Skip to content

Alex smith

The Browns Board
152 45 7.1k
  • I am skeptical that Alex Smith comes here.  Hue has a hard-on for McCarron and I think that's who the Browns will target as their veteran QB, since Haslam seems intent on keeping Hue happy.  Haslam is putting a ton of pressure on the FO to find a QB so the Browns will use the #1 pick on a QB.  I like Mayfield but I think the Browns will either go Rosen or Darnold, hopefully they won't go Allen but who knows what they'll do.  Hopefully Fitzpatrick will still be there at #4, secondary needs serious help if Williams insists on blitzing and having 1 on 1 coverage in the secondary.

    Remember when Kessler was setting rookie records for a Browns QB?  seems like ages ago, he could have been the Browns version of Alex Smith had they stuck with him.  Too bad the Browns suck at developing QBs and insist on throwing guys out there for trial by fire.  Browns need a guy who can coach himself, since he won't be getting any good coaching here.  Kizer has the maturity and the work ethic but those panicky situations where he tries to do too much have ruined his rookie season, best case scenario = kizer makes a huge turnaround and calms down, earns the starting position so we don't have to watch McCarron show why he couldn't beat out Dalton or another year of rookie mistakes from the #1 draft pick.

  • I am skeptical that Alex Smith comes here.  Hue has a hard-on for McCarron and I think that's who the Browns will target as their veteran QB, since Haslam seems intent on keeping Hue happy.  Haslam is putting a ton of pressure on the FO to find a QB so the Browns will use the #1 pick on a QB.  I like Mayfield but I think the Browns will either go Rosen or Darnold, hopefully they won't go Allen but who knows what they'll do.  Hopefully Fitzpatrick will still be there at #4, secondary needs serious help if Williams insists on blitzing and having 1 on 1 coverage in the secondary.

    Remember when Kessler was setting rookie records for a Browns QB?  seems like ages ago, he could have been the Browns version of Alex Smith had they stuck with him.  Too bad the Browns suck at developing QBs and insist on throwing guys out there for trial by fire.  Browns need a guy who can coach himself, since he won't be getting any good coaching here.  Kizer has the maturity and the work ethic but those panicky situations where he tries to do too much have ruined his rookie season, best case scenario = kizer makes a huge turnaround and calms down, earns the starting position so we don't have to watch McCarron show why he couldn't beat out Dalton or another year of rookie mistakes from the #1 draft pick.

    @browns1216 said:

    I am skeptical that Alex Smith comes here. 

    He's under contract for the 2018 season.

    If the Browns make a trade with Kansas City for Smith, he wouldn't have any choice.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Cousins won’t come here, save for us offering him like $40m a year. We can forget about that happening.

    - Offer Philly’s second for Smith.

    - Sign two veteran WR’s, preferably a true slot and a solid #2. 

    - Play the Giants off the Broncos for the #1 pick. Send it to NYG for #2, 2018 second-round pick + 2019 third round pick. If they don’t bite, send it to Denver for #5 and a 2019 first + 2018 second.

    Take Minkah with the first pick, Darnold with the second.

    It’s easy as pie and all very doable.

    Giants won't trade a thing since they are likely to be ok with either QB @ #2. And if you trade out with Denver, Darnold won't be there @ #4 or 5. Just not logical for either event to happen, but especially the latter.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Giants won't trade a thing since they are likely to be ok with either QB @ #2. And if you trade out with Denver, Darnold won't be there @ #4 or 5. Just not logical for either event to happen, but especially the latter.

    They’ll prefer one or the other. That’s what good front offices and coaching staffs do, they don’t just go “meh, we’ll take whoever”, especially when the QB’s have different skillsets. Whether that’s Rosen or Darnold is yet to be decided, but you can bet it will be one or the other. 

    I also don’t buy Rosen/Darnold #1/#2. Not when there’s two other QB’s poised to have strong  combines and interviews. A QB needy team will fall in love with Allen and a team will fall in love with Mayfield and that will take two teams out of contention as tradeup possibilities. 

    The only issue is that one of those teams could be Denver, with Allen. Elway likes big arms.

    Regardless, I don’t believe it will be a 1/2 QB year.

  • I'm all for Smith or Cousins.

    KC would save $17 million in cap space by releasing Smith and the full $22 million if they can trade him before his bonus kicks in.

    If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

    If we get Cousins (odds are much lower), then we don't HAVE to take a QB at 1 bc Kirk would be our starter for 5+ years possibly. The only benefit to still drafting a QB at 1 would be, if all goes well, we shouldn't have another opportunity to draft this high.

    Man... an awful lot of retreads being bandied about here.

    @thenew23 said:

    If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

    4? Sit all the way thru the rookie contract and then play in the 5th year option?

    It's two tops... and even then you are looking at drafting another QB just in case.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Actually the key question is what will Dorsey be willing to give up. He did bring him in to KC for an early second and a conditional mid-rounder according to this article. I don't know who those turned out to be or where in the mid rounds they gave up the pick.

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

    I'm also not sure if KC has cap problems that will require then to drop Smith anyway. Heard rumors but don't know the particulars.

    About the right price...

    And, yes, KC has serious cap issues...

    2018 Total Cap Liabilities: $185,916,155 - Top 51: $180,109,232 - Team Cap Space: ($4,824,812) as in they are almost $5mm in the hole for 2018.
     
     
  • @baconhound said:

    If he'd be willing to sign for a reasonable price than by all means.  As a fan of team is 1-31 I really don't care about kneeling, I'll take some victories and then worry about how they look.  Michael Vick is on TV and what he did was a thousand times worse.  Do we still talk about Crows twitter rants?  The Cleveland Browns need good football players.

    A young team struggling to learn how to win needs to minimize distractions. Haslam doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb, but I' sure even he learned from the Johnny disaster.

    Can you imagine all the media swarming in to Cleveland, to cover Kaepernick? No thanks. 

    @bob806 said:

    A young team struggling to learn how to win needs to minimize distractions. Haslam doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb, but I' sure even he learned from the Johnny disaster.

    Can you imagine all the media swarming in to Cleveland, to cover Kaepernick? No thanks. 

    Let the swarm.  Nothing distracting the team this year or last, 1-31.  

    I think we've allowed the media to run wild concerning Kaep, just check the numbers and compare them to Cleveland's jesus.  I'll grant that the game has moved more in the passing direction but there were QBs like Marino, Montana, Moon, Elway etc. who lit people up in the 80s & 90s.

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KosaBe00.htm

  • Cousins won’t come here, save for us offering him like $40m a year. We can forget about that happening.

    - Offer Philly’s second for Smith.

    - Sign two veteran WR’s, preferably a true slot and a solid #2. 

    - Play the Giants off the Broncos for the #1 pick. Send it to NYG for #2, 2018 second-round pick + 2019 third round pick. If they don’t bite, send it to Denver for #5 and a 2019 first + 2018 second.

    Take Minkah with the first pick, Darnold with the second.

    It’s easy as pie and all very doable.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Cousins won’t come here, save for us offering him like $40m a year. We can forget about that happening.

    Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

    @baconhound said:

    Let the swarm.  Nothing distracting the team this year or last, 1-31. 

    I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I don't want to trade anything of value. If we can overpay one of these bums great. I'd rather take a quarterback at number one and another one in the second round than to trade the second round pick.

    WSS

    So you're saying that Alex Smith isn't worth as much as Kizer?

    I'd take Alex Smith, #1, #4 & #33 and give up #35.

    @baconhound said:

    So you're saying that Alex Smith isn't worth as much as Kizer?

    I'd take Alex Smith, #1, #4 & #33 and give up #35.

    Not sure I'm following you. You would give 1 and 4 and 33 to get Alex Smith? 

    I will trade them Kizer straight up. 

    WSS

  • F U C K  Kaep.

  • Man... an awful lot of retreads being bandied about here.

    @thenew23 said:

    If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

    4? Sit all the way thru the rookie contract and then play in the 5th year option?

    It's two tops... and even then you are looking at drafting another QB just in case.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Actually the key question is what will Dorsey be willing to give up. He did bring him in to KC for an early second and a conditional mid-rounder according to this article. I don't know who those turned out to be or where in the mid rounds they gave up the pick.

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

    I'm also not sure if KC has cap problems that will require then to drop Smith anyway. Heard rumors but don't know the particulars.

    About the right price...

    And, yes, KC has serious cap issues...

    2018 Total Cap Liabilities: $185,916,155 - Top 51: $180,109,232 - Team Cap Space: ($4,824,812) as in they are almost $5mm in the hole for 2018.
     
     

    @tour2ma said:

    And, yes, KC has serious cap issues...

    2018 Total Cap Liabilities: $185,916,155 - Top 51: $180,109,232 - Team Cap Space: ($4,824,812) as in they are almost $5mm in the hole for 2018.
     
     

    Their GM must have been really good...

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Cousins won’t come here, save for us offering him like $40m a year. We can forget about that happening.

    Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

    @baconhound said:

    Let the swarm.  Nothing distracting the team this year or last, 1-31. 

    I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

    @tour2ma said:

    Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

    I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

  • @tour2ma said:

    Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

    I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    @hoorta said:

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

  • @hoorta said:

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

    @dutch-oven said:

    That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

    Seriously..(If we) add a coach that looks the part of not over his head,stay healthy? were 2-3 key FA's & a solid draft of 4-6 pieces away..from not watching that wildcard crud..the Last Browns win in a wildcard game? 1994 Browns-20 Patriots-13..pupil beats Parcels..those were the dayes our friends...thought they'd never end 😛  

  • What are the browns plan c for qb?

    qb@1

    sign or trade for vet

    bortles is terrible, who is to say they don’t offer their 28th pick to get Alex smith? Are u willing to give up #4 ? Seems steep 

    i just don’t want it to be the same ol stuff where the browns are left with Teddy Twatwater  

    Cousins wont come here unless it’s 45 mil year or he has Landry Gordon and Pryor 

  • I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

    I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

  • Teddy would be the best QB we've had in a while...

  • Ya know what's sad?  The offseasons have been far more interesting than the regular seasons.  .....just sad.

    I'm sure QB's like Cousins and Smith are just frothing at the mouth to come to Siberia and play QB.   Perhaps if there was some hope of being a playoff team someone like them would come over...otherwise it would be a last resort type of thing...and it would be quite expensive.  Someone like Josh McCown would be more of a possibility.   But we shall see what Dorsey can do.

  • I'd give KC the 2nd rounder we got from the Eagles and the 5th rounder of theirs we have IF it's a sign and trade involving at least a 2 year extension.               I understand the thoughts of QB's not wanting to come here. I truly think we have the ability to promise them a very high powered group of offensive weapons. We will be VERY active in free agency and have draft picks to control the draft. 

  • Nother QB thread. Sweet.

  • I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

    I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

    I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

    Jax has the 28th pick. 

  • This is going to get very interesting over the next 4 months. I listen to Nathan zegura and matt whilhelm podcast. Nathan is all roses. Matt is a realist. Every caller that calls in is salivating at Smith. I’m only posting after seeing how bad bortles is. If I’m their management with What is out there. I’d consider giving up 28