Alex smith
-
My first post on the thread:
- First of all, I think what Browns can give KC is way more than other teams. We have a lot of draft picks AND we are not a rival. We went 0-16 and they won their division, we are not a serious threat.
If you are going to go with a 2nd year rookie with only one start, you don't want to take the risk of trading your veteran QB to any of your rivals in the playoffs and 'help' them. Because if your rookie QB has a worse season than your veteran, everyone is going to draw comparisons. Moreover, the QB position hasn't been the main problem for KC this year, their defense has been way worse than last year, mostly against the run.
- Second: we are looking for a solution for the QB position. The team still has many holes, either on skill players (WR, CB) or depth (DL, LB). Smith is a good QB, not amazing but incredibly reliable: Few INTs, gets first downs with his feet, can scramble. We lost some of this year games only because of turnovers, so that's already an improvement. If he becomes a long term solution, great, if he is a bridge QB for the QB we draft this year, even better.
- We are drafting a QB. You cannot pass on one of the best drafts QBwise in years simply because you got a FA. Don't take the chances and go both FA and draft.
- I don't think Alex Smith's style matches with Hue's deep offense. I think someone already said that. And I don't see our magnificent coach adapting his offensive schemes to anyone. He hasn't even with a struggling rookie QB.
- We should sign at least a FA WR before we negotiate with Alex Smith. I don't know how is his relationship with the KC front office, but probably they don't want to do any bad to him and investing in weapons that he could use would help our case and make our offer more attractive.
-
Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.
WSS
Hue also wanted RG III and Kessler Steve. Be afraid, very afraid. I don't trust Hue's QB judgement any farther than I could throw him- except into the Lake.
Hue also wanted RG III and Kessler Steve. Be afraid, very afraid. I don't trust Hue's QB judgement any farther than I could throw him- except into the Lake.
I didn't like RG3 because I thought he had a shity attitude. When it became apparent he'd gotten over that I was in his corner. One of the most talented quarterbacks for a long time and I was looking forward to him making a turn around. Cody Kessler was never expected to be the savior.
But I'm just as happy with AJ, which ain't much, has any of these other bums you guys were talking about. Especially Taylor and more especially Kaepernick.
WSS
-
Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.
WSS
Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.
WSS
Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns. (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).
Cousins...no. He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years. He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.
-
Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.
WSS
Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns. (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).
Cousins...no. He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years. He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.
Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns. (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).
Cousins...no. He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years. He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.
Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.
-
Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns. (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).
Cousins...no. He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years. He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.
Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.
Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.
I didn't think Cousins was that old. I thought he would only be like 27 or 28. He was drafted in 2012 no? Only 5 years ago from last season. I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out. He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted. Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.
-
But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.
Not even close, Gip.
My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.
Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.
-
Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.
I didn't think Cousins was that old. I thought he would only be like 27 or 28. He was drafted in 2012 no? Only 5 years ago from last season. I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out. He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted. Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.
I didn't think Cousins was that old. I thought he would only be like 27 or 28. He was drafted in 2012 no? Only 5 years ago from last season. I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out. He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted. Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.
Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.
-
But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.
Not even close, Gip.
My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.
Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.
Not even close, Gip.
My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.
Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.
Well....not much difference really. I guess you meant to say "sign him long term, then you don't have to apply the franchise tag"..without actually saying that. Of course, again, you left blanks in your comments such that you ask us to try to interpret what you mean. And you get cranky when we don't read your mind right. I mean, honestly, you are like a woman with that. You expect us to know what you are thinking even though you don't say what you are thinking. Are you sure you're not a chick? Better do a trouser check.
-
I didn't think Cousins was that old. I thought he would only be like 27 or 28. He was drafted in 2012 no? Only 5 years ago from last season. I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out. He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted. Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.
Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.
Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.
I guess this coming year will actually be his 7th season in the league: drafted 2012...so...2012/13/14/15/16/17/18
-
Google can be your friend. Turns 30 just before 2018 season and drafted in 2012 as you thought.
I guess this coming year will actually be his 7th season in the league: drafted 2012...so...2012/13/14/15/16/17/18
I guess this coming year will actually be his 7th season in the league: drafted 2012...so...2012/13/14/15/16/17/18
& that's why he (Cousins) is going to want to go to a team with SB aspirations (Jags, Broncos) instead of the dumpster fire the Browns have been over the last two years.
-
Not even close, Gip.
My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.
Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.
Well....not much difference really. I guess you meant to say "sign him long term, then you don't have to apply the franchise tag"..without actually saying that. Of course, again, you left blanks in your comments such that you ask us to try to interpret what you mean. And you get cranky when we don't read your mind right. I mean, honestly, you are like a woman with that. You expect us to know what you are thinking even though you don't say what you are thinking. Are you sure you're not a chick? Better do a trouser check.
Well....not much difference really.
lol... sure.
-
Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high?
-
Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high?
Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high?
A talking head on ESPN radio was mentioning a 3rd or possibly a 2nd rounder.
-
KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands. I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.
-
-
Uh oh! Odds against us on Smith.
It will be whoever gives the Chiefs the best deal. The Browns can do that.
-
Uh oh! Odds against us on Smith.
Guy is too busy setting odds to be anywhere accurate. I agree with Logic he's getting shipped to the team offering the best deal. That would be the Browns, if they choose to. Our two first round picks aren't for sale to buy a soon to be 34 year old QB.
Arizona with the #15 in the first round? With a 35 year old Fitzgerald? Don't think so. & KC fans are crazy if they think they can get one first round pick for Smith, much less two. I suppose they saw what the Vikings gave up for Bradford, and are dreaming big.

-
Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high?
Does anyone have any clue what it would take to trade for Alex Smith? I know at one point people wanted to wait for him to be released, that way he costs only money and not draft picks, but waiting for a release would probably guarantee that he signs with a team who WASN'T 0-16. You can bet your paycheck Arizona is going to be ALL over Smith as well, so I'm guessing the price for his services is going to be pretty high...but how high?
To me....3rd rounder...and maybe throw in a 6th.
-
KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands. I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.
KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands. I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.
How about a Brock Osweiler deal? We take him off their hands for the cost of his contract....and they give US a 2d/3rd rounder?
🥷
Edit: sorry....I never believed any of you would actually take this seriously
-
KC is 8M over the cap before signing any rookies thanks to our new GM's incompetence.. Chiefs should be paying us to take Smith's contract [20.6M in 2018] off their hands. I don't see any reason we should give them anything higher than a 3rd, followed by us signing whatever quality D FA they don't sign.
How about a Brock Osweiler deal? We take him off their hands for the cost of his contract....and they give US a 2d/3rd rounder?
🥷
Edit: sorry....I never believed any of you would actually take this seriously
How about a Brock Osweiler deal? We take him off their hands for the cost of his contract....and they give US a 2d/3rd rounder?
🥷
Nyet. The Chiefs are already minus their first round pick thanks to trading up for Mahomes, they'll be looking to add picks, not subtract them. There will be far more interest in Smith (several teams at least) than the Ostrich. I wouldn't look for the bidding to get insane, but then you never know about those things. Alex has a proven track record- something Brock sorely lacks. Look for the Brockster to get flat out cut by Denver once the season is over- the way his contract is structured, it coast them nothing to do so.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login