Skip to content

Josh Rosen?

The Browns Board
218 40 7.3k
  • What's wrong with Josh Rosen?

    About this time three years ago, I made a very similar thread-except instead of Rosen, I posed the question for Derek Carr. Let's start with the fact that anyone who watched the game yesterday and thinks in any way shape or form that Kizer is the dude is insane. I swear to God if I see one more red zone INT into double or triple coverage I may lose my mind.

    With that being said, it's apparent to me that Dorsey is all hands on deck to draft a QB. There's some interesting prospects, but I can't understand for the life of me why Rosen isn't the clear cut number 1 pick. Literally the only knock on the guy is he says some short-sighted (albeit true) things to the media and that he rubs people the wrong way. Watching the guy play all I see is a franchise QB who checks off every single box you'd want. So I'm asking in all sincerity, why not Rosen? Why would any other QB even be considered? 

    @jrb12711 said:

    About this time three years ago, I made a very similar thread-except instead of Rosen, I posed the question for Derek Carr. Let's start with the fact that anyone who watched the game yesterday and thinks in any way shape or form that Kizer is the dude is insane. I swear to God if I see one more red zone INT into double or triple coverage I may lose my mind.

    With that being said, it's apparent to me that Dorsey is all hands on deck to draft a QB. There's some interesting prospects, but I can't understand for the life of me why Rosen isn't the clear cut number 1 pick. Literally the only knock on the guy is he says some short-sighted (albeit true) things to the media and that he rubs people the wrong way. Watching the guy play all I see is a franchise QB who checks off every single box you'd want. So I'm asking in all sincerity, why not Rosen? Why would any other QB even be considered? 

    Why is Rosen not #1?   Because in my mind, there is no particular pecking order on these QBs. Because they have not finished their college careers and we (i.e.....Browns scouting dept.) needs to see their entire body of work.  Because there is still some question on Whether or not all these guys will be coming out.  Because they have not gone through their combines/workouts/interview etc. 

    So...he is not #1 because no one is #1. 

  • Hue has a type and has Haslam eating out the palm of his hand so therefore it will be Josh Allen with the Texans pick and he will sit behind AJ McCarron. Then in time both will turn out as bad as the rest of the QBs we have had here whilst Josh Rosen wins multiple superbowls in New York with the Giants. BANK IT.

  • Well if only 2 GM's are saying to stay away from Rosen  that really doesn't mean much its not like its 10 or 15 and all the draft guru's and who know those 2 gm's who  don't like Rosen both might play in the same east coast stadium.

    @richiswhere said:

    Well if only 2 GM's are saying to stay away from Rosen  that really doesn't mean much its not like its 10 or 15 and all the draft guru's and who know those 2 gm's who  don't like Rosen both might play in the same east coast stadium.

    It's also being extremely short-sighted of your argument to not make note of the fact every "bad personality" argument was from before this season started. The last "blemish" is the whole student athlete thing, which I encourage you to read: https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/08/josh-rosen-student-athlete-ncaa-comments

    What, exactly, is so bad about what he is saying? I worked my way through college too, but he's not wrong. the NCAA machine is ridiculous. Even if you knock him for saying it, he's kept his head down since and preformed at a dominant level on the field.

  • I agree that Rosen is the pocket passer in this class. And while he is not immobile... neither can he be called "mobile."

    So in my mind he's the clear #1 as well.

    But... if a franchise is looking for mobility in their QB, then I can see them going elsewhere.

    @tour2ma said:

    I agree that Rosen is the pocket passer in this class. And while he is not immobile... neither can he be called "mobile."

    So in my mind he's the clear #1 as well.

    But... if a franchise is looking for mobility in their QB, then I can see them going elsewhere.

    I've seen every Rosen snap and his pocket movement is Brady like in terms of being slippery and finding a different launch point. While the "mobile QB" tag may never be slapped on him, he's definitely good enough.

    My only concern is wondering what's in his heart.... Does he love football enough to be great at the next level? He's been hard to read on that for all the years I've seen him play. Just when I think "Hell yea, dude is a warrior" then another game pops up where I wondered if he needed a nap at half time..... I just don't know about his motor. 

  • rosen might go the Elway-Manning route and refuse to play for the Browns anyways - just not

    the right pick for the Browns - too bad, he certainly has the arm, he just doesn't have the class.

    @calfoxwc said:

    rosen might go the Elway-Manning route and refuse to play for the Browns anyways - just not

    the right pick for the Browns - too bad, he certainly has the arm, he just doesn't have the class.

    I could see Rosen refusing to playing for the Browns because of the attitude problem I’ve heard much of. People are forgetting that I live in Los Angeles, and a lot of people are assholes here. They feel like they’re “above” people. I encountered a few of them at a bar last week. Apparently scouts were warning about his character. NFL GM’s calling him an arrogant prick, and almost every UCLA fan, student, and teacher I’ve known that’s met him hates him. Maybe his teammates like him? But I’ve heard he talks down to coaches and does things his own way. When’s the last time you found someone’s high school coach talk negatively about someone? I suppose they really have to be a pretty big pooper. My friend, who teaches at UCLA’s friend had Rosen as a student in class, and he said the kid was a complete pooper to him. It’s fine though, because character and intangibles don’t matter. A talented player has never been an pooper before. The question is why so many people, students, teachers, scouts, GM’s, football coaches would all make this up as a smear campaign against Rosen? Or maybe, In fact, the kid could be an pooper of new levels. My friend who teaches at UCLA loves UCLA but hates Rosen. And my friend is Jewish, so please save me anti Semitic euphemism argument gipper. I’m full out going to say I think the kid is going to be a major bust because of his character. Mayfield will be a star. If we pick Rosen, I think he could care less about the browns, and perhaps would pull an Elway. Please don’t try and make Rosen into your “ideal qb”, because if he’s truly an pooper, if people will hate him, and if he only cares about himself he’s doomed to fail. If my friend who teaches at UCLA, all the students I know there, and all the coaches scouts and GMs are all wrong about him, then I’ll be grateful and gladly admit I was wrong. But for me, he’s the scariest pick #1 by far. I can’t fathom why so many people would say negatively things about the kid. And if that isn’t a red flag to you, what is? Grabbing your crotch during a game, or tons of people you’ve met who aren’t your teammates calling you an arrogant prick?

  • @richiswhere said:

    Well if only 2 GM's are saying to stay away from Rosen  that really doesn't mean much its not like its 10 or 15 and all the draft guru's and who know those 2 gm's who  don't like Rosen both might play in the same east coast stadium.

    It's also being extremely short-sighted of your argument to not make note of the fact every "bad personality" argument was from before this season started. The last "blemish" is the whole student athlete thing, which I encourage you to read: https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/08/josh-rosen-student-athlete-ncaa-comments

    What, exactly, is so bad about what he is saying? I worked my way through college too, but he's not wrong. the NCAA machine is ridiculous. Even if you knock him for saying it, he's kept his head down since and preformed at a dominant level on the field.

    @jrb12711 said:

    It's also being extremely short-sighted of your argument to not make note of the fact every "bad personality" argument was from before this season started. The last "blemish" is the whole student athlete thing, which I encourage you to read: https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/08/josh-rosen-student-athlete-ncaa-comments

    What, exactly, is so bad about what he is saying? I worked my way through college too, but he's not wrong. the NCAA machine is ridiculous. Even if you knock him for saying it, he's kept his head down since and preformed at a dominant level on the field.

    What??!!?!?!? 😵😵😵  I will make it easier ...I was written the at least 2 GM are saying that Rosen is a flat out stay away for draft purpose and I'm saying that those 2 GM's are for teams that play in the same stadium on the east coast and if you can't figure out those 2 teams they would be the Jets and Giants.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    It's also being extremely short-sighted of your argument to not make note of the fact every "bad personality" argument was from before this season started. The last "blemish" is the whole student athlete thing, which I encourage you to read: https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/08/josh-rosen-student-athlete-ncaa-comments

    What, exactly, is so bad about what he is saying? I worked my way through college too, but he's not wrong. the NCAA machine is ridiculous. Even if you knock him for saying it, he's kept his head down since and preformed at a dominant level on the field.

    What??!!?!?!? 😵😵😵  I will make it easier ...I was written the at least 2 GM are saying that Rosen is a flat out stay away for draft purpose and I'm saying that those 2 GM's are for teams that play in the same stadium on the east coast and if you can't figure out those 2 teams they would be the Jets and Giants.

    @richiswhere said:

    What??!!?!?!? 😵😵😵  I will make it easier ...I was written the at least 2 GM are saying that Rosen is a flat out stay away for draft purpose and I'm saying that those 2 GM's are for teams that play in the same stadium on the east coast and if you can't figure out those 2 teams they would be the Jets and Giants.

    Sorry, just misquoted you there and meant to do CAL. Yes, a couple of rogue GM's don't scare me away.

  • What's wrong with Josh Rosen?

    About this time three years ago, I made a very similar thread-except instead of Rosen, I posed the question for Derek Carr. Let's start with the fact that anyone who watched the game yesterday and thinks in any way shape or form that Kizer is the dude is insane. I swear to God if I see one more red zone INT into double or triple coverage I may lose my mind.

    With that being said, it's apparent to me that Dorsey is all hands on deck to draft a QB. There's some interesting prospects, but I can't understand for the life of me why Rosen isn't the clear cut number 1 pick. Literally the only knock on the guy is he says some short-sighted (albeit true) things to the media and that he rubs people the wrong way. Watching the guy play all I see is a franchise QB who checks off every single box you'd want. So I'm asking in all sincerity, why not Rosen? Why would any other QB even be considered? 

    @jrb12711 said:

     I swear to God if I see one more red zone INT into double or triple coverage I may lose my mind.

    Welcome to the sunday before last, u know...the GB throw. I was frothing, yesterday, not so much. Why? Cause I FUKKING CALLED IT AFTER THE GB GAME HE'D TRY ALMOST THAT SAME FUKKING THROW ALL OVER AGAIN. 

  • Also, dont people suspect that theres teams that would love to trash some qb's and make clev gun shy sonthatbplayer falls down the board?

  • Reports about character from 2016 mean pretty much nothing. Any questions from outliers were before this  season started,  not during or after. 

    The biggest concerns from ucla  fans are his injuries sustained at ucla,  and that he'll be on a team like the Browns. Nobody mentions anything about attitude or character issues. It's nonsense 

    Keep in mind, there are certain scouts who said bosa would be average at best.  He's too slow,  already maxed out in technique... Etc. 

    Nonsense 

  • Reports about character from 2016 mean pretty much nothing. Any questions from outliers were before this  season started,  not during or after. 

    The biggest concerns from ucla  fans are his injuries sustained at ucla,  and that he'll be on a team like the Browns. Nobody mentions anything about attitude or character issues. It's nonsense 

    Keep in mind, there are certain scouts who said bosa would be average at best.  He's too slow,  already maxed out in technique... Etc. 

    Nonsense 

    @sd_tom said:

    Reports about character from 2016 mean pretty much nothing. Any questions from outliers were before this  season started,  not during or after. 

    The biggest concerns from ucla  fans are his injuries sustained at ucla,  and that he'll be on a team like the Browns. Nobody mentions anything about attitude or character issues. It's nonsense 

    Keep in mind, there are certain scouts who said bosa would be average at best.  He's too slow,  already maxed out in technique... Etc. 

    Nonsense 

    I mean there was nerve injury in the shoulder but Rosen said it wasn't a big deal. Some scouts think it is. Mora said it wasn't too. I'm sure they'd find out if it isn't the case.

    Rosen is a better physical NFL-ready QB specimen then Mayfield, and like I said before they both have character concerns, but seriously man, a QB needs to be a leader.... Why these character concerns don't matter to you I don't understand.

    Had everyone of told me Rosen has no character concerns I would say take him #1, now. But after the massive amount of people that told me every NFL team needs to stay far away from him, obviously I have to be skeptical. I guess you also think Manziel's character concern's were "nonsense". That worked out for us well.

  • Actually, I think I'd draft Mayfield, way, way before rosen. Mayfield has serious heart and leadership.

  • You'd think short QBs with obvious maturity issues who play in the Big 12 would be red flags too...

  • @sd_tom said:

    Reports about character from 2016 mean pretty much nothing. Any questions from outliers were before this  season started,  not during or after. 

    The biggest concerns from ucla  fans are his injuries sustained at ucla,  and that he'll be on a team like the Browns. Nobody mentions anything about attitude or character issues. It's nonsense 

    Keep in mind, there are certain scouts who said bosa would be average at best.  He's too slow,  already maxed out in technique... Etc. 

    Nonsense 

    I mean there was nerve injury in the shoulder but Rosen said it wasn't a big deal. Some scouts think it is. Mora said it wasn't too. I'm sure they'd find out if it isn't the case.

    Rosen is a better physical NFL-ready QB specimen then Mayfield, and like I said before they both have character concerns, but seriously man, a QB needs to be a leader.... Why these character concerns don't matter to you I don't understand.

    Had everyone of told me Rosen has no character concerns I would say take him #1, now. But after the massive amount of people that told me every NFL team needs to stay far away from him, obviously I have to be skeptical. I guess you also think Manziel's character concern's were "nonsense". That worked out for us well.

    @stillmotion said:

    I mean there was nerve injury in the shoulder but Rosen said it wasn't a big deal. Some scouts think it is. Mora said it wasn't too. I'm sure they'd find out if it isn't the case.

    Rosen is a better physical NFL-ready QB specimen then Mayfield, and like I said before they both have character concerns, but seriously man, a QB needs to be a leader.... Why these character concerns don't matter to you I don't understand.

    Had everyone of told me Rosen has no character concerns I would say take him #1, now. But after the massive amount of people that told me every NFL team needs to stay far away from him, obviously I have to be skeptical. I guess you also think Manziel's character concern's were "nonsense". That worked out for us well.

    I don't get how there's "massive amount of people saying to stay away" I don't find any reports it, other than a few from 2016 or before the 2017 season even started, and even those were more speculating on his immature attitude and leadership than actually critiquing anything about his chances as an NFL QB or how rotten of a teammate he is. I think Aaron Rogers had similar "issues" and he's been ok thus far. 

    Comparing Rosen to Manziel is completely absurd. Off the field... on the field.... they're nothing alike. 

    On the plus side- Rosen is used to playing on a bad team. Mayfield and Darnold? Not so much

  • @stillmotion said:

    I mean there was nerve injury in the shoulder but Rosen said it wasn't a big deal. Some scouts think it is. Mora said it wasn't too. I'm sure they'd find out if it isn't the case.

    Rosen is a better physical NFL-ready QB specimen then Mayfield, and like I said before they both have character concerns, but seriously man, a QB needs to be a leader.... Why these character concerns don't matter to you I don't understand.

    Had everyone of told me Rosen has no character concerns I would say take him #1, now. But after the massive amount of people that told me every NFL team needs to stay far away from him, obviously I have to be skeptical. I guess you also think Manziel's character concern's were "nonsense". That worked out for us well.

    I don't get how there's "massive amount of people saying to stay away" I don't find any reports it, other than a few from 2016 or before the 2017 season even started, and even those were more speculating on his immature attitude and leadership than actually critiquing anything about his chances as an NFL QB or how rotten of a teammate he is. I think Aaron Rogers had similar "issues" and he's been ok thus far. 

    Comparing Rosen to Manziel is completely absurd. Off the field... on the field.... they're nothing alike. 

    On the plus side- Rosen is used to playing on a bad team. Mayfield and Darnold? Not so much

    @sd_tom said:

    Comparing Rosen to Manziel is completely absurd. Off the field... on the field.... they're nothing alike. 

    It's no more absurd than comparing Mayfield to Manziel. 

    https://nflspinzone.com/2017/06/30/2018-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-smear-campaign/

    On the Rich Eisen Show recently, UCLA coach Jim Mora heaped tremendous praise on Rosen but also said he has asked Rosen if he wants to be more like 

    Johnny Manziel or Tom Brady. The implication is clear. Maybe Rosen should tone it down.
     
    So let me think for a second, his own college coach compared him to Manziel on the record but we shouldn't?
     
     

    After his junior year of High School, he was invited to the Elite 11 quarterback camp. It is a huge honor to be selected. The best high school quarterbacks in the country go and are tutored about how to get to the next level by ex and current NFL quarterbacks.

    Rosen went to the camp and thought he knew everything already. He did not pay attention during film sessions, and was outright rude to the veteran quarterbacks there. Trent Dilfer who ran the camp had a number of quotes about Josh. The least offensive of which was “My bigger thing was he thinks he knows more than he knows.”

    He is the son of two wealthy, Ivy-League educated parents. He is very smart…but most people can’t stand him.

    His dream school was Stanford. Even though he was the #1 high school recruit in the country, after doing a background check on him, Stanford wanted nothing to do with him and did not offer him a scholarship. USC did not recruit him hard for the same reason.

    Rosen has a tremendous upside, but many articles and sources indicate, he is also an arrogant jerk.

  • Where there's smoke there's fire. Buyer beware. 

  • rosen might go the Elway-Manning route and refuse to play for the Browns anyways - just not

    the right pick for the Browns - too bad, he certainly has the arm, he just doesn't have the class.

    @calfoxwc said:

    rosen might go the Elway-Manning route and refuse to play for the Browns anyways - just not

    the right pick for the Browns - too bad, he certainly has the arm, he just doesn't have the class.

    If only your standards were half as high for picking a President...

    @the-gipper said:

    So...he is not #1 because no one is #1. 

    I heard somewhere that Rudolf is #1.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I agree that Rosen is the pocket passer in this class. And while he is not immobile... neither can he be called "mobile."

    So in my mind he's the clear #1 as well.

    But... if a franchise is looking for mobility in their QB, then I can see them going elsewhere.

    I've seen every Rosen snap and his pocket movement is Brady like in terms of being slippery and finding a different launch point. While the "mobile QB" tag may never be slapped on him, he's definitely good enough.

    My only concern is wondering what's in his heart.... Does he love football enough to be great at the next level? He's been hard to read on that for all the years I've seen him play. Just when I think "Hell yea, dude is a warrior" then another game pops up where I wondered if he needed a nap at half time..... I just don't know about his motor. 

    @d-bone said:

    I've seen every Rosen snap and his pocket movement is Brady like in terms of being slippery and finding a different launch point. While the "mobile QB" tag may never be slapped on him, he's definitely good enough.

    My only concern is wondering what's in his heart.... Does he love football enough to be great at the next level? He's been hard to read on that for all the years I've seen him play. Just when I think "Hell yea, dude is a warrior" then another game pops up where I wondered if he needed a nap at half time..... I just don't know about his motor.

    Agree... between the lines he's the best I see. Off-field? I have no way of knowing for sure.

    Fortunately we now have a football guy!

  • @sd_tom said:

    Comparing Rosen to Manziel is completely absurd. Off the field... on the field.... they're nothing alike. 

    It's no more absurd than comparing Mayfield to Manziel. 

    https://nflspinzone.com/2017/06/30/2018-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-smear-campaign/

    On the Rich Eisen Show recently, UCLA coach Jim Mora heaped tremendous praise on Rosen but also said he has asked Rosen if he wants to be more like 

    Johnny Manziel or Tom Brady. The implication is clear. Maybe Rosen should tone it down.
     
    So let me think for a second, his own college coach compared him to Manziel on the record but we shouldn't?
     
     

    After his junior year of High School, he was invited to the Elite 11 quarterback camp. It is a huge honor to be selected. The best high school quarterbacks in the country go and are tutored about how to get to the next level by ex and current NFL quarterbacks.

    Rosen went to the camp and thought he knew everything already. He did not pay attention during film sessions, and was outright rude to the veteran quarterbacks there. Trent Dilfer who ran the camp had a number of quotes about Josh. The least offensive of which was “My bigger thing was he thinks he knows more than he knows.”

    He is the son of two wealthy, Ivy-League educated parents. He is very smart…but most people can’t stand him.

    His dream school was Stanford. Even though he was the #1 high school recruit in the country, after doing a background check on him, Stanford wanted nothing to do with him and did not offer him a scholarship. USC did not recruit him hard for the same reason.

    Rosen has a tremendous upside, but many articles and sources indicate, he is also an arrogant jerk.

    @stillmotion said:

    https://nflspinzone.com/2017/06/30/2018-nfl-draft-josh-rosen-smear-campaign/

    On the Rich Eisen Show recently, UCLA coach Jim Mora heaped tremendous praise on Rosen but also said he has asked Rosen if he wants to be more like 

    Johnny Manziel or Tom Brady. The implication is clear. Maybe Rosen should tone it down.

    You really might want to read the entire article since the author ends up questioning the motives of the "anonymous scouts"... and you.

    @stillmotion said:

    It's no more absurd than comparing Mayfield to Manziel. 

    Sure it is... and I have the game film and arrest records to prove it.

  • I think I can't stand away from the QB discussion anymore.

    Every NFL scouting team has its schedule, that goes until the Combine or Pro Days I'd say, in order to set up a board for the draft and approach different prospects in Pro Days, interviews etc. Right now, I bet that they are compiling info and nobody can make a half way decent mock draft simply because not even the GMs have made their mind yet. 

    I don't give too much credit to August news, either. There's a lot of stuff going on the year before the draft, that you can have hundreds of reports going many ways simply because of the many interests that surround the draft. Say that you are the Giants or Denver GM, and pick just after Browns and also need a QB. If you want Rosen you will probably try to minimize his appeal, and if a reporter asks you, you just say 'he's OK but you are concerned about his character.' By now you may think that I'm contradicting myself, but as the year goes on you can tell (and reporters do) better what's the general trend and what is a smoke curtain. 

    And when evaluating the players, please. The intangibles. That kind of stuff is amazing...

    I almost only care about work ethic. The rest? I think intangibles should be only a 'tiebreaker' between two prospects with similar tangibles. Of the best QBs in the NFL, I'd say that the only ones that strike me as real leaders or motivators are Brady, Wilson, Cousins, Stafford, Rivers... Rogers isn't a great leader, neither Cam, or Smith. And I wish we had any of them.

    QBs being jerks doesn't surprise me. They are the most important player in one of the most important sports. You want a guy that works his butt off, if you can add a great leadership mind, fantastic, but it is just a topping, in my opinion, and many things should be evaluated first.