have won a super bowl or NFL championship with 2 different teams?   It ain't a long list.  

    I want the next Sean Peyton.   Find that guy and make him our new coach.

    The Rams got him.

    @stillmotion said:

    The Rams got him.

    They did.  But there's probably another one out there somewhere.   Just have to trust the nerds to find him.

  • If he's the 2017 Sean Peyton, then I'd take him in a heartbeat as well.

    After years of being "pass happy", he's fundamentally changed the Saints offensive approach into one worthy of the AFCN. That kind of adaptability is uncommon.

  • ESPN Cleveland are reporting an interesting rumor circulating around the NFL that the Browns next coach could be Sean Peyton ......... I don't see that happening but if it did would you be happy ?

    @darren15 said:

    ESPN Cleveland are reporting an interesting rumor circulating around the NFL that the Browns next coach could be Sean Peyton ......... I don't see that happening but if it did would you be happy ?

    I like to look at the backgrounds in these rumors......and what's more fun than rumors especially with BROWNS football......he does have Midwest roots:

    Career information
    High school: Naperville (IL) Central
    College: Eastern Illinois
    Undrafted: 1987
    Career history
    As player:
    As coach:
    • San Diego State (1988–1989)
      Offensive assistant
    • Indiana State (1990–1991)
      Running backs coach & wide receivers coach
    • San Diego State (1992–1993)
      Running backs coach
    • Miami (OH) (1994–1995)
      Offensive coordinator
    • Illinois (1996)
      Quarterbacks coach
  • Oh a guy from PA I worked with had season tickets to the Pittsburgh Glad-he-ate-hers (as the locals called it) in their short existance, also collected all the merchandise he could get, no real interest with the Steelers in town and they folded.

  • @darren15 said:

    ESPN Cleveland are reporting an interesting rumor circulating around the NFL that the Browns next coach could be Sean Peyton ......... I don't see that happening but if it did would you be happy ?

    I like to look at the backgrounds in these rumors......and what's more fun than rumors especially with BROWNS football......he does have Midwest roots:

    Career information
    High school: Naperville (IL) Central
    College: Eastern Illinois
    Undrafted: 1987
    Career history
    As player:
    As coach:
    • San Diego State (1988–1989)
      Offensive assistant
    • Indiana State (1990–1991)
      Running backs coach & wide receivers coach
    • San Diego State (1992–1993)
      Running backs coach
    • Miami (OH) (1994–1995)
      Offensive coordinator
    • Illinois (1996)
      Quarterbacks coach

    @mjp28 said:

    I like to look at the backgrounds in these rumors......and what's more fun than rumors especially with BROWNS football......he does have Midwest roots:

    Career information
    High school: Naperville (IL) Central
    College: Eastern Illinois
    Undrafted: 1987
    Career history
    As player:
    As coach:
    • San Diego State (1988–1989)
      Offensive assistant
    • Indiana State (1990–1991)
      Running backs coach & wide receivers coach
    • San Diego State (1992–1993)
      Running backs coach
    • Miami (OH) (1994–1995)
      Offensive coordinator
    • Illinois (1996)
      Quarterbacks coach

    Who are you talking about here?

  • @mjp28 said:

    I like to look at the backgrounds in these rumors......and what's more fun than rumors especially with BROWNS football......he does have Midwest roots:

    Career information
    High school: Naperville (IL) Central
    College: Eastern Illinois
    Undrafted: 1987
    Career history
    As player:
    As coach:
    • San Diego State (1988–1989)
      Offensive assistant
    • Indiana State (1990–1991)
      Running backs coach & wide receivers coach
    • San Diego State (1992–1993)
      Running backs coach
    • Miami (OH) (1994–1995)
      Offensive coordinator
    • Illinois (1996)
      Quarterbacks coach

    Who are you talking about here?

    @the-gipper said:

    Who are you talking about here?

    We are talking only about Sean Payton in this thead. It would be ideal if the OP added his name to the title, anyway.

  • @mjp28 said:

    I like to look at the backgrounds in these rumors......and what's more fun than rumors especially with BROWNS football......he does have Midwest roots:

    Career information
    High school: Naperville (IL) Central
    College: Eastern Illinois
    Undrafted: 1987
    Career history
    As player:
    As coach:
    • San Diego State (1988–1989)
      Offensive assistant
    • Indiana State (1990–1991)
      Running backs coach & wide receivers coach
    • San Diego State (1992–1993)
      Running backs coach
    • Miami (OH) (1994–1995)
      Offensive coordinator
    • Illinois (1996)
      Quarterbacks coach

    Who are you talking about here?

    @the-gipper said:

    Who are you talking about here?

    I believe hes referring to Sean Payton.. But I also believe Sean Peyton is from Cali.....

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Payton

  • This just in....ESPN Cleveland is reporting that the ghost of Vince Lombardi is interested in coaching the Browns.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    This just in....ESPN Cleveland is reporting that the ghost of Vince Lombardi is interested in coaching the Browns.

    Not true. Someone went to his grave and asked him. All they heard was laughter interspersed with gtfo's

  • Payton and williams reunited eh? Whatevs. Bets on how long these shtbirds turn on him?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Who are you talking about here?

    We are talking only about Sean Payton in this thead. It would be ideal if the OP added his name to the title, anyway.

    @nero said:

    We are talking only about Sean Payton in this thead. It would be ideal if the OP added his name to the title, anyway.

    OK, but I thought he had gone on to refer to someone else.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Who are you talking about here?

    I believe hes referring to Sean Payton.. But I also believe Sean Peyton is from Cali.....

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Payton

    @nickers said:

    I believe hes referring to Sean Payton.. But I also believe Sean Peyton is from Cali.....

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Payton

    Born in Cali, graduated in the great midwest.

    Payton was born in San Mateo, California, and raised in Naperville, Illinois, by parents Thomas and Jeanne Payton.[6] Payton's parents were originally from Scranton, Pennsylvania; Thomas worked in the insurance industry.[7] Sean Payton lived in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, during his grade school and middle school years (1970 to 1978).[6] Sean attended Naperville Central High School in Naperville, Illinois, starting as quarterback his senior year before graduating in 1982. Winning a football scholarship, Payton had a successful career playing quarterback at Eastern Illinois University, leading the Panthers to an 11–2 record and the quarter-finals of the Division I-AA Playoffs in 1986........

  • @nickers said:

    I believe hes referring to Sean Payton.. But I also believe Sean Peyton is from Cali.....

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Payton

    Born in Cali, graduated in the great midwest.

    Payton was born in San Mateo, California, and raised in Naperville, Illinois, by parents Thomas and Jeanne Payton.[6] Payton's parents were originally from Scranton, Pennsylvania; Thomas worked in the insurance industry.[7] Sean Payton lived in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, during his grade school and middle school years (1970 to 1978).[6] Sean attended Naperville Central High School in Naperville, Illinois, starting as quarterback his senior year before graduating in 1982. Winning a football scholarship, Payton had a successful career playing quarterback at Eastern Illinois University, leading the Panthers to an 11–2 record and the quarter-finals of the Division I-AA Playoffs in 1986........

    @mjp28 said:

    Born in Cali, graduated in the great midwest.

    Payton was born in San Mateo, California, and raised in Naperville, Illinois, by parents Thomas and Jeanne Payton.[6] Payton's parents were originally from Scranton, Pennsylvania; Thomas worked in the insurance industry.[7] Sean Payton lived in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, during his grade school and middle school years (1970 to 1978).[6] Sean attended Naperville Central High School in Naperville, Illinois, starting as quarterback his senior year before graduating in 1982. Winning a football scholarship, Payton had a successful career playing quarterback at Eastern Illinois University, leading the Panthers to an 11–2 record and the quarter-finals of the Division I-AA Playoffs in 1986........

    It's kind of funny.. didn't he spend a part of his childhood down south for a few years?.. I remember seeing a special about him... I couldve sworn he was all southern at one time..

  • @mjp28 said:

    Born in Cali, graduated in the great midwest.

    Payton was born in San Mateo, California, and raised in Naperville, Illinois, by parents Thomas and Jeanne Payton.[6] Payton's parents were originally from Scranton, Pennsylvania; Thomas worked in the insurance industry.[7] Sean Payton lived in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania, during his grade school and middle school years (1970 to 1978).[6] Sean attended Naperville Central High School in Naperville, Illinois, starting as quarterback his senior year before graduating in 1982. Winning a football scholarship, Payton had a successful career playing quarterback at Eastern Illinois University, leading the Panthers to an 11–2 record and the quarter-finals of the Division I-AA Playoffs in 1986........

    It's kind of funny.. didn't he spend a part of his childhood down south for a few years?.. I remember seeing a special about him... I couldve sworn he was all southern at one time..

    @nickers said:

    It's kind of funny.. didn't he spend a part of his childhood down south for a few years?.. I remember seeing a special about him... I couldve sworn he was all southern at one time..

    I don't remember that but I remember graduating with my MBA in 1985 from YSU in 1986 Tressel came to YSU and had them in the playoffs in 1987 one year after Sean had his great year in 1986 in the 1-AA playoffs. 

  • @nickers said:

    It's kind of funny.. didn't he spend a part of his childhood down south for a few years?.. I remember seeing a special about him... I couldve sworn he was all southern at one time..

    I don't remember that but I remember graduating with my MBA in 1985 from YSU in 1986 Tressel came to YSU and had them in the playoffs in 1987 one year after Sean had his great year in 1986 in the 1-AA playoffs. 

    @mjp28 said:

    I don't remember that but I remember graduating with my MBA in 1985 from YSU in 1986 Tressel came to YSU and had them in the playoffs in 1987 one year after Sean had his great year in 1986 in the 1-AA playoffs. 

    All the same.. I wouldn't mind having him as HC with certain.. I hate to use the word restrictions... As guess cautionary leeway if that makes any sense and provided things went well.. you give him everything he want's.. by the same token.. You can't really hand cuff him too much... If his system is gonna be successful... Time will tell I suppose.. We haven't crossed that bridge yet...

  • @alkid3 said:

    Basically... but you're saying it's possible right? You can say the same thing for QBs. Would you take Aaron Rodgers on our team? Drew Brees? Nobody has won a super bowl on 2 different teams like Peyton Manning.

    Different situation entirely.   Sure I'd take Brees or Rodgers or Brady or hell..Eli Manning at this point.   Franchise QB's don't switch teams after they've won a super bowl.  It just doesn't happen and if it does, it's when the career is pretty much over.  Peyton being the exception, but his career was pretty much toast when the Broncos signed him and he played well enough not to lose games and the defense carried the team.  

    Coaches leave to go other places and the teams and fans think they're bringing in a super bowl winner because he's done it before somewhere else but it doesn't work out that way.  The hunger isn't there as much to do it the 2nd time.

    @mark-o said:

    Different situation entirely.   Sure I'd take Brees or Rodgers or Brady or hell..Eli Manning at this point.   Franchise QB's don't switch teams after they've won a super bowl.  It just doesn't happen and if it does, it's when the career is pretty much over.  Peyton being the exception, but his career was pretty much toast when the Broncos signed him and he played well enough not to lose games and the defense carried the team.  

    Coaches leave to go other places and the teams and fans think they're bringing in a super bowl winner because he's done it before somewhere else but it doesn't work out that way.  The hunger isn't there as much to do it the 2nd time.

    In your opinion

  • @mark-o said:

    Different situation entirely.   Sure I'd take Brees or Rodgers or Brady or hell..Eli Manning at this point.   Franchise QB's don't switch teams after they've won a super bowl.  It just doesn't happen and if it does, it's when the career is pretty much over.  Peyton being the exception, but his career was pretty much toast when the Broncos signed him and he played well enough not to lose games and the defense carried the team.  

    Coaches leave to go other places and the teams and fans think they're bringing in a super bowl winner because he's done it before somewhere else but it doesn't work out that way.  The hunger isn't there as much to do it the 2nd time.

    In your opinion

    @alkid3 said:

    In your opinion

    The facts and stats that only one coach has done it support my opinion that its not the best way to go when looking for a new head coach. 

  • @alkid3 said:

    In your opinion

    The facts and stats that only one coach has done it support my opinion that its not the best way to go when looking for a new head coach. 

    @mark-o said:

    The facts and stats that only one coach has done it support my opinion that its not the best way to go when looking for a new head coach. 

    Again in your opinion. Browns need to get wins before thinking super bowl. And then playoffs before super bowl we can't just rule this out because it's highly unlikely. 

  • @mark-o said:

    The facts and stats that only one coach has done it support my opinion that its not the best way to go when looking for a new head coach. 

    Again in your opinion. Browns need to get wins before thinking super bowl. And then playoffs before super bowl we can't just rule this out because it's highly unlikely. 

    @alkid3 said:

    Again in your opinion. Browns need to get wins before thinking super bowl. And then playoffs before super bowl we can't just rule this out because it's highly unlikely. 

    Facts are not opinion.  Its happened only one time in NFL history.   That is a fact.