Skip to content

Alex smith

The Browns Board
152 45 7.1k
  • F U C K  Kaep.

  • Man... an awful lot of retreads being bandied about here.

    @thenew23 said:

    If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

    4? Sit all the way thru the rookie contract and then play in the 5th year option?

    It's two tops... and even then you are looking at drafting another QB just in case.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Actually the key question is what will Dorsey be willing to give up. He did bring him in to KC for an early second and a conditional mid-rounder according to this article. I don't know who those turned out to be or where in the mid rounds they gave up the pick.

    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

    I'm also not sure if KC has cap problems that will require then to drop Smith anyway. Heard rumors but don't know the particulars.

    About the right price...

    And, yes, KC has serious cap issues...

    2018 Total Cap Liabilities: $185,916,155 - Top 51: $180,109,232 - Team Cap Space: ($4,824,812) as in they are almost $5mm in the hole for 2018.
     
     

    @tour2ma said:

    And, yes, KC has serious cap issues...

    2018 Total Cap Liabilities: $185,916,155 - Top 51: $180,109,232 - Team Cap Space: ($4,824,812) as in they are almost $5mm in the hole for 2018.
     
     

    Their GM must have been really good...

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Cousins won’t come here, save for us offering him like $40m a year. We can forget about that happening.

    Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

    @baconhound said:

    Let the swarm.  Nothing distracting the team this year or last, 1-31. 

    I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

    @tour2ma said:

    Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

    I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

  • @tour2ma said:

    Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

    I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    @hoorta said:

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

  • @hoorta said:

    After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

    That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

    @dutch-oven said:

    That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

    Seriously..(If we) add a coach that looks the part of not over his head,stay healthy? were 2-3 key FA's & a solid draft of 4-6 pieces away..from not watching that wildcard crud..the Last Browns win in a wildcard game? 1994 Browns-20 Patriots-13..pupil beats Parcels..those were the dayes our friends...thought they'd never end 😛  

  • What are the browns plan c for qb?

    qb@1

    sign or trade for vet

    bortles is terrible, who is to say they don’t offer their 28th pick to get Alex smith? Are u willing to give up #4 ? Seems steep 

    i just don’t want it to be the same ol stuff where the browns are left with Teddy Twatwater  

    Cousins wont come here unless it’s 45 mil year or he has Landry Gordon and Pryor 

  • I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

    I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

  • Teddy would be the best QB we've had in a while...

  • Ya know what's sad?  The offseasons have been far more interesting than the regular seasons.  .....just sad.

    I'm sure QB's like Cousins and Smith are just frothing at the mouth to come to Siberia and play QB.   Perhaps if there was some hope of being a playoff team someone like them would come over...otherwise it would be a last resort type of thing...and it would be quite expensive.  Someone like Josh McCown would be more of a possibility.   But we shall see what Dorsey can do.

  • I'd give KC the 2nd rounder we got from the Eagles and the 5th rounder of theirs we have IF it's a sign and trade involving at least a 2 year extension.               I understand the thoughts of QB's not wanting to come here. I truly think we have the ability to promise them a very high powered group of offensive weapons. We will be VERY active in free agency and have draft picks to control the draft. 

  • Nother QB thread. Sweet.

  • I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

    I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

    I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

    Jax has the 28th pick. 

  • This is going to get very interesting over the next 4 months. I listen to Nathan zegura and matt whilhelm podcast. Nathan is all roses. Matt is a realist. Every caller that calls in is salivating at Smith. I’m only posting after seeing how bad bortles is. If I’m their management with What is out there. I’d consider giving up 28

  • Nother QB thread. Sweet.

    @wargograw said:

    Nother QB thread. Sweet.

    We were short one.

  • Below is a post I made on another topic, but it's relevant here:

    I tend to agree.  There's no denying Barkley is a special talent, but I just don't know if he's the type of back we need.  I'm not saying he isn't, I just need to delve into his film a bit more.  I want to see the games where he had like 50 yards.  I want to see if he's able to break tackles and get the extra yard or two on 3rd down.  I want to see if he can pick up the blitz and block like an NFL back (something most rookie RB struggle with).  

    There's something else to consider too.  Like I said on a previous post, much of our draft will largely depend on the moves we make in free agency.  Specifically, if we trade for or sign Alex Smith, I think drafting Barkley makes a TON of sense.  Anybody remember the two young guys on the Chiefs that tortured so many defenses?  Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt.  Perhaps Saquon Barkley and Duke Johnson can be OUR VERSION, and nobody gets the ball to the backs like Alex Smith.  We could have formations with Duke lined up in the slot, and Barkley in the backfield.  Toss in Njoku, Gordon (please God), and Coleman...and that's pretty dang funky.  I'm not sure what to do with the #4 pick (assuming we draft Barkley #1).  Would we still draft a QB because of Smith's age?  Probably.  Or maybe we go QB #1 and get Barkley at #4.  Whatever.  But none of this matters until we lock up Alex Smith, and that's going to be tough.  The Chiefs gave up some valuable resources to move up for Pat Mahomes (I don't remember specifics), so you can bet they're going to be looking for some ammunition in the 2018 draft.  We HAVE the ammunition....now MAKE the deal.  

  • I'm on the "whatever you have to do to get Alex Smith" bandwagon.  I'm thinking one of our high second round picks would start the deal off nicely, and then give them anything else they ask for EXCEPT for the first rounders (duh).  Then we draft Barkley with one of the first rounders, and probably still a QB with the other considering Smith's age.  Your offensive skill players would HOPEFULLY look like this:

    Alex Smith, David Njoku, Josh Gordon (please Lord), Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson, Saquon Barkley, and Rashard Higgins (or free agent or draft pick).  Rashard Higgins really should've had a decent season.  Kizer missed that guy SO MANY times, and at least twice in the end zone.  Higgins was also the only guy that ever got yards after the catch.  It wasn't MANY, but it was still SOMETHING.  Haven't seen Coleman get YAC yet, and I'm not talking about his two awful drops right now.  

  • I'm on the "whatever you have to do to get Alex Smith" bandwagon.  I'm thinking one of our high second round picks would start the deal off nicely, and then give them anything else they ask for EXCEPT for the first rounders (duh).  Then we draft Barkley with one of the first rounders, and probably still a QB with the other considering Smith's age.  Your offensive skill players would HOPEFULLY look like this:

    Alex Smith, David Njoku, Josh Gordon (please Lord), Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson, Saquon Barkley, and Rashard Higgins (or free agent or draft pick).  Rashard Higgins really should've had a decent season.  Kizer missed that guy SO MANY times, and at least twice in the end zone.  Higgins was also the only guy that ever got yards after the catch.  It wasn't MANY, but it was still SOMETHING.  Haven't seen Coleman get YAC yet, and I'm not talking about his two awful drops right now.  

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm on the "whatever you have to do to get Alex Smith" bandwagon.  I'm thinking one of our high second round picks would start the deal off nicely, and then give them anything else they ask for EXCEPT for the first rounders (duh).  Then we draft Barkley with one of the first rounders, and probably still a QB with the other considering Smith's age.  Your offensive skill players would HOPEFULLY look like this:

    Alex Smith, David Njoku, Josh Gordon (please Lord), Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson, Saquon Barkley, and Rashard Higgins (or free agent or draft pick).  Rashard Higgins really should've had a decent season.  Kizer missed that guy SO MANY times, and at least twice in the end zone.  Higgins was also the only guy that ever got yards after the catch.  It wasn't MANY, but it was still SOMETHING.  Haven't seen Coleman get YAC yet, and I'm not talking about his two awful drops right now.  

    I am of the thought that Nick Chubb is a better RB than Barkley and will be there beginning of Rd 2. We shall see how his value changes before the draft. There are several decent RBs this year better than visionless Crow. I'd get Fitzpatrick and a QB round 1 and wait on the RB. Of course everything depends upon off season acquisitions before the draft. It's all pure speculation until then.

  • Getting alex Smith would be such a browns move. 

    1. He's expensive. Even if we don't have to trade for him he is going to command 15-20 mil per year. That is 2 top free agents we could have signed with that money.

    2. He is a system guy. Alex Smith was terrible for the first 7 years of his career. He had a decent season with Harbaugh and then he landed in the perfect offense for him. He a dink and dunk west coast offense guy. 

    3. He is old. He will be 34 next year and his best attribute is his mobility. He's going to lose a step at some point.

    4. Has missed games in all but 3 seasons of his career. I can already see how this plays out. He plays a handful of games gets hurt and collects his check just like every other veteran we've brought in

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    That Colin Kaepernick fellow is still sitting around doing jack Sh!t and could probably be signed for a dollar fifty. I don't like all the racially and politically charged nonsense that's come in the wake of his protest but I hear he used to be a decent football player once upon a time. 

    Lots of rust not to mention divisive baggage that a young team does not need. 

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Lots of rust not to mention divisive baggage that a young team does not need. 

    Divisive baggage amongst who?  Certainly not the players on the team....and not the coaches and GMs who would have advocated for him to be signed.  So where is the divisiveness?   Among a few fans?   Who give a rat's arse about what fans think?   I mean....this is a 1-31 team...any port in the storm that could help could not be ignored.

    Nevertheless...I am not an advocate of it, simply because I would rather see a veteran that can "mentor"  a young QB.  That is where I would rather see a Smith here for that sort of thing.  

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I'm on the "whatever you have to do to get Alex Smith" bandwagon.  I'm thinking one of our high second round picks would start the deal off nicely, and then give them anything else they ask for EXCEPT for the first rounders (duh).  Then we draft Barkley with one of the first rounders, and probably still a QB with the other considering Smith's age.  Your offensive skill players would HOPEFULLY look like this:

    Alex Smith, David Njoku, Josh Gordon (please Lord), Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson, Saquon Barkley, and Rashard Higgins (or free agent or draft pick).  Rashard Higgins really should've had a decent season.  Kizer missed that guy SO MANY times, and at least twice in the end zone.  Higgins was also the only guy that ever got yards after the catch.  It wasn't MANY, but it was still SOMETHING.  Haven't seen Coleman get YAC yet, and I'm not talking about his two awful drops right now.  

    I am of the thought that Nick Chubb is a better RB than Barkley and will be there beginning of Rd 2. We shall see how his value changes before the draft. There are several decent RBs this year better than visionless Crow. I'd get Fitzpatrick and a QB round 1 and wait on the RB. Of course everything depends upon off season acquisitions before the draft. It's all pure speculation until then.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I am of the thought that Nick Chubb is a better RB than Barkley and will be there beginning of Rd 2. We shall see how his value changes before the draft. There are several decent RBs this year better than visionless Crow. I'd get Fitzpatrick and a QB round 1 and wait on the RB. Of course everything depends upon off season acquisitions before the draft. It's all pure speculation until then.

    I'm with you.  I love the value of a RB in the second round, and there's a BUNCH this year.  Chubb, Guice, and Bryce Love will be around there somewhere.